Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:03:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Report on the Bitcoin Foundation's Trip to Washington D.C.  (Read 13036 times)
balanghai

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 02:44:59 AM

Well this could be a start and also US is way behind germany. They are late also in receiving additional revenue.  Roll Eyes

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xcsler

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 02:54:19 AM

Did the Foundation convey to the agencies of Bitcoin's existential threat to fiat currencies?
Do they understand what the implications to governments would be if a significant portion of all commerce was done using bitcoins as opposed to the USD?

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2013, 03:01:21 AM

I didn't even read post #2, going straight to The Bitcoin Foundation site and finally signing up and becoming a member. Doling out ~$25 USD is the least I could do for their efforts yesterday and probably today.

Yes, I've read concerns about the org., but put that aside, though still not sure what to believe, I felt it important to support them now.

Now, I only owe Josh $175.00 USD.  Grin

EDIT: I just refreshed the page on their site, and was asked if I wanted to UPGRADE my account. To what? A Monarch?  Grin
Digigami

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 03:18:14 AM

Try accomplishing that without a The Bitcoin Foundation.

+1(+) for The Bitcoin Foundation.

I guess it's time for me to become a member and support them.

Agree big time.. I've had mixed feelings about The Bitcoin Foundation from the start, but this event has warmed me to the idea considerably. The first public interactions between government agencies and TBF has clearly proven they will be considered the first voice taken seriously from this community and it sounds as though they did well with the informational meet and greet.. Lets hope that now when the people in the meeting think of the Bitcoin ecosystem they can better see the creativity and innovation we have to offer, rather the image of silk road junkies, scammers and cheats.

I know we don't all feel the same, but I always knew for Bitcoin to move forward we have to play ball, and we have to convince these guys to play ball too. The first steps are underway and I'm happy TBF is leading the way.

That all asside, MSantori a follow up to the question of who hosted the meeting.. Was it FinCEN who contacted TBF and invited you guys to their planned shindig? Or did TBF initiate dialogue with FinCEN which resulted in the meeting?

I can only guess that it may have come as a result of TBF inquiring for clarification on FinCEN's published guidance. I think it would be interesting if FinCEN had instead reached out to TBF though, I would take that as the government intending on making some decisions sooner rather then later and also giving TBF legitimacy as the community's representation if FinCEN chose to pick up the phone and call them first.
Ego

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 04:11:01 AM

Thanks for the update, it will be very interesting to see how things progress over the next few months.. years even
HeliKopterBen

Activity: 622
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 04:15:25 AM

I would consider joining TBF if the meeting with regulators was recorded.  Just like bitcoin, I need proof of what happened.  Maybe you guys can lobby for recording future meetings on video.  There is no reason for the government to be private about this.  After all, we the taxpayer pay their salaries.

Counterfeit:  made in imitation of something else with intent to deceive:  merriam-webster
abbyd

Activity: 159

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 04:31:05 AM

What regulatory and enforcement methodologies did you endorse?

+1

In the spirit of open dialogue, could you please make available any documents from the presentations?
charleshoskinson
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2013, 05:07:52 AM

I guess it's time for me to become a member and support them.

Phinnaeus Gage, I'd love to have you on the foundation's education committee. Much has changed since Matonis took over and it's for the better. Send me a PM.

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 05:35:47 AM

Did the Foundation convey to the agencies of Bitcoin's existential threat to fiat currencies?
Do they understand what the implications to governments would be if a significant portion of all commerce was done using bitcoins as opposed to the USD?

It is disinformation that governments would suffer in a Bitcoin economy.

Governments will still raise tax revenue but the emphasis would move from income tax to asset and sales taxes. They would have to live within their means, but this will actually benefit them in the long run. Governments that live perpetually beyond their means eventually undergo systemic failure. There are countless examples. In Western countries it is a bloated welfare/entitlement state and participation in non-defense wars of choice which wreck government finances. Without printable fiat the electorate would fully understand that governments could only offer welfare which is affordable and participate in wars which are truly matters of defense.

NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2013, 06:03:49 AM

It is disinformation that governments would suffer in a Bitcoin economy.

Governments will still raise tax revenue but the emphasis would move from income tax to asset and sales taxes. They would have to live within their means, but this will actually benefit them in the long run. Governments that live perpetually beyond their means eventually undergo systemic failure. There are countless examples. In Western countries it is a bloated welfare/entitlement state and participation in non-defense wars of choice which wreck government finances. Without printable fiat the electorate would fully understand that governments could only offer welfare which is affordable and participate in wars which are truly matters of defense.

Government transparency, responsibility and simpler accounting could be among the early benefits.  Once they get it, they may like it for the right reasons even if they don't like it for the ways it isn't broken.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
Polvos

Activity: 597
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 06:18:51 AM

We, the bitcoin users,  don't need the bitcoin foundation to represent us. We have no faces. If any user, US government included, has any problem using Bitcoin, we can help him in the bitcointalk forum. But nearly all the questions a government could have about Bitcoin are very well explained in satoshi's paper and the source code. The only words the foundation had to say in that meeting: read the paper and the code as all of we did, it's all explained there.

Nagle
Legendary

Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2013, 06:22:04 AM

In attendance were high-level representatives from FinCEN, IRS, FDIC, Federal Reserve, OCC, FBI, DEA, Secret Service, Department of Homeland Security and more.
What about the SEC? They're the regulatory agency for brokers and exchanges.

If Bitcoin were a commodity or currency you could trade on major exchanges, we could get rid of all those clowns trying to run Bitcoin exchanges.
minimalB
Donator

Activity: 674
Merit: 522

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 06:56:15 AM

Thanks for the update, i expect a lot of new stuff coming out because of this meeting.
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 08:35:00 AM

We could use some additional transparency. What were the "tough questions" and the "tough answers"?

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2013, 09:14:19 AM

We could use some additional transparency. What were the "tough questions" and the "tough answers"?

Them: Okay, which one of you guys is Satoshi Nakamoto?

Representing Us: As I said to one of your colleagues in the hall, Satoshi Nakamoto is clearly one of you guys. That said, here's a list of demands to keep our mouths shut.

Patrick Murck: <covers mike> I think you played that card too early.

Representing Us: Who said we were playing cards?
NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2013, 10:34:53 AM

In attendance were high-level representatives from FinCEN, IRS, FDIC, Federal Reserve, OCC, FBI, DEA, Secret Service, Department of Homeland Security and more.
What about the SEC? They're the regulatory agency for brokers and exchanges.

If Bitcoin were a commodity or currency you could trade on major exchanges, we could get rid of all those clowns trying to run Bitcoin exchanges.

Bitcoin is both, but calling it by those names isn't going to get it listed on Forex.  That usually takes some major banks with an interest in trading in it.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
leemar

Activity: 193

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 11:08:35 AM

To me joining the foundation was a no brainer in terms of support for  the ecosystem, but I suppose it  depends on whether you have an ideological axe to grind.
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 11:10:50 AM

Agreed, some more info for the community would be best.  Can you guys provide your slide decks for viewing?  This does involve everyone, Bitcoin Foundation member or not.

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
bradford

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 01:16:15 PM

Thanks for the update on the DC trip - glad that the important work is being done, congratulations to Marco and company. Proud to be a Foundation member.
tgerring

Activity: 142

Hive/Ethereum

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2013, 01:28:30 PM

toughest questions and response? if you are allowed to disclose

Why wouldn't he be allowed to disclose a meeting with public officials?

BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

You must be new to US government--where everything happens behind closed doors. "Democracy" we are not.

Hive, a beautiful wallet for Mac OS X, now available for testing. Follow the story here.
BitcoinKit.framework and Tor.framework, now available to iOS and Mac OS X developers
Tweeting at @hivewallet. Donations appreciated at 142m1MpXHhymF4aASiWwYohe1Y55v5BQwc
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: