Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 09:55:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] [PRE ICO LIVE] CellBlocks: An Economy for Inmates in the Prison System  (Read 4477 times)
thinklab71
Copper Member

Activity: 183
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 07:33:10 PM

Its pretty simple if you ask me.  Its in their presentation doc.  I work in the prison system and I totally see the savings. I guess you have to understand the system to get it.  But what they claim in the following statement is a true statement.

See the costs and compare the fees associated with sending $50.00.

JPay $6.95
Access Corrections $6.95
CellBlocks $0.24

What does all this mean? At the current rates, CellBlocks can send an
average of $6.71 per transaction back to the state if CellBlocks is set
up to charge the same fee per transaction. With an average of 5,000
monthly transactions from third-party vendors, this can give the state
revenue to the tune of $34,750 per month on average.

Furthermore, this fee structure will be built into the tokens’ smart
contracts and paid to the state in real time.
vascrs11

Activity: 504
Merit: 106

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 09:59:22 PM

I think the project has an original idea and the team has done a lot of research, I have a question though. What will be the usage of the token for your investors?
cellblocks (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 112
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 07:12:15 AM

Great question vascrs11,

There is no real usage for people who are not in prison except appreciation.   This is a unique thing, with over 1400 tokens out there all in one way or another has a general use for the normal person, this token could corner the market for the prison system.  We are the only token to go after a 2 million person market.

The prison system will not have a need for 3-4 or even 5 tokens, only one is enough.  So as CellBlocks starts going from state to state, it will truly change the way payments are done in the prison system.  This is a revolutionary change for the prison system.

As more and more prisons start accepting CellBlocks, the value of the token should be noticed.  

I think the project has an original idea and the team has done a lot of research, I have a question though. What will be the usage of the token for your investors?
Sword555

Activity: 619
Merit: 251

WPP ENERGY - BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 09:05:15 PM

Having a more open and honest financial system within our prisons would be a great way to begin reforming the prison system. I think this is a pretty great idea if you can get enough of them on board. Do you guys have a background in corrections, or you just saw an opportunity from the tech perspective?
joblessminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 09:17:50 PM

I am just learning about this project and I think it is an extremely unique idea that could solve real-world problems. I'm glad to see someone is tackling the hidden fees associated with deposits/transfers to inmate financial accounts. That is costing families (who may likely be in poverty) a considerable amount of money. What will the fees be for Cellblocks transfers?
GoBelle

Activity: 512

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 09:38:15 PM

I see that Q3 there will be inmate apps and interfaces that will undergo development. Could you explain what these apps/interfaces are?
cellblocks (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 09:41:20 PM

My family is full of correctional officers.   You can say it's the the bloodline.  They are in Most are in California and some are in Florida.  One of my uncles was over having pizza and beer one day and we were talking about bitcoin and he said it would be cool if there was a token for inmates and bingo.  The rest of the night I was like, yea, that would be cool haha

Having a more open and honest financial system within our prisons would be a great way to begin reforming the prison system. I think this is a pretty great idea if you can get enough of them on board. Do you guys have a background in corrections, or you just saw an opportunity from the tech perspective?
celestio

Activity: 770
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 09:43:25 PM

Will there be any way for inmates to earn cellblocks tokens? I think giving them opportunities to earn tokens could be really cool, but I'm not sure if that is an option.

"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime" - Satoshi Nakamoto, June 17, 2010
cellblocks (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 09:44:33 PM

From inmate to inmate transfers, it will be right around .5% and that fee will go directly to the state.   When meeting with the Department of corrections last week, they seen how much money they could make.  Basically, they could circulate tokens to inmates who choose to accept them and pay much less out in cash to the inmates.  Remember, on average an inmate makes .10 to .15 an hour.

I am just learning about this project and I think it is an extremely unique idea that could solve real-world problems. I'm glad to see someone is tackling the hidden fees associated with deposits/transfers to inmate financial accounts. That is costing families (who may likely be in poverty) a considerable amount of money. What will the fees be for Cellblocks transfers?
cellblocks (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 09:46:49 PM

As the director of prisons said, if the basic program goes well they would like to see it implemented with the commissary system in the prison.  As well as the phone system.   There are a lot of builds will would need to do in order to work with each service. 
I see that Q3 there will be inmate apps and interfaces that will undergo development. Could you explain what these apps/interfaces are?
cellblocks (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 09:48:15 PM

We have told the Department of Corrections, we will give them tokens to disburse within the pilot prison as they see fit.  How they will do this is still up in the air. 
Will there be any way for inmates to earn cellblocks tokens? I think giving them opportunities to earn tokens could be really cool, but I'm not sure if that is an option.
bananafana

Activity: 378
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 09:53:27 PM

How much interest from prisons has CellBlocks received? It seems like a really interesting idea to me, but adoption is key. Are prisons seeming open to this idea?
cellblocks (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 10:22:04 PM

We have sent out a few letters to prisons and got letters back saying they were interested in the idea.  We posted them on the site. We we're also asked to do a presentation to the State dept. 

How much interest from prisons has CellBlocks received? It seems like a really interesting idea to me, but adoption is key. Are prisons seeming open to this idea?
joblessminer

Activity: 644

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 04:28:56 PM

From inmate to inmate transfers, it will be right around .5% and that fee will go directly to the state.   When meeting with the Department of corrections last week, they seen how much money they could make.  Basically, they could circulate tokens to inmates who choose to accept them and pay much less out in cash to the inmates.  Remember, on average an inmate makes .10 to .15 an hour.

.5% is very affordable and sending it to the state is a great use of the funds. I think this is an excellent idea and I'm glad to see you guys are working with the Department of Corrections on this. It sounds like Cellblocks has a really promising future.  Cheesy
bananafana

Activity: 378
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 04:54:44 PM

We have sent out a few letters to prisons and got letters back saying they were interested in the idea.  We posted them on the site. We we're also asked to do a presentation to the State dept. 

I am pleased to see that your team is reaching out and actively getting the word out. It is also good that you are getting responses. That speaks volumes. I think this will go a long way in the adoption of Cellblocks.

Does your team have a Github available to the public yet? If so, can I get a link?

celestio

Activity: 770

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 05:20:00 PM

We have told the Department of Corrections, we will give them tokens to disburse within the pilot prison as they see fit.  How they will do this is still up in the air. 

It's good to leave that option open to them. It would be cool if they chose to do that. The more I learn about this project, the better it sounds. It's a really good idea.

How many people work on the team?

"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime" - Satoshi Nakamoto, June 17, 2010
GoBelle

Activity: 512

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 05:29:58 PM

As the director of prisons said, if the basic program goes well they would like to see it implemented with the commissary system in the prison.  As well as the phone system.   There are a lot of builds will would need to do in order to work with each service.  

Thanks for your reply. That makes more sense and that type of interface does seem necessary for the system to work properly as a whole. Otherwise, how would tokens be used.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the biggest challenge you see ahead for your team?
Dofus

Activity: 399

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 05:35:52 PM

I see that the team has finalized a deal for kiosks. That's a big step, so good job! This project seems to have a real need and a team that is working hard to achieve the goals.

Do you guys have a list of partners so far that you can share?
chenjl84

Activity: 196
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 03:06:42 AM

The audience is the people in prison. The idea of the team is very interesting and creative, but I really support your idea that everyone should enjoy the services brought by the block chain.
JungleOnion

Activity: 868
Merit: 279

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2018, 03:12:49 AM

This project at first glance sounds very difficult to achieve at first glance, but reading how committed the team is, it might actually be something to look out for. Nevertheless, what are the chances or posibilites of prisons in the USA to start accepting CellBlocks before any other major cryptocurrency if at all accepting one?
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  

Jump to: