Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:17:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My friend has a transaction that is stuck  (Read 1017 times)
minarchist (OP)

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 08:42:27 AM

She sent her entire balance from her blockchain.info wallet to an offline address.  She sent this balance without including a fee, and the transaction has been unconfirmed for a few hours.  I told her that I recalled reading here that simply importing the private key of the sending to a new wallet should work, but this does not work when I try importing to a new blockchain.info wallet.  I assume that this is because of the way that blockchain.info is set up, and that if I help her find some other online wallet service that allows for importation of private keys, that I can tell her to simply import the private key of the sending address there and then resend (this time with a fee, of course).  I distinctly remember that bitcoin is never lost in limbo, and if miners never take your transaction, that you always have the option of importing the sending address private key (albeit somewhere other than blockchain.info, apprently).  Any help is veyr much appreciated.   

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 08:54:11 AM

She sent her entire balance from her blockchain.info wallet to an offline address.  She sent this balance without including a fee, and the transaction has been unconfirmed for a few hours.  I told her that I recalled reading here that simply importing the private key of the sending to a new wallet should work, but this does not work when I try importing to a new blockchain.info wallet.  I assume that this is because of the way that blockchain.info is set up, and that if I help her find some other online wallet service that allows for importation of private keys, that I can tell her to simply import the private key of the sending address there and then resend (this time with a fee, of course).  I distinctly remember that bitcoin is never lost in limbo, and if miners never take your transaction, that you always have the option of importing the sending address private key (albeit somewhere other than blockchain.info, apprently).  Any help is veyr much appreciated.   

Sent her entire balance ..... without including a fee? Who suggested she do that? Of course its been unconfirmed for a few hours.

Next time include a fee, and support the people that do the work to validate transactions.
minarchist (OP)

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 09:04:41 AM

She's a newbie and apparently her settings were such that she was not prompted to decrease the balance by 0.0005.  I have found some threads on this subject where posters state that the transaction will eventually time out if sent through the blockchain.info wallet with the amount being redisplayed at the sending address.  Is this true?
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 09:28:02 AM

She's a newbie and apparently her settings were such that she was not prompted to decrease the balance by 0.0005 0.0001

I have found some threads on this subject where posters state that the transaction will eventually time out if sent through the blockchain.info wallet with the amount being redisplayed at the sending address.  Is this true?
Likely
Or it will get included

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1299

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 01:11:53 PM

Make sure she doesn't panic and give it some time. The odds are extremely good it will be included in a reasonable amount of time.

At worst you can do as suggested eventually and import into a different wallet.

jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 01:23:03 PM

Make sure she doesn't panic and give it some time.
This
Whatever happens the funds are not lost

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
minarchist (OP)

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 03:50:57 PM

Will blockchain.info eventually let her import the balance from the sending address into another blockchain.info wallet (which so far yields a zero balance), or will she have to find another online wallet that allows importing of private keys?
BombaUcigasa
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 04:14:49 PM

Get the txnid and check blochain.info. It will give you a nice estimation and possible reason if any, for invalidity.
minarchist (OP)

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 04:33:59 PM

The transaction has now gone through.  Thank you for your help everyone.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: