Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 12:54:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: IOTA - Thousands of Wallets Compromised and Funds Stolen  (Read 2618 times)
Acguy

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 07:24:32 AM

I never was a fan of Iota but this is really sad news but hopefully not everyone used a online seed generator.

▄██▄
         ▄██████▄
       ▄███▀  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀ ▄██▄ ▀███▄
   ▄███▀ ▄██▀▀██▄ ▀███▄
 ▄███▀ ▄██▀    ▀▀▀  ▀███▄
██████████████████████
 ▀███▄  ▄▄▄    ▄██▀ ▄███▀
   ▀███▄ ▀██▄▄██▀ ▄███▀
     ▀███▄ ▀██▀ ▄███▀
       ▀███▄  ▄███▀
         ▀██████▀
           ▀██▀
███
███
  █
███
    █
█ 
█ 
█ 

███
  █
███
███
███
███
  █
███
    █
█ 
█ 
█ 

███
  █
███
███
           ▄██▄
         ▄██████▄
       ▄███▀  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀ ▄██▄ ▀███▄
   ▄███▀ ▄██▀▀██▄ ▀███▄
 ▄███▀ ▄██▀    ▀▀▀  ▀███▄
██████████████████████████
 ▀███▄  ▄▄▄    ▄██▀ ▄███▀
   ▀███▄ ▀██▄▄██▀ ▄███▀
     ▀███▄ ▀██▀ ▄███▀
       ▀███▄  ▄███▀
         ▀██████▀
           ▀██▀
ANN Thread     WhitePaper
Facebook     Telegram     Twitter
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███
███
  █
███
    █
█ 
█ 
█ 

███
  █
███
███
andor.gellenhidi

Activity: 602
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 07:52:15 AM

Quite sad news, that these addresses have been compromised, and what do project officials say? Have they already taken anything? Tokens in fact can not disappear without bound, if it is so that it turns out that the blockage can not help us
nastaverba

Activity: 112
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 07:55:59 AM

Don't know what's a lie and what's the truth, but "iotaseed dot io" site doesn't work now. Really sorry for IOTA, I like this cryptocurrency and was planning to invest in it. Let's hope for a happy ending Tongue
MadMac (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 103

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 08:00:09 AM

There wont be any happy ending. More funds are being stolen every day. People still don't really know what is going on.

And that IOTA representative blames their users for presenting the seed on a silver platter to the thief. Ridiculous.

https://medium.com/@ralf/what-happened-last-night-on-iota-b6157ade1e03
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 08:19:22 AM

There wont be any happy ending. More funds are being stolen every day. People still don't really know what is going on.

And that IOTA representative blames their users for presenting the seed on a silver platter to the thief. Ridiculous.

https://medium.com/@ralf/what-happened-last-night-on-iota-b6157ade1e03

Who is this Iota representative you are referring to? Oh, they don’t actually exist.

You are going to continue with this nonsense. It’s obvious you don’t own Iota. You aren’t on discord trying to help anyone. You are taking advantage of the misfortune of others to FUD iota.

Why don’t you just move on?
MadMac (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 08:39:06 AM

You need to read the thread, troll, obviously you did not understand what this is all about. I got 5 Gi stolen, so you are right, I don't own IOTA.

But ok, if this is not even an IOTA representative, then this is even worse. Meaning the developers ignore the situation and do nothing at all, nothing to warn people, nothing to help people and nothing to fix the issues. Typical German way of solving problems, sit them out and do as if nothing would have happened. Terrible.
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 09:31:23 AM

You need to read the thread, troll, obviously you did not understand what this is all about. I got 5 Gi stolen, so you are right, I don't own IOTA.

But ok, if this is not even an IOTA representative, then this is even worse. Meaning the developers ignore the situation and do nothing at all, nothing to warn people, nothing to help people and nothing to fix the issues. Typical German way of solving problems, sit them out and do as if nothing would have happened. Terrible.

Oh so you did something STUPID like trust an online seed generator without changing at least ONE digit out of 81! and now its someone else's fault?

I am sorry you lost money, but welcome to the world of crypto. You were unprepared and that is your fault and your fault only. Do not blame Iota devs or anyone else. Take responsibility for your own mistakes. Its good that you are warning people against online seed generators, but making false or exaggerated claims because you are angry at your own mistakes doesn't help anyone or do any good.
ethbringer

Activity: 172

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 09:38:03 AM

Oh so you did something STUPID like trust an online seed generator without changing at least ONE digit out of 81! and now its someone else's fault?

I am sorry you lost money, but welcome to the world of crypto. You were unprepared and that is your fault and your fault only. Do not blame Iota devs or anyone else. Take responsibility for your own mistakes. Its good that you are warning people against online seed generators, but making false or exaggerated claims because you are angry at your own mistakes doesn't help anyone or do any good.
since many new comer come into the crypto world, i think the dev team should do more work to build a better ecosystem, though they are nor responsible for this, users who lost money will owe this to the team, team must do something to help the community

MadMac (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 10:04:29 AM

You were unprepared and that is your fault and your fault only.
It's clear you are an IOTA fanboy and can not stand any criticism, people like you get personal as you did a couple of times in this discussion.

Let me repeat it again, it is a major design flaw in IOTAs client as there are absolutely no measures for authorization. It is not the fault of the user, it is a disastrous design. There are 3 A's in information security:

Authentication (that's the seed)
Accounting (that's your balance and history)
Authorization => they did not implement this at all. It should at least be password protected at bare minimum.
Mc_Moneysack

Activity: 154
Merit: 5

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 10:10:21 AM

Interesting, it seems that the price of IOTA was not affected at all by this news. I believe that people can distinguish between scam by third parties and problems IOTA itself is responsible for.

I am really sad for those of you who lost a lot of money.

SHIVOM  ──  The Future is your Genome! Own it.
Join our Token Campaign!  ──  https://shivom.io/
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 10:39:47 AM

If you bought IOTA, check your wallet. Chances are high that it is empty now.

Don't believe me? Open it and find out yourself that all your funds have been stolen.

How so? People were told to use online seed generators. Yes, a seed, online. Not from the wallet itself, no password, not protection at all. And one clever chap collected all the generated seeds and just cashed in.

What can you do? If it is still "Pending" then check out this posting from the official IOTA forum. If it says confirmed as it does for me, funds are gone.

https://forum.helloiota.com/9100/To-everyone-posting-with-stolen-balances

IOTA tries to blame people now for using the online seed generators. I think the party to blame is IOTA itself, for not putting a seed generator in their light wallet, and for not password protecting it.

This actually calls for class action as thousands of accounts were compromised!

(my x-post from Steemit)

ahahha idiot burned on scam ICO coins cries NO LAWS !!!!

Then finds his wallet empty and is on the phone with his lawyer.

Same as always.. you greedy morons chant no laws / regulations then cry for the fucking cops when you get burned.

Eat a thousand bags of dicks idiots.
I warned you about this garbage coin bullshit called IOTA.

As McDonalds says.. "I'm lovin' it"  Cheesy

After..

PS:
Steemit is scammy shit too idiot.

FUD first & ask questions later™
3x2-2

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 10:41:06 AM

Basic rule is to never use online seed generators, feel sorry for the victims. Basic wallet like BTC is the best way to go, IOTA foundation should do something about it.
MadMac (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 10:45:36 AM

After..
Sure, -8 scammer. I love Morans like you that can not even read, but must make some noise. ICO? LOL, who is the idiot?
AndriyPilipyak

Activity: 336

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 10:46:10 AM

I have sent iota 18 on January from binance to iota wallet but its still 10 confirmed(should be 25).How can iota owner generate seed and where is not scam site?

Vojkankan

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 10:50:40 AM

Dear colleagues,

100.27 IOTA are stolen from my wallet.
TRANSACTION HASH
WOAJNORJBF9KPSOM9LCBLHELACRBDSGQDFHNMMQPPNHFNLROPZJBKFXORAIPYKKWADTQSMEGZC9I999 99

coins went to wallet:
IOTA ADDRESS
CTORMCUAAMTBPK9XPSQEHJPARDRA9XTPUWC9EEARSWMZNTYAWXGLEVXVKQDXKBHARUFZEKBGSVKFJYH MZ

of course I generated the seed via online generator...

So disappointing in IOTA.

MadMac (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 10:52:54 AM

Please report the lost balances and addresses they were sent to here:

https://forum.helloiota.com/9284/Call-to-action-lets-catch-the-thief
LeroyBro

Activity: 168
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 10:54:44 AM

Well, this is unfortunate to hear.

Does anyone know what's next for IOTA?

============== Interested in ICOs ==============
TooDumbForBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 11:03:27 AM

Really sad for the affected holders, but what is purpose to use generators on third party websites?

▄▄                                  ▄▄
 ███▄                            ▄███
  ██████                      ██████
   ███████                  ███████
    ███████                ███████
     ███████              ███████
      ███████            ███████
       ███████▄▄      ▄▄███████
        ██████████████████████
         ████████████████████
          ██████████████████
           ████████████████
            ██████████████
             ███████████
              █████████
               ███████
                █████
                 ██
                  █
veil|     PRIVACY    
     WITHOUT COMPROMISE.      
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
|   NO ICO. NO PREMINE. 
   X16RT GPU Mining. Fair distribution.  
|      The first Zerocoin-based Cryptocurrency      
   WITH ALWAYS-ON PRIVACY.  
|

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄███████
   ████████
   ███▀
   ███
██████████
██████████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███

▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
   ▐██▄▄██████████████▄▄██▌
   ████████████████████████
  ▐████████████████████████▌
  ███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
 ▐██████     ████     ██████▌
 ███████     ████     ███████
▐████████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████████▌
▐████████████████████████████▌
 █████▄▄▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▄▄█████
  ▀▀██████          ██████▀▀
      ▀▀▀            ▀▀▀
MadMac (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 11:28:10 AM

Really sad for the affected holders, but what is purpose to use generators on third party websites?
2 key issues, as mentioned already.

1) The IOTA client does not have the functionality to create a secure and hidden seed / private key by itself. So one has to use 3rd party solutions.
2) The IOTA client has no authorization functionality built in, one needs to login using their seed / private key openly without any option to password protect it (or any other way)
flag39

Activity: 364
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 12:14:33 PM

2 key issues, as mentioned already.

1) The IOTA client does not have the functionality to create a secure and hidden seed / private key by itself. So one has to use 3rd party solutions.
2) The IOTA client has no authorization functionality built in, one needs to login using their seed / private key openly without any option to password protect it (or any other way)

IOTA SEED is your private key to the your very private part of the tangle. The wallet is the car to drive you there.
At the moment it is not a very fancy car but you have to be on one in order to be ready for a better one in the near future.

TO CREATE A IOTA SEED
SWITCH ON A PC THAT DOES NOT HAVE KEY LOGGER
OPEN NOTEPAD AND
LOCK CAPS (only capital letters)
MAKE A STRING OF RANDOM LETTERS AND INCLUDE FIVE OR SIX TIMES NUMBER "9"  IN TOTAL 81 CHARACTERS
EXAPLE:   (KEUDTPWKYD9YGESXJPIKJDGVCD9DCEVWERFKLEW9KIOPLD.....................QAUTI9POK...) COULD WELL 81 IN TOTAL

PRINT IT ON PAPER AND STORE IT ELECTRONICALLY IN A USB OR EVEN IN YOUR COMPUTER
LOGIN TO LIGHT WALLET WITH THIS SEED
CLICK RECEIVE ADDRESS AND ATTACH THAT TO TANGLE

EVERY TIME YOU RECEIVE FUND YOU HAVE TO CLICK RECEIVE AND GENERATE NEW RECEIVING ADDRESS. DO NOT SEND IOTA TO AN ADDRESS YOU ALREADY SENT ONCE AND YOU ARE COMPLETELY SAFE.

REMEMBER THE SEED IS THE KEY TO YOUR TANGLE SECRET ROOM.
THE ADDRESS IS JUST ONE OF THE DRAWERS IN THAT ROOM

NEW WALLET WILL COME SOON AND YOU WILL HAVE A BETTER DRIVE EXPERIENCE TO YOUR TANGLE STORE.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: