Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 06:09:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: How much would you donate for the development of an opensource single purpose bitcoin hardware wallet ?
0.1 bitcoin
1 bitcoin
10 bitcoins
100 bitcoins
nothing, this is a stupid

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why isn't there a single purpose bitcoin hardware wallet ???  (Read 3338 times)
exynos645 (OP)

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 08:44:57 PM

Why do we still have to use multiple purpose hardware like smartphones and pc for wallets ? Ever since I have known bitcoin I have been waiting for a secure hardware wallet for sending and receiving bitcoins so to introduce bitcoin to my family and people around me that aren't tech savy enough to keep their bitcoins safe. And don't tell me that trezor is a wallet it is just way secure your wallet.

We could put up a bounty for the development of of an open source hardware wallet.

by single purpose hardware wallet I mean something like the bitcoincard but no need for the mesh network nor for it to be this thin and small =v        

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
exynos645 (OP)

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 09:01:17 PM

There is.. Its called Trezor and available for pre-order.

you clearly did not read my post.
ronimacarroni

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 09:04:20 PM

I would pay nothing because I'd just use a usb drive if I wanted to store bitcoins offline
exynos645 (OP)

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 09:09:57 PM

I would pay nothing because I'd just use a usb drive if I wanted to store bitcoins offline

There is a world of difference between a wallet and a cold storage device.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 09:13:23 PM

Here we have an example of someone who understood exactly NOTHING about the thread

infobiactrader

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 09:31:02 PM

I think that the majority of people who use bitcoin already own smartphones (massive generalization, but chances are if you're savvy enough to use bitcoin, you're savvy enough to own a smartphone).  I know that I, owning a smartphone, wouldn't want to carry something else with me.  One of the (many) conveniences of bitcoin is that it eliminates the need to carry a wallet full of cash; I think having a hardware wallet seems a little redundant to me.  As for those that aren't tech savvy enough to use a smartphone, I think giving them a hardware wallet would be even worse; now they have ways to lose the coins both physically and electronically.  Just my two satoshis.
Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

What's a GPU?

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 09:40:43 PM

Is http://www.bitcointrezor.com/ just being poorly marketed or what?

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 09:42:59 PM

now they have ways to lose the coins both physically and electronically
Thanks to a security passphrase even losing the gadget means no risk to your bitcoins' ownership.

QuantPlus

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 12:48:47 AM

The market is smaller than people think.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 12:01:47 PM

It's kinda like apple where their stuff wasn't really useful until it had a large support ecosystem. If web services and exchanges started integrating Trezor into their security, they would be more useful, but Trezor relies on a different type of security model for handling bitcoin. It will really be only for desktop clients or other bitcoin services that are under your physical control. It would be nice for blockchain to support it though (I'm sure they will) until using it is simpler, or the things to use it with are more widespread, it will remain a niche product.  Although I plan to buy one quite soon.

more or less retired.
Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 08:03:09 PM

you can not have a totally offline device for an online reality.
flagel8

Activity: 188

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 08:29:38 PM

Actually, this is what I want too. But make the device robust. G-Shock robust. Cover it with scales, so you won’t drop it easily, and put a lanyard on it so you can’t drop it at all, say, when you are sightseeing at Niagara Falls and transferring BTC to a client...

Or what if Casio made an actual G-Shock Bitcoin wallet? More useful than Tide information in Omaha I’d say. Although I still want sunrise/sunset alarms. That’s just me though.

Many options exist for security, I won’t go into them here.

And just as some coin wallets have numerous compartments for whatever, being able to hold several different currencies might not be a bad idea. Mintchip, anyone? And some fiat as well, for gasoline/snack purchases maybe. Cambodian Tire money? Timbitcoins?
Mjbmonetarymetals
Legendary

Activity: 1096
Merit: 1067

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 09:41:43 PM

I originally thought the Trezor was a Bitcoin safe rather than just keeping your bitcoins safe - been hoping for a standalone device but must be in the minority - there's nothing more uninspiring than Bitcons on a USB stick.

Bitrated user: Mick.
Moogle

Activity: 238

KUPO!

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2013, 09:52:32 PM

really cant see a need for this type of thing. if you are worried about family members not being able to handle security etc then give them an online wallet like inputs.io and they can use it like paypal.
I really cant imagine someone using bitcoin who wouldnt have a smart phone O_o

Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 10:09:44 PM

really cant see a need for this type of thing. if you are worried about family members not being able to handle security etc then give them an online wallet like inputs.io and they can use it like paypal.

Are you suggesting using a smartphone to hold a lot of BTC's on? That is pretty dangerous.

A hardware wallet has it's own problems, but getting hacked is pretty far down the list. EMP is the other (I think).

I'm surprised we don't hear more about Trezor and hardware wallets. I do think something simpler (or cheaper) will shortly (next year or so) be developed.

IAS

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 10:29:36 PM

Please explain me how a smartphone is more secure than a pc. Viruses exist for smartphones too

flagel8

Activity: 188

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 06:20:28 PM

Well, I am blown away by this! Not at all what I envisioned, but Stunning! Applause, Sir!
cor

Activity: 121

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2013, 08:38:59 PM

I originally thought the Trezor was a Bitcoin safe rather than just keeping your bitcoins safe - been hoping for a standalone device but must be in the minority - there's nothing more uninspiring than Bitcons on a USB stick.

There are some explanations on the TREZOR FAQ page on the differences between TREZOR and a USB, an encrypted wallet, a yubikey etc...

http://www.bitcointrezor.com/faq/#comparing-trezor

for example the difference between a USB and TREZOR:

"A USB flash drive is just a storage for private keys. It means that when you want to make a bitcoin transaction, you must attach your drive to the computer and let your bitcoin software read the keys from the device. At this point your private keys are accessible to viruses and malware, just as to any other software on your desktop computer. On the contrary, TREZOR is a single-purpose computer, which stores your private keys and actively signs bitcoin transactions without sending your private keys to the computer. When you want to make a bitcoin transaction, your bitcoin software just sends a transaction template to the TREZOR device and asks for a digital signature. TREZOR shows the requested amount and target address on its display. You will then confirm the transaction by pressing the hardware button. Then TREZOR signs transaction internally and sends the digital signature back to the computer, without leaking your private keys. Thanks to this, you can use TREZOR even on a vulnerable or hacked computer."

westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 06:41:17 AM

Please explain me how a smartphone is more secure than a pc. Viruses exist for smartphones too

Well, I'd imagine the average non-Windows smartphone (the majority) to be notably more secure than the average Windows PC (the majority,) given equal amounts of effort put into securing the device.

But really, I think a reasonably-secured smartphone--or just one that's dedicated to the purpose--functions fairly well as a suitable hardware spending wallet, especially for anyone experienced with Bitcoin.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 07:06:17 AM

Honestly I think Piper is going in the direction of being a single purpose bitcoin wallet. Already it handles printing all your Private key needs. Not much of a leap to see it also handle your wallet as well. I think we will see single purpose bitcoin devices, some people would appreciate them. I certainly would.

more or less retired.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: