Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:12:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... 62 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] 💦💦 HYDRO 💦💦 Security & Identity on the Blockchain  (Read 39232 times)
Cryptoinvestor54

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 07:05:45 PM

The pitch seems similar to other finance-focused projects like ripple/stellar. What's going to separate it from those

I think the biggest difference is that xrp/xlm are more focused towards payment systems. Hydro seems to be more focused on finance as a whole.
XRP and XLM are definitely geared toward payments solutions, but XLM also seems to be building more of a platform (with tokens being launched and FairX exchange, etc). At the end of the day, they are both protocols designed for large-scale payment processing and they offer tangible benefits for financial companies in terms of operational efficiency and speed.

It does seem like they might be targeting the same kinds of companies as Hydro though
The functionality of Hydro is very different from Ripple and Stellar. We are building a more diverse set of products rather than building our own protocol or focusing on the actual mechanisms of token transfer.

In terms of general design, the main differentiator is the hybrid private-public model Hydro promotes. It adds blockchain as a separate layer to off-chain systems and integrates the two, so companies don't need to rebuild their systems from the ground up with blockchain (and waste tons of money and time). This is how we think blockchain will get adopted in the real world more readily.

So it seems like then hydro might be targeting a different demographic than the other two since they require more of a completely restructuring of any application currently used right? Are there any other tokens focused more in this area like hydro is?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
goplgopl

Activity: 9

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 07:09:49 PM

The pitch seems similar to other finance-focused projects like ripple/stellar. What's going to separate it from those

I think the biggest difference is that xrp/xlm are more focused towards payment systems. Hydro seems to be more focused on finance as a whole.
XRP and XLM are definitely geared toward payments solutions, but XLM also seems to be building more of a platform (with tokens being launched and FairX exchange, etc). At the end of the day, they are both protocols designed for large-scale payment processing and they offer tangible benefits for financial companies in terms of operational efficiency and speed.

It does seem like they might be targeting the same kinds of companies as Hydro though
The functionality of Hydro is very different from Ripple and Stellar. We are building a more diverse set of products rather than building our own protocol or focusing on the actual mechanisms of token transfer.

In terms of general design, the main differentiator is the hybrid private-public model Hydro promotes. It adds blockchain as a separate layer to off-chain systems and integrates the two, so companies don't need to rebuild their systems from the ground up with blockchain (and waste tons of money and time). This is how we think blockchain will get adopted in the real world more readily.

So it seems like then hydro might be targeting a different demographic than the other two since they require more of a completely restructuring of any application currently used right? Are there any other tokens focused more in this area like hydro is?
Now that I think about it, Hyperledger is probably the most direct competitor. If I was a big business I'd probably be looking at Hyperledger because they offer more custom solutions to integrate blockchain for w/e I need and they'll work with my current infrastructure. So it's along the same lines as Hydro

Brings up an interesting thought about IBM - they are building apps with Stellar but also one of the main funders of Hyperledger
ProjectHydro (OP)

Activity: 161
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 07:15:51 PM
Last edit: February 08, 2018, 09:06:20 PM by ProjectHydro

Now that I think about it, Hyperledger is probably the most direct competitor. If I was a big business I'd probably be looking at Hyperledger because they offer more custom solutions to integrate blockchain for w/e I need and they'll work with my current infrastructure. So it's along the same lines as Hydro

Brings up an interesting thought about IBM - they are building apps with Stellar but also one of the main funders of Hyperledger
Most of the implementation that Hyperledger/IBM do will be private blockchains (i.e. chains in which ownership of nodes is centralized). This was a key point of consideration for us when building Hydro - we firmly believe that the concept of a "private blockchain" is self-defeating in many ways, and offers little benefit beyond traditional databases and other off-chain protocols. The hybrid private-public paradigm we are putting forth attempts to create a win-win, where enterprises maintain control over their private systems while being able to access the key benefits offered by a public ledger (such as transparency, security, and decentralization).
Cryptoinvestor54

Activity: 4

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 07:23:25 PM

Most of the implementation that Hyperledger/IBM do will be private blockchains (i.e. chains in which ownership of nodes  is centralized). This was a key point of consideration for us when building Hydro - we firmly believe that the concept of a "private blockchain" is self-defeating in many ways, and offers little benefit beyond traditional databases and other off-chain protocols. The hybrid private-public paradigm we are putting forth attempts to create a win-win, where enterprises maintain control over their private systems while being able to access the key benefits offered by a public ledger (such as transparency, security, and decentralization).

Yeah I feel like big banks and stuff like that wont want to use public chains because they are then unable to keep private user data private. I could see something that allows banks to keep most data private would be useful
goplgopl

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 07:28:09 PM

Most of the implementation that Hyperledger/IBM do will be private blockchains (i.e. chains in which ownership of nodes  is centralized). This was a key point of consideration for us when building Hydro - we firmly believe that the concept of a "private blockchain" is self-defeating in many ways, and offers little benefit beyond traditional databases and other off-chain protocols. The hybrid private-public paradigm we are putting forth attempts to create a win-win, where enterprises maintain control over their private systems while being able to access the key benefits offered by a public ledger (such as transparency, security, and decentralization).

Yeah I feel like big banks and stuff like that wont want to use public chains because they are then unable to keep private user data private. I could see something that allows banks to keep most data private would be useful
I agree with you here. There's already been huge pushback from banks about public ledgers. Ripple tried to solve that with gateway (centralized) nodes, but it doesn't look like a viable long-term solution.

This hybrid system probably makes the most sense for adoption, either that or we get some way to make on-chain data private without slowing down transaction times (which seems unlikely for now).

Definitely interesting stuff here with Hydro, I'll have to keep an eye on where this goes
ProjectHydro (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 07:31:10 PM

I agree with you here. There's already been huge pushback from banks about public ledgers. Ripple tried to solve that with gateway (centralized) nodes, but it doesn't look like a viable long-term solution.

This hybrid system probably makes the most sense for adoption, either that or we get some way to make on-chain data private without slowing down transaction times (which seems unlikely for now).

Definitely interesting stuff here with Hydro, I'll have to keep an eye on where this goes
It makes sense from the enterprise's perspective, and we understand that. It's a huge liability to have potentially sensitive data floating around on a publicly available ledger.

With that being said, Hyperledger is definitely a competitor for Hydro.
goplgopl

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 07:35:52 PM

quote author=ProjectHydro link=topic=2778123.msg29883253#msg29883253 date=1518118270]

It makes sense from the enterprise's perspective, and we understand that. It's a huge liability to have potentially sensitive data floating around on a publicly available ledger.

[/quote]Ethereum scaling might be a problem in trying to compete with Hyperledger Fabric
ProjectHydro (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 07:39:42 PM
Last edit: February 08, 2018, 08:06:54 PM by ProjectHydro

Most of the implementation that Hyperledger/IBM do will be private blockchains (i.e. chains in which ownership of nodes  is centralized). This was a key point of consideration for us when building Hydro - we firmly believe that the concept of a "private blockchain" is self-defeating in many ways, and offers little benefit beyond traditional databases and other off-chain protocols. The hybrid private-public paradigm we are putting forth attempts to create a win-win, where enterprises maintain control over their private systems while being able to access the key benefits offered by a public ledger (such as transparency, security, and decentralization).

Ethereum scaling might be a problem in trying to compete with Hyperledger Fabric
We're keeping a close eye on Ethereum scaling proposals (e.g. Casper). We are confident that the platform will succeed long-term, but we are not tied to Ethereum. If it can't scale, we'll move to another framework.

Our strategy is to release products with lower transaction loads up front (like the Raindrop auth), and when we get to products and features with higher volume, we will be in a much better place as far as on-chain scalability goes.
blink_stun

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 08:17:45 PM

A lot of developers will be very happy with this Airdrop. How I wish I can join this Airdrop. Not a dev but very skilled with computer stuff including SEO.

ostrogoto2012

Activity: 1134
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 08:18:02 PM

Project himself look goog but don't trust this kind of airdrop ,  it would be better to use signature for the airdrop anyone! I mean it would be nice to get any airdrop using a signature

██████████
                   ████████████
                 ██████████████
               ████████████████
             ██████████████████
██████████           ██████████          ██████████
██████████           █████████           ██████████
██████████           ███████     ██████████████████
██████████████████████████     ████████████████████
████████████████████████     ██████████████████████
██████████████████████     ████████████████████████
████████████████████     ██████████████████████████
██████████████████     ███████           ██████████
██████████           █████████           ██████████
██████████          ██████████           ██████████
                    ██████████████████
                    ████████████████
                    ██████████████
                    ████████████
                    ██████████
.PrimeDAO - An Adoption Engine for Open Finance.
ProjectHydro (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 08:47:23 PM

A lot of developers will be very happy with this Airdrop. How I wish I can join this Airdrop. Not a dev but very skilled with computer stuff including SEO.
If you think you might want to try to build something with Hydro in the future, it could be a good idea to sign up for the airdrop now  Smiley
ProjectHydro (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 08:49:51 PM

Project himself look goog but don't trust this kind of airdrop ,  it would be better to use signature for the airdrop anyone! I mean it would be nice to get any airdrop using a signature
The signup only takes less than 2 minutes to register for the airdrop!
Phash2k

Activity: 532
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2018, 10:11:45 PM

as a developer I will take a closer look at this

Crypto-Beratung und Hilfe bei allen möglichen Crypto-Projekten oder Problemen! https://phash.de
goplgopl

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 10:34:36 PM

I'm trying to figure out how/when an authentication attempt ever expires? If I authenticate once, what prevents me from always being authenticated
HydroAndy

Activity: 33

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 10:43:08 PM

I'm trying to figure out how/when an authentication attempt ever expires? If I authenticate once, what prevents me from always being authenticated

In our smart contract we implemented a block timeout. This forces any specific address to authenticate once per day.
goplgopl

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 10:48:59 PM

In our smart contract we implemented a block timeout. This forces any specific address to authenticate once per day.
Are you doing that on chain? How do you track when a day has passed from a block? Or do you do it in the API level
HydroAndy

Activity: 33

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 11:02:07 PM

Are you doing that on chain? How do you track when a day has passed from a block? Or do you do it in the API level

In solidity it is very easy to track this on the blockchain. We simply have a variable in authentication requests that stores the time of the request + 1 day. If the current block is higher than this then the request is invalid.
chalizzard

Activity: 6

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 09:18:50 AM

Interesting project but Only Developers can receive airdrop? Huh
ProjectHydro (OP)

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 02:52:11 PM

Interesting project but Only Developers can receive airdrop? Huh
Yes, in order to participate in the airdrop you have to sign up as a developer. However, this is not limited to just people who are professional developers - if you have interest in building something with Hydro, you can sign up!
ProjectHydro (OP)

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 03:14:16 PM

So excited to be part of this project Smiley
Glad to have you on board!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... 62 »
  Print  

Jump to: