Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 04:23:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A bitcoin ponzi scheme scam ADVERTISED on bitcointalk.org ?? WHY???  (Read 2680 times)
1PFYcabWEwZFm2Ez5LGTx3ftz (OP)

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 08:45:05 AM

I just saw this advertisement on the forum: https://i.imgur.com/1q2jYFQ.png

After clicking on it, I got sent to - https://www.bitmit.net/item/15000/

"Send me 1 Bitcoins (BTC) now, and I will transfer 3 Bitcoins (BTC) over the Bitcoin network to a single-transaction Bitcoin address of your choice within 3 calendar years. The transfer will be carried out even if Bitmit is no longer operational at that point in time.

The first few orders will be shipped a priori; the succeeding ones may or may not be shipped a priori."

C'mon, seriously?  Grin Huh Angry

It is an obvious ponzi scheme like this one: http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/07/sec-says-man-named-the-pirate-was-running-bitcoin-ponzi-scheme/

Why is this advertised on this forum officially?? Sad
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 10:08:10 AM

maybe there is not proof that they have scammed yet. there is a tiny chance that just mayve it is not a ponzi. there is no way to tell for sure.
Birdy

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 10:48:26 AM

maybe there is not proof that they have scammed yet. there is a tiny chance that just mayve it is not a ponzi. there is no way to tell for sure.

Seriously? 1 Bitcoin for 3 some days later? Get your common sense straight (Ok I think you are just being sarcastic).
Op is right, this shouldn't be advertised.
greyhawk

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 10:51:49 AM

Hahahahaahahahahahahahahahaha!
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 11:59:21 AM

Why is this advertised on this forum officially?? Sad

@theymos

Seems like there needs to be a little more ad regulation.  The odds of this person actually paying back are slim to none.  This combined with someone trying to CSS script inject and still getting their text ad run call for something to be done.  It shouldn't just be you win you get your ad up no matter what.

I'm not sure what the process should be, but there needs to be something IMO.
greyhawk

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 12:07:37 PM

I'm not sure what the process should be, but there needs to be something IMO.

"Crowdsource" it.

Have a page listing all current ads with a "report" button next to each. When 3 or more reports are submitted from 3 or more independent IP C classes auto-suspend the ad until it is reviewed by staff.
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4186
Merit: 8435

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2013, 02:30:35 PM

So, no more miner ads anywhere on the forum, enh?  (I mean that the mining drama fest will aggressively push report on most hated miner companies)
greyhawk

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 03:39:27 PM

So, no more miner ads anywhere on the forum, enh?  (I mean that the mining drama fest will aggressively push report on most hated miner companies)

That's why I put the independent IP range requirement in there. Of course with BFL hate being what it is, you might be right.
J603

Activity: 196

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 03:58:02 PM

I have a KNCminer ad on this thread, so they're not all gone.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5208
Merit: 13021

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 08:46:05 PM

The three-year timespan makes it seem possible IMO. If you think that the value of bitcoins will go down a lot at some point in the next three years, making this kind of offer is a sort-of-reasonable way of selling short without actually selling (for example). Could he get a long-term loan much cheaper?

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5208
Merit: 13021

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 08:58:08 PM

Anyway, I can't usually guess at how safe advertised services are. I would reject a really obvious Ponzi scheme, but this isn't so obvious IMO. Will BFL ever ship? Will KnCMiner? Even a service like MtGox might never enable USD withdrawals... I'm not going to reject every ad that might possibly be a scam.

A reporting scheme wouldn't tell me anything that I don't already know. There are only 7 available ad slots. I review every ad.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 09:00:00 PM

Why do people use the term ponzi scheme for everything?

It may be fraud, it may be highly likely "investors" will lose everything but it certainly isn't a ponzi scheme.

Someone not paying back a loan isn't a ponzi scheme it is a default.
Someone taking out a loan with the intent to not repay it isn't a ponzi scheme it is fraud.

I think some people think the definition of a ponzi scheme is

ponzi scheme: (n) something bad involving money where someone loses
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 11:57:15 PM

I wouldn't call this a ponzi either, but why would anyone take a loan paying back 200% interest over 3 years?  There's no way this is legit, that's just a ridiculous rate especially taking into account that BTC will most likely go up in $ value.

Could he get a long-term loan much cheaper?

He should most definitely be able to get a cheaper loan.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 12:15:07 AM

The guy bought the ad hoping enough people would fall for it; I'm hoping he's unsuccessful and won't try it again.  But I wouldn't feel bad if people, in three years, realized they weren't getting their money back, which is precisely what I believe will happen.  I wouldn't make a loan to a guy who was advertising on BitMit, anyway; he's asking for loans from a lot of people, none of which he'll ever know personally, and if he isn't able to triple all the money he took in, he'll throw his hands up and say "Sorry, I don't have it!" and that'll just be tough--which is also assuming the guy is completely honest, which requires trust, and if you'll give that trust up so easily, then I see a long and hard road ahead.

But anyway, I don't see any problem with it, even if it is an obvious scam; people need to learn to be responsible with their money, and scoff at such attempts to take their coins through such flimsy promises.  Say no to herding!

Kouye

Activity: 336

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 12:17:00 AM

Anyway, I can't usually guess at how safe advertised services are. I would reject a really obvious Ponzi scheme, but this isn't so obvious IMO. Will BFL ever ship? Will KnCMiner? Even a service like MtGox might never enable USD withdrawals... I'm not going to reject every ad that might possibly be a scam.

A reporting scheme wouldn't tell me anything that I don't already know. There are only 7 available ad slots. I review every ad.

I understand that's time-consuming, and bound to fail as a one-man-evaluation.
How about you throw the winning adds for review to your trusted circle and ask for feedback?
Being backed up probably would make things easier for you, too.

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
Birdy

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 12:21:03 AM

But anyway, I don't see any problem with it, even if it is an obvious scam; people need to learn to be responsible with their money, and scoff at such attempts to take their coins through such flimsy promises.  Say no to herding!

Yes, people should be able to spot obvious scams themselves but:
It hurts the image of the board and Bitcoin if it's associated with scam (and you will associate it with scam, if it's all over the place)
Also Bitcoin is a new technology and something that is obvious scam to us, may not be so obvious for newcomers.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 12:31:26 AM

Yes, people should be able to spot obvious scams themselves but:
It hurts the image of the board and Bitcoin if it's associated with scam (and you will associate it with scam, if it's all over the place)
Also Bitcoin is a new technology and something that is obvious scam to us, may not be so obvious for newcomers.

There's no avoiding it; the USD is associated with more scams than we will ever know about.  It's better to say, money allows scams to happen, and not even this is true; you can scam people with anything, you could scam someone out of their things or scam someone out of their health, without ever bothering with a trade of cash.  We can pretend all day that Bitcoin isn't used for scams, but we know, even without having a clue what Bitcoin is, that if it is money, it is used by scammers.

Besides, newcomers to Bitcoin who would fall for scams would have to be newcomers to the concept of scamming itself; what better way to acquaint a person with the fact that there are scammers than through publicly portraying the scammer and their petty attempts at taking money?  We are better to show everyone the scammer, than to hide him from the individual, who may be unaware of dishonest people, who will then cry on the forum about how he lost a bitcoin to so-and-so and can't understand how someone would do that and wants the person to be banned without bothering to understand that the scammer can come right back under a new guise.  One of the key features of Bitcoin, I believe, is the ability to have complete distrust in people--but it is a feature one must employ; it doesn't happen by itself.  At some point in time, the newcomer must understand that trust isn't something to simply give out, not to the scammer, not to the forum, not their elected officials etc.; and especially true when it comes to whom they give their money.

Birdy

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 01:16:25 AM

There's no avoiding it; -snip-
We cannot avoid that some scam is there, yes. But we can avoid that the forum is filled to the rim with it.
There is a good reason moderation on forums exists and this includes scam.

Besides, newcomers to Bitcoin who would fall for scams would have to be newcomers to the concept of scamming itself;
Not necessarily, there are lots of things you have to learn to avoid scam/loss of Bitcoins.

One of the key features of Bitcoin, I believe, is the ability to have complete distrust in people
It removes trust only for one side of the transaction.
And there are even more things that require trust. Not everybody can read the source code to check that it's fine. What exchanges can you use? Which websites provide reliable information e.g. about how to securely store your coins?...

We are better to show everyone the scammer, than to hide him from the individual
Don't worry, there are enough scam attempts that everyone has a chance to see, even with moderation xD
e.g. I do think the way to label them scammer instead of banning them is good.
theDF

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 01:30:54 AM

Hmm... seems to be admin need to review every ads that appears in bitcointalk
1PFYcabWEwZFm2Ez5LGTx3ftz (OP)

Activity: 120

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 01:42:23 AM
Last edit: August 21, 2013, 02:08:44 AM by 1PFYcabWEwZFm2Ez5LGTx3ftz

Why do people use the term ponzi scheme for everything?

It may be fraud, it may be highly likely "investors" will lose everything but it certainly isn't a ponzi scheme.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponzi_scheme "A Ponzi scheme is a fraudulent investment operation that pays returns to its investors from their own money or the money paid by subsequent investors, rather than from profit earned by the individual or organization running the operation."

And this is exactly what this advertisement is about. He doesn't promise to invest them in some new and exciting project, he just promises to give back 3x more. This is a textbook example of a ponzi scheme.

I am baffled that the administration even seriously considers that this might not be a scam. Can you name even one case in all human history, where 200% interest was promised for loans and it was NOT a scam?

You (the forum's administration) are shooting yourselves in the leg here. Advertising scams and even arguing "well maybe it's not a scam" seriously hurts your credibility, and in the long run you lose a lot more than you gained from what the scammer payed for the advert.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: