Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:11:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Invest in mining in 2018 - ROI  (Read 229 times)
Miner_GR (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 03:27:58 PM

There are many hot topic here these days whether should one invest on mining NOW. of course nobody can forsee the future and everydoy can only make estimations.

Currently the price of GPUs has really increased and no matter what some say it is not possible to find cheap ones, the only question is how expensive they will be. In most cases, under the current conditions, it would take between 6 -10 months to take your money back, depending on if you plan only to add one gpu, create a new rig from the beginning, the price of gpus you will find etc.

My question to everybody is what is the bordeline "take my money back" period that you would accept for putting your money NOW in mining. Is it up to 8 months, 9 , 5 or what ?

I have no idea about the correct action but I would "guesstimate" something like 6 months.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hawkfish007

Activity: 895
Merit: 504

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 03:41:32 PM

There are many hot topic here these days whether should one invest on mining NOW. of course nobody can forsee the future and everydoy can only make estimations.

Currently the price of GPUs has really increased and no matter what some say it is not possible to find cheap ones, the only question is how expensive they will be. In most cases, under the current conditions, it would take between 6 -10 months to take your money back, depending on if you plan only to add one gpu, create a new rig from the beginning, the price of gpus you will find etc.

My question to everybody is what is the bordeline "take my money back" period that you would accept for putting your money NOW in mining. Is it up to 8 months, 9 , 5 or what ?

I have no idea about the correct action but I would "guesstimate" something like 6 months.

I received 2 notifications  of 1080 Ti and 1070 Ti availability from Newegg yesterday $869 and $559 and were able to purchase. I was at work so couldn't use BTC and additional addresses to buy more. It is still possible to get GPUs at decent price, but at a limited quantity. To me if ROI is 12 months, it's still the best investment. If I buy $6000-$7000 worth of Apple stocks (roughly equivalent to a 1080 Ti rig), what will I get in return in 12 months? At best 4%? Whereas, you can sell the GPUs probably at your purchase price or even more at the end of 12 months, or continue mining.

For quality risers, splitters or 133 CFM fans, please visit my eBay listings,
http://www.ebay.com/sch/hawkfish007/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1
KaydenC

Activity: 610
Merit: 265

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2018, 03:45:46 PM

Below 18 months for Volta and HDD mining.

For pascal below 8 months because it's EOL soon. But in general I refuse to pay huge markups for cards even if it's within my ROI cutoff. Value at risk becomes too high. I'll put money in HDD instead.
VyprBTC

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 05:12:01 PM

I received 2 notifications  of 1080 Ti and 1070 Ti availability from Newegg yesterday $869 and $559 and were able to purchase. I was at work so couldn't use BTC and additional addresses to buy more. It is still possible to get GPUs at decent price, but at a limited quantity. To me if ROI is 12 months, it's still the best investment. If I buy $6000-$7000 worth of Apple stocks (roughly equivalent to a 1080 Ti rig), what will I get in return in 12 months? At best 4%? Whereas, you can sell the GPUs probably at your purchase price or even more at the end of 12 months, or continue mining.

Sorry hawk that's a very poor example because Apple rose 50% last year and I receive dividends from them every quarter, it's around 2%.
CryptoMishka

Activity: 109
Merit: 4

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 05:51:42 PM

I don't think there will be accurate calculations. No one can be completely sure which way to go to the market-up, down. And there and the terms will change.
TheRealMrQ

Activity: 11

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2018, 05:53:58 PM

It is nearly impossible to determine ROI with GPU mining these days, a well educated guess, clever market watch and what type of mining you into can all have a factor to play.
However, if you decide to go down this road and "invest" in mining rigs, for me it works out better to keep an eye on the Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR)

To calculate the CAGR of your portfolio from the period from Jan 1, 2014 to Jan 1, 2017, you would divide the final value of your portfolio by the portfolio's initial value ($19,500 / $10,000 = 1.95). Next, you would raise the result to the power of 1 divided by the number of years (1/3 or 0.3333). (taken from https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/cagr.asp)
mtmonte
Copper Member

Activity: 71
Merit: 3

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2018, 06:48:17 PM

A lot of people say the they can sell the GPUs after a year for a similar price as new but will anyone actually buy them?  With new cards coming out every year and increased supply to combat demand I can’t be so sure that it will be the case.  Especially with the number of people that may be selling then..

treanski

Activity: 364
Merit: 106

ONe Social Network.

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 06:55:07 PM

i could sell my rx580´s for 20-30% more than i paid 9 months ago, yeah and vega prices you get now after 6 months around 100% more ^^
for me crypto is like stock trading, play only with the money you reallly dont need and dont hurts if you loose all

aizzaku
Legendary

Activity: 1146
Merit: 1006

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 07:02:47 PM

It is quite tricky indeed to determine the ROI.
The factors considered here are 1. cost of electricity 2. current price of the coin your mining

what you can say for sure is that if at day one you calculate the ROI and its say around 10-12 months depending on the investment cost, the time goes on reducing and the price of coin goes on increasing. Your electricity cost will remain same more or less.
It is possible to get reasonable priced gpus which are used by gamers.. maybe not in bulk.. but what i am doing is acquiring 1-2 as and when someone is selling.
I recently got 3 RX 480 for approx $1000.

then their is a whole thing of speculative mining... i recently herd people made rigs with 6 gpus and ROI'd in a month already.
But this needs time. like full time of you, to look at markets, switch miners and sell at the right time. Less automated rather.

BlockchainGaming A PARADIGM SHIFT IN THE GAMING INDUSTRY
Website | Blog | Forum | Wiki | Events | Marketplace (coming soon)
Bittrac67all

Activity: 196
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 07:18:00 PM

Mining and metals stocks may not be as hot as tech or blockchain, but they're strong positions to hold moving into 2018, according to Credit Suisse analysts in a Dec. 21 note.
Steel price momentum will continue on a positive trajectory into at least the first half of 2018, with the possibility of HRC testing the $675 to $700 per ton range. The implied 6.5% to 10.4% gain in price over the next six months will come as a result of higher scrap, seasonally stronger demand and lower imports
xxcsu

Activity: 1498
Merit: 597

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2018, 07:22:48 PM

No one can tell you !
Do your own research !
No one can tell you for sure what's going to happen with cryptocurrency !
No one can tell you it's going to be profitable for you or not !
No one can tell you how much profit you going to be able to make ! ( if you can make any at all )
No one can tell you the ROI ( return of investment) time !
None of those calculators you are seeing on the web can tell you what's coming tomorrow , months later or 6 months later !
Those calculators telling you about today , at that moment when you typing in your information !
None of those online calculators calculating pool luck !
None of those online calculators able to predict difficulty growth !
None of those online calculators can predict what would be the coin/$ exchanges rates tomorrow , months later or 6 months later a year later !
It's little bit of gambling , you must to decide you want to play on the lottery or not  Grin

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
If you like the answer you got for your question from any member ,
If you find any post useful , informative use the +Merit button.
Miningtry

Activity: 96

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 07:28:53 PM

Below 18 months for Volta and HDD mining.

For pascal below 8 months because it's EOL soon. But in general I refuse to pay huge markups for cards even if it's within my ROI cutoff. Value at risk becomes too high. I'll put money in HDD instead.

How much can you make investing in hdd mining?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: