Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:29:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Accidently sent bitcoin to first genesis block, any way to get it back?  (Read 7573 times)
chefwaffles (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 05:37:12 AM

I was moving around some bitcoins and my autosave normally gives me the correct address to send it to, i only have one bitcoin address that i send too.  I wasnt paying attention and this address popped up 1A1zP1eP5QGefi2DMPTfTL5SLmv7DivfNa instead of my normal address, which is quite strange.  Looking around at blockchain.info trying to see where my bitcoin went, this was the first block ever created.  Now is there any way to get my bitcoins back or is it lost forever?  
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
topminingcontracts

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

TaaS is a closed-end fund designated to blockchain

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2013, 05:39:57 AM

Lost forever.

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 05:43:42 AM

Lost forever.

This.   There is no way to undo Bitcoin transactions.  The receiver could send it back but unless Satoshi is reading this well you are SOL.
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 05:52:04 AM

That genesis block address has received 848 transactions!

Is this a deliberate "feature" in the standard bitcoin client which has the first used address as a default somewhere and therefore collecting loads of smallish payments?

TippingPoint
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 05:54:51 AM

It looks like your 0.001 BTC is gone forever.

https://blockchain.info/address/1A1zP1eP5QGefi2DMPTfTL5SLmv7DivfNa

Alert the crisis intervention team.
theDF

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 06:01:23 AM

Bitcoin payments are irreversible, just hope that satoshi read this and send your coin back to you
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 07:17:46 AM

Bitcoin payments are irreversible, just hope that satoshi read this and send your coin back to you

Sending a large chunk there and claiming it was an accident would be a nice attempt to see if Satoshi is monitoring this forum!

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Micky25
Legendary

Activity: 974

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 07:40:37 AM

Is this a deliberate "feature" in the standard bitcoin client which has the first used address as a default somewhere and therefore collecting loads of smallish payments?

All these 0.000055 BTC transactions are really strange. Satoshis pension payments, built into the protocol?  Wink
Realpra

Activity: 815

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 07:56:24 AM

Sending a large chunk there and claiming it was an accident would be a nice attempt to see if Satoshi is monitoring this forum!
I think Satoshi might be fine with the ruthlessness of the protocol as in: "If you can't type a number right, maybe someone else should get the power your money represents".

That said typing wrong  is my nr. 1 fear with BTC...

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 08:06:06 AM

IIRC, the genesis block coinbase is not spendable. So, not even Satoshi could send them back to you.
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2013, 08:11:47 AM
Merited by vapourminer (2)

IIRC, the genesis block coinbase is not spendable. So, not even Satoshi could send them back to you.

The "coinbase" isn't but all the other (non-coinbase) UTXOs are (i.e. only the initial 50 BTC can't be spent).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 08:50:41 AM

All these 0.000055 BTC transactions are really strange. Satoshis pension payments, built into the protocol?  Wink

Here's a radical theory.
Satoshi sent his last message, which was to Gavin, in April 2011, so perhaps some of these recent transactions are "pings" from him to make it known that he is still around. Notice how there are no transactions between the genesis block coinbase of Jan 2009 and May 13th, 2011. So the transactions started just after Satoshi melted into the shadows, permanently.
https://blockchain.info/address/1A1zP1eP5QGefi2DMPTfTL5SLmv7DivfNa?sort=1

Jace

Activity: 288
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 09:01:49 AM

That said typing wrong  is my nr. 1 fear with BTC...
You should never manually type an address in the first place. Copy+paste, QR, Bitcoin:// URLs, firstbits, and visual verification.

Feel free to send your life savings to 1JhrfA12dBMUhcgh85wYan6HL2uLQdB6z9
razibuzouzou

Activity: 354
Merit: 251

coinorama.net

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2013, 09:59:00 AM

Here's a radical theory.
Satoshi sent his last message, which was to Gavin, in April 2011, so perhaps some of these recent transactions are "pings" from him to make it known that he is still around. Notice how there are no transactions between the genesis block coinbase of Jan 2009 and May 13th, 2011. So the transactions started just after Satoshi melted into the shadows, permanently.

The 0.000055 BTC transactions are indeed quite intriguing...
They all belong  to the same chain of addresses.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 10:02:12 AM

One thing I intentionally do every time I send Bitcoins or Litecoins is verify the the address at least visually (first set of bits and last set).

Hasn't failed me once yet.

Almost always copy paste addresses, then verify visually.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 10:45:43 AM

Here's a radical theory.

Maybe, but people use the blockchain for all sorts of other things, some quiet secretive. There are many encoded messages, Hashes, etc... These small payments might signify something else entirely.

more or less retired.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 10:52:41 AM

not even Satoshi could send them back to you.
I'm not sure how this false statement appeared but it's now 4 years old and still living...

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 11:22:10 AM

not even Satoshi could send them back to you.
I'm not sure how this false statement appeared but it's now 4 years old and still living...

Ha, people still praise how Bitcoin has no fees and can't be attacked by the government.
posormo

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 12:21:44 PM

Here's a radical theory.

You spend hours thinking about this type of shit don't you?

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2013, 12:24:19 PM

thats in satoshis pocket now  Grin

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: