Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 01:26:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin-qt wallet issues  (Read 4550 times)
jtrad (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 02:06:36 PM
Last edit: August 20, 2013, 02:18:21 PM by jtrad

Hello, I searched this and found several threads with people having the same problem in the past but being a noob I wanted to make sure I was about to do the right thing.

Opening my bitcoin-qt wallet this morning I got the following message:

(I am using windows 7)

EXCEPTION: 11DbException      
Db::put: Not enough space      
C:\Program Files (x86)\Bitcoin\bitcoin-qt.exe in ProcessMessages()  

I tried restarting and after a few times it appeared to be updating again but it would pause for a long time and then give me the above message again.

I opened the debug log file and found many many pages of this:

ERROR: FetchInputs() : 43420ee807 mempool Tx prev not found d78773c85f
stored orphan tx 43420ee807 (mapsz 963)
received getdata for: tx d87874b2f5844137b8eb
ERROR: FetchInputs() : ede1092fc9 mempool Tx prev not found 4f01284696
stored orphan tx ede1092fc9 (mapsz 964)
UPnP Port Mapping successful.
ERROR: FetchInputs() : a80771b51b mempool Tx prev not found d7678ad97a
stored orphan tx a80771b51b (mapsz 965)

In reading the other posts in the past about this people say to back up wallet.dat and reload the chain again.  I want to make sure that is isn't newer wisdom out there over this before I do anything.

Thank you.

Edit: the obvious question on the first error is do I have enough disk space and I have tons so that isn't it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jtrad (OP)

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 02:22:21 PM

This is the error message from the top of the debug.txt:

ProcessMessage(block, 249218 bytes) FAILED
received block 00000000000000152c90
Postponing 532 reconnects
REORGANIZE
REORGANIZE: Disconnect 0 blocks; 000000000000004bd037..000000000000004bd037
REORGANIZE: Connect 1 blocks; 000000000000004bd037..0000000000000024b58e

I don't know if that is relevant.
kanojo

Activity: 6

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 02:42:37 PM

> Db::put: Not enough space

since you telling you do have a disk space...
make sure your wallet.dat is not corrupt: copy it manually to an external drive or something, or if you can open client, do it ALSO with a client, then close client and free some disk space. if you never had and not expecting any BTC to any address in your wallet in the first place don't worry about it that much at the moment.

double-check if your binaries are not broken(redownload, reinstall the client files). if it doesn't help a problem, i would suggest testing your disk and memory. (for disk in Linux we always get io errors in syslog, i'd think windows would do the same, in the "event log" of "computer management")
jtrad (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 01:34:33 AM

Right now I have my wallet.dat backed up and I moved the blockchain dats out of the bitcoin folder and I am trying to reload the entire chain. 

The problem is I can only download a few thousand blocks at a time and then the wallet hangs and I have to restart it.  It could take several days to download the chain like this.  Hopefully I don't get 99.7% of the way through and it gives me the same error from before.  I really at this point just want to get my coins out to a more reliable wallet.
netmsgeg

Activity: 3

View Profile
August 25, 2013, 10:24:29 AM

Did u find any Solution ??

I got the same error today

What version of BItcoin client you are using  ? I am using a old one 4.x

Should I update the bitcoin client software if yes it is right time to do or we should fix problem first
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
August 25, 2013, 02:50:13 PM

- snip -
I really at this point just want to get my coins out to a more reliable wallet.

Have you decided what wallet you plan to use?  If so, there may be a faster/easier way to get the bitcoins out rather than waiting for the blockchain to load.
jtrad (OP)

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 10:35:08 AM

I was away for a couple of weeks.

I came back and deleted the blockchain and attempted a full re-download.  I am getting the same error:

Exception: 11Db Exception
Db::put: Not enough space
C:\ //PATH NAME bitcoin-qt.exe in ProcessMessages()

The error log looks the same.

I still have bitcoins that are not showing up in the wallet.  I am a bit stumped, was anyone else able to get an progress on this?

Today I will pick another wallet and proceed from there using that but I would really like to get the Bitcoins out of QT that are stuck in there. 

Sorry to take so long to respond but hopefully we can resurrect this thread.
marcovaldo

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 10:35:57 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=287351.0 ?

BITEX
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                              ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███

The First Locally-Embedded, Yet Global, Crypto-Bank
TELEGRAM    FACEBOOK   TWITTER    YOUTUBE    LINE

███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
               ███     ███     ███
                 ███     ███     ███

WHITEPAPER | ANN
JOIN WHITELIST NOW!
demonmaestro

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Mining for the hell of it.

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 10:42:06 AM

just out of wondering i see not enough disk space.
Is your hard drive full?

Feel Like Donating? bc1q0v5nfdejapffewu67gft7zw7zsmnfmmkt3lf02
Buy/Sell BitCoin & LiteCoin  Click here! | Looking for a great exchange? CoinBase Has you covered.
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 01:41:02 PM

Perhaps the wallet.dat or other files are corrupted.. you should try to reinstall?
Deafboy

Activity: 482
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2013, 01:58:15 PM

Is your harddrive ok? I've never had any problem with leveldb on any machine yet. I'm running 3 full nodes.
B(asic)Miner

Activity: 28

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 03:16:57 PM

Why don't you try to doing a diskcheck and attempt a repair on the drive?  Since you were downloading a huge blockchain, its possible the drive got corrupted while downloading it, and if you do a chkdsk or start a repair (on reboot) and let it repair the drive, then maybe once you boot it up, everything will work fine again.  I've had programs crash that formerly worked fine simply because the drive developed an error, and by repairing it, the software worked fine again.

Hope it helps!
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1078

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 03:21:27 PM

Yes, I had a lot of trouble with the satoshi client.  I switched to Multibit and my life has been a lot easier ever since. I hope you can get your private keys exported.
jtrad (OP)

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 05:38:24 PM

Marcovaldo has it:

there is something wrong with the client overall.

There is an upgrade to v8.4 (i think) that solves this issue.  I upgraded and downloaded the blockchain (again!) fortunately the new version is much faster than the old one.

If you are having the same issue I was try the upgrade and see if that fixes it.  It did for me.

For those who asked, the first thing I did was check for disk space/corruption etc.  It was all fine.

Thanks for everyone who replied.
marcovaldo

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 05:47:30 PM

It is written in the top of the forum:

News: ♦♦ Bitcoin-Qt users must upgrade to avoid a crashing bug. Download. More info.

BITEX
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                              ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███

The First Locally-Embedded, Yet Global, Crypto-Bank
TELEGRAM    FACEBOOK   TWITTER    YOUTUBE    LINE

███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
               ███     ███     ███
                 ███     ███     ███

WHITEPAPER | ANN
JOIN WHITELIST NOW!
sevpovm

Activity: 13

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 06:58:50 AM

yep, new windows qt client here; http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/bitcoin-0.8.4/
B(asic)Miner

Activity: 28

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 07:31:36 AM

I have a question regarding Bitcoin no one has explained to me yet.

When I first opened my Bitcoin-QT client and waited the 2 days it took for me to download the blockchain and begin using it, I was given an automatic Bitcoin Address without having to sign up in any way, or do anything to generate that address.  Therefore, it appears to be random, but it's tied to the computer I loaded it on.  Say I loaded 400 coins on there now.  And then one week from now, someone came and stole my computer.  My Bitcoin is password protected, so let's say that they could never crack my password, so the money was still there.  

Now I go and get a new computer and load my Bitcoin client again.  There is nowhere in that software that says where I can input my own address and prove that it's mine.  It appears that the address is unique to that computer.  So even though they can't break my password and get my money, apparently, since I no longer have the computer, neither can I.

What is the way in which we can have a Bitcoin Address that we choose ourself and prove is our via a password protection that will let us access our money even if our computer gets stolen?  I mean, didn't the authors of Bitcoin ever assume anyone's computer would not get stolen, lost in a fire, go overboard with the boat, or any of the above?

Thanks for helping me clarify this issue.

PS:  Here is a another example:  someone in your family (who is untrustworthy, it happens!) finds out you have 1000 Bitcoins on your computer.  They get a friend to break into your house and steal the computer.  Then they contact you with a bribe:  give them so much money and they will return your computer to you.  The money would be equivalent to half of the Bitcoins you have, you'd be forced to pay that to get your computer back so you could cash out your Bitcoins.  It'd be just like kidnapping, only computernapping.  Because once you load Bitcoin on your computer, it becomes a valued object that no longer can just sit in your living room taking up space, it now becomes a future hostage situation.  That means we can never tell anyone we have Bitcoin or that we even use Bitcoin.  
demonmaestro

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Mining for the hell of it.

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 07:42:25 AM

you need to backup your wallet file and get it on another computer asap and transfer your coins to another address.  the address are random and are not tied to really anything. you can create/delete address.

Feel Like Donating? bc1q0v5nfdejapffewu67gft7zw7zsmnfmmkt3lf02
Buy/Sell BitCoin & LiteCoin  Click here! | Looking for a great exchange? CoinBase Has you covered.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 02:40:25 AM

I have a question regarding Bitcoin no one has explained to me yet.

When I first opened my Bitcoin-QT client and waited the 2 days it took for me to download the blockchain and begin using it, I was given an automatic Bitcoin Address without having to sign up in any way, or do anything to generate that address.  Therefore, it appears to be random, but it's tied to the computer I loaded it on.  Say I loaded 400 coins on there now.  And then one week from now, someone came and stole my computer.  My Bitcoin is password protected, so let's say that they could never crack my password, so the money was still there.  

Now I go and get a new computer and load my Bitcoin client again.  There is nowhere in that software that says where I can input my own address and prove that it's mine.  It appears that the address is unique to that computer.  So even though they can't break my password and get my money, apparently, since I no longer have the computer, neither can I.

What is the way in which we can have a Bitcoin Address that we choose ourself and prove is our via a password protection that will let us access our money even if our computer gets stolen?  I mean, didn't the authors of Bitcoin ever assume anyone's computer would not get stolen, lost in a fire, go overboard with the boat, or any of the above?

Thanks for helping me clarify this issue.

PS:  Here is a another example:  someone in your family (who is untrustworthy, it happens!) finds out you have 1000 Bitcoins on your computer.  They get a friend to break into your house and steal the computer.  Then they contact you with a bribe:  give them so much money and they will return your computer to you.  The money would be equivalent to half of the Bitcoins you have, you'd be forced to pay that to get your computer back so you could cash out your Bitcoins.  It'd be just like kidnapping, only computernapping.  Because once you load Bitcoin on your computer, it becomes a valued object that no longer can just sit in your living room taking up space, it now becomes a future hostage situation.  That means we can never tell anyone we have Bitcoin or that we even use Bitcoin.  

You've got a lot of learning to do (and bitcoin has a long way to go to make this intuitive and easy for the average consumer).

Your bitcoin address is public information and is given out by you so others can send bitcoin to you.  As you've already noticed, knowing the bitcoin address does not give you access to spend the bitcoins.

Note however that the bitcoins are NOT stored on your computer (or rather, they aren't stored exclusively on your computer).  The complete historical record of which bitcoins are and have been associated with which bitcoin addresses (known as the "blockchain") is stored on EVERY full node on the bitcoin network.

What is stored on your computer with your wallet program (I assume you used Bitcoin-Qt?), is the private keys that allow you to reassign that bitcoin value from your bitcoin address to someone else's bitcoin address (which is what you do when you "spend" it).  Those private keys act sort of like passwords.  Each bitcoin address has it's own private key that is mathematically linked to it in such a way that if you know the private key, you can calculate the bitcoin address, but if you know the bitcoin address there is no known way to calculate the private key.  Additionally, a "signature" can be calculated using the private key that can be verified by anyone/everyone that knows the bitcoin address.  This signature is what your wallet provides when you "spend" the bitcoins.

In the case of Bitcoin-Qt, the wallet program keeps the private keys hidden in a file called "wallet.dat".  If you have a backup of this file, you can restore your ability to spend the bitcoins by loading the backup on a new computer.  The Bitcoin-Qt wallet provides you an easy way to create a backup of the wallet.dat file using the "Backup Wallet" option under the "File" menu.  As long as you have the private keys (which you have if you have a good recent backup of the wallet.dat file), then you can tell the computernapper to go jump in a lake.  You can still spend your bitcoins, and as long as you've encrypted the wallet with a secure enough password (which actually encrypts the private keys in the wallet.dat file), they won't be able to.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: