Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:30:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: i am literally thinking about renting a cheaper apt to continue mining  (Read 726 times)
ggbtctalk000 (OP)

Activity: 394
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 02:19:13 AM

My condo unit is all amped up and more than I am concerned about blowing the circuitry. Based on calculation, if I rent low end 1bdrom or studio, I can put a several miners and still comes out with gain albeit less. Whatchu think?  Tongue
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kisk

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 02:27:42 AM

You literally gave zero details. How is anyone supposed to reply to this?

"YES GO FOR IT" ?
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 02:27:45 AM

My condo unit is all amped up and more than I am concerned about blowing the circuitry. Based on calculation, if I rent low end 1bdrom or studio, I can put a several miners and still comes out with gain albeit less. Whatchu think?  Tongue

You shouldn't be concerned about tripping breakers.  You should be operating at 80% of your capacity, so you don't have to worry about those things.

You didn't provide any numbers, whatsoever.  How could anyone tell you if what you're thinking is a good idea or a bad idea with 0 as the number?

0=GREAT IDEA ... 0=HORRIBLE IDEA ... Without the variables, no one can calculate and provide an opinion.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
flip4flop

Activity: 378
Merit: 135

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 02:28:07 AM

Why not look into commercial space somewhere? You will get cheaper electric rates and if you have more rigs to put somewhere you should be able to make quite a bit more than stashing them in an apartment which may be limited on what it can hold.
Rkoshay

Activity: 96
Merit: 3

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 02:28:14 AM

Maybe look into renting an industrial place with higher load service panel, find one that won't mind you living there.
gotminer

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 02:40:54 AM

Yes industrial space is great, but he said "several" miners ... WTF does several mean?  I assume it means more than 1 and less than 50.  There are no numbers involved.  The fucking question cannot be answered without the numbers.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
nsummy

Activity: 1178
Merit: 131

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 02:54:43 AM

LOL, if you have such a big mining operation that you are afraid of tripping breakers or starting a fire, do you really think its plausible to live in a studio apartment with all of that equipment 20 feet from your bed?
gotminer

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 03:00:44 AM

LOL, if you have such a big mining operation that you are afraid of tripping breakers or starting a fire, do you really think its plausible to live in a studio apartment with all of that equipment 20 feet from your bed?

He doesn't want to live in that studio apt does he?  At least that's what I got out of his non sensical post.  I thought that he wanted to rent the studio apt, just to host additional rigs that he can't host at his home, because he is maxed out in that location.

Who knows what he is thinking, i guess. 

TheHas

Activity: 616
Merit: 167

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 03:25:51 AM

Depending on where you live, it might be cheaper to get a small industrial space. Can even add more power to it from there if you expand. Would take a while to crunch the jumbers.
gotminer

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 03:36:50 AM

Good luck trying to get a rented residential space to upgrade.

ggbtctalk000 (OP)

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 04:48:25 AM

Ok i can not respond to every question here are the thing:
Yes i am considering to get a warehouse, or industrial but smaller space are harder to find and i am concerned there is a need to establish a business entity. Also prrof to pay the warehouse rental 3-5 years etc, it got bit too unyieldy, at home i have 16 gtx running to earn about 1500$  a month at a current rate. I sofor bought about 30 something Gtx1080 costing total of 25k  meaning half of them are collecting dust doing nothing. But still i lucky took get most of them before current market almost doubled, 8 I cant just operate all of them because electric rate will go skyward and i am hearing reports public utilities get nosy around the usage.

Meantime i am considering to get 3-6 month of lease of additional studio at a rate of about 500ish and run the rest there.
NobodyIsHome

Activity: 74
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 05:03:07 AM

I had to move my rigs out of my home into a warehouse because of the heat and electricity.  Trying to pull 20kW of juice from a residential area will likely trigger some red flags.

Commercial rates are better (where I'm located at least) at the high end as you may get discounted rates for consistent draw... I think my calculated rate is around 0.08 USD/kWh.
ggbtctalk000 (OP)

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 07:20:50 AM

I had to move my rigs out of my home into a warehouse because of the heat and electricity.  Trying to pull 20kW of juice from a residential area will likely trigger some red flags.

Commercial rates are better (where I'm located at least) at the high end as you may get discounted rates for consistent draw... I think my calculated rate is around 0.08 USD/kWh.

In norcal where pge owns and abuses the rate, 400% over baseline will trigger the whopping 40c/kw but even at that rate it is still pretty profitable.
VyprBTC

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 07:29:49 AM

In norcal where pge owns and abuses the rate, 400% over baseline will trigger the whopping 40c/kw but even at that rate it is still pretty profitable.

Nigga you in NorCal home of the fucking Grow Op, do like everyone else and rent a space and don't grow weed, plant miners not clones and seeds.

*drops mic
ggbtctalk000 (OP)

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 08:03:45 AM

i am also putting each GPU in low power mode to maximize the efficiency so one miner with 4x gpu pulls out half KW so total of 16 GPU is about 2KW draw at this time. Considering 120V, I am assuming it is amperage is about 2KW/220v = 16.6A 24 hrs.
I distributed the load around the place by plugging only 1 miner per power outlet, however since I dont know how it is connected behind the wall (whether the two or multiple sockets are connected through same wire behind the wall). I might commission anohter miner totaling 2.5KW and I think I will call this a max at my place.
gotminer

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 12:36:31 AM

I don't understand why a mining operation would care about triggering red flags based on energy usage.  You aren't doing anything illegal, unless you're trying to get away with tax evasion, which you should not be doing.

ggbtctalk000 (OP)

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 01:07:04 AM

I don't understand why a mining operation would care about triggering red flags based on energy usage.  You aren't doing anything illegal, unless you're trying to get away with tax evasion, which you should not be doing.

Normally I would not, and I think it depends on which geographical area. If the area's energy grid is overused or strained which I think tends to be in bay area, they might take some action, or perhaps not. I dont know.

In some places like they are trying to sell the excess energy where power plant is operating only fraction of percentage, thye probably not even going to care or even encourage. That seems to be the case with certain Canadian hydro power regions.
gotminer

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 01:20:05 AM

I had to move my rigs out of my home into a warehouse because of the heat and electricity.  Trying to pull 20kW of juice from a residential area will likely trigger some red flags.

I don't understand why a mining operation would care about triggering red flags based on energy usage.  You aren't doing anything illegal, unless you're trying to get away with tax evasion, which you should not be doing.

Normally I would not, and I think it depends on which geographical area. If the area's energy grid is overused or strained which I think tends to be in bay area, they might take some action, or perhaps not. I dont know.

In some places like they are trying to sell the excess energy where power plant is operating only fraction of percentage, thye probably not even going to care or even encourage. That seems to be the case with certain Canadian hydro power regions.

I do see your point.  In CA for instance, you're already paying an astronomical rate per kwh compared to most other areas of North America.  Someone posted on here in the past few days that was in CA and their high usage rate is over 0.30 kwh.  I think it was 0.36.  And what they considered high usage really didn't seem that high to me.

ggbtctalk000 (OP)

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 01:35:48 AM

My condo unit is all amped up and more than I am concerned about blowing the circuitry. Based on calculation, if I rent low end 1bdrom or studio, I can put a several miners and still comes out with gain albeit less. Whatchu think?  Tongue

You shouldn't be concerned about tripping breakers.  You should be operating at 80% of your capacity, so you don't have to worry about those things.

You didn't provide any numbers, whatsoever.  How could anyone tell you if what you're thinking is a good idea or a bad idea with 0 as the number?

0=GREAT IDEA ... 0=HORRIBLE IDEA ... Without the variables, no one can calculate and provide an opinion.

80% is below the max but still sounds scary, considering this factors:
- It is older building, you dont know what is behind the wall whether wires get frayed or part of it get rubbed and or disconnected which will bring the strain and heat onto remaining.
- Currently no knowledge of how electrical system is built.
- It is running 24hrs and away from home for several days frequently so if anything heats up for any reason, it is huge risk: wires moved and caused GPU or CPU fan to get tangled causing overheat. Overheated wires that are unattended. Earthquake (yes common as hell in where I live) that can shake things around and tip over miner. Althought this can be a meditated somehow by running crontasks to reboot and interrupt and delay mining so that anything that overheat has a chance of cool down.
- Any flame or wire that is resultant can take few minutes to spread and damage is irreversible and life-altering.

I would go far below the limit since I am away from home from time to time and no body is around the home.
gotminer

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 01:45:40 AM

I operate lower than 80% capacity, but I consider 80% my max for continuous usage.  Any electrician in the United States is going to tell you not to operate at more than 80% capacity of your circuit continuously.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: