Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 05:44:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ducting  (Read 1182 times)
BlockTangle

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 08:14:19 PM

Dear smart people, I'm reworking my rig with a series of ducting, fans, etc. I'm amazed by the differences that subtle changes can make.

I have 5 asic miners in an insulated plywood box about 44" x 44". I'm thinking of running 6" ducts from each of these to lead outside of the box and combining a few of them (all of them?) into an 8" duct with an inline vortex fan. The fan can displace over 750 cfm. I'll then lead the one 8" duct about 30ft out a window or basement wall (will need to drill a hole or modify window...nbd either way). Also, can i step down the 8" to a 6" duct further down the line...maybe 10 feet down the line from the inline fan?

One a side note, I plan on reversing the flow of air from out to in during the winter months and pipe the hot exhaust directly into my hvac ducting to warm my house. I'm already siphoning some of the cold ac air from a nearby duct directly into the asic units...works like a champ!

Any thoughts on these ideas? I know that the math doesn't quite work out, but I can make some quick mods and exhaust 1-3 of the miners directly into my unfinished basement area without much of an issue. As most of you already know, I, fortunately, learned the hard way that offsetting the exhaust by 1 or 2 units eases the load on the others...less hot exhaust to displace=cooler air=cooler boards=less work for fans=less noise=less energy used=saved $.

Sadly, I've almost forgotten about making $, because I'm fascinated by the science of making the system more efficient! Such a fun project.

Thank you for your honest feedback!

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 2581

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 08:20:26 PM

Also, can i step down the 8" to a 6" duct further down the line...maybe 10 feet down the line from the inline fan?
Don't do it. These things need to be able to breathe and any kind of resitriction is to be avoided whenever possible even when using booster fans. Also beware of using any kind of flexible duct tubing - they have horrible resistance to air flow. Standard rule-of-thumb is that 1ft of flex tube has the same flow resistance as 10ft of solid ducting. Be sure to account for that.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
Raymond_B (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 71

Just Getting Started...

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2018, 11:01:22 PM
Last edit: June 21, 2018, 12:27:20 AM by frodocooper

Dear smart people, I'm reworking my rig with a series of ducting, fans, etc. I'm amazed by the differences that subtle changes can make.

I have 5 asic miners in an insulated plywood box about 44" x 44". I'm thinking of running 6" ducts from each of these to lead outside of the box and combining a few of them (all of them?) into an 8" duct with an inline vortex fan. The fan can displace over 750 cfm. I'll then lead the one 8" duct about 30ft out a window or basement wall (will need to drill a hole or modify window...nbd either way). Also, can i step down the 8" to a 6" duct further down the line...maybe 10 feet down the line from the inline fan?

One a side note, I plan on reversing the flow of air from out to in during the winter months and pipe the hot exhaust directly into my hvac ducting to warm my house. I'm already siphoning some of the cold ac air from a nearby duct directly into the asic units...works like a champ!

Any thoughts on these ideas? I know that the math doesn't quite work out, but I can make some quick mods and exhaust 1-3 of the miners directly into my unfinished basement area without much of an issue. As most of you already know, I, fortunately, learned the hard way that offsetting the exhaust by 1 or 2 units eases the load on the others...less hot exhaust to displace=cooler air=cooler boards=less work for fans=less noise=less energy used=saved $.

Sadly, I've almost forgotten about making $, because I'm fascinated by the science of making the system more efficient! Such a fun project.

Thank you for your honest feedback!

You'll have problems, each miner is generating ~ 225CFM. So 5 of those are 1125 CFM plus you'll want some extra. If you merge all that airflow you'll need way bigger ducting than 8", and on top of that you're running it 30'.

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: