Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:02:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What charities are worth donating to?  (Read 2954 times)
Lynzoi (OP)

Activity: 58
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 07:06:26 PM

I've been looking into charities lately. I'm reluctant to simply donate money to the poor. I'm afraid they will consume it, lose incentive to work, and remain poor forever. I'm interested in organizations that strive to free people from poverty.

I like the Grameen Bank. I read the book written by the founder a few years ago. I was impressed by it. This organization gives out business loans to groups of extremely poor people, and uses peer pressure to make them work to pay the loan back. Then the poor receive more loans and are able to support themselves just as anyone else would.

I also like the NewSchools Venture Fund. They fund education entrepreneurs who do things such as start charter schools in poor communities. I absolutely hate the American public school system, anything that gives children more options is good.

I donated 1 btc to Wikileaks, but that was more out of convenience than anything. I don't know a great deal about Wikileaks, but I think the less secret the world's secret torture camps are, the better.

I know I focused on poverty here, but feel free to talk about any charity you think is worth consideration. Cancer charities, abused kitten charities, whatever.

1HX4zSn3yQpVH3v9Sv5TNwMqbfXoBbMuNf

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 05:00:15 AM

I've been looking into charities lately. I'm reluctant to simply donate money to the poor. I'm afraid they will consume it, lose incentive to work, and remain poor forever. I'm interested in organizations that strive to free people from poverty.

I like the Grameen Bank. I read the book written by the founder a few years ago. I was impressed by it. This organization gives out business loans to groups of extremely poor people, and uses peer pressure to make them work to pay the loan back. Then the poor receive more loans and are able to support themselves just as anyone else would.

I also like the NewSchools Venture Fund. They fund education entrepreneurs who do things such as start charter schools in poor communities. I absolutely hate the American public school system, anything that gives children more options is good.

I donated 1 btc to Wikileaks, but that was more out of convenience than anything. I don't know a great deal about Wikileaks, but I think the less secret the world's secret torture camps are, the better.

I know I focused on poverty here, but feel free to talk about any charity you think is worth consideration. Cancer charities, abused kitten charities, whatever.

First off, good thread.

I agree with hating the American public school system, although for me any variant of the Prussian school model is unacceptable. I'll have to look into this New Schools Venture, but personally I'm a big advocate of homeschooling (although I understand most families lack a parent with the free time for it.)

Wikileaks is a good idea, but I'm not sure how much I trust them. A few BTC is probably not a bad idea.

The Grameen bank sounds good, and I've heard people applauding the various micro-loan sites out there... but I'm uncomfortable helping people out through loans. I think it's better than just giving them money, but I also agree with the principle that "the borrower is servant to the lender." So that's out for me.

Nowadays I refuse to give to cancer charities; I'm really inclined to not give to any "let's cure X" medical charities anymore. As much government involvement that exists in healthcare, and with the suppressive activities of the pharmaceutical industry, I'm pretty much convinced the billions spent on cancer research and the like has been a waste, that the cures are either known or require outside-the-box approaches, and that these charities ultimately have very little incentive to solve the problems.

So what TO give to? Hmmm...

I usually give to the food pantry at the churches I've attended, and have seen folks benefit from those.

I'm somewhat into liberty-oriented "charities" right now. Things like the Civil Disobedience Evolution Fund, Orlando Cop Block, etc.

Thinking about it though, lately I've just done a lot of end-runs around actual organized charities. I'm trying to be more interactive with my local community, and have found myself trying to address local needs for people I know personally. Sometimes just a timely gift can go far for someone. I've known of folks who, say, had a kid who wanted to go to a sports camp, but they couldn't afford it, and have anonymously donated money for it. At one of our local city food festivals, which helps to raise money for local churches and charities, I target the ones I like (like a soup kitchen) and often leave a donation as well. I've also given time to a few local activities, both church-related and other.

Anyone else with any thoughts as to what organized charities are worthwhile?

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 05:10:13 AM

Somebody posted a private college a while back, but I can't find it... It accepts donations.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
KenJackson

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 11:44:20 AM

You're talking about donating bitcoins? 

It makes no sense to me to donate bitcoins to tax-exempt organizations in the US if you want to claim the tax deduction.  If anything, using bitcoins will make that more difficult.

I'm excited about the bitcoin economy in general, but this is one area that just doesn't make sense to me.
amincd

Activity: 772
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 01:35:21 PM

I think the best charity you can provide is to donate to a politician that supports a form of government that is good for economic development, like a government that doesn't impose minimum wage.
Lynzoi (OP)

Activity: 58

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 02:10:00 PM

I never said I was donating Bitcoins. Just money. I guess it might be implied because this is a Bitcoin forum, but this isn't the Bitcoin section of the Bitcoin forum...

1HX4zSn3yQpVH3v9Sv5TNwMqbfXoBbMuNf
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 02:27:49 PM

You might be interested in GiveWell, a site providing analysis of different charities.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
bjorn

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 05:27:04 PM

I'm involved with Books to Prisoners (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Books_to_Prisoners). Some people are in prison for very stupid reasons. There might be a branch near you (if you're in North America).
whenhowwho

Activity: 96

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 05:32:44 PM

Unfortunately  many charities especially large ones are terribly inefficient and bloated. This causes about 70% to 85% of donations to be used for things such as administration, advertising, salaries and other things. This leaves very little to be used for the actual goal of the charity.

So that being said my answer is none. What I have done in the past when i happen to feel generous is to be directly involved in something. Sponsoring youth events or something of the like.

1HUy7T9SyNLTJCVX3p8KzftApYdWgcsRqD
epi 1:10,000

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 07:41:02 PM

http://opensourceecology.org/

http://www.ted.com/talks/marcin_jakubowski.html

they accept bitcoin.
BenRayfield

Activity: 316
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 12:52:22 AM

You might be interested in GiveWell, a site providing analysis of different charities.

They say their top rated charities save an average of 1 Human life per $1000. You're not going to find a much better price.

Most people hate the idea of putting a price on Human life, and by refusing to think about it, they let billions of people die when they could have been saved by small amounts of money per person.

TheGer

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 03:03:58 AM

Donate locally or get involved using your own funds to help someone get on their feet.  Getting involved will give you much more satisfaction than throwing money at it.  That, and most conventional Charities are corrupt money funnels to the Globalists.  Red Cross and the like, oh and anything to do with Cancer research.

RandyFolds

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 03:36:15 AM

Operation USA is a HUGE low-overhead NGO. I was going to a hospital in a really cut-off and poor part of nicaragua and I contacted them about making a donation, and they had me drive to their warehouse, fill up four duffel bags of medication and equipment and bring them with me on my flight because it would be to much work to do it officially. How friggin' cool is that? Customs didn't even jam me up for having a box containing 50,000 tylenol.

They are definitely worth looking into, although I doubt they accept bitcoin...Their lack of overhead and beauracracy means they are often the first capable group in after natural disasters and they do a lot of good with their limited means.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: