Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:06:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining crash coming soon?  (Read 790 times)
VegasJeff (OP)

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 07:24:20 PM

I noticed earlier in the month on whattomine.com a 1080 TI would generate about $10 per day. The last week was about $5 per day and I see it says $4 per day as of today. Do you think a mining crash is coming soon and when?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dennis77

Activity: 20

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 07:28:22 PM

This is not an Mining Crash, it is an Crypto Crash.. Most Coins go down massive since Weeks this is what you see on Whattomine...
Digital Drug Lord

Activity: 294
Merit: 12

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 07:34:39 PM

I noticed earlier in the month on whattomine.com a 1080 TI would generate about $10 per day. The last week was about $5 per day and I see it says $4 per day as of today. Do you think a mining crash is coming soon and when?

My 1070 struggle to make $3 a day

They want $999 for a 1070

Something is wrong. Something is very wrong
tinfoilMining

Activity: 28

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 07:39:08 PM

GPU mining crash - Only if crypto prices collapse, or some company manages to create a profitable eth/equi ASIC.
Other than that I don't think there is enough GPU production to cause a collapse. Also if the crypto prices continue to fall, then more and more miners will sell their GPUs to gamers and invest directly in crypto instead.

ASIC mining however may collapse, unless coin values rise. More and more ASICs are sold and miners will continue to mine all the way till they starting losing money on power, and still the people with free electricty will continue to mine until their asic breaks. The Real mining DOOM  Grin
Rath_
aka BitCryptex
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 3131

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 07:46:12 PM

The same thing happened a few month ago when Bitcoin popularity had increased. I wouldn't worry much about, people who bought their mining equipment a few months ago, have already started to profit. However, I wouldn't recommend investing in GPU mining because people and shops are selling cards for far more than there are supposed to. Also, the price of Bitcoin has decreased a lot in the last couple of weeks.
YeOldeMiner

Activity: 19

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 08:47:38 PM

I wouldn't be too worried now, the impact at this point is on GPU prices in relation to profitability. I've recently begun mining and this is the key factor for me, price will fluctuate across the market but the GPU/build prices are affecting entry to mining and length of time for a ROI.
treanski

Activity: 364
Merit: 106

ONe Social Network.

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 08:56:27 PM

GPU Mining will die in 2018
GPU Mining will die in 2019
GPU Mining will die in 2020
GPU Mining will die in 2021
GPU Mining will die in 2022

Bitcoin dies at least 20 times/year

Juggar

Activity: 242
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 09:02:17 PM

Dude......

NO MAJOR RETAILER IS SELLING A 1070 FOR ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS.

RESELLERS DONT COUNT!!!

Fucking NEWEGG has a 1080Ti RIGHT NOW for $949.....

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133653&ignorebbr=1
dhouse

Activity: 266
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 09:28:22 PM

bitcoin is like a pokemon car, so it's definietely going to crash Roll Eyes
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 09:29:16 PM

The 1070 may be ridiculously overpriced right now, but like the poster above me said, there are alternatives that make more sense to buy. There's even a 1080 FE in stock on Best buy right now for $589 right now. I can check out with it right now, seems like it is continuously going in and out of stock right now though.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nvidia-founders-edition-geforce-gtx-1080-8gb-gddr5x-pci-express-3-0-graphics-card/5330600.p?skuId=5330600

The point is graphics cards still come back in stock regularly even now. If you've got any patience you'll get what you want.
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 10:50:48 PM

You're numbers are off again.  Retailers are asking around $530 usd for a 1070.  You're probably just confused about who you are really buying from.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
Digital Drug Lord

Merit: 12

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 11:15:00 PM

You're numbers are off again.  Retailers are asking around $530 usd for a 1070.  You're probably just confused about who you are really buying from.

sure just like nvidia has sales all the time, let me tell you I didnt have enough time to put my credit card in before they yanked it out my cart

most places are 900 and up

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487265
gotminer

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 11:17:40 PM

sure just like nvidia has sales all the time, let me tell you I didnt have enough time to put my credit card in before they yanked it out my cart

most places are 900 and up

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487265

That link just proves you are confused about who you are buying from.  That is a reseller on NewEgg.  That is not a link to a gpu being sold by NewEgg.  Guess you missed the part that says ... "Sold and Shipped by: uShopMall".

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 11:29:40 PM

Uninformed people read these clickbait bullshit article about the death of cryptocurrency and believe it to be true. What we are seeing is the prices settling down after a period of unprecedented growth.

For example lets look at ethereum:

11/1/2017 - $305
12/1/2017 - $444
1/1/2018  - $750
1/30/2018 - $1156

This shows crypto is stronger than ever. It also shows how valuable the token has become. When a token rises in price, people start mining it, pushing profitability down as the difficulty rises. This is a normal function of the ecosystem and in no way means there is a problem or a crash about to occur.

Also, if you are using whattomine and chasing profitability day by day, it shows you have no understanding of how to properly mine for future profit. People mining aren't looking to convert their coins the second a payment hits your wallet (if you dont do this the whattomine calculations become increasingly irrelevant after a few hours). You should be mining coins with the intention of keeping them so that you can profit in a large way later on down the road. A shortsighted approach to mining will cause nothing but pain.

E.G. I was mining ETH when it was $8.50 per token. I held onto all of those tokens and now they are worth ~$1100 each.

Mining is a long game, plain and simple. If you fret over it daily you will be miserable and probably not want to continue.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
mediaboy

Activity: 16

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 11:46:52 PM

Uninformed people read these clickbait bullshit article about the death of cryptocurrency and believe it to be true. What we are seeing is the prices settling down after a period of unprecedented growth.

For example lets look at ethereum:

11/1/2017 - $305
12/1/2017 - $444
1/1/2018  - $750
1/30/2018 - $1156

This shows crypto is stronger than ever. It also shows how valuable the token has become. When a token rises in price, people start mining it, pushing profitability down as the difficulty rises. This is a normal function of the ecosystem and in no way means there is a problem or a crash about to occur.

Also, if you are using whattomine and chasing profitability day by day, it shows you have no understanding of how to properly mine for future profit. People mining aren't looking to convert their coins the second a payment hits your wallet (if you dont do this the whattomine calculations become increasingly irrelevant after a few hours). You should be mining coins with the intention of keeping them so that you can profit in a large way later on down the road. A shortsighted approach to mining will cause nothing but pain.

E.G. I was mining ETH when it was $8.50 per token. I held onto all of those tokens and now they are worth ~$1100 each.

Mining is a long game, plain and simple. If you fret over it daily you will be miserable and probably not want to continue.

You have sold nothing along the way? Not saying your hodl philosophy is wrong however i can totally understand why someone would sell what they have mined. The story could end at much lower prices too. Again not saying that will happen but it could happen.
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 11:59:11 PM

You have sold nothing along the way? Not saying your hodl philosophy is wrong however i can totally understand why someone would sell what they have mined. The story could end at much lower prices too. Again not saying that will happen but it could happen.

Not a penny of it. Selling to cover monthly mining expenses is normal, but if you are converting everything to fiat right away you are robbing yourself of so much money. Thats why  Isay if you are selling it all off you are doing it wrong. Always mine for the future.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
Moondoggie

Activity: 392
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 12:02:29 AM

Not a penny of it. Selling to cover monthly mining expenses is normal, but if you are converting everything to fiat right away you are robbing yourself of so much money. Thats why  Isay if you are selling it all off you are doing it wrong. Always mine for the future.

I used to sell everything to fiat too frequently, what a mistake that was. Missed out on so much profit.
Don't make the same mistakes I did!
gotminer

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 12:20:05 AM

That's the way I look at it.  I took some profit when btc was around 15k.  Enough to cover electricity costs for a few months.  Eventually I'll take some profit to cover the cost of my gpu rigs, because at some point I would like to have that back in my savings account in fiat, but for now I'm holding out to see what happens over the next several months.  If we see a huge spike as in double or triple current prices, I'll pull out enough to cover the cost of my mining rigs.

People who use credit cards or borrow fiat from sources that they shouldn't to fund a mining operation or to directly invest in a coin are the ones losing sleep over a bear market and the daily value of their crypto portfolio.  It would piss me off if it all went to zero tomorrow and I lose, but I won't be in debt, because of it, if that were to happen.  

You haven't lost anything until you sell at a loss.

Riptide_NVN

Merit: 16

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 12:32:15 AM

In the US the IRS wants you to pay income tax on everything you mine.  If you turn around and sell to cover expenses you'll be paying capital gains on top of that.  It sucks.  If you can afford to pay your expenses out of pocket and not sell any of your mining proceeds that would be better.  Sell later and pay the lower long term gains tax.
gotminer

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 12:40:20 AM

In the US the IRS wants you to pay income tax on everything you mine.  If you turn around and sell to cover expenses you'll be paying capital gains on top of that.  It sucks.  If you can afford to pay your expenses out of pocket and not sell any of your mining proceeds that would be better.  Sell later and pay the lower long term gains tax.

I'd talk to a CPA if I were you.   

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: