Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:37:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do I deserve to die and do I deserve healthcare?  (Read 4406 times)
david4dev (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2011, 10:59:38 PM

What if nobody is willing to help? Then is it ok for me to die? Also, I would never threaten violence or death because both are immoral.
Life sucks, sometimes good people die. We can't save everyone, it's not possible.

Unfortunately, if we save one person who it is expensive to save, we have to let die a few people who it is cheaper to save.

That is not true. We can save the one and the few, it would just cost more. In my opinion, this is a price worth paying.
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
david4dev (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2011, 11:06:12 PM

Taxes are generally deducted directly from the salary (PAYE) - people rarely have to 'pay'.

That is like saying "The slaves didn't have to pay a thing. Their housing and food was provided for them" Money you never see is still stolen from you.

It is true that the slaves didn't have to pay anything. However, they were not receiving any payment for their work which is wrong.

You are still getting money for your work. For employees it is equivalent to earning a lower salary. For employers it is equivalent to paying a higher salary.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2011, 11:15:35 PM
Last edit: July 11, 2011, 11:41:34 PM by myrkul

Taxes are generally deducted directly from the salary (PAYE) - people rarely have to 'pay'.

That is like saying "The slaves didn't have to pay a thing. Their housing and food was provided for them" Money you never see is still stolen from you.

It is true that the slaves didn't have to pay anything. However, they were not receiving any payment for their work which is wrong.

You are still getting money for your work. For employees it is equivalent to earning a lower salary. For employers it is equivalent to paying a higher salary.

So, 100% slavery is wrong, but 5% is OK? Where do you draw the line? 50%? 75%?

Also, What of my other question?

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2011, 11:26:18 PM

That is not true. We can save the one and the few, it would just cost more. In my opinion, this is a price worth paying.
We can't save everyone, it's simply not possible. The demand is effectively unlimited.

Worse, for many people, saving them will kill someone else. Every dollar spent on health care is one dollar that couldn't have been spent on something else, and those other things save lives too. Maybe it's the person who feeds their family at McDonald's because it's cheap, maybe it's the person who can't afford a Volvo and gets into an accident, maybe it's the person who drives because they can't afford airfare and gets hit by a drunk driver -- but taxes kill people.

You only see the person you saved, but the people you are killing are there too.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Fakeman

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 01:23:08 AM

It's not really slavery if you're free to leave. Personally I'd rather see my taxes go to healthcare than oversized military and prisons for example.

16wEsax3GGvJmjiXCMQUWeHdgyDG5DXa2W
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 01:27:44 AM

IMO, humanity as a whole should try to find ways to reduce the cost for keeping anyone alive so that eventually all deaths (if any) would be an intentional decision and people would never be sentenced to death due to the costs of keeping them alive, regardless of who they are.

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2011, 02:04:42 AM

It's not really slavery if you're free to leave. Personally I'd rather see my taxes go to healthcare than oversized military and prisons for example.

It's not slavery, if you get to choose who you're enslaved to?

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Anonymous

July 12, 2011, 02:18:05 AM

To the people who are saying "We can't save everyone." don't get it. In a society with no slavery, more people would have the means to help and they shall. People inherently value other human beings and will give with no incentive. Otherwise, I doubt we would be propagating governments that supposedly care anyways.

People naturally give a fuck.
NghtRppr

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2011, 02:22:14 AM

It's not really slavery if you're free to leave.

Some people just don't understand the difference between secession and emigration.
Fakeman

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 02:27:45 AM

And that relates to the quoted statement how?

Anonymous

July 12, 2011, 02:33:13 AM

If you own property, you should be able to leave while still keeping your claims to it.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2011, 02:44:53 AM

Maybe you should do a little research on 'Secession'

Fakeman

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 03:04:18 AM

I'm just baffled at the suggestion that disagreeing on what qualifies as "slavery" means I'm confusing the two concepts with each other. A way out is a way out, it might not be on your terms but that doesn't make you a prisoner.

NghtRppr

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2011, 03:06:20 AM

I'm just baffled at the suggestion that disagreeing on what qualifies as "slavery" means I'm confusing the two concepts with each other. A way out is a way out, it might not be on your terms but that doesn't make you a prisoner.

So if you can leave but you have to drop your wallet on the ground, does that mean you're not being stolen from?
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2011, 03:17:50 AM

If the majority of people supported socialized medicine for the purpose of helping the needy, then socialized medicine shouldn't be necessary. >50% is more than enough people to provide charity without forcing stingy people to contribute. If you factor in the unintended consequences of forcing people to help out when they don't want to, the net returns for those particular funds taken by force or threat of force are actually negative. 

The truth is that the bleeding hearts don't want to help the needy unless everybody contributes their "fair" share with "fair" being determined and defined by the bleeding heart. Being generous with other people's money is not generosity.  Forced charity is not charity. Involuntarily taking someone's money is still theft even if it's done by the State and even if it's for a "good" cause and even if it's called "taxation".

Civilization is the triumph of persuasion over force. Socialized medicine is a step backwards.

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc
myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2011, 03:23:16 AM

The truth is that the bleeding hearts don't want to help the needy unless everybody contributes their "fair" share with "fair" being determined and defined by the bleeding heart. Being generous with other people's money is not generosity.  Forced charity is not charity. Involuntarily taking someone's money is still theft even if it's done by the State and even if it's for a "good" cause and even if it's called "taxation".

Exactly.

NghtRppr

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2011, 03:29:54 AM

Or we could just keep fighting the War on Drugs, the War on Terrorism, and let the A.M.A., Pharma, and Med Insurance Banks write our legislation.

Just to expand on this idea. I wonder who is more likely to be able to effectively lobby for legislation, the poor and needy or moneyed special interest groups? Troll boy is worried about the rich funding private armies but that would at least be a step up from the rich that can just buy control of the public armies.
Alex Beckenham

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 03:36:07 AM

1) I was a hard working citizen but due to no fault of my own I lost my job and am currently looking for work but unable to find any.

Yeah, man works 40 years laying bricks and not once thinks about making a back-up plan.

Then loses job and cries "bricklaying is all I've ever known, how will I pay my rent now?".

Hey stupido, you had 40 years to make a back-up plan.

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 04:00:41 AM

1) I was a hard working citizen but due to no fault of my own I lost my job and am currently looking for work but unable to find any.

Yeah, man works 40 years laying bricks and not once thinks about making a back-up plan.

Then loses job and cries "bricklaying is all I've ever known, how will I pay my rent now?".

Hey stupido, you had 40 years to make a back-up plan.

Haha, I love that.  Totally agree.
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2011, 04:02:03 AM

Troll boy is worried about the rich funding private armies but that would at least be a step up from the rich that can just buy control of the public armies.

Is the outcome of these two scenarios any different?  There are too many religious zealots in my area...  It might turn out like somalia or some other fucked up tribal nation. We need a resurgence of Quakers and Anabaptist in our christian population?  I prefer my original position and veil of ignorance, at least until someone comes up with a model I find preferable.  I must state I haven't read Nozick yet.

The difference is that I am not taxed to pay for the private armies.  People who have to fund their own wars are more reluctant to engage in war in the first place.

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: