Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 09:23:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Does the brand of memory on gpu matter?  (Read 278 times)
Bigdrago (OP)

Activity: 312
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 04:27:07 PM

Hi. I have received some radeon 570 (4gb and 8gb).
Does it really matter what kind of memory they have? Samsung, elphida, hynix or micron?

If it matters I want to return the “bad” ones and keep the best.

Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 04:31:59 PM

Not really. Any Bios modded RX 570 should get 28-30 MH/s on Ethash. On other less memory intensive algorithms it plays almost no role in the hash rate. How much a card overclocks is more dependent on the ASIC quality than it is on the memory type. I've had very good results using the Polaris Bios Editor v1.62 'one click timing patch' on the original Bios. PBE automatically detects the memory type and v1.6.2 applies the bundled performance straps to the 1750 MHz and up timings. The current v1.6.7 adjusts the 1500 MHz and up timings, but the 1750 MHz straps are more stable for most cards.

https://github.com/jaschaknack/PolarisBiosEditor/tree/9ec64066eecdb55ac86da7bc82181eaab2161d51
Juggar

Activity: 242
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 04:32:09 PM

Does it really matter what kind of memory they have? Samsung, elphida, hynix or micron?

It matters a great deal for Eth mining considering its a memory heavy algo that relies on a high memory OC.

I only have experience with Nvidia cards but having Samsung can make a huge difference. Samsung ( @ +1000) GTX 1060 3gb = 25 MH/s and Hynix only 20 MH/s or less.
Bigdrago (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 04:40:15 PM

Thanks.

I was thinking of using the bios from Anorak on the cards.
(Plan b is to memstrap the cards myself).

But the question I keep asking myself. How much hash to gain when OC? Is there a risk undervolting?
giveen1

Activity: 70

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 04:43:55 PM

It matters a great deal for Eth mining considering its a memory heavy algo that relies on a high memory OC.

I only have experience with Nvidia cards but having Samsung can make a huge difference. Samsung ( @ +1000) GTX 1060 3gb = 25 MH/s and Hynix only 20 MH/s or less.

My 1060's are Hynix and its not worth mining Eth with them.
Juggar

Activity: 242
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 04:49:30 PM

My 1060's are Hynix and its not worth mining Eth with them.

Yup, ive been very lucky so far. every 1060 ive bought has been samsung. My best cards are HP OEM 1060 3GB cards, very unassuming but 25 MH/s monsters with a +1000 MHz OC.
Vann

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 04:59:38 PM

Thanks.

I was thinking of using the bios from Anorak on the cards.
(Plan b is to memstrap the cards myself).

But the question I keep asking myself. How much hash to gain when OC? Is there a risk undervolting?

On cards that aren't Bios modded the default memory timings play a bigger role. Since you can't Bios mod Nvidia cards, I suspect that's why Nvidia 1060 cards with Hynix memory are not as good on Ethash as cards with Samsung or Micron memory. I have the opposite results with my Bios modded RX 580's. Using the PBE timings the cards with Hynix memory get ~31.5 MH/s stable, while my Samsung cards get 30 MH/s max.

On RX 570's you should see ~5 MH/s increase on Ethash from Bios modding the timings. Undervolting cards is generally safe as long as they are stable and it also makes them run cooler. Excessive heat and voltage is the number one thing that kills electronics and cooler running cards last longer.
Bigdrago (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 05:24:37 PM

What software would u recommend when undervolting a bios modded gpu? Cant I undervolt directly the bios?
I will use newest AMD drivers.
Vann

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 05:46:39 PM
Last edit: January 31, 2018, 07:04:55 PM by Vann

Most overclocking tools won't work with the new AMD Adrenaline drivers. I use the Claymore miner config file to set the undervolt, overclocks, power limit and temp/fan speeds automatically at run time. You can also use OverdriveNtool to create overclocking profiles for your cards as explained on www.mining.help.

Setting the voltage and clocks in the Bios is possible, but IMO it's not worth it unless you are dealing with lots of cards since it makes it harder to change them on the fly for different algorithms. Mattthev's guide gives the basics on setting the voltages and clocks in the Bios.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1954245.0
Bigdrago (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 10:24:47 PM

Thanks.

Will try Trixx to underclock gpu, reduse volt and oc memory clock.
dohfish

Activity: 65

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 10:36:11 PM

For overclocking, do yourself a favor and use OverDriveNTool, create a .bat file and start the on boot, nothing will ever beat that for stability, it simply just works.

I have had my fair share is issues with TriXX, Afterburner, Claymore, Wattman and what the f. ever is out there, ODNT simply works 100% of the time.
HodlerBaggins

Activity: 42

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 10:46:52 PM

Samsung is the best

Micron is the worst.

It definitely matters, but not a ton.  1 or 2 Mh/s if you bios mod them correctly for ETH.

Samsung cards are way better for Cryptonite, at least in my experience.

tipac

Activity: 55

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 11:47:19 PM

i flashed all my rx580 bios with anorak .rom.
will this decrease my gpus lifespan ?
thanks
Amstellodamois

Activity: 182

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 11:53:43 PM

For overclocking, do yourself a favor and use OverDriveNTool, create a .bat file and start the on boot, nothing will ever beat that for stability, it simply just works.
Can you get rid of the ATI settings entirely and set the GPU to compute with a third party tool (I don't think OverdriveNTool does it)?
dohfish

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 12:45:38 AM

Can you get rid of the ATI settings entirely and set the GPU to compute with a third party tool (I don't think OverdriveNTool does it)?

Honestly, I don't know - I always simply install the settings and apply compute via that, as long as you don't tinker with Wattman at all I have had no issues with it.

At least, I have not had any issues, I cannot even remember that I have had a driver crash/issue for ages, at least not since mid dec when I installed the Adrenaline driver package, it has been rock solid since then.
Amstellodamois

Activity: 182

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 01:06:12 AM

Asking because I've felt sometimes (rarely) my settings were overridden by something (suspecting wattman, of course).
dohfish

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 01:22:37 AM

Asking because I've felt sometimes (rarely) my settings were overridden by something (suspecting wattman, of course).

If you have a driver crash due to too high clocks, you will see the AMD Settings take over, so that could be a factor, I have not seen it interfere in any other cases.
Bigdrago (OP)

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 09:41:56 PM

Samsung is the best

Micron is the worst.

It definitely matters, but not a ton.  1 or 2 Mh/s if you bios mod them correctly for ETH.

Got a bunch of 570b gb micron. Lol. Will get them up and running soon. Hope they will do gopd.
androstan1234

Activity: 251
Merit: 6

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 12:47:39 PM

There is a way to set compute mode without using AMD settings.  I believe it's a regedit, and it was disclosed on this board.  Do some searching.
Bigdrago (OP)

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 09:12:28 PM

Samsung is the best

Micron is the worst.

I get 30.x with micron (sapphire nitro+ 8gb).
Hynix about 28-29.

Will buy some Samsung tomorrow.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: