Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 08:45:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CoinTerra Unveils a 2TH/s ASIC Bitcoin Miner : TerraMiner IV  (Read 18560 times)
gkm22d

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 06:48:54 PM

I suppose if you had no idea what bitcoins were or how mining worked, it would seem like a great deal. Half the cost, half the power consumption of knc, it does sound like a good deal.

Perhaps the folks at cointerra should spend some more time on the bitcoin wiki?
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitweasil

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 07:25:31 PM

Standard businesses risk THEIR OWN MONEY in order to make a profit - ASIC vendors are not "standard businesses", as they take no risk for themselves as all the operation is financed by customer's money.

I'd say ASIC vendors are a "too good to be true" businesses. The point is that this madness will end soonish, mining will get "pro" and amateurs will be just cut out of the business, mining will be profitable only for those being able to design their own chips, cover NRE costs and then produce tons of chips at a small cost, "consumers" will just be totally cut out of the equation. Meanwhile, some see the huge business opportunity in getting advanced money by greedy customers, and they are just trying to exploit the short time window in which these pre-order shenanigans still work.

They're doing a very good job of optimizing to their environment, which does include customers basically throwing money at them in exchange for an early delivery...

Live by the unregulated wild west of Bitcoin, die by the unregulated wild west of Bitcoin?

If you don't like what they're offering, just don't buy.  Pretty simple.

Need high quality, rack mountable GPU clusters for OpenCL work or password auditing?  http://www.stricture-group.com/
Street Jammer

Activity: 251

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 07:58:27 PM

in dec 2013 / jan 14 at 15K price lol ?

Loredo

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 08:04:36 PM

I just don't get not accepting BTC.  That just seems insane.  They have to be the only ASIC/FPGA company yet that doesn't accept BTC.
To a CFO, or such investors as there might be, it make total sense to not accept BTC.  Every day's orders, a different sales price.  The extreme volatility.  The lack of liquidity and low cost cost exchange.  We all know the issues.

And, I'd hazard a guess: every single component of the product has to be paid in USD.  

So I can see a CFO saying, were the product already produced, "Okay, accept them.  I'll see what I can do in terms of risk management."  But to do so at t=0, with USD payments having to be made at t in {1...120}.  Not really insane at all.
HTML5 Gordon

Activity: 184

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 08:16:00 PM

"Unveil" usually means actually having something to show.

This whole "ASIC era" of bitcoin is turning out to be some real sad bullshit.
dhenson
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 08:30:38 PM

I just don't get not accepting BTC.  That just seems insane.  They have to be the only ASIC/FPGA company yet that doesn't accept BTC.
To a CFO, or such investors as there might be, it make total sense to not accept BTC.  Every day's orders, a different sales price.  The extreme volatility.  The lack of liquidity and low cost cost exchange.  We all know the issues.

And, I'd hazard a guess: every single component of the product has to be paid in USD.  

So I can see a CFO saying, were the product already produced, "Okay, accept them.  I'll see what I can do in terms of risk management."  But to do so at t=0, with USD payments having to be made at t in {1...120}.  Not really insane at all.

Your entire statement can be refuted with one word.

Bitpay

Not taking Bitcoin is like trying to sell grandma's hand-rolled tortilla's in Mexico and not accepting Peso's.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 08:33:13 PM

I just don't get not accepting BTC.  That just seems insane.  They have to be the only ASIC/FPGA company yet that doesn't accept BTC.
To a CFO, or such investors as there might be, it make total sense to not accept BTC.  Every day's orders, a different sales price.  The extreme volatility.  The lack of liquidity and low cost cost exchange.  We all know the issues.

So I can see a CFO saying, were the product already produced, "Okay, accept them.  I'll see what I can do in terms of risk management."  But to do so at t=0, with USD payments having to be made at t in {1...120}.  Not really insane at all.

Your entire statement can be refuted with one word.

Bitpay

This.  Company can price in USD, customer pays in BTC and company receives USD in bank account the next day.  This isn't theoretical multiple ASIC manufacturers have done this to date.
BBQKorv

Activity: 280

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 08:33:19 PM

If you can keep your schedule and accept CC payments, I can see this as a viable option.

Now the most important step for you is to have some device hashing in front of the cameras to prove your capabilities.

How far away are the first ASIC engineering samples?
Vagnavs
Legendary

Activity: 1121
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 08:41:09 PM

If you can keep your schedule and accept CC payments, I can see this as a viable option.

Now the most important step for you is to have some device hashing in front of the cameras to prove your capabilities.

How far away are the first ASIC engineering samples?

good luck, even if they could accept cc. ROI negative

but let this thread, die!

Avalanche is a must own
Plazma

Activity: 224

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 01:13:42 AM

Looking for places to invest. Nothing to see here.

BTC: 1A1Mwjfw2mTko4N2UuVQ3RK4hXJunsPA3j
XMP: AcT3PK4wofjCMt6irN4HXENUqPvoBJRWk3
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 11:18:18 AM

More retarded argument of the day. Did you know about Bitpay? Consumer pays in BTC, company gets USD.

Not accepting BTC is simply ridiculous.

senseless

Activity: 1118
Merit: 541

View Profile
August 24, 2013, 02:21:29 PM

$15,750!?  To me, that says "Hi.  I'm Cointerra.  I'm only interested in talking to you if you have a TON of money laying around for an asic."

Anybody with any real interest in the bitcoin community would be willing to serve all customers, not just wealthy ones.

This is a very unfortunate mistake you are making.  It obviously only benefits very few with deep pockets, it is an absolute disgrace to the bitcoin community as a whole.  It has no value whatsoever to low-end consumers (miners) - the very people that brought bitcoin into existence.  What a horrible business model, nothing more than a quick exploit for big profits.

If you are interested, have a look at a company who serves the entire community:  AsicMiner (friedcat) has everything from low-end USB sticks to blades.  Something for everyone.  (You'll figure out after you fail that "something for everyone" was something you've overlooked while you were blinded by huge hash rates selling for tons of money)

Will it make you happy knowing that so many out there would love to own a product like this, but that you've completely priced most of them out?  You deserve to fail, miserably.

We actually have a full product line of various hashing rates and price points, in order to serve "something for everyone", that will be released later this month. We did an early unveiling of this highend product due to immense interest we have received.

I am sorry you wish that we fail, miserably. We are working extremely diligently to support this community and develop the most advanced ASIC yet.

What are the details of your miner protection plan equivalent?

You have not posted any details and your terms of sale leave much to be desired.

FCTaiChi

Activity: 308

decentralizedhashing.com

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2013, 03:46:34 PM

I'd say ASIC vendors are a "too good to be true" businesses. The point is that this madness will end soonish, mining will get "pro" and amateurs will be just cut out of the business, mining will be profitable only for those being able to design their own chips, cover NRE costs and then produce tons of chips at a small cost, "consumers" will just be totally cut out of the equation. Meanwhile, some see the huge business opportunity in getting advanced money by greedy customers, and they are just trying to exploit the short time window in which these pre-order shenanigans still work.
I think about this a lot.  This is why I made my website, to keep people informed of the best deals and support the companies that are keeping bitcoin decentralized.  If the greater share of the hashrate is controlled by a few large farms growth, stability and the core nature of bitcoin can become compromised.

Mining Equipment Comparison Table                               Bitcoin News                             1nKAizrhGzvLfWBVfX8fGLAs6kxKV7aXM
gkm22d

View Profile
August 24, 2013, 09:22:59 PM

Haven't heard anything new in a few days. I wonder if lots of people are buying these units?

It seems like competitors will be able to demolish these prices by the time December rolls around. Who cares about efficiency at this point in the game?

Do you think they will try again or stick with BFL's prices?
tom99

Activity: 420

View Profile
August 24, 2013, 09:42:27 PM

Haven't heard anything new in a few days. I wonder if lots of people are buying these units?

It seems like competitors will be able to demolish these prices by the time December rolls around. Who cares about efficiency at this point in the game?

I dont think many buyer for high end price and you are not going to preorder for 15kUSD for it.
monkee

Activity: 172

View Profile
August 24, 2013, 11:02:56 PM

http://mining.thegenesisblock.com/

set to december

never roi Sad

they HAVE to reboot prices or increase hash power to ever sell a unit

if it were $4,000 cheaper, it would roi for about 2 seconds then become unprofitable and that is if difficulty does NOT increase any faster (fat chance!)
senseless

Activity: 1118
Merit: 541

View Profile
August 25, 2013, 06:02:43 AM

http://mining.thegenesisblock.com/

set to december

never roi Sad

they HAVE to reboot prices or increase hash power to ever sell a unit

if it were $4,000 cheaper, it would roi for about 2 seconds then become unprofitable and that is if difficulty does NOT increase any faster (fat chance!)

If they had some sort of miner protection plan in place it could make it viable. But they've yet to answer my inquiries about it and have not heard anymore since they said they were going to have a very "friendly" policy for delays (which is counter to their terms of sale).

worldinacoin

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 25, 2013, 06:27:12 AM

Tired of all the pre-announcements.   How about selling when your product is ready and ready to ship?
dan99

Activity: 406

View Profile
August 25, 2013, 09:30:43 AM

Tired of all the pre-announcements.   How about selling when your product is ready and ready to ship?

nicely spoken
gkm22d

View Profile
August 25, 2013, 09:36:58 AM

Oh, I don't mind preorders. I think a lot of people will be terribly dissapointed when they realize that no preorder means no profit.

Why would you sell a product in hand for less than you would get from mining with it?  Are there any asic manufacturers listed as charities?

16k still too expensive. I would purchase immediately for 10k though.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: