Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:38:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What happens if bitcoin price falls below the cost of mining it?  (Read 1384 times)
Bitcoinbelowmine (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 03:28:52 AM

Would bitcoin be able to recover? Are we safe since 80% of bitcoin has already been mined?

I remember it happened once in 2011 (https://www.themarysue.com/price-bitcoin-falls-below-mining/amp/).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Indra32

Activity: 182

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 03:46:14 AM

Would bitcoin be able to recover? Are we safe since 80% of bitcoin has already been mined?

I remember it happened once in 2011 (https://www.themarysue.com/price-bitcoin-falls-below-mining/amp/).

the possibility of investors and bitcoin enthusiasts will race to buy bitcoin for the mine and hope that someday bitcoin prices can skyrocket so they earn a significant profit when the price spike occurs
Polipog

Activity: 168

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 04:08:30 AM

Maybe bitcoin management are looking forward on what future positive results, that's why the price of bitcoin today is going down. Maybe it is only a strategic way by management so that bitcoin will cintinue their smooth flowing operation.
alyssa85
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 04:25:55 AM
Merited by Hydrogen (1), paxmao (1)

Satoshi thought and planned for it.

If the bitcoin price falls below the cost of mining, some miners will exit. It will temporarily cause block discovery to lengthen as the existing miners striuggle - but after 2400 blocks, the difficulty will adjust down. That means it's easier to mine. (The difficulty is directly linked to the cost of mining as you need many more miners to win a block when the difficulty is high).

Basically you'll get iterations of this till the cost of mining falls below the bitcoin price. If the bitcoin price fell to $1 I expect you'll be able to mine them with your laptop as the professional mining farms will have long given up.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit InvestBox.|.BUY X10 AND EARN 10% DAILY.🏆
h0lybyte

Activity: 924
Merit: 511

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 05:07:00 AM

That's too good for bitcoin's future if the 80% of coins have already been mined. The scarcity of bitcoins will increase its price very fast because butcoin has a lot of support from all parts of world and the more major economy institutions are now standing on their businesse on blockchain, so keeo buying and holding, the future will be bright
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3208

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 05:29:28 AM

It is not an issue at all. All that happens is that the unprofitable miners stop mining. That will cause the difficulty to fall and the rest of the miners can continue making a profit.

It actually happens all the time as the difficulty rises. When the difficulty rises, it gets more expensive to mine. Less efficient miners stop mining and more efficient miners continue.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
keykey1

Activity: 406
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 06:25:14 AM

It is not an issue at all. All that happens is that the unprofitable miners stop mining. That will cause the difficulty to fall and the rest of the miners can continue making a profit.

It actually happens all the time as the difficulty rises. When the difficulty rises, it gets more expensive to mine. Less efficient miners stop mining and more efficient miners continue.

True. They will stop it. Many miners have already understood that mining of Bitcoin brings less profit that trading and investing (simple holding then) into BTC. The further we go, the less income is gotten from mining.
13abyknight

Activity: 602
Merit: 252

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 07:45:17 AM

It's not just a matter of safety of already having 'x' percentage of Bitcoin in the existing supply but keeping the block reward in tact with variation in mining power in a situation like this. As a means of backup, difficulty will get readjusted based on the power being generated and block production will be back to an optimal average of 10 minutes per block.
There is almost no economic effect on Bitcoin users except that miners would have to suffice with lesser rewards which isn't too big of deal since they had their honeymoon period when fees were absurdly high.
AK47-

Activity: 644
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 08:14:15 AM

See that is the misconception about bitcoin mining. Mining adjusts its difficulty according to the number of miners out there mining bitcoin, it will become less profitable if miners increase. But that would only happen if bitcoin price is very high, therefore mining remains profitable. The number of miners can never be to much unless bitcoin price rises by 50% until bitcoin block size is halved.
metenjean

Activity: 854
Merit: 140

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 08:40:20 AM

Logically speaking if the price of the goods you're selling is below the cost of production then you're surely losing money and as good as closing the production facility. But if you're still having faith in bitcoin, i dont think the price of it has falls below the cost of mining, either way you will still gain profits overtime but in the longer timeframe but you double the profits when price double like last month so it was still a win-win solution  Grin Grin
ghost424

Activity: 630
Merit: 103

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 08:53:33 AM

All we can do is hope that it regains its former price and still rise steadily. All the prices are still going down and some platforms are still continuing their programs. Mining is still efficient because you only use part of your CPU to sacrifice so you can gain something in return. If the price falls below the mining value then there will be more miners and wait for the price to rise again.
Tankdestroyer

Activity: 476
Merit: 107

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 08:56:12 AM

Satoshi thought and planned for it.

If the bitcoin price falls below the cost of mining, some miners will exit. It will temporarily cause block discovery to lengthen as the existing miners striuggle - but after 2400 blocks, the difficulty will adjust down. That means it's easier to mine. (The difficulty is directly linked to the cost of mining as you need many more miners to win a block when the difficulty is high).

Basically you'll get iterations of this till the cost of mining falls below the bitcoin price. If the bitcoin price fell to $1 I expect you'll be able to mine them with your laptop as the professional mining farms will have long given up.
But when would we see 1$ price again, If we really did see that price again I would definitely start mining bitcoins and believe that it would generate me a lot of profit in the future. Nevertheless, It is nice to see that satoshi have thought of a solution before vanishing out of nowhere. But what will happen if all bitcoins have been mined? Wouldn't that be very unprofitable for most of the miners out there?
Jlimao28

Activity: 266

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 10:01:00 AM

But what will happen if all bitcoins have been mined? Wouldn't that be very unprofitable for most of the miners out there?
If all bitcoins have been mined probably, miners will make some fees in the transaction for them to earn bitcoins. I think it will become unprofitable from the miners and the user will pay a large amount for their transaction to be processed.
Jake.bluees

Activity: 24

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 04:33:46 PM

I think it's positive, that this low has appeared because that clears the speculation. This fall is more linked to what happens with Tether and the future market than with anything else. I do not think it's down 80% because it's an established industry. But if it happened it would be a great fraud and lost worldwide for many investors, even companies that have bet on this new technology.
Komobit

Activity: 161
Merit: 8

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2018, 05:22:40 PM

There are the energy cost and that depends on each contry and there is the cost of 'computer processing' that you need. If less people mine bitcoin the processing power will decrease and when the algorithm review the dificulty of mining the cost will decrease. So, as others examples above, the market and the system will handle it's balance.
oddwh

Activity: 854
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 06:00:32 PM

Once this happens, some miners stop mining, this mosltly happens in countries where electricity is more expensive. Then, when the difficulty is re-ajusted and lowered, it's easier again to mine so mining can become profitable again.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
        ▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄▄
     ▄██▀▀             ▀▀██▄
    ██▀                   ▀██
   █▌                       ▐█
  █▌                         ▐█
 ▐█            ▄▄▄            █▌
 ██         ▄██▀▀▀██▄         ██
 ▄         ▐█▌     ▐█▌         ▄
███        █▌       ▐█        ███
 ▀   █▄    ▐█▌     ▐█▌    ▄█   ▀
   █▄  █▄   ▀██▄▄▄██▀   ▄█  ▄█
    ▀█   █▄    ▀▀▀    ▄█   █▀
      █▄   █▄       ▄█   ▄█
       ██    █  ▄  █    ██
         █▄    ███    ▄█
          ██    ▀    ██
            █▄  █  ▄█
             ██ █ ██
                ▄
               ███
                ▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
      ▄████████████▄
    ▄████████████████▄
   ████████████████████
  ██████████████████████
 ████████████████████████
▐████████████████████████▌
▐████████████████████████▌▀▀▀   ▀▀▀
 ████████████████████████
  ██████████████████████
   ██▀████████████▀██
    ▀██▀▀██████▀▀██▀
      ▀████████████▀
         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        
▄████████████▄     
▄████████████████▄   
████████████████████  
██████████████████████ 
 ████████████████████████
▄▄▄   ▄▄▄▐████████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
██████████████████████ 
████████████████████  
▀████████████████▀   
▀████████████▀     
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        
awawo

Activity: 406
Merit: 13

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 04:30:23 AM

If bitcoin price fall below the cost of mining it will be a great advantage to bitcoin users in the sense that many investors and big players in the mining activities will exist mining bitcoin giving chance to small investors like us to be able to mine bitcoin even with our laptop's because the blocks will be readily available to be harsh easily.
Bitcotalk

Activity: 966
Merit: 517

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 07:44:12 AM

Maybe bitcoin management are looking forward on what future positive results, that's why the price of bitcoin today is going down. Maybe it is only a strategic way by management so that bitcoin will cintinue their smooth flowing operation.
Basically when you are not producing even such profit that can help you to stand out of the lowest line for their manufacturing, then this business need to be dumped. But bitcoins have another case, this is like an exception. They are now decreasing and you can observe it, they have crossed $6k down there. This might be a strategy to cope up with the demand of time, may this would be true.
September11Myth

Activity: 387
Merit: 106

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 11:26:07 PM

Not only it happened in 2011, but it happened again in 2014, as far as I know. In 2014 I remember to have seem once expensive miners on sale for peanuts on ebay. Miners quit, others keep mining if they have very cheap or free energy. After a while there is a new equilibrium.

⚪ Byteball          I T   J U S T   W O R K S .   
Sending Crypto to Email   -   Risk-Free Conditional Smart Payments   -   ICO Platform with KYC
ANN THREAD                  TELEGRAM                     TWITTER                  MEDIUM                  SLACK                  REDDIT
Pintasak

Activity: 140
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 01, 2018, 12:00:44 AM

If the btc price falls below the cost of mining some miners will exit It will temporarily cause blockchains discoveries to lengthen as the existing miners striuggle

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: