Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:32:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Using stove power outlet for mining?  (Read 674 times)
NeoCapo (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 07:01:00 AM
Last edit: January 31, 2018, 07:36:43 AM by NeoCapo

Hey guys,

I am currently mining some Ethereum with multiple GPU's. I was wondering how to use my 240V 40amp circuit that is dedicated for my oven. I don't really use that circuit and don't want to install or rewire things there. So I suppose I could buy an adapter and run my psu's with a good PDU. I don't want to have the hassle to have multiple rigs on different circuit (15A, 120V) if I could have technically up to 7680 Watts (240V * 40Amp * 0.80%) in only one. Anyone could suggest me some adapter and good pdu to do this? I saw online some people doing the same thing in dryer outlet.

Here is picture of my breaker: https://imgur.com/a/rjStc
Here's pictures of my outlet: https://imgur.com/a/SfcaG
https://imgur.com/a/IHFMU

Thank you very much Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cyberdeity

Activity: 44

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 12:44:35 PM

I'm not an electrician, so proceed at your own risk.  This is just guessing, I've never done it.

Looks like a NEMA 14-50R receptacle which requires a NEMA 14-50P plug
https://i.stack.imgur.com/KBnOi.png

So perhaps something like this will work?
https://www.amazon.com/Milspec-Direct-3-Foot-Welder-Adapter/dp/B00I4YX02E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1517402389&sr=8-2&keywords=nema+14+to
gogostar

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 02:18:18 PM

i used mine oven circuit and it works fine. it is 45amp 240V. i connectet separate mcb board to it (3x16A breakers) and then 2 double sockets for 4 miners.
oven lost the battle and went out of window of course. But i was not using it anyway...
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 05:43:36 PM

Hey guys,

I am currently mining some Ethereum with multiple GPU's. I was wondering how to use my 240V 40amp circuit that is dedicated for my oven. I don't really use that circuit and don't want to install or rewire things there. So I suppose I could buy an adapter and run my psu's with a good PDU. I don't want to have the hassle to have multiple rigs on different circuit (15A, 120V) if I could have technically up to 7680 Watts (240V * 40Amp * 0.80%) in only one. Anyone could suggest me some adapter and good pdu to do this? I saw online some people doing the same thing in dryer outlet.

Here is picture of my breaker: https://imgur.com/a/rjStc
Here's pictures of my outlet: https://imgur.com/a/SfcaG
https://imgur.com/a/IHFMU

Thank you very much Smiley

Yep i've done it. I think i somewhat documented it somewhere but i cba to dig it out. Just make sure the plug is unpullable, it doesn't lock, normally the oven is in the way and that make it secure. You don't want see 35amps@240v arcing.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
NeoCapo (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 10:05:00 PM

Yep i've done it. I think i somewhat documented it somewhere but i cba to dig it out. Just make sure the plug is unpullable, it doesn't lock, normally the oven is in the way and that make it secure. You don't want see 35amps@240v arcing.

Awesome ! Can you tell me which adapter you have used to do this? And what other measure have you done to make it as most secure possible.
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 11:26:51 PM

I would get a 40A 240V PDU.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
therealspidey

Activity: 22

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 11:30:26 PM

I’m an electrician. It’s defintiely doable. Just get the right cord which plugs in to your oven receptacle and then the correct adapters for you PSUs and you should be good.
gotminer

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 11:41:30 PM

I’m an electrician. It’s defintiely doable. Just get the right cord which plugs in to your oven receptacle and then the correct adapters for you PSUs and you should be good.

As in a 40A 240V PDU? 

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
therealspidey

Activity: 22

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 11:43:35 PM

As in a 40A 240V PDU? 

Since I’ve never done it myself, I can only guess yes. The oven plug is 240V 40A so that would make sense. However, I would suggest get an electrician over to double check before flipping on the switch.

You pay for my flight there and I’ll gladly come check it out for you. Cheesy
gotminer

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 11:55:31 PM

As in a 40A 240V PDU? 

Since I’ve never done it myself, I can only guess yes. The oven plug is 240V 40A so that would make sense. However, I would suggest get an electrician over to double check before flipping on the switch.

I'm not the OP.  Just thought you'd know a little more since you're an electrician.  I personally run rigs off of two 30A 240V circuits.  I have a pdu on each of them which provides enough outlets for multiple rigs.  You'll find pdu's in any data center.  You can get metered ones that display the amp draw on each bank and you can even get switched ones that will allow you to turn any of the outlets off and on remotely.  The big thing is that it provides evenly distributed power over all outlets and provides overload protection.

So my question to you since you're an electrician ... The adapter that he linked to above is not going to provide any overload protection, right?  Is there a possibility that he is going to harm his equipment by just using an adapter like that?  I personally would never use something like that for this application.

Amstellodamois

Activity: 182

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 11:59:24 PM

Plus you'll be able to cook a pie or two on the rigs.
gotminer

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 12:03:06 AM

Is he really going to unplug this stove/oven and put mining rigs in his kitchen?  To each their own I suppose ... Lol.  Mining is getting crazy.

eissug

Activity: 64
Merit: 15

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 12:50:26 AM

I'd replace that outlet out of concern.  They shouldn't be painted and who knows if they got paint inside the outlet.  It's sad to see such a nice breaker panel and such bad painting.   Sad  Check the torque on the breaker terminals as well.  Find out what gauge of wire is run and if it is aluminum or copper.  You should also check the temperature of these connections after you have been mining for 2-4 hours.  You could have 6-8ga aluminum which I would not recommend for your load.
NeoCapo (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 01:31:34 AM

As in a 40A 240V PDU? 

I'm not the OP.  Just thought you'd know a little more since you're an electrician.  I personally run rigs off of two 30A 240V circuits.  I have a pdu on each of them which provides enough outlets for multiple rigs.  You'll find pdu's in any data center.  You can get metered ones that display the amp draw on each bank and you can even get switched ones that will allow you to turn any of the outlets off and on remotely.  The big thing is that it provides evenly distributed power over all outlets and provides overload protection.

So my question to you since you're an electrician ... The adapter that he linked to above is not going to provide any overload protection, right?  Is there a possibility that he is going to harm his equipment by just using an adapter like that?  I personally would never use something like that for this application.

That is a great question. I've seen multiple threads with people doing the same with Dryer outlets. Wishing to get more help regarding this Sad
ggbtctalk000

Activity: 394
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 01:37:19 AM

i think you should familiarize with your amperage of each wall connectors. Mine is older condo and it appears all the sets of wall distributed around 2bedroom is controlled by 2 major circuit breaker. One time I tripped the circuit breaker and half of my miner lost power. Using that chance I decided to tinker with the patch panel to found out which switch will enable/disable which electrical items. There are separate breakers for lighting, walls sockets, dryer, kitchnen washer and dryer and I think I identified most of it. And each of them has marking of max amperage.

NeoCapo (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 01:41:25 AM

i think you should familiarize with your amperage of each wall connectors. Mine is older condo and it appears all the sets of wall distributed around 2bedroom is controlled by 2 major circuit breaker. One time I tripped the circuit breaker and half of my miner lost power. Using that chance I decided to tinker with the patch panel to found out which switch will enable/disable which electrical items. There are separate breakers for lighting, walls sockets, dryer, kitchnen washer and dryer and I think I identified most of it. And each of them has marking of max amperage.

I've checked already by running test with the breaker and turning off and on the breakers to see witch rooms/outlets are affected. My basement is very small and the picture I posted shows 40amp 240V for that circuit (witch is used for my stove only).
gotminer

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 02:04:04 AM

I've checked already by running test with the breaker and turning off and on the breakers to see witch rooms/outlets are affected. My basement is very small and the picture I posted shows 40amp 240V for that circuit (witch is used for my stove only).

Certainly don't just buy a "adapter" and use a standard surge protector with it, because the plug fits.  Standard surge protectors are rated at 15A, in the USA at least.  ... You're talking multiple rigs anyway, right?  So you're going to want a PDU.  Spend the money on it, before you blow everything up.

And as we've seen in this very thread ... Electricians don't know everything.

greyday

Activity: 434
Merit: 52

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 02:08:10 AM

Buy a 220V surge protector and 220V cords for your PSUs (assuming they can handle 220V, I've only ever used 220 with Bitmain PSUs, but I assume it's doable). You'll have multiple 220 outlets and up to around 7KW to play with (provided the surge protector can handle that much).
NeoCapo (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 02:11:32 AM

Certainly don't just buy a "adapter" and use a standard surge protector with it, because the plug fits.  Standard surge protectors are rated at 15A, in the USA at least.  ... You're talking multiple rigs anyway, right?  So you're going to want a PDU.  Spend the money on it, before you blow everything up.

And as we've seen in this very thread ... Electricians don't know everything.

I'm planning to buy this adapter : https://www.amazon.ca/Conntek-P1450650-Generator-250-Volt-Adapter/dp/B00SSQIYLU
and a 40 amp PDU to distribute the power and not blow anything up lol
I'll be using around 3500+Watts. I'll talk with an electrician just in case... thanks for your help.
gotminer

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 02:12:03 AM

Buy a 220V surge protector and 220V cords for your PSUs (assuming they can handle 220V, I've only ever used 220 with Bitmain PSUs, but I assume it's doable). You'll have multiple 220 outlets and up to around 7KW to play with (provided the surge protector can handle that much).

OMG, NO!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: