Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 07:00:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: US government shutdown and bitcoin  (Read 152 times)
ulhaq (OP)

Activity: 503
Merit: 286

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 04:12:33 AM

I expect that if the US government shutdown occurs, then the price of bitcoin will go up. It has been described as a chaos proxy. Opinions?
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ulhaq (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 06:32:41 PM

The price really jumped starting exactly when the government shutdown began. Is this the reason for this rise?
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 06:35:01 PM

please explain why.

it's happened before. it's threatened all the time. as far as i can tell some museum workers don't get paid for a while and then a few weeks later everything gets back to normal again. the true agents of chaos carry on getting their wages. 
ulhaq (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 11:17:16 PM

A government shutdown occurs because they spent too much; in other words they are irresponsible, even more so that there were so last minute that they were working on a deal hours before the deadline. A lack of confidence in central governments has correlated with increases in the price of bitcoin in the past. Irresponsibility regarding financial matters affects the USD, and thus the USD-BTC exchange rate.

The last government shutdown in 2013 was also associated with a jump in the price of bitcoin. Some rationale on it:
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/3ddxg5/why-bitcoin-boomed-during-the-government-shutdown

Another example of the rationale:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2792941.0

The tangible effect, as you point out, is small, but still 2 million workers who will not be paid or will be expected to work without pay. In 2013 they were all paid retroactively (even the ones that did no work), but we don't know that a future deal with include this this time. But the big effect is a lack of confidence in government.
jseverson

Activity: 1834
Merit: 759

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 06:34:26 AM

A government shutdown occurs because they spent too much; in other words they are irresponsible, even more so that there were so last minute that they were working on a deal hours before the deadline. A lack of confidence in central governments has correlated with increases in the price of bitcoin in the past. Irresponsibility regarding financial matters affects the USD, and thus the USD-BTC exchange rate.

The last government shutdown in 2013 was also associated with a jump in the price of bitcoin. Some rationale on it:
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/3ddxg5/why-bitcoin-boomed-during-the-government-shutdown

The tangible effect, as you point out, is small, but still 2 million workers who will not be paid or will be expected to work without pay. In 2013 they were all paid retroactively (even the ones that did no work), but we don't know that a future deal with include this this time. But the big effect is a lack of confidence in government.

Wow. I thought it was crazy that people even attribute that for the small rise, but I didn't know there was a precedent. I kind of don't buy it, because the rise was miniscule enough to have been normal market movement, and that Bitcoin was actually trading above $14,000 before the slide began, but I guess we'll see in the coming days. Correlation does not always equal causation after all.

Also, Roger Ver being supportive of Bitcoin in the article made me lol. How times have changed.

Juggy777

Activity: 2646
Merit: 686

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 06:48:15 AM

I expect that if the US government shutdown occurs, then the price of bitcoin will go up. It has been described as a chaos proxy. Opinions?

There is absolute no relation to the fact of us government shutting down and Bitcoin price rising, both are different matters. Its kind of sad that the government has shut down, I hope better sense prevails and they keep it running up. While as far as bitcoin is concerned I'm sure there must be some positive news that's triggering it up. I hope it keeps going up, and the only way it could be related is if trump tweets we'll use bitcoin till this is solved and then it's relatable and prices shall rocket.
Notcalculator

Activity: 196
Merit: 12

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 06:56:59 AM

seems to me that it depends what kind of light is shined on bitcoin? And factoring that, the article was written 5 years ago, It's safe to assume that there were less people using bitcoin back then. Meaning, there was more room to grow. All the events that unfolded, just made it more popular and caused it to boom.  As it is now, the bitcoin network is much more congested and the popularity is sky high. So im speculating that the goverment shudown, isnt going to affect the prices significantly. But we'll probably see a hike since, the value is a bit low right now.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
PLINKO    |7| SLOTS     (+) ROULETTE    ▼ BIT SPINBITVESTPLAY or INVEST ║ ✔ Rainbot  ✔ Happy Hours  ✔ Faucet
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Haunebu

Activity: 3052
Merit: 969

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 07:00:35 AM

There is absolute no relation to the fact of us government shutting down and Bitcoin price rising, both are different matters. Its kind of sad that the government has shut down, I hope better sense prevails and they keep it running up. While as far as bitcoin is concerned I'm sure there must be some positive news that's triggering it up. I hope it keeps going up, and the only way it could be related is if trump tweets we'll use bitcoin till this is solved and then it's relatable and prices shall rocket.
Yeah. I agree with what you are saying. It has obviously been a long time since the US Government got shut down like this(Think the last time something like this happened was way back in 2013) and I don't think this affected the bitcoin value in a major way or anything. The uptrend is simply the market recovering after the bloodbath recently. I feel like a huge bitcoin rally is incoming very soon just like last year and I don't think there will be another bloodbath for a long time.

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
RichMonk

Activity: 44
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 07:11:16 AM

In Russia become very popular theory that bitcoin are developed  by US government. So, bitcoin do not jeopardize US government
hao2067755834

Activity: 98
Merit: 1

Unibright Token Launch - 10th April 2018

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 07:14:26 AM

The shutdown of the U.S. government doesn't seem to have anything to do with the rise in bitcoin.
The rise or fall of bitcoin is a big factor. The policy intervention of bitcoin will cause people to panic and affect the transaction of bitcoin, which is determined by the supply and demand of the market!

▃▃▃▃▃  U N I B R I G H T  ▃▃▃▃▃
⟪ Blockchain-Based Business Integration ⟫
visit: https://unibright.io/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: