Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 10:38:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ASIC Testing on Scrypt?  (Read 17429 times)
Bitobsessed

Activity: 291
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 02:21:50 AM

Shocked

but really it isn't that surprising. How much GPU mining hardware exists in the world. This guy probably doesn't have 0.5% of the total out there.
It is still quite a bit.  Holy crap I would like to see all that hardware.
SALHERO

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 02:27:49 AM
Last edit: September 02, 2013, 05:54:06 AM by SALHERO

1) It IS an ex BTC miner.
2) Probably not, CPUs are extremely terrible at mining LTC
3) It is, cos he's finding blocks
4) FPGAs are hardly faster than GPUs, even in BTC land.  THey cost just as much if not more, but they take less power to run.  It's their only advantage.

About this, it's possible:

Only needs 5 kh/s per infected PC : 400,000 infected pc * 5 kh/s = 2 000,000 kh/s, and is very secure than more than 100 000 pcs can give more than 5 kh/s Wink
SALHERO

Activity: 112

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 04:17:55 AM

2) Probably not, CPUs are extremely terrible at mining LTC
3) It is, cos he's finding blocks
4) FPGAs are hardly faster than GPUs, even in BTC land.  THey cost just as much if not more, but they take less power to run.  It's their only advantage.

About this, it's possible:

Only needs 5 mh/s per infected PC : 400,000 infected pc * 5 mh/s = 2 000,000 mh/s, and is very secure than more than 100 000 pcs can give more than 5 mh/s Wink

One problem with your logic: There's no way in hell you're going to get 5 MH/s per PC. Even if they're an insanely hardcore gamer, with 4 7970s (or two 7990s) in crossfire, AND he's stupid enough to not notice your malware maxing out his GPUs (a long shot), you'd only get 3MH/s. That kind of person is literally probably one in ten million. Realistically, you'll be lucky to get more than 30kh/s out of each bot, and I am being generous. So, let's see how many bots it'd REALLY take: 1,920,385 / 30 = 64,013 bots. Which is definitely doable, there are botnets in the hundreds of thousands and probably millions of systems. Looking back at your math, I don't even see what you're talking about. The guy is mining with 2M kh/s, not 2M MH/s...

ok, my bad,sorry. i change the kh/s per mh/s
Tomatocage
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 05:52:37 AM

Correct, and it is an ASIC for Scrypt. And he still mines BTC too.

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
samfisher

Activity: 60

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 06:01:46 AM

What...  He's an ex BTC GPU miner...

*Link Removed*
Tomatocage
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 06:08:40 AM

What...  He's an ex BTC GPU miner...

He's THE ex BTC GPU miner.

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
Bitobsessed

Activity: 291

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 06:13:29 AM

What...  He's an ex BTC GPU miner...

Oh wow.  This is getting interesting, and I like it.
theDF

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 06:20:13 AM

Oh wow!
YipYip

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 06:25:05 AM

There is no ASIC for scrypt !!!  stop speaking FUD

OBJECT NOT FOUND
lishbtc

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 06:27:21 AM

LTC in red.

barwizi
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 07:19:11 AM

There is no ASIC for scrypt !!!  stop speaking FUD

how is that FUD? if one is actually functional and THAT effecient then it's good news.
YipYip

Activity: 574

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 08:15:58 AM

There is no ASIC for scrypt !!!  stop speaking FUD

how is that FUD? if one is actually functional and THAT effecient then it's good news.

Technically it is like inventing a fission reactor.....not impossible but about 10x as hard for BTC SHA  (it is not going to JUST happen with some dude mining ltc !!)

Whats the most likely conclusion

1) BTC diff has gotten too high and a COmpany/Farm with 500 rigs switched to ltc  ?
2) Some guy/company has developed a technology in complete secrecy & invested 10-30+ million $$ to create this new revolutionary chip
(P.S A guy told a guy that told me on troll box lolz?)

THERE IS NO ASIC FOR SCRYPT so stop perpetuating a lot of bullshit based upon NOTHING !!!  

OBJECT NOT FOUND
WindMaster

Activity: 347

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 09:53:32 AM

Interestingly, a lot of people seem to be assuming large, professionally built GPU farms are built the same way as amateur mining rigs, with just a couple GPU's per motherboard.  No.  At that level of investment, they're built significantly differently.  ROI matters, so the inefficient ways amateur miners assemble PC's simply doesn't compute for significant sized GPU farms.

Think more along the lines of one motherboard per rack of GPU's, using custom PCIe bridges and riser boards, and you'll be a little closer to the reality of large, professionally-built GPU farms.  And no, you're probably not going to see photos released of any professionally built and operated farm, until after GPU mining is no longer feasible for any cryptocoin.  Usually you won't even get a camera anywhere near the building (or semi trailers or 40' shipping containers, in some cases), on the rare chance that you get a chance to see one of them.

The farm being discussed here isn't all that large..  There are significantly larger GPU farms both already mining LTC, and still mining BTC that haven't transitioned over yet.
superduh

Activity: 602

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 10:24:53 AM

3000+ gpus is not small by any means. and having in fly under the radar is crazy. was there really such a "gpu farm" mining bitcoins - their hashrate should be proportional kh vs mh so you can see who had that much mining power for btc

ok
fabrizziop

Activity: 506

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 10:33:18 AM

Check wemineltc, the user seems gone from the lists.
barwizi
Legendary

Activity: 882

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 10:47:21 AM

check give-me-ltc
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 12:01:43 PM

Yep there he is again.

So what you guys are hinting is it may be Artforz?

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
Beaflag VonRathburg

Activity: 472

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 01:10:27 PM

Interestingly, a lot of people seem to be assuming large, professionally built GPU farms are built the same way as amateur mining rigs, with just a couple GPU's per motherboard.  No.  At that level of investment, they're built significantly differently.  ROI matters, so the inefficient ways amateur miners assemble PC's simply doesn't compute for significant sized GPU farms.

Think more along the lines of one motherboard per rack of GPU's, using custom PCIe bridges and riser boards, and you'll be a little closer to the reality of large, professionally-built GPU farms.  And no, you're probably not going to see photos released of any professionally built and operated farm, until after GPU mining is no longer feasible for any cryptocoin.  Usually you won't even get a camera anywhere near the building (or semi trailers or 40' shipping containers, in some cases), on the rare chance that you get a chance to see one of them.

The farm being discussed here isn't all that large..  There are significantly larger GPU farms both already mining LTC, and still mining BTC that haven't transitioned over yet.

Please... Those PCIe backplanes cost 2-3x more than a motherboard. This is a large amount of hashing power otherwise people wouldn't be discussing it.

So this kind of HUGE hash power fluctuation for a single miner is normal?  Roll Eyes
Looks more like infected machines logging on and off to me.

https://i.imgur.com/B9eEEHP.png

Next few days will tell I guess.

Agreed, there's something going on. This isn't something that is a normal GPU level deployment. Anyone else remember the giant BTC botnet that was coming out of Spain last year?

smolen

Activity: 524

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 01:30:24 PM

So what you guys are hinting is it may be Artforz?
Too silly for Artforz... Well, may be it's Artforz with Alzheimer Smiley

Of course I gave you bad advice. Good one is way out of your price range.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2013, 02:29:24 PM

Something in the dark  Cheesy Wink

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print