Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:55:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Selling USB miners on ebay  (Read 1239 times)
ruggedman_dan (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1012
Merit: 1000

We on P. Sherman 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 09:42:26 PM

Whats the deal with this? Are people actually paying or just winning the auctions and backing out?

Also how is Paypal reacting to this? I thought they had an anti-mining equipment policy or something like that at one point.

Just curious because I see USB miners getting a lot of looks and bids lately and I want to hear from someone who is actually selling (or even buying) on ebay right now.

Any insight appreciated.
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2013, 09:46:37 PM

I see it and think to myself hmm - if i could sell a knc mercury in hand for like 5k would I?Huh (if I were to drop it right back into btc...then yes i would)

SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 09:49:59 PM

Ebay has an anti Bitcoin policy, however selling mining equipment is fine. Paypal's main thing against BTC is that it isn't tangible, meaning its incredibly hard to confirm that the transaction between paypal and BTC has been carried out, so they just ban BTC related deals rather than figure out a new way on how to handle Bitcoin trades. However, buying Bitcoin mining equipment is no different than buying GPU's or other computer parts on Ebay. Its a tangible thing that can be proved to have been sent, and recieved, etc. However, there are still scammers out there and whatnaught.
Bitweasil

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 10:00:39 PM

Also how is Paypal reacting to this? I thought they had an anti-mining equipment policy or something like that at one point.

They make life irritatingly difficult for those selling mining hardware, but it's allowed as you're shipping physical hardware.  In the past, I had to send them photos of my stock and provide invoices for where I obtained said stock to satisfy them that, yes, I was actually doing what I said I was and shipping physical widgets that I had in my possession to people who were happily leaving very good feedback.  They pretty much did admit I was getting a bitcoin related shakedown, though.  "There's a lot of scamming in this area, and people selling preorders that they don't have, and other stuff going on..."

But it's quite allowed.  And people usually pay.  I only had a few fraudulent orders, all of which were blocked by PayPal or eBay before I shipped.  I had no trouble with it.

Need high quality, rack mountable GPU clusters for OpenCL work or password auditing?  http://www.stricture-group.com/
Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 12:50:49 AM

i've bought almost all my miners on ebay. I pay a premium, to use USD i guess.
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 01:06:40 AM

Hows the quality? Resale or heavily mined onnn? what

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
WuLabsWuTecH

Activity: 252

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 01:15:21 AM

They make life irritatingly difficult for those selling mining hardware, but it's allowed as you're shipping physical hardware.  In the past, I had to send them photos of my stock and provide invoices for where I obtained said stock to satisfy them that, yes, I was actually doing what I said I was and shipping physical widgets that I had in my possession to people who were happily leaving very good feedback.  They pretty much did admit I was getting a bitcoin related shakedown, though.  "There's a lot of scamming in this area, and people selling preorders that they don't have, and other stuff going on..."

But it's quite allowed.  And people usually pay.  I only had a few fraudulent orders, all of which were blocked by PayPal or eBay before I shipped.  I had no trouble with it.

I have had no problem with it, but my understanding is the crackdown is only on those who are selling pre-orders.  I have a same-day handling time for all of my orders and have never had an issue with eBay.

As far as PayPal, I have some payments blocked by PayPal, but that doesn't cost me anything if PP refuses it for being fraudulent.  If the buyers offers an alternate form of payment (I take USPS money order), then I will ship after payment clears.

You might be interested in this then: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=284021.0

Buying with eBay costs us sellers 15% (10% for eBay and 5% for paypal).  If you buy with paypal directly on the forums, you only pay a 5% premium but get the same protection (no SNAD protection, but you do get INR which should be sufficient for new items).  And since I screwed myself over this weekend (Read the thread for details) I'm actually eating even that 5% fee right now.  PM me if you are interested!

Look at the listing info.  For example, all of mine are new and have been tested for a min of 12 hours (sometimes 24 if I don't have a lot of stock to go through and can afford the slower testing times).  There are some that are heavily mined on, but if those were cooled properly, there shouldn't be an issue.  Unfortunately the only way you know if they were cooled properly is if you believe the seller so seller reputation becomes very important here.  Do you trust them?  And if so, do you think they know how to cool properly?
Trongersoll

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 01:17:36 AM

Mostly new or mined on for a short time. I buy USB erupters and a couple of old type Blades. the blades are brand new. i got scammed once, and ebay got my money back.
Trongersoll

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 01:23:16 AM

I have had no problem with it, but my understanding is the crackdown is only on those who are selling pre-orders.  I have a same-day handling time for all of my orders and have never had an issue with eBay.

As far as PayPal, I have some payments blocked by PayPal, but that doesn't cost me anything if PP refuses it for being fraudulent.  If the buyers offers an alternate form of payment (I take USPS money order), then I will ship after payment clears.

You might be interested in this then: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=284021.0

Buying with eBay costs us sellers 15% (10% for eBay and 5% for paypal).  If you buy with paypal directly on the forums, you only pay a 5% premium but get the same protection (no SNAD protection, but you do get INR which should be sufficient for new items).  And since I screwed myself over this weekend (Read the thread for details) I'm actually eating even that 5% fee right now.  PM me if you are interested!

Look at the listing info.  For example, all of mine are new and have been tested for a min of 12 hours (sometimes 24 if I don't have a lot of stock to go through and can afford the slower testing times).  There are some that are heavily mined on, but if those were cooled properly, there shouldn't be an issue.  Unfortunately the only way you know if they were cooled properly is if you believe the seller so seller reputation becomes very important here.  Do you trust them?  And if so, do you think they know how to cool properly?

Sorry Wu i spent my allowance for the next couple of weeks today.
WuLabsWuTecH

Activity: 252

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 02:00:54 AM

Sorry Wu i spent my allowance for the next couple of weeks today.

Poor timing!  I'm only about halfway to where I need to be for next week.  At least I get an extra day because of the holiday.  And I learned a lesson to check the quantity numbers very closely!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: