Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 12:00:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Impossible to Buy GPUS  (Read 2002 times)
minerja

Activity: 1248
Merit: 297

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 09:27:58 AM

If you can obtain one/some 1080 ti's in the $600- $800 USD range, then definitely go for the card(s).  If over $1000 USD, maybe better to buy Bitcoin during the ongoing dip and HODL until supply & demand and Volta corrections occur to the Nvidia GPU markets.
This is the state of the UK gpu market...No1 supplier in the UK

https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/gpu-nvidia/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-graphics-cards

Cheapest card in stock £950 or $1350, and you can only purchase 1.

Crazy!
I don't get it, BTC has fallen through the floor, the legislation will stabalise it, but it's going to drop much lower, probably back to around $1000 a coin, and that will lower all crypto by same amount, peeps are never going to make the cost of the cards back.

Rather than buy equipment, just buy coin, far better option at the moment. Go but 1,000,000 of some 1 sat coin and when you sell it at 2 sats you'll have made more money than you ever will mining.
Don't encourage the gpu war 1 more day...think smart, not hard.
J

oh, if you must go buy gpus, buy 1030gts and rx550, you'll have a better roi on them than any other model at the moment...well until they all sell out and double in price Smiley
dlezama

Activity: 140
Merit: 17

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 09:29:34 AM

You just said that the market is going to tank, and that we should invest in a shitcoin, in the same post...
minerja

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 09:32:06 AM

You just said that the market is going to tank, and that we should invest in a shitcoin, in the same post...
Yup, better than to lose a few dollars invested rather than 1000's in dead gpus, give it 3 months and no one wil be able to sell a 1080ti for $400 even...there will be literally 10,000's of gpus hitting the 2nd hand market come summer when everyone gets bored with all this....all those trolleys of gpus are gonna come back to haunt us...
Neo-Geo

Activity: 126
Merit: 15

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2018, 12:00:43 AM

In stock! https://www.evga.com/products/Product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-6698-KR

That's my favorite mining GPU. Go get em!
ferall

Activity: 672
Merit: 265

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 12:06:58 AM

Yup, better than to lose a few dollars invested rather than 1000's in dead gpus, give it 3 months and no one wil be able to sell a 1080ti for $400 even...there will be literally 10,000's of gpus hitting the 2nd hand market come summer when everyone gets bored with all this....all those trolleys of gpus are gonna come back to haunt us...

Grin I will review this post in exactly 3 months.
mojoxc

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 12:12:03 AM

GPUs are still flowing, you just have need the right relationships to buy them at a decent price.  It might be time to take a breather on purchasing and wait three months for the gpu market to normalize if you're trying to jump in now.

The gpus are the first electronic device I have ever owned that appreciates even after use.
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 12:16:37 AM

The gpus are the first electronic device I have ever owned that appreciates even after use.

That just shows how screwed up the market is. I dont know why anyone is buying GPUs with this insane pricing. I remember refusing to buy 1070s because they were selling for $400 when they should have only been around $370. Now there are idiots out there paying $800+ for em.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
ferall

Activity: 672
Merit: 265

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 12:25:10 AM

GPUs are still flowing, you just have need the right relationships to buy them at a decent price.  It might be time to take a breather on purchasing and wait three months for the gpu market to normalize if you're trying to jump in now.

Plus the iPhone X on launch day. Idiots paying 50% more in some cases. And some retro computer lol
coins4commies

Activity: 952
Merit: 175

@cryptocommies

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 12:25:54 AM

MSRP + $200
Viecoin

Activity: 852
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 01:17:01 AM

The next time that you see an ad for one of those gaming computers that comes with a 10 series GPU, add it to cart and see if there is a drop-down to add 2-3 cards at retail price.
Neo-Geo

Activity: 126
Merit: 15

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2018, 02:45:41 AM

The link I provided is for buying directly from the manufacturer, so your math should be: MSRP + $0.00
Their FTW3 Hybrid was always a flagship model and was $819.99 at the lowest back in 2017 during a Newegg promotion. Good enough price for me, since the FTW3 generates more hashes/sols than a 1080 Ti SC2, no other card will run cooler than this one, and that's the lowest price you're going to find. Sure beats paying hundreds more for used on eBay. I bought 3 using 3 accounts across 3 different mailing addresses. Will finally be able to finish 10th rig of 8 (80 Pascal GPUs, all water cooled). That's it for GPUs until Volta. Finished!

nsummy

Activity: 1179
Merit: 131

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 03:43:34 AM

Technically its MSRP + $20, since this is the same card without the hybrid cooler.  I remember when I first started mining, my first 2 cards were refurbished evga 1080s that I got for $450 each, absolute steal.  I had the computer in my bedroom and quickly realized the amount of noise and heat I would have to deal with.  Shortly after I ordered 2 of their hybrid coolers for $125 a pop.  Best decision I ever made, cut the noise by 80% and didn't have to deal with throttling issues from my top card blowing a massive amount of heat on the card below it.  These hybrid cards are well worth the premium in my opinion.
Digital Drug Lord

Activity: 294
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 03:48:06 AM

Technically its MSRP + $20, since this is the same card without the hybrid cooler.  I remember when I first started mining, my first 2 cards were refurbished evga 1080s that I got for $450 each, absolute steal.  I had the computer in my bedroom and quickly realized the amount of noise and heat I would have to deal with.  Shortly after I ordered 2 of their hybrid coolers for $125 a pop.  Best decision I ever made, cut the noise by 80% and didn't have to deal with throttling issues from my top card blowing a massive amount of heat on the card below it.  These hybrid cards are well worth the premium in my opinion.

are they water cooled?

my 2 video cards are heating up my upstairs house
greyday

Activity: 434
Merit: 52

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 10:38:24 AM

are they water cooled?

my 2 video cards are heating up my upstairs house

Whether they are or not, they will still generate the same amount of heat. The only way to circumvent that is to run them in such a way that the radiators are not in the room.
minerja

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 10:44:51 AM

The next time that you see an ad for one of those gaming computers that comes with a 10 series GPU, add it to cart and see if there is a drop-down to add 2-3 cards at retail price.

lol, looks like you've been watching the same YT vids as me, thats what they are now doing to get round the price increases...
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 09:24:54 PM

GPUs are still flowing, you just have need the right relationships to buy them at a decent price.  It might be time to take a breather on purchasing and wait three months for the gpu market to normalize if you're trying to jump in now.

A VERY temporary situation caused by the current extreme shortage.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 09:25:38 PM

They were probably gone by the time you finished typing and posting about them.

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
mojoxc

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 02:07:04 PM

One other big issue is the 10 series gpus are being used in machine learning in data centers as they provide significantly more bang for the buck than the ones nvidia is trying to sell to them.

Until there is a better solution at a better price for data centers, they will continue to drain the 1070 and 1080 stock as well.
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 01:54:53 AM

The new Titan V might change that, given it's extreme "AI" focused performance at a MUCH lower price point than the previous options NVidia wanted to point folks at.

I wouldn't bet a LOT on that though.

remauto1187ma

Activity: 234
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 05:53:32 AM

Give it 30-60 days and ebay will be flooded with the miners that just couldnt afford to stay in the game and will be selling their equipment off.  The GPU market is already on borrowed time.  More and more GPU's in stock every day and prices coming down.  Just give it 30-90 days and GPU prices will be substantially lower.  If BTC ever gets back up to over 10k then who knows what will happen again with the GPU market. Most likely back up again.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: