Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:28:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Advise on "Where to Start" for newbies  (Read 149 times)
Poink (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 122

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 04:11:40 PM
Last edit: May 02, 2018, 01:52:51 PM by Poink
Merited by npredtorch (2), ItsEzMkay (1)

I answered a question today about "where to start" and thought maybe this will benefit more people if I put this on it's own thread.  Others are welcome to add/post their thoughts.

===========================

You are in one of the best place to learn BUT note that as much as there are so much good info here....there is so much "noise" or bad info as well that finding the real "golden nuggets of info" becomes difficult.

The basics.
Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.  Not really but a good one anyway.
The higher the risk, the greater the reward.  Very true in crypto but learn to minimize your risks by going with stable/known coins & tokens first.  Take more risks once you have enough knowledge.
DYOR= do your own research.  Do not rely on anyone's advise at face value.  Take it as a guide then research.
FUD= fear, uncertainty and doubt. This usually creates massive sell off, market crash/dip which most "seasoned" traders see as opportunities.  Take advantage of it and not be a victim.
ATH = all time high.  Highest price the coin/token reached.  Worst time to buy
FOMO= fear of missing out.  Usually jumping in and investing w/o research...just because so and so mentioned it is the next x1000 coin or because market is buying it like a feeding frenzy by piranhas.  This usually ends up in buying at ATH and followed by a dip/loss.  DYOR.
Buy low, sell high.  The golden mantra...when in doubt, default to this.

There are lots of good info at youtube.  Look for crypto videos and usually, the ones with most followers/views are good indications of good source for advise.

Coindesk, Reddit and Github are good sources of info as well.

Blockfolio is a good cellphone app to track you coins.

BTW, stay safe!  There are many ways to lose money, the fastest is by getting hacked.  Use strong passwords, use 2FA (two factor authentication) AND secure your wallet/exchange keys as well as 2FA keys.  Save them on paper (printed) AND on a thumb drive you can store safely.  NEVER on your computer where it can be accessed easily if you get hacked.  Next to losing it, nothing worse than knowing you have money but you cannot access.

Added input from other posters...
i would say another important thing, DO NOT OVER-TRADE, i lost so much changing coins while if i had hold for a couple of months i would have got the same gains or more, get a decent coin, set up the targets and wait!

besides over trade, the first rule of trading is Don't Be Greedy
make a little profit with consistency is better than make a huge profit in one day after that you lose your money in the next days

Good luck!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
alex-nn

Activity: 462
Merit: 104

In Binance we trust!

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 05:35:46 PM

If you don't have money but have free time - go to bounty section on this forum to earn first coins and sell it on Exchange. Make it several times and you will have money to invest in ICO and trading to make bigger profits

► HackenAI ◄ ♦ HackenAI - Personal Cybersecurity Application ♦ ► HackenAI ◄
───●●───●●───●●───●●───●●─[   Bounty Detective   ]─●●───●●───●●───●●───●●───
Facebook|Twitter|Medium|Reddit|Telegram|Whitepaper
ItsEzMkay

Activity: 303
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 06:35:35 PM

Well written friend, I don't have many merits but this post deserves one imo. Btw stop giving away all the good advice jk Grin (the 2FA is most important and it is often overlooked, it never should be)

Poink (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 07:35:43 PM

Well written friend, I don't have many merits but this post deserves one imo. Btw stop giving away all the good advice jk Grin (the 2FA is most important and it is often overlooked, it never should be)

Thanks!!!

I wonder how many gone through (self inflicted) problems because they did not save their 2FA key though.  The horror of damaged, stolen, or lost cellphone if that happens.  Shocked
semerchet

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 09:15:21 PM

It sure is a very good advice. I'm like a sponge, reading all the info, but it's hard to pick out the right info.
But thanks for the info
Dikobit

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 09:26:17 PM

i would say another important thing, DO NOT OVER-TRADE, i lost so much changing coins while if i had hold for a couple of months i would have got the same gains or more, get a decent coin, set up the targets and wait!
Mr. Art

Merit: 100

HiveNet - Distributed Cloud Computing

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 09:32:39 PM

make a little profit with consistency is better than make a huge profit in one day after that you lose your money in the next days

moopser

Activity: 90
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 09:51:23 PM

This could be one of the best advises ever and deserves to take its place in the first post.

Never ever wait for additional 1% price change if you already decided to enter into or to quit the trade, set limits and stop losses, otherwise everything can end up with higher loss, or of course higher profit.. but you would never know.

Poink (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 09:58:23 PM

This could be one of the best advises ever and deserves to take its place in the first post.

Never ever wait for additional 1% price change if you already decided to enter into or to quit the trade, set limits and stop losses, otherwise everything can end up with higher loss, or of course higher profit.. but you would never know.

GREED gets most of us one way or another.

Develop a good plan and stick to it. Wink
npredtorch
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1049

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 10:50:44 PM

I suggest you add too the saying "don't put all your eggs in one basket".
I think it have a deserving spot for advises when starting up on altcoin trading, particularly there is a hell lot of coins/tokens to choose from.
Poink (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 01:53:38 PM

OP updated with suggestions.

Resurrecting this thread...may help a few new members.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: