Bitcoin Forum
July 29, 2024, 04:05:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My account has been hacked  (Read 98 times)
temporarily123 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 08:36:57 AM

As far as I understand the ownership of my email account is not a proof of my account ownership on this forum and I never posted any of my bitcoin addresses on this forum.

The hacker changed my email address, so I can't change my password or login.

What was the point of sending me an email to lock my account? I locked it but I can't unlock it? What is going to happen to this account?
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3276
Merit: 4113

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 09:08:58 AM

If you can't provide a signed bitcoin address which was posted or sent privately via a personal message it will remain locked. At least the account is locked and won't be able to use your name to scam etc.

The locking mechanic was introduced to prevent any hacker from ruining the account before the rightful owner provides evidence that it's their account and it get's processed and unlocked by the admins.
timerland

Activity: 1526
Merit: 596

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 09:15:00 AM

As far as I understand the ownership of my email account is not a proof of my account ownership on this forum and I never posted any of my bitcoin addresses on this forum.

The hacker changed my email address, so I can't change my password or login.

What was the point of sending me an email to lock my account? I locked it but I can't unlock it? What is going to happen to this account?

The procedure for recovering lost accounts requires you to have a valid signed message from an address that you have previously posted on this forum. I'm pretty sure that unless otherwise stated, this is your only chance of recovering your account, since it is the only definitive proof that you have previously owned the account.

Did you ever send a PM to another person with the address in it? If yes, then ask that person to dig out that old PM. That *could* be a valid proof that the address was owned by you as well.

I have no idea what the "locking" email is about, but did you already lock your account? What's your username? If it's locked then the features on forum I'm assuming shouldn't be available to the hacker.

Smiley
Shazam!!!

Activity: 350
Merit: 158

#takeminingback

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2018, 09:18:30 AM

Double check it, to see if you posted ANY addresses. BTC or Altcoins will work  if you can sign a message from it. The whole
point of locking it is; To stop the spammer who stole it from posting a bunch of crap, and falsely using your reputation to
procure new transactions/deals. Beings, that an email can also be stolen/hacked, it is preferable to use a signed message
because you can sign with the current date showing immediate proof. If you are unable to do this, chances are, you will not
recover the account. Goodluck!!!

Click these links to learn some truth about Big Corporate mining pools stealing your money and centralizing BTCitcoin!!!
Help support the BTCitcoin community!!! Mine your BTCitcoin at a non-Corporate pool!!! BTC: 1ShazamjsPnpWDNnk3n2tAiKGMdXaSjay
I mine BTCitcoin at a non-Corporate pool with no hidden fees, no empty BTClocks: Kano Pool   ■ get Kano Pool signature banners here ■
temporarily123 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 05:00:35 PM

I never beg for money so I never posted any BTC addresses to which I have private keys.

Moreover, I'm pretty sure that the only way to hack my account was either to brute force the password or hack this forum db, as my computer is clean and nothing else was hacked.

Well, I guess after so many years on this forum it's good to know how bad things are here...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: