Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 08:21:32 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 »
  Print  
Author Topic: GPU mining will die in 2018!  (Read 16832 times)
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2018, 07:10:16 AM

Even NVDia left a note to distributors, "don't sell Graphic Cards to miners but to gamers".

Why don't they simply make more, LOL
it is not that 1070 and 1080 need any special memory like Vegas do.

Perhaps they're producing at their max. If that's the case, they may not want to make the investment to increase production, knowing that they'd indirectly be gambling on the fate of GPU-mineable cryptocurrencies, in that the inflated demand and market price of their product is tied to the ability to produce revenue for the user.

Keep in mind that in the days before cryptocurrencies, gaming GPUs were used for just that; gaming. Other applications, such as Folding@Home and whatnot, were negligible in comparison. Generally gamers would only need one card, perhaps two (although crossfire/SLI back then were even less efficient than now) per system, and the greatest typical upgrade rate was once every generation of GPUs, if that. This is in stark contrast with the demands of today, where a nonnegligible number of GPU miners each desire many graphics cards (even for home miners, this is far beyond the aforementioned 1-2 per user).

Or perhaps they purposefully limit production knowing that many of the cards they release will eventually flood the used graphics card market in the future, and the more powerful units of current generations will likely remain competitive with the lower-mid tier units of later generations.

Or perhaps they're reserving many units for their own mining farms. It's all speculation. :p

Even NVDia left a note to distributors, "don't sell Graphic Cards to miners but to gamers".

Also, why in hell they don't promote more the mining versions, with no video. There has to be a way to add some mining optimizations to those cards and sell to miners, that will leave gamers alone.

If prices and warranty policies were more competitive with normal gaming cards, I could see more people considering them. Until then, they probably won't help the situation.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 07:11:17 AM

Also, why in hell they don't promote more the mining versions, with no video. There has to be a way to add some mining optimizations to those cards and sell to miners, that will leave gamers alone.

Well they did essentially divert all their Samsung memory allocation on the 1060s to mining cards and those mining cards are roughly 33% fast on Ethash and 10-15% on Equihash because of it. Still doesn't warranty buying a card with no display outputs though.
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 12:25:06 PM
Last edit: January 22, 2018, 05:42:05 PM by gotminer

No one really needs or values your warning or opinions, because you don't know how to properly convey them.  Hopefully people aren't out there paying insane prices for gpu's without really knowing that they're doing it, but of course it's happening to an extent.  However, we can do our own research and form our own opinions without the help of a fear mongering, halfwit like yourself.

So I went back and looked at Metroid's post because and he has a history of spreading FUD. Not sure how this thread is 5 pages long already but ppl need to know this guy is a nut job. Below are some classic example of this guys retarded trolling. Hope others can see it for what it is. Enjoy the read I picked some of the best posts for your viewing pleasure:

Sept. 20, 2017:
Only stupid people would exchange eth for gpus to mine eth right now, eth forks are coming and there are too many good news about the fork, I'm seeing at least 300% rise in few weeks, eth might even reach 0.5 btc and that is being conservative.

You need to understand that when eth rises it rises many times in few hours. ETH might reach 0.5 btc tomorrow.

And if you spend on a mining rig then will take at least 1 year and 6 months for you to get the same eth amount you have right now.

Nov 4, 2017: Recommending eth only whereas in reality btc hit ATH in Dec. as did many other coins
buy $30000 btc $20000 ETH and enjoy your sleep.

mining only really makes money when speculation makes a lot more.

I would do what this guy is saying, and buy only eth cause it is very undervalued right now.

After byzantine fork: saying miners lost 15% we actually didnt. It was the same and I have numbers to prove it. Again spreading FUD without actual testing.
The reward dropped from 5 to 3 and the difficulty dropped from 3 to 2.1, so you miners lost 40% on the reward and gained 25% on the difficulty, block times from 30 to 15 seconds is related to the difficulty. Many trolls said with this update, you would be earning more money, which is not true as it stands. So meaning, you stupid miners are earning 15% less money with this update, correct me if I'm wrong or missed something.

Oct 2017:Replying to say if Eth mining is profitable. Anyone can see that it still is profitable to this very day.
no.

Oct 9, 2017: Saying that ltc will soon be like ghost. Till this day L3+ and S9 are the most profitable Asics out there.
That is the problem when you dont have control over the market, at least on the btc scene is good, on xghost no and on ltc soon will be the same as xghost.

Oct 2017: Apparently a 4k mining investment will take 2 years (if experienced) while otherwise will take 3 years or so  Roll Eyes
If you invest right now, you will get those $4k back in 2 years or so if you are an experienced miner, if not then expect 3 years or so.

A few months later Zec hit ATH but this guy was saying 0.5btc any day. Yeah metroid no thank you.
My opinion is change all your zcash or any other coin you have to eth very fast cause eth is about to break and hit 0.5 btc in few days. It might go higher than that. Thank me later and don't forget to thank me.

Sept 2017: Mining since has become so profitable that the cards have become scarce but had we listened to this troll we would have lost out of on so much.  Roll Eyes
You trolls have to be very careful saying profitability will be higher than now cause noobs see that as reassurance of their stupidity that might come to fruition hehe

Hope you all can see this persons fixation with mining and discouraging everyone from it. Metroid if you cant mine for whatever reason stop pissing in everyone else cereal ffs.

Yeah I did the same thing when I first started seeing his crazy chatter.  When people start talking total non-sense over and over with a broad outlook, you look deeper for the real answer.  Thank you for putting them all in one place for everyone to see.  He's a moron to say the least.  He's probably more like mentally retarded without the offical diagnosis.  All of that said, he could have an agenda, which doesn't make him an idiot.  But the fact that he thinks he can move markets alone, puts him back into the mental retardation space.  

I honestly think he has lost a lot of money and spreads his anti-cheer based on the fact that his therapist isn't giving him good enough medication.  He probably needs to be in a padded room with a straight jacket on.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4368
Merit: 3659

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 02:26:44 PM

I need a new water heater, I'm considering installing one of those heat pump units in my mining room also.

just be aware heat pump hot water heaters will need to drain condensate somewhere.
Icoservices2018

Activity: 176
Merit: 5

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 02:33:41 PM

Hello, i think that mining hardware cant die easily because there are a lot of interested people behind, i really believe that the cryptomining will be quite different in 2018....lets see then
notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 02:37:25 PM

PC gaming will die in 2018!
Deathman20

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 02:46:38 PM

Doubt it will be the case but it will seriously hurt it, and VR options, if gamers can't get their hands easily on the high end cards.
thescimitarr

Activity: 117
Merit: 6

FREE VPS. Check Signature for link

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 03:03:20 PM

I see day by day, ASICS of many coins are launching, individually or multiple. Chinese companies are trying to kill the GPU mining market once again cause they are greedy, just like they did to Bitcoin and Litecoin. GPU Mining died in 2013 and was resurrected in 2015 with the Cryptocoins Generation 2.0, although many of you miners just started mining on 2016 due to huge pumps on those 2.0 cryptocoins.

As Cryptocoins got more popular than in 2011 - 2013. The new generation of Cryptocoins 2015 and afterwards are endangered by ASICS once again, and 2018 looks to be the year of per the title "GPU mining will die in 2018!".

Keep in mind that there are possible ASICS for ethash already for Q1, and even if ETH goes POS, ETC and other ethash coins will be only ASICS and if that happens only Equihash coins will be minable for a time and I have a word that there is already an ASIC in development for Equihash already and will start delivering in Q4 2018. As GPU mining keep gets scarce, other popular coins will have pumps and so ASICS will be born for them.

I want to know your thoughts about it and I wonder the limits of --> "where, there is money to be made, there is greedy"

Keep in mind that this price crashing we are seeing is due also to the fear of ASICS for most GPU mining coins.

Though I'm not that into the algorithms used by some cryptos, I've heard that some coins can only mined by a CPU or GPU and they cannot be mined by ASIC

FREE 100$ USD Credits for Cloud Mining. [https://m.do.co/c/8b29898f1cb6]Register here![/url] FREE Virtual Private Server
upisdown

Activity: 322
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 03:07:56 PM

I think gpu mining will not die in the near future. not only there will  be new mineable coins in the future, but there are also many up-and-coming projects that will offer new ways of earning compensation for gpu computation. so I think we will not find it as dead in 2018.

2stout

Activity: 2394
Merit: 595

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 05:37:29 PM

It seems to be quite the opposite as demand for GPU cards keeps increasing- hence the higher prices.  If anything, GPU mining will continue to gain steam in 2018 along with new ASIC resistant algos.
repla64

Activity: 194
Merit: 12

Trust me. I'm a holder.

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 06:18:52 PM

vertcoin is still alive. Smiley

Brickblock.ioTHE FUTURE OF ASSET TRADING ON THE BLOCKCHAINBrickblock.io
REAL ESTATE EXCHANGE TRADED FUNDS COIN FUNDS
TelegramFacebook ❰ Contribution Campaign starts May 9 ❱ TwitterBlog
The Demon Slick

Activity: 182

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 07:46:17 PM

Imagine playing Battlefield with 8 1080s? Oh yeah, max settings.

OT, you know, these coins I'm holding are often ridiculed, called worthless and shitcoins, if they spiked in value, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Just saying.
Efemen

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 08:56:23 PM

I don't think so. There will always be coins with a dedication to GPU and CPU mining. Vertcoin for example, Ethereum classic and the likes. There are even more ICOs that envision developing PC and even mobile mining to integrate the aspect of decentralized mining in their networks.

That is right. More and more coin will be asic resistant and could be mined with GPU.
Metroid (OP)

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 10:00:09 PM

There were plenty of coins which was ASIC resistant and then failed to keep that way. The same way you trolls think there will be no ASIC for a specific coin means the same way you trolls don't believe in progress which in turn direct to greedy. Nothing is forever trolls, keep dreaming and if you wake up from your dream world then do not be scared of it cause reality is painful for you trolls and trust me it will hurt your trollface like it never did before hehe. Trolls from 2014 that got pretty hard hit know what I'm saying hehe.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 11:28:23 PM

Oh Look ... Someone let him out of the padded room again.  How many hours a day do they let you out?

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
Moondoggie

Activity: 392
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 11:31:13 PM

I think its highly unlikely that it will happen this year.
Too much to develop, maybe one day.
dlezama

Activity: 140
Merit: 17

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 11:37:08 PM

It may never happen. Developing software is cheaper and faster than hardware. GPUs are a very powerful processing platform, especially for anything requiring computations on fast memory. I don't see ASICs paired with big fast memory being economical to develop, but even if they were, it would take time.

By the time ASICs start eating the processing power from GPUs an opportunity opens, cheap existing computing power. At that point new coin algorithms will be created for those GPUs, and the cycle repeats. This happened before, it's happening now, can keep happening.
betiteh0777

Activity: 133

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 02:07:30 AM

It may never happen. Developing software is cheaper and faster than hardware. GPUs are a very powerful processing platform, especially for anything requiring computations on fast memory. I don't see ASICs paired with big fast memory being economical to develop, but even if they were, it would take time.

By the time ASICs start eating the processing power from GPUs an opportunity opens, cheap existing computing power. At that point new coin algorithms will be created for those GPUs, and the cycle repeats. This happened before, it's happening now, can keep happening.

exactly...
Sledge0001

Activity: 600
Merit: 152

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2018, 04:41:35 AM

With China starting the crackdown on mining (which I am all for  Tongue )  I would assume that GPU mining is here for quite sometime.
mshordja

Activity: 146
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2018, 11:25:17 AM

everything one day will day, but that day is not today  Grin

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 »
  Print  

Jump to: