Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 01:10:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Announce] Project Quixote - BitShares, BitNames and 'BitMessage'  (Read 48264 times)
td services

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

black swan hunter

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 10:30:43 PM

Thanks Quant, you confirm my observations, though #2 needs some research, still studying to understand the different kinds of markets and instruments.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 02:33:58 AM

Thanks Quant, you confirm my observations, though #2 needs some research, still studying to understand the different kinds of markets and instruments.

Don't put your money into trading. You will lose it. Period. I speak from experience. Listen to Quant.

Apologies for continuing the off-topic issue.

Back on topic, when you release your altcoin, if it has useful innovative features, then you should not have trouble gaining adoption.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
td services

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

black swan hunter

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 04:34:39 AM

That's what Quant is saying. P2P crosschain trading has the advantage of greatly reducing the fees, but sooner or later a trader is going to hit an extended losing streak (Gambler's Ruin) or a market collapse (Black Swan Event). I'm curious how Quant makes a living off of it, though, if it is a losing proposition.
favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2013, 07:17:25 AM

still no reddit? okayface.jpg

charleshoskinson
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2013, 04:24:12 PM

patience, lot of stuff to do. Reddit coming soon and we'll even have one of those media directors that companies are suppose to have Smiley. We'll post a large update over the coming weeks including a newsletter announcement. Invictus has been innovating at an astounding pace.

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2013, 04:32:19 PM

that's nice and all, but it takes less than a minute to open a subreddit...

charleshoskinson
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2013, 05:15:48 PM

but there's the time cost of managing it and maintaining the community.

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 09:24:36 PM

Bitshares is a ponzi scheme. Plain and simple. Read the following thread thoroughly before you consider giving them money.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=298677.0

I played three card monte on a corner in the tenderloin once with a random acquaintance.
I won on paper. (I picked the correct card.)
They had already won as soon as I took my money out of my pocket. The game was a distraction.

This is no different.

bytemaster (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 566

fractally

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2013, 11:53:34 PM

Bitshares is a ponzi scheme. Plain and simple. Read the following thread thoroughly before you consider giving them money.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=298677.0

I played three card monte on a corner in the tenderloin once with a random acquaintance.
I won on paper. (I picked the correct card.)
They had already won as soon as I took my money out of my pocket. The game was a distraction.

This is no different.
We have been incredibly transparent in everything we are attempting to do.   Unfortunately, the arguments presented by cunicula are attacking a straw-man.   If you are going to attack what we are doing you must first understand what we are doing.  I would hope that before you go around calling us scammers you would take some time to talk with us via Skype.

So here are the questions for you:
1) What money have we taken from the public?  0.
2) How are we using new investor money to payout early investors?
3) How are we using the investors own money to pay out returns? 
4) Are we doing any pre-mining?  No.

Lacking any evidence on those three items, you cannot call us a ponzi scheme and doing so is intellectually dishonest. 

What remains is whether or not the economics of the system we have designed work and are sustainable.  This has several layers, so lets deal with the BitShares themselves and not any derivatives based upon them.   The dividend system pays people a real return from the transaction fees and the stock-split process is just a means of gradually increasing the number of units in circulation without diluting anyones position.  As a result, BitShares as a 'currency' is less inflationary than Bitcoin.

At this point I have done nothing but create a less inflationary crytpo-currency than bitcoin, it could be called an alt-coin if that is all the system allowed.   This is no more ponzi than bitcoin and no more 'pump and dump' than Litecoin which was launched to address centralization in bitcoin and represents significant innovation in the space.

Then I add one very simple instrument on top of a legitimate crypto-coin.  I allow two people to create a transaction that are equal and opposite sides of a bet.  The strike-price on the bet is the current estimated exchange rate between BitShares and some other asset.    The terms of the bet are that the Long side must voluntarily sell their position.  The Short side must pay their dividends to the long side.   And that a miner may force the short-side to accept the lowest ask in order to cover the position if the lowest ask would result in less than 50% margin.     I am not one of these parties, and both parties agree to the terms.

Our theory is that such a contract, enforced by the blockchain, will result in a market-based price discovery system.  If our theory is wrong then the test network which will be used to validate the economics of the system will discover the flaw and no one will make or lose any money. 

You can surmise that the result of this game theory will not result in price stability, but to make that assumption you must pick one of three potential outcomes:

1) BitAsset goes to 0 thus scamming the holder to benefit the short which would profit.
2) BitAsset maintains the value of the collateral and is thus no different than BitShares in terms of volatility.
3) BitAsset will deviate in some non-deterministic manner from the intended market peg.. this is a serious claim and requires proof.

All we are doing is creating a market for people to speculate and we are providing a means to test it prior to anyone investing significant money. 

Good luck raising your own funds, your system is complex, flawed in fundamental ways, and yet you are attempting to raise money directly from the public which has no way to evaluate your ideas.   I would call your system a scam, but that would involve making a judgement about your intentions which I am smart enough to realize I have no ability to know or judge.

https://fractally.com - the next generation of decentralized autonomous organizations (DAOs).
bybitcoin

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 01:23:04 AM

bytemaster, I have got a question:
If value of the system belongs to bitshares and these bitshares will be mining from 0 (no-premine) then,
how will you get back some value (or bitshares) in compensation for you idea-design and coding-effort-time that you've invested and contributed to this project?  
bytemaster (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 566

fractally

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2013, 01:33:20 AM

If value of the system belongs to bitshares and these bitshares will be mining from 0 (no-premine) then,
how will you get back some value (or bitshares) in compensation for you idea-design and coding-effort-time that you've invested and contributed to this project?  

We have very creative monetization strategies that go far beyond just BitShares, but these are trade secrets for now.   More will become clear at C3.

https://fractally.com - the next generation of decentralized autonomous organizations (DAOs).
charleshoskinson
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2013, 01:57:18 AM

This is what makes our company so innovative. We've found ways of doing completely open source software and still making money. Once the model becomes known, we hope that it will spread across the Bitcoin and OS communities helping hundreds of small projects grow.

bybitcoin

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 02:18:28 AM

I heard you are a math guy, curious to know which field of math?  Smiley
I, myself, specialized in Algebraic Number Theory and nice to see math people around!
charleshoskinson
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2013, 02:24:54 AM

Analytic and Additive Number Theory out of CU Boulder and then moved into cryptography first studying public key cryptosystems and eventually fully homomorphic encryption. I've done some Galois theory and spent a great deal of time dealing with integer factorization.

I really admire the algebra in some of the fermat stuff dealing with semistable elliptic curves. I have this book written by Serge Lang that looks like a roadmap to hell. What was your specialty?

bybitcoin

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 02:34:58 AM

Serge Lang book is a bit out of date, there are much better books like Cassels and Frohlich one (as editors)
Analytic methods are used and play a crucial rule in Algebraic Number Theory as well, for me algebraic means a framework to search into things more systematized.
I used to work a bit in Langlands and also a bit in class field theory in general, but had a small project in elliptic curves as well.
Cryptography I didn't like much before (preferred more pure proof-based theoretical stuffs) but since I got more time and also got familiar with bitcoin, I get more interests in the field everyday.
charleshoskinson
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2013, 02:44:38 AM

Lol, considering he's dead one would expect such. The book I was referring to was Survey on Diophantine Geometry which came out in 1997. Have you ever read Nathanson's books on additive number theory?

Also if you're up for the challenge:

http://www.stanford.edu/~zvika/localpapers/IdealHom.pdf

bybitcoin

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 02:54:06 AM

I thought you are speaking about his Algebraic Number Theory book.. His Diophantine Geometry one is a very nice treatment!
Actually Cassels and Frohlich is much older I suspect, 1967, but much more modern in presentation. Serge Lang was very Borabakist and dry in style.
I had a short glance in Nathanson's lectures years ago, though not a careful reading, but will have a more careful look into that paper for sure!
Actually I've got some nice crypto-economic project-ideas too recently, but unfortunately I am not enough good and patient in coding Sad
I wish you great success with your current project Smiley
charleshoskinson
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2013, 04:32:30 AM

Thank you for your kind words. I just hope to make enough to retire and solve the Goldbach conjecture. Sadly, I think changing the world's money system is probably an easier problem.

What do you think of Hungerford's Algebra?

bybitcoin

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 04:49:15 AM

Yeah changing the world money system seems to be much easier than solving Goldbach's conjecture, and Goldbach's has to be much easier than some other number theory conjectures Wink 
Hungerford's doesn't include much about homological algebra and nothing about group representations. Lang's is again dry but self-sufficient.
Shafarevich also has a general book about Algebra that I like very much.
charleshoskinson
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2013, 05:12:54 AM

Goldbach is actually one of the hardest problems to resolve in number theory in my opinion. It has some of the deepest connections possible in prime distribution and explaining how factorization changes with addition, which is why Hardy and Littlewood spent so much time analyzing it.

I actually came up with a corpus using Wiles work alongside some insights from Tao to resolve the Goldbach conjecture in a fairly creative way, but it's beyond my current mathematical ability to explore. I would need about ten years and access to some great minds. 

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: