Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 08:27:45 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Announce] Project Quixote - BitShares, BitNames and 'BitMessage'  (Read 48264 times)
bytemaster (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 566

fractally

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2013, 12:04:44 AM

This, in theory, is protected as free speech and does not constitute issuing a currency. 

The million dollar question. I see this becoming a decisive issue moving forward. As Satoshi is a mystery and no legislation has been written to capture the essence of decentralized OS projects, the opportunity for the creators of a widely-adopted OS distributed digital asset class to be persecuted is non-zero. This seems to be a risk you are willing to take and I commend that, as doing so fits into your vision for this platform. If I had the skills I would help; unfortunately I do not, so I will be watching closely for the time being Smiley
Invictus

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

https://fractally.com - the next generation of decentralized autonomous organizations (DAOs).
bytemaster (OP)

fractally

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2013, 12:36:06 AM

This, in theory, is protected as free speech and does not constitute issuing a currency. 

I do not see where one has to do with the other.  If something is covered under free speech that only means it cannot be outlawed.  It does not mean it cannot be regulated or that other laws do not apply.  For instance, statements like "sending Bitcoin is free speech so it cannot be taxed" or "transferring Bitcoin is free speech so I can't be regulated as a Money transmitter" do not make sense.  Whether it is free speech or not has nothing to with whether you are or are not issuing a currency.

If I write software and never run it, did I issue any coins?

https://fractally.com - the next generation of decentralized autonomous organizations (DAOs).
jedunnigan

Activity: 279
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 01:02:28 AM

I do not see where one has to do with the other.  If something is covered under free speech that only means it cannot be outlawed.  It does not mean it cannot be regulated or that other laws do not apply.  For instance, statements like "sending Bitcoin is free speech so it cannot be taxed" or "transferring Bitcoin is free speech so I can't be regulated as a Money transmitter" do not make sense.  Whether it is free speech or not has nothing to with whether you are or are not issuing a currency.

If I write software and never run it, did I issue any coins?

So by that logic you are shifting the burden to the miners.

Regardless HELP you are missing the point of the argument, as is clarified by bytemaster's most recent post.

Read his first post more carefully:
4) We will not be engaging in money transmission, but will be partnering with those who are.
5) Our company is not an exchange and does not act as an intermediary between customers.

It boils down to (from the whitepaper):
It could be argued that as long as there are only two parties, no contracts and no party is operating on behalf of anyone else, there is no money transmission. This would be like claiming someone who exchanged gold for cash on craigslist in a noncommercial manner is a money transmitter.

this whole convo might be too OT, up to you bytemaster
bytemaster (OP)

fractally

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2013, 02:51:59 AM

Legal issues will always be a problem when we live under a corrupt system.  We could follow the law and it could be changed or reinterpreted.   The truth is we live in a lawless society where no one knows or can even agree on what the law is, it is selectively enforced, and entirely detached from morality.   This makes the 'law' irrelevant if someone in power considers you a threat. 

The only defense against corrupt enforcement of the law is publicity and providing a good to society that is so in demand that the government is unable to outlaw it. 

The true purpose of our company is as a free market solution to fighting the most common crimes in our society:  identity theft and fraud in the financial industry.  You cannot overcome government by 'fighting the government' because they can always claim the 'moral high ground' of fighting crime and 'protecting people' from 'money laundering' and ponzie schemes.     Well, we are claiming that high-ground first.   If they want to fight us, they are going to have to claim that our efforts to fight identity theft and financial fraud are a bad thing.  That grandma doesn't deserve a safe ROI on her savings, and that people should not have free and easy to use secure communication software. 

So our goal is to provide people the services they expect from their government, but do it without shoving a gun in their face.   So people expect the government to regulate the financial markets to prevent fraud and abuse.  To insure deposits at banks.  To provide counterfeit resistant identities.  To provide postal service.   We will provide those same services and do a better job in an entirely transparent manner.

If governments want to claim the high ground, they will have to start actually doing the job they sell themselves as doing because they will look very foolish attacking us we will achieve what they have failed to do... regulate financial markets and secure identities.     Besides, wall street will be able to make a killing with this system so they will probably not push for it to be outlawed entirely nor for us to be put in jail. 

It is all a public relations game.   

charleshoskinson
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2013, 03:11:06 AM

When events like this happen: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-08-02/news/ct-met-kass-0802-20130803_1_butcher-type-kitchen-knife-park-forest-police-taser

Who knows with the government. Honestly we can just start with our principles and our vision and have the courage to follow it. Our lawyers believe the business plan is solid and we can't see a regulation or law we are breaking by building this software. It doesn't mean we are immune to legal concerns, but it does mean we've done our best to see if the road ahead has issues.

I have no doubt that part of our time and money will have to be invested in educating regulators, law enforcement and lawmakers about BitShares and cryptocurrencies, but frankly any business in the Bitcoin ecosystem has this duty as well. We are at the bleeding edge of technology and social innovation. Nothing is known about the best practices or relationships we will have moving forward. That's what makes being an entrepreneur fun and also it lets us wear our hopes and dreams on our sleeves.

I've had a wonderful time working with Daniel and I've learned so much over the past few months. I can't wait for the next six.

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 06:12:25 AM

Regardless of the legalities involved, the Bitshares idea has severe technical problems. As announced, bitshares is infeasible.

1) Via double-spending, miners will be able to selectively reverse trades that have been signed, but not yet entered the blockchain.
1a) If reversing trades is potentially profitable, the whole decentralized trading system will be borked by manipulation. Why trade if some privileged fucks can selectively reverse deals.
1b) To prevent this, the blockchain must not execute trades instantaneously. Instead, trade execution must be delayed until long after trades enter the blockchain. The execution price should be a unknown future price determined by the 'feed' price. Buyers and sellers should simply agree to exchange a certain quantity of assets, put collateral in the blockchain, and wait to see what the price will turn out to be.

2) A bunch of 'feeds' is a horrible idea. Again, 'feeds' can be profitably manipulated. The more competing feeds you have the cheaper they will be to game. You need a single secure 'feed' that is as strong as the blockchain itself. The price data should be submitted by proof of stake miners. Use a median of prices submitted over a large number of blocks to determine the current asset price. If you do this, meaningful feed manipulation will require control of the blockchain.

If you think about this it is kind of like trading in slow motion. The 'feed price' lags the true market price, but is forward with respect to the market price when buyers and sellers agree to trade.

There are other issues, but I will wait to see whether you address the manipulation problem before saying anything else.

bytemaster (OP)

fractally

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2013, 06:24:38 AM

Regardless of the legalities involved, the Bitshares idea has severe problems.

1) Via double-spending, miners will be able to reverse trades that have been signed, but not yet entered the blockchain.
1a) If reversing trades is potentially profitable, the whole decentralized trading system will be borked by manipulation.
1b) To prevent this, the blockchain must not execute trades instantaneously. Instead, trades long after they enter the blockchain at a unknown price determined by a moving average of the 'feed' price. Buyers and sellers should simply agree to exchange a certain quantity of assets, put collateral in the blockchain, and wait to see what the price will turn out to be.

2) A bunch of 'feeds' is a horrible idea. Again, 'feeds' can be profitably manipulated. The more competing feeds you have the cheaper they will be to game. You need a single secure 'feed' that is as strong as the blockchain itself. The price feed should be submitted by proof of stake miners. Use a median of prices submitted over a large number of blocks to determine the current asset price. If you do this, meaningful feed manipulation will require control of the blockchain.

I'm sure there are other issues, but because you plan to ignore these showstoppers anyways it is a waste of time to point them out. Or surprise me.

First of all, I do not know where you get the idea that I am using a price feed because that violates core economic axioms such as:
1) historical trades are meaningless for algorithmic purposes are can be arbitrarilly manipulated by trades to self.
2) only trades at prices agreed to by both parties are valid... no feed prices
3) prices cannot be calculated and math operations are invalid on prices
4) this system must be decentralized and trust-less, thus there is no point where any trusted oracle is used.

1) trades that have been signed but not entered in the block chain are about as valid as a bitcoin transaction that has been signed but not entered of course you must wait to have it confirmed by 6 blocks.
1a) it is not possible to reverse trades that are confirmed in the block-chain
1b) violates economic axioms on price calculation being invalid

The block chain will not work for instant trades, and of course if you place your 'order' in the chain, then it will be matched by a miner and instantly confirmed.  

Agree to a price, both parties sign, broadcast, wait, spend your funds after 6 confirmation.  If the other party cancels the trade by double-spending then trade with some one else or use the on-chain orderbook.  

AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 06:36:59 AM

There are only two ways you will not be destroyed by the government.

1. Cooperate on regulating the coin such that all anonymity is destroyed. (make sure you read this link, it quotes an astute Yahoo Finance op ed)

2. Be entirely anonymous.

There is no way that government will give up its power to give people debt (and welfare handouts which are the same thing in a different skin), keep the profits and socialize (charge to the public) the losses.

You are arguing that you can convince the ignorant masses they want to give up getting something for nothing. Impossible. There is several thousand years of recorded history that shows this is impossible.

This is an epic racket, and anyone who claims they will eliminate (with grand delusion of a public relations campaign and heroic poems) what has been around since before Jesus and even Mesopotamia, is delusional.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 06:42:26 AM
Last edit: August 26, 2013, 08:59:09 AM by cunicula

Agree to a price, both parties sign, broadcast, wait, spend your funds after 6 confirmation.  If the other party cancels the trade by double-spending then trade with some one else or use the on-chain orderbook.

Okay... I don't think there is any point in further discussion. I'll leave you to your 'axioms.'

bytemaster (OP)

fractally

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2013, 06:43:41 AM

You obviously would never pass the Kobayashi Maru.  

charleshoskinson
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2013, 06:45:50 AM

1. Cooperate on regulating the coin such that all anonymity is destroyed.

2. Be entirely anonymous.

There is no way that government will give up its power to give people debt (and welfare handouts which are the same thing in a different skin), keep the profits and socialize (charge to the public) the losses.

You are arguing that you can convince the masses they want to give up getting something for nothing. Impossible. There is several thousand years of recorded history that shows this is impossible.

This is an epic racket, and anyone who claims they will eliminate (with grand delusion of a public relations campaign and heroic poems) what has been around since before Jesus and even Mesopotamia, is delusional.

AnonyMint, I'm glad you are an expert on programming languages, economics, regulation, the behavior of the American government, human behavior, history and perhaps a thousand other topics; however, this dialogue has not been productive. I asked for a meeting over skype with my CTO, you and me and you declined.

Your feedback is appreciated, but even you must concede that this discussion isn't the intended purpose of this thread. I'd be happy at any time to discuss why we feel our business model is compatible with the existing regulatory environment and our business strategy, yet let's do it in a thread or in a format specifically for that purpose. Our goal here is to help people understand BitShares, the whitepaper and also collect volunteers who would like to help us evolve the idea in a productive way.

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
AnonyMint

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 06:46:27 AM

You obviously would never pass the Kobayashi Maru.  

I had to Wikipedia that term.  Embarrassed

I guess I had to fight with my sister too much over whether our TV was tuned to Captain Kirk or Barbie.

Could you please explain BitAssets? I still don't understand them apparently. And it appears to be your most innovative concept, so I wish to understand it.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
charleshoskinson
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2013, 06:49:19 AM

Okay... I don't think there is any point in further discussion. I'll leave you to your 'axioms.'

He answered your question. I'm sorry that you feel it wasn't sufficient.

becoin
Legendary

Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 06:57:04 AM

AnonyMint... wow you have written a lot and it is very clear that communicating the mechanics of this system is like trying to explain the mechanics and economics of Bitcoin 5 years ago.

I understood the Bitcoin white paper within an hour or so.

Please don't tell me that I can't read research papers.

Be very careful about what you assume...it is likely your explanations that are not well organized and presented. However, I will leave open the possibility that I am sufficiently ignorant of option trading to understand what might be obvious to others.

It is made all the more difficult due to wide spread economic ignorance which means even those most literate among us often have some of the subtitles of economics polluted by the economic propaganda and fallacies pushed upon us by government paid 'economists'.

I have learned very much from Martin Armstrong who was a friend of Milton Friedman (and Margaret Thatcher), and Friedman admired his understanding of economics.

Saving isn't really a good thing in excess, as it is capital that is not applying any thinking, just sitting there dumb.

I am not calling you economically ignorant, only that there is a whiff of keyensian economics to your arguments and I have as strong detector for that.

First of all, probably you (and 99% of readers) don't even know what Keynesian economics is-- it is not printing money. And even so, I don't agree with Keynes's theory.

Rockwell

This smells bad. Lew believes in gold standard, along with Ron Paul and Gary North. They are clueless. I provided a post upthread with many links from Martin Armstrong, which puts to rest that nonsense. I also had a link upthread to my unarguable economic point with a math proof, which I assume you did not read.

First Principles:
1) There is no such thing as idle 'money' or 'unproductive money'.  At all times money is always sitting in someone's account.  It represents a future claim on resources, and abstaining from making a claim is better than trying and failing.

This is a clueless statement. Stop right there.

Go back upthread and read my links about inflation, debasement, and how an economy functions.

I am talking about who is rewarded return, based on what risk and knowledge they input.

There is a very clear math proof. Go find my link to it upthread. You are obviously moving too fast and not able to absorb all the details, because you are trying to program at the same time as do this.

Programming before having a clear consensus on design is not wise, unless you are sure you are omniscient.

2) At any point in time there is a fixed set of resources in the economy and they all belong to someone.
3) Two people swapping resources does not change the size of the pie or health of the economy from the perspective of anyone else simply because they swapped.  Only those two individuals can perceive a gain from the trade as they each have something they value more than they had before.  In other words, money is always held by hoarders and changing the current hoarder is neutral on its own.

No, no, no. Wrong, wrong, wrong. People are not same. What they do with capital is based on their unique knowledge and risk profile.

4) only action can create or destroy value in the economy as a whole.

Wrong! So very wrong.

Inaction destroys capital. Time-preference is fundamental, because the duration of human life is finite.

Your fundamentals are way off course.

5) Hoarding money is choosing not to consume resources.

It is more than that. It depends on how we dilute inaction with debasement. Go read my links upthread so you can learn.

It drives prices down (deflation) which encourages more 'hoarding of money' in a positive cycle that drives prices down until someone sees something they can trade their money for that will increase the value (production) or meet their pressing needs (consumption).

It is choice of where capital is directed that is more important than the choice of doing nothing. Because all capital (human lives) are in motion.

Savers shouldn't lose all their saved money overnight, but they certainly shouldn't be rewarded for doing nothing. They do add some knowledge by being selective, but this is more valuable when they are selective in a way that they are always deploying.

Either way, the hoarders of money benefit both the production of goods by freeing up real capital (not money) for productive purposes and consumption of others by reducing prices through reduced demand and increased production due to investment in capital such as factories.

Malthusian nonsense. More and more efficient production overturns scarcity. Reward goes to those who know how to deploy.

Contrast this against a debt induced demand, which is giving money ignorantly to everyone to spend ignorantly.

Whereas when you give return to those who proved efficient production increase, you concentrate capital to those who increase everything and away from dumb savers and debtors who add nothing.

A saver can only gain return by stealing from those who deploy increases in productivity.

Based upon these principles I reject any argument on its face that claims hoarding and saving is bad.

There needs to be some reserves because of the business cycle due to waves caused by inertia.

That is why we don't debase savers to 0 overnight.

Anyone who is willing to produce value today in exchange for money, and then not consume any resources for 10 years, is providing a huge loan to all of society and interest on that loan is paid via the resulting deflation.    

The really easy 'proof' of the fallacy in your argument is to define 'excess savings' in a meaningful way.  How can I tell that there are excess savings?  If it exists, what free-market options are there to solve it?   Ultimately the answer is always, "tax", "inflate", or "subsidize" and all of these are a violation of non-violent, decentralized principles.

Excess is stealing value from producers to give it to savers with a blanket dividend.

Dividends are a non-negotiable part of the system.  We consider a desire to hoard our currency a huge success because it means we are creating a product people want to own.  The market will then decide our fate.

Then you don't have my support.

I would rather compete against you.

So I will stop giving you design help.
Wow, AnonyMint... How did you succeed to gather all the wrong postulates of modern economics in such a small space? LOL...

Capital is nothing else than postponed consumption. Newly printed money is not capital. Actually, the most efficient way to destroy capital is to print more money thus decreasing the purchasing power of the existing capital. "Dumb" savers don't need your "reward" if there is no monetary inflation. They will gladly keep their savings even at 0% IF there is no monetary inflation (money printing)! Inflation is just an additional tax imposed on our society masked behind smoke and mirrors as a production and consumption incentive in the pseudo scientific economic theories...

If you encourage consumers and punish savers you actually punish the most efficient members of our society, those that produce more with less resources. In the same time you subsidize consumers, those that produce less with more resources. We all know what will happen with a system that is using more material than it creates! It is happening right in front of our eyes. Ever increasing number of people that can't physically exist without loans. This is why payday loan services are flourishing in recent years.

AnonyMint

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 07:01:55 AM
Last edit: August 26, 2013, 07:18:07 AM by AnonyMint

even you must concede that this discussion isn't the intended purpose of this thread

I did not raise the issue of legal threats. Other parties here are discussing it, so they must feel it is important.

I acknowledge that creating the s/w for a coin is far from being officially illegal. But the people who are profiting on the system will take out threats if they deem those threats to be credible, e.g. Edward Snowden has a difficult challenge to stay alive even in Russia (planted double-agents etc).

becoin, you entirely missed the points, and are suffering from Dunning-Kruger effect. Sorry to say. If you want to debate it with me, please start another thread. I am willing to waste another day, to prove to you that my understanding of economics is correct, but in another thread please.

bytemaster (OP)

fractally

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2013, 07:07:11 AM
Last edit: August 26, 2013, 07:24:01 AM by bytemaster

Could you please explain BitAssets? I still don't understand them apparently. And it appears to be your most innovative concept, so I wish to understand it.

I would gladly attempt to explain it again, but I will do so by way of an analogy that takes the blockchain out of the picture and replaces it with trusted 3rd party.

Assume  1 BTS == 1 USD on the market as the initial condition.

Sam wants to buy 1 BitUSD
Pam wants to short 1 BitUSD

Neither Sam nor Pam currently own any BitUSD because BitUSD is issued by Bank of Dan.

Before Pam can sell BitUSD she must borrow it from Dan.  Dan doesn't trust Pam one bit so requires 2x the collateral to be held in escrow.  Pam agrees and gives Dan  2 BTS and Dan lends Pam 1 BitUSD.  

Pam then Sells the 1 BitUSD to Sam for 1 BTS.  

At some point in the future Pam has to pay off her loan from Dan and to do so she must buy 1 BitUSD on the market.  

There are two outcomes:

1) 1 BTS == 2 USD,  Pam is able to buy 1 BitUSD for 0.5 BTS on the open market, then go to the bank pay off her loan and free her 2 BTS collateral.  In this case Pam ends up with a profit of .5 BTS for a 50% gain.

2) 1 BTS == 0.67 USD,  in this event Dan starts to get concerned that Pam will run out of margin so exercises his right to cover the loan with the collateral.   Dan enters the market and buys 1 BitUSD for 1.5 BTS and then gives Pam the change of 0.5 BTS minus a margin call fee.

At the start and end of the day all BitUSD is owned by the Bank.

BTS can be thought of as shares in the bank.  Dividends as profits from operating the bank.  

The only thing required for this to function is a way to enable the block chain to enforce margin calls that cannot be manipulated.

AnonyMint

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 07:23:30 AM

2) 1 BTS == 0.75 USD,  in this event Dan starts to get concerned that Pam will run out of margin so exercises his right to cover the loan with the collateral.   Dan enters the market and buys 1 BitUSD for 1.5 BTS and then gives Pam the change of 0.5 BTS minus a margin call fee.

Typo, I assume you mean 1 BTS == 0.67 USD, else you mean 1 BitUSD for 1.33 BTS.

bytemaster (OP)

fractally

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2013, 07:25:32 AM

2) 1 BTS == 0.75 USD,  in this event Dan starts to get concerned that Pam will run out of margin so exercises his right to cover the loan with the collateral.   Dan enters the market and buys 1 BitUSD for 1.5 BTS and then gives Pam the change of 0.5 BTS minus a margin call fee.
Typo, I assume you mean 1 BTS == 0.67 USD, else you mean 1 BitUSD for 1.33 BTS.
I had it right at first, then 'fixed' it wrong.   

Is it a good sign that you only had a math error to point out?

AnonyMint

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 07:32:21 AM

Pam puts up 2X collateral, so where does Sam's payment go? Or are you saying that Pam gets 1/2 her collateral by selling to Sam?

Sam owns the BitUSD but you say the bank owns the BitUSD.  Huh

Where did the bank get the BitUSD? If they create it out of thin air, then this is an increase in the money supply, but then it is retired later when it is redeemed? But if the Bank makes a margin call on Pam, then if the BitUSD is retired, then how is Sam affected?

Sorry I am still confused. Perhaps I am very slow to grasp it. Apologies.

charleshoskinson
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2013, 07:35:54 AM

becoin, you entirely missed the points, and are suffering from Dunning-Kruger effect. Sorry to say. If you want to debate it with me, please start another thread. I am willing to waste another day, to prove to you that my understanding of economics is correct, but in another thread please.

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than average. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their mistakes.

I find it beyond dubious that a random man walks into my thread and systematically attacks every design decision we have made, programming languages built by teams of brilliant designers with decades of collective experience, the economic knowledge of men like Ron Paul and Lew Rockwell and then has the audacity to cite the Dunning-Kruger effect. This almost seems like a game rather than a legitimate debate. I understand that you are thoroughly impressed with yourself so much so to label us as unskilled individuals.

But let me remind you that we are also the ones who are actually building a product and working countless hours every week. While I really do love having debates, at some point work needs to be done and I'm confident we can manage without your help. Why don't you run along and start competing with us as you stated earlier. And please keep those trade secrets with you.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: