Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:18:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: electrum wallet default password  (Read 204 times)
superslot (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 02:51:59 PM

hello ,
 i've just   downloaded and installed     a mac osx   version, i belive is the last one ,from  electrum official web site   of they're WALLET
    i've never been asked to    choose any kind of password. Huh Huh
  now after i 've finally received   a small amount of btc    6 confirmations  for 30$ it took   like 45 minutes !! btw
   i was about to send those  coins   to  another wallet and  it asks  me for a password  that i've never set .
  is there a   default one i  can  use  , that somebody could tell me please  or a way  to set it ?
   i repeat  during installation i never received any  passphrase or   the usual mnemonic or stuff  like this
  thanks guys

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
hatshepsut93
Legendary

Activity: 2926
Merit: 2127

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 03:14:43 PM

Be careful, this sounds very fishy! As I understand you, you have downloaded and installed Electrum, and when you have launched it, you wasn't asked to create a wallet, you have already had "default wallet" file that was opened? If yes, than you might be a victim of malware that creates Electrum folder and default wallet file that will get opened when you install Electrum later. Another option is that you have downloaded a fake client - always make sure that you are downloading from https://electrum.org and verify the signatures of downloaded files before installing them!

I recommend you to check the signatures of the installation files that you have downloaded, get the original wallet if needed, backup your current Electrum folder, then create a new wallet (it will give you a seed and will ask you to setup a password), and after that try to move coins from your current default wallet to your newly created wallet. Try leaving the password field blank when this default wallet asks you for one when you'll try to move your coins.

.BEST.CHANGE..███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
xdrpx

Activity: 616
Merit: 603

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 03:15:10 PM

No, there's no default password. The password is to be set either when creating a new wallet or when restoring a seed to create a wallet. If you can't remember your password, but you remember your seed or have noted it down elsewhere, then you can try restoring from seed.

How to do this:

1) Click on File > New
2) It'll take you to the wallet creation wizard. Select Standard Wallet > Segwit (assuming you mentioned segwit, if it's standard, select standard)
3) Select 'I already have a seed'
4) Type down your seed there
5) This time it'll ask you to input a password, type down a new password. [Ensure that you input a tough password and not this down somewhere in a safe place]
superslot (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 03:29:56 PM

Be careful, this sounds very fishy! As I understand you, you have downloaded and installed Electrum, and when you have launched it, you wasn't asked to create a wallet, you have already had "default wallet" file that was opened? If yes, than you might be a victim of malware that creates Electrum folder and default wallet file that will get opened when you install Electrum later. Another option is that you have downloaded a fake client - always make sure that you are downloading from https://electrum.org and verify the signatures of downloaded files before installing them!

I recommend you to check the signatures of the installation files that you have downloaded, get the original wallet if needed, backup your current Electrum folder, then create a new wallet (it will give you a seed and will ask you to setup a password), and after that try to move coins from your current default wallet to your newly created wallet. Try leaving the password field blank when this default wallet asks you for one when you'll try to move your coins.
   i have downloaded     and installed  this file https://download.electrum.org/3.0.5/electrum-3.0.5.dmg
  it seems pretty sure   is from  the     real source     right?
  but       i have no seed  and no password at all
   and yes the wallet was  there already   maybe  it is some new feature of this  new  version of the  software...?
    but the  problem remains

hatshepsut93
Legendary

Activity: 2926
Merit: 2127

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 03:41:21 PM

i have downloaded     and installed  this file https://download.electrum.org/3.0.5/electrum-3.0.5.dmg
  it seems pretty sure   is from  the     real source     right?
  but       i have no seed  and no password at all
   and yes the wallet was  there already   maybe  it is some new feature of this  new  version of the  software...?
    but the  problem remains

The only way to be sure that it's the real file is to verify that it was signed by the developer. Here's a guide how to do this on Mac: https://bitzuma.com/posts/how-to-verify-an-electrum-download-on-mac/

If the file was already there before you have installed Electrum, and you have never used Electrum before, then there's a good chance that some malware has created that wallet file, hoping that you would use it when you install Electrum - it's a well-known attack.

.BEST.CHANGE..███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
HCP
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 4315

<insert witty quote here>

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 06:30:19 AM

If you have ever used Electrum before, when you uninstalled it, it will NOT have deleted the wallet file. This is a security measure to prevent accidental removal of your wallet file if the application is accidentally uninstalled.

What this means is that if you install Electrum at a later date, it will automatically find your old wallet and use that. Additionally, older wallets didn't encrypt the wallet file (only the keys inside the wallet file), so they don't prompt for a password when you first attempt to open the file... They only require a password when sending or wanting to see the seed or use private keys for signing messages etc.

Do you remember using Electrum previously? If so, any chance you can remember what your password might have been? Or possibly remember writing down a 12 word seed and have that stored somewhere?

If not, getting access to those coins will be very problematic Undecided You may have to resort to trying to crack the password with btcrecover (https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover)

..JAMBLER.io..Create Your Bitcoin Mixing
Business Now for   F R E E 
▄█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████▀████████████████████
███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
██▀█████▄█▄██████████████
██▄▄████▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
███████▀▄█▀█▄██▀█▄███████
█████████▄█▀▄█▀▄█████████