Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:35:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Walter Block  (Read 5168 times)
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
January 15, 2011, 08:17:59 PM

From reading about BitCoin I was under the impression that a user like me would be able to generate some BitCoins by running my laptop for several hours.

As more computing power has become used for generation (particularly GPU cards), the generation difficulty has been automatically compensating by increasing greatly.

Plug your generation speed (kHash/s) into the generation calculator here, to see how long on average it will take to generate a block of 50 coins:
http://www.alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator.php
I hate to be the one to break the news to you, but for a laptop it's likely to be more than a year.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Script

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 15, 2011, 09:18:11 PM

I hate to be the one to break the news to you, but for a laptop it's likely to be more than a year.

Brutal.  I just plugged in the calculations and you're right: my average is about 209 days.  Once again I've arrived at a trend a year or so too late.  So my laptop chugging away at generating bitcoins is pretty worthless.  Ha ha, oh well. 

My goal was to generate enough bitcoins to buy my wife a Valentine's day gift from Shaman's Scents to prove to my friends that bitcoin is a legitimate currency. 

kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
January 15, 2011, 09:19:06 PM

You could join a pool mining effort.

The Script

View Profile
January 15, 2011, 09:51:22 PM

Ha ha, I actually just joined one right before I read your post.  Smiley

Someone will probably point out that I can always buy bitcoins and use them to purchase the Shaman Scents products, but my goal is to get bitcoins without using any standard form of currency.  So either mine them or receive them in trade for goods and services and then use the bitcoins to buy something.  This is mostly as a proof to skeptical friends or family.

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 15, 2011, 11:00:45 PM

Brutal.  I just plugged in the calculations and you're right: my average is about 209 days.  Once again I've arrived at a trend a year or so too late.  So my laptop chugging away at generating bitcoins is pretty worthless.  Ha ha, oh well. 

My goal was to generate enough bitcoins to buy my wife a Valentine's day gift from Shaman's Scents to prove to my friends that bitcoin is a legitimate currency. 

What city do you herald from?  Someone here might have some work for you to do.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2011, 11:25:24 PM

Someone will probably point out that I can always buy bitcoins and use them to purchase the Shaman Scents products, but my goal is to get bitcoins without using any standard form of currency.  So either mine them or receive them in trade for goods and services and then use the bitcoins to buy something.  This is mostly as a proof to skeptical friends or family.

Obviously it would be cool to have found bitcoin at the very start, but it's still early. You can join a pool and you'll get the same amount, but spread out. So if it would take 200 days to get 50 coins, you will get roughly 1 every 4 days with the pool. http://mining.bitcoin.cz/

Also you can get .05 from the faucet to show the mechanics of sending and receiving.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
The Script

View Profile
January 15, 2011, 11:42:16 PM

What city do you herald from?  Someone here might have some work for you to do.

I live in Alaska....   Tongue
The Script

View Profile
January 15, 2011, 11:50:42 PM

Obviously it would be cool to have found bitcoin at the very start, but it's still early. You can join a pool and you'll get the same amount, but spread out. So if it would take 200 days to get 50 coins, you will get roughly 1 every 4 days with the pool. http://mining.bitcoin.cz/

Also you can get .05 from the faucet to show the mechanics of sending and receiving.

I joined Slush's pool mining operation, but am having trouble with the actual mining program.  Mostly because I don't know what the hell I'm doing and have very little tech/programming experience.
Sultan

Activity: 214
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 16, 2011, 02:49:34 AM

I joined Slush's pool mining operation, but am having trouble with the actual mining program.  Mostly because I don't know what the hell I'm doing and have very little tech/programming experience.

Are you using Windows?

http://images.onbux.com/banner.gif
I then use the money to buy BitCoins. You can too!
The Script

View Profile
January 16, 2011, 02:51:42 AM

Yes...

Are you using Windows?
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: