Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:47:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DIY Custom Open Hardware & Software Guild (Call for Ideas)  (Read 1931 times)
Bicknellski (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 07:10:02 AM
Last edit: September 15, 2013, 03:26:59 AM by Bicknellski

Situation

There are millions being spent in Custom Hardware and a wide range of developers, users and suppliers within this very forum. This is a fairly young and immature marketplace with a rapidly changing range of products. At times users and hardware makers are working in tandem very well but at other times there is discord.

Purpose

The CHA would be an open membership association set up to promote ethical business practices and provide unbiased consumer information so that users have the necessary information to make informed decisions about product purchases as well as learn about new and potentially disruptive businesses, technology or regulations that could have destabilizing effects directly on the Bitcoin mining community.

Response

By providing ethical guidelines to custom hardware vendors the community and the vendors can work to improve the Bitcoin economy and more effectively protect the network by getting more mining power online faster while hopefully mitigating rapid obsolescence before the custom hardware reaches the consumer.

By providing unbiased and clear information consumers will make better use of their resources and avoid protracted waiting times to get a return on their investments.

By reducing the volume and tenor of discord this community can then focus on more important aspects and work to mutually beneficial goals by bootstrapping the Bitcoin infrastructure and finding viable uses for Bitcoins like the support of escrow services for Custom Hardware vendors and users.

Evaluation

When successful this association will be able to help both miners and custom hardware makers enjoy better returns and thus enjoy a better life over all. Not that bad a result.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bicknellski (OP)

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 07:10:17 AM
Last edit: January 17, 2014, 02:46:37 PM by Bicknellski

[RESERVED]

Signatories to the Custom Hardware Association Standards - [BETA 0.1]

Note: If you would like to be recognised as agreeing to the CHA Standards Beta 0.1 post reply in kind in the thread.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Bicknellski (OP)

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 07:11:33 AM

Feel free to discuss and add thoughts. I would be willing to help work through a set of initial ethical guidelines that can be used or if anyone has something I can compile that and keep things stored until this is formalized to some extent.

Bicknellski (OP)

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 05:56:26 AM

Bicknellski (OP)

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 09:43:29 AM
Last edit: August 28, 2013, 10:42:21 AM by Bicknellski

Custom Hardware Association Standards - [BETA 0.1]

CHA standards represents sound advertising, selling and customer service practices that enhance customer trust and confidence in business. The Code is built on the eight principles that summarize important elements of creating and maintaining trust in business.

To join as the Custom Harward Association the business or organization affirms that it meets and will abide by the following standards:

1. Build Trust

Establish and maintain a positive track record in the marketplace.

An member business or organization agrees to:

A. Have been operational (actively selling products or services) in any bitcoin custom hardware mining area for at least the most recent 12 months with documented and proven sales.

B. Fulfill all licensing and bonding requirements of applicable jurisdictions

C. Be free from government action that demonstrates a significant failure to support CHA ethical principles in marketplace transactions

D. Be free of an unsatisfactory rating. (Yet to be determined anonymous customer feed back rating system)

E. In its relationship with the bitcoin community:

+ meet all applicable standards within this Code of Business Practices
+ cooperate with CHA’s activities and efforts to promote voluntary self-regulation within the business’ industry

2. Advertise Honestly

Adhere to established standards of advertising and selling.

An accredited business or organization agrees to:

A. Follow their national, state/provincial and local advertising laws.

B. Abide by a Code of Advertising. Supply, upon request, substantiation for advertising and selling claims. Correct advertising and selling practices, when recommended by peer review from the CHA.

C. Adhere to applicable industry codes of advertising.

D. Cooperate with self-regulatory programs for the resolution of advertising disputes.

E. Use the CHA name and logos in accordance with CHA policy.

F. Avoid misleading customers by creating the false impression of sponsorship, endorsement, popularity, trustworthiness, product quality or business size through the misuse of logos, trustmarks, pictures, testimonials, or other means.

3. Tell the Truth

Honestly represent products and services, including clear and adequate disclosures of all material terms.

A. Make known all material facts in both written and verbal representations, remembering that misrepresentation may result not only from direct statements but by omitting or obscuring relevant facts.

B. Ensure that any written materials are readily available, clear, accurate and complete.

4. Be Transparent

Openly identify the nature, location, and ownership of the business, and clearly disclose all policies, guarantees and procedures that bear on a customer’s decision to buy.

A. Upon request, provide CHA with all information required to evaluate compliance with CHA standards. This may include, but is not limited to business name, address and contact information; names and background of principals; business and banking references; licensing and/or professional accreditation; and a complete description of the nature of the business.

B. Clearly disclose to customers:

+ direct and effective means to contact the business
+ terms of any written contract
+ any guarantees or warranties accompanying a product
+ any restrictions or limitations imposed (e.g. limited supply,maximum number available per customer)
+ the business’ return/refund policy
+ any recurring commitment into which the customer may be entering, including information on how future billing will occur
+ total cost of the transaction, including tax, shipping and handling, and other related charges

C. If selling products or providing services on Web sites or via other electronic means:

+ provide any required product labeling information
+ disclose the nature and terms of shipping, including any known delays or shortages of stock
+ provide an opportunity to review and confirm the transaction before the sale is completed
+ provide a receipt summarizing the transaction after the purchase

5. Honor Promises

Abide by all written agreements and verbal representations.

A. Fulfill contracts signed and agreements reached.

B. Honor representations by correcting mistakes as quickly as possible.

6. Be Responsive

Address marketplace disputes quickly, professionally, and in good faith.

A. Promptly respond to all complaints forwarded by BBB by:

1. Resolving the complaint directly with the complainant and notifying CHA, or

2. Providing CHA with a response that CHA determines:

+ is professional, addresses all of the issues raised by the complainant, includes appropriate evidence and documents supporting the business’ position, and explains why any relief sought by the complainant cannot or should not be granted.

B. Make a good faith effort to resolve disputes, which includes mediation if requested by CHA. Other dispute resolution options, including arbitration, may be recommended by CHA when other efforts to resolve a dispute have failed. CHA may consider a business’ willingness to participate in recommended dispute resolution options in determining compliance with these standards.

C. Comply with any settlements, agreements or decisions reached as an outcome of a CHA dispute resolution process.

D. Cooperate with CHA in efforts to eliminate the underlying cause of patterns of customer complaints that are identified by CHA.

7. Safeguard Privacy

Protect any data collected against mishandling and fraud, collect personal information only as needed, and respect the preferences of customers regarding the use of their information.

A. Respect Privacy

Businesses conducting e-commerce agree to disclose on their Web site the following:

+ what information they collect,
+ with whom it is shared,
+ how it can be corrected,
+ how it is secured,
+ how policy changes will be communicated, and;
+ how to address concerns over misuse of personal data.

B. Secure Sensitive Data

Businesses that collect sensitive data online will ensure that it is transmitted via secure means. Businesses will make best efforts to comply with industry standards for the protection and proper disposal of all sensitive data, both online and offline.

C. Honor Customer Preferences

Businesses agree to respect customer preferences regarding contact by telephone, fax and e-mail, and agree to remedy the underlying cause of any failure to do so.

8. Embody Integrity

Approach all business dealings, marketplace transactions and commitments with integrity.

A member business or organization agrees to:

Avoid involvement, by the business or its principals, in activities that reflect unfavorably on, or otherwise adversely affect the public image of bitcoin, botcoing mining or the CHA or its other member businesses.

Modified from: http://www.bbb.org/us/bbb-accreditation-standards/

Bicknellski (OP)

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 09:44:22 AM
Last edit: August 28, 2013, 10:37:33 AM by Bicknellski

Big Picture Mining Cooperative agrees to follow Custom Hardware Association Standards - [BETA 0.1]

Will any other hardware vendors pledge to follow these standards?

dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2013, 01:42:13 PM

While I wish you all the best, this fundamentally doesn't solve anything. If I'm BFL and I promise to deliver in 2 weeks, I also promise to agree to your terms. I then break both, what are you going to do?

The only remote way this would work is if manufacturers agree to hold a deposit with the association - which they won't.

Bicknellski (OP)

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 02:43:17 PM
Last edit: August 28, 2013, 04:15:45 PM by Bicknellski

While I wish you all the best, this fundamentally doesn't solve anything. If I'm BFL and I promise to deliver in 2 weeks, I also promise to agree to your terms. I then break both, what are you going to do?

The only remote way this would work is if manufacturers agree to hold a deposit with the association - which they won't.

Need to read a little more closely there are provision for situations just like you posted as well as any others.

This could work with a SUBFORUM so that complaints would be handled by moderators who agree to judge threads based on the Custom Hardware Association Standards - [BETA 0.1]. Moderators would be users and fabricators or anyone that agrees to the standards. These moderators will uphold those standards so companies that fail would be banned from posting in this subforum their threads locked and moved out. Problem solved.

The point is if you agree to the terms you are working to solve the problems if they arise. It would be painfully obvious to see if someone is NOT following this set of standards and would be given the chance to resolve the issue in a reasonable time or explain the problem. If the user is happy with the explanation or another solution is found great. If we get taunting and threats from the company they would be banned. Likewise users have to follow the standards as well or banned. Users have to give the company time to respond and try to resolve the issue. Check the standards they are pretty clear. We don't need to hold money. This is reputation based association free to join free to quit and free to promote your wares in that subforum as long as you follow the standards.

TLDR.

The long and the short of it.

The community is welcome to post complaints and the Association would work to help resolve the issues in the forum. I would love to have Yifu join... come and explain properly to our user base where our chips are right now, where is the tracking information for each group buy and when can we expect delivery. Calling him an ahole gets little done, threaten a lawsuit is a last resort but if fabricators are honest and truthful this is a simple way to have the community build trust between fab and user. It will work if companies take the unusual risk of agreeing to the terms.

What do you think of the Standards?  

CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 02:52:33 PM

Hi Bick,

I haven't had a chance to read over the OP, but I can tell from a quick glance this would be a good thing for the community if effectively organized. I just wanted to post my support.

Cheers
Bicknellski (OP)

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 03:16:03 PM

Hi Bick,

I haven't had a chance to read over the OP, but I can tell from a quick glance this would be a good thing for the community if effectively organized. I just wanted to post my support.

Cheers

When you get time do have a read... I think it would be an IDEAL subforum if it is possible to do that.

Bicknellski (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 03:26:11 AM

This could be morphed into an open source hardware / software or DIY Custom Hardware Guild as well. Given the work of hundreds of people on the gen1 avalon chip boards there is certainly a lot of people keen on supporting a more collective approach.

AdamKD

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 03:53:14 AM

This could be morphed into an open source hardware / software or DIY Custom Hardware Guild as well. Given the work of hundreds of people on the gen1 avalon chip boards there is certainly a lot of people keen on supporting a more collective approach.

I think there's a lot of interest for "open source hardware" chips ... Your general idea, to me, looks very on-track (Then again, so did Avalon's "No Bullshit" policy ... no insult meant in any way towards you though.  Just making a distinction that Idealism != Reality) .  I'm uncertain though of specifics which sort of would make something like this work or whether it'd even work.  To me it seems there would be a lot more interest / support for an 'Association' supported somehow (?how?) that provides blueprints for ASIC chips so that 'Members' (defined ?how? at what ?cost?) can run with them to a factory ... this can be enforceable in different ways that would make ensure the longevity of such an 'Association' so that someone can't 'steal' (how can you steal something ?open?) and negatively impact such an association.

I'd be curious on a private and/or public discussion bouncing ideas if you're interested.
Bicknellski (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 04:56:17 AM

I think this is more of a seed for the DIY to start from. I am hopeful that we wouldn't need to be dependent on a "chip" to get things going.

An actual open source ASIC chip would be a great starting point but there are obviously some easier pathways to get started on this. Something like the Klondike mindset and using a off the shelf chip to start with.

In terms of "membership fees" I see it more as sweat equity. People can put in time, money and work to the development of projects for not just hardware but software etc that the whole community can use whether they are members or not. Having something that is more grassroots miner built and funded as opposed to commercial would be a great place to start. I think also that BitCoin conferences where the DIY Open Source Hardware / Software guild could interact with the community would also be great.

There are some great ideas for curecoin's using our hash power for other things besides BTC. What will happen with those million dollars worth of miners when they become useless? I think a guild could work on that and provide alternative uses for this huge wasted resource that is going to occur.

Bounce some ideas here... then when we get enough of ground swell I think we can move forward and even have project that we can all support.

Bicknellski (OP)

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 02:48:38 PM

... an idea which needs to be pushed forward.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: