This guide contains guidelines intended to reduce the number of threads in the wrong section as well as arguments regarding vague auction terms and imprecise descriptions. You do not have to follow all of the guidelines in this guide, but they will all help you in some way or another.What is the Auctions board for?
Auctions may optionally be placed in this section. Topics and replies in this section can't be modified or deleted.If you are selling a good or service for a fixed price, you should not use the Auctions board to place your thread!
Instead, post in the appropriate board. A list of Marketplace boards can be found at the top of this page: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=5.0Marketplace Rules and Guidelines
The Marketplace Rules and Guidelines apply to all areas of the marketplace, including Auctions. You can read them here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3629.0Make sure you know who you are dealing with!
Whether you are the buyer or seller, you should always make sure the person you are dealing with can be trusted. Factors to consider include marketplace trust, successful trades, and reputation (on or off-site). Search the person's username to see if he/she has been labeled a scammer in the past. If you feel uncertain about a deal, it is better to cancel the deal than to be scammed. Use a trusted escrow or middleman to protect both parties!What should you include in your auction?
- Thread subject
A good thread subject mentions the item(s) being sold and the quantity clearly. Price and other information can also be included.
Describe what you are selling in detail, so that buyers know exactly what they are bidding on. You can include images of the item, or proof of ownership (a signed message for example).
- Starting bid
The lowest price you will sell the item for.
- Buy it now
The price you will sell the item for immediately.
- End date and time
When writing the end date and time, be sure to include the time zone.
- Payment methods accepted
If you accept payment methods other than Bitcoin, mention them here. Beware of PayPal and other reversible transfer services!
- Additional information
You can include information about payment, shipping costs, escrow, and auction rules here.
You can copy this code into your auction to get started right away:
[b]Buy it now:[/b]
[b]End date and time:[/b]
[b]Payment methods accepted:[/b]
When auctioning shares, there are some pieces of infomation that you should include in your thread. You should sign a message with your dividend address as proof of ownership. You can also guarantee a date for share transfers to be finished, to avoid arguments regarding dividends.Seller Tips
Add a countdown timer to your auction by following this tutorial: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=285166.0
- Give a brief description of the auction goods and terms in the thread subject.
- Don't be vague in your description. The more details, the better!
- Give buyers an idea on how much shipping will cost (if it is a physical item).
- Keep track of your auction regularly to respond to questions.
- Set up your auction to end at a convenient time, so you can contact the winning bidder and arrange delivery promptly.
- Ask the seller any questions you have about the items being auctioned. If you are not sure about the item's condition or if you want more information, you can post your question in the auction thread.
- Replies in the Auctions section cannot be deleted or modified. Choose your bid wisely!
- To keep track of bids in an auction, click the 'Watch' button at the top or bottom of the auction thread. The thread will show up in your watchlist.
Be precise in your auction description and terms, keep track of your auction and make sure the bidders are always informed.Buyers:
Ask questions about what you are bidding on, and make sure you agree with the auction terms.Everyone:
Exercise caution when trading with strangers, and always use an escrow when in doubt.
Stay safe, and happy trading!