Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:25:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: It has become an absolute joke  (Read 3800 times)
Zaih (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 12:15:34 AM
Last edit: September 05, 2013, 02:16:43 PM by Zaih

Buying out users signatures as advertisements is being taken to the next level. There is far too many of them. Literally every 2nd post contains a signature violently advertising a gambling site or something along those lines.

To a newcomer this honestly makes the forum & Bitcoin as a whole look like one big joke. A bunch of people who have such little self respect that they use their signature to advertise for a measly $20 or so worth of BTC.

Not to mention the negative affect this has on the management team of the forum in relation to the ad revenue. Why would you want to buy a couple of ad's for a week when you could buy 300 peoples signatures for a month for half the price.

Thoughts?

Edit: It has now come to the point where people buying these signature based advertisements are paying higher to people who make more posts in a select period of time. This is encouraging spam & now not only taking away from the forums from a visual perspective, but a content perspective.
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
peonminer

Activity: 798
Merit: 531

Crypto is King.

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 12:19:45 AM

you are entitled to your opinion no matter how ignorant I think you sound. Selling peoples signatures or renting peoples signatures helps the community as well as businesses grow, have you ever thought about that?
peonminer

Activity: 798
Merit: 531

Crypto is King.

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 12:21:01 AM

also, check the thread where the forum does Sell ads they sell them for a lot of money they have no problem selling them because there are a lot of power house companies that will drop the money immediately and will also out Bid other competitors for the ad.
Zaih (OP)

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 12:32:29 AM

best of luck in the raffle mate!

Move along.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 12:34:31 AM

also, check the thread where the forum does Sell ads they sell them for a lot of money they have no problem selling them because there are a lot of power house companies that will drop the money immediately and will also out Bid other competitors for the ad.
The funny thing is, forum ads don't account for even a fifth of the ads people see per thread.

I could do without all the colored crap turning my monitor into My Little Pony barf, but my eyes (and probably everyone elses') are trained to gloss right past text below the signature bar - so whatever.

(Maybe I don't write as well as I did, or lost all respect - but I was able to get 15 referral clicks in 2 months roughly a year and a half ago which has provided me a steady trickle of income. I tried the same referral link for about a month this year and accumulated 0 referrals.)
favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2013, 06:29:00 AM

thank me later Smiley

legendster

Activity: 1778
Merit: 764

www.V.systems

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 08:24:46 AM

Woot

██████████        ████████████
     ██████████        ██████████
       ██████████        ████████
         ██████████        ██████
           ██████████        ████
             ██████████        ██
               ██████████
                 ██████████
                   ████████
                     ██████
                       ████
                        ██
|
     ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█                 ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
 ▄▀                ▄▀█             ▄▀                ▄▀█
 ██████████    █             ██████████    █
 █                █                   █                █    █
 █                █     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█                █    █
 █                █  ▄▀             █                █  ▄▀
 ██████████▀                 ██████████▀
          █                                    █
          █                                    █
     ▄▀ █  ▀▀▀▀█                   ▄▀ █ ▀▀▀▀▀▀█
 ▄▀             ▄▀█               ▄▀               ▄▀ █
 █████████   █               ██████████    █
 █              █   █               █                █    █
 █              █   █               █                █    █
 █              █  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █                █  ▄▀
 █████████▀                  ██████████▀

Blockchain
Database
                             ▄▄▄
                         ▄▄▀  ▀▄▄
        ▄           ▄▄▀  ▄▀▄  ▀▄▄
      █▄█   █████████████████    █
        █     █                              █ ▄▀ ▌
        █     █        ▄    █   ▄         █▀ ▄▌
       ██    █      ▀▄   █    ▄▀       █▀█
       ▌ ▌   █            █                █  █
       ▌ ▌   █                              █  █
       ██    ███████████████████
                     ▀▀▄  ▀▄▀  ▄▀▀
                         ▀▀▄  ▄▀▀
                             ▀▀▀
Dev friendly
SDK Platform
                             ▄▄▄▄
                         ▄▄█    █▄▄
                     ▄▄█            █▄▄
                 ▄▄█       ▄▄▄       █▄▄
                 █       ▄▀      ▀▄       █
               █▀     █      █      █     ▀█
               ▀▀█  █   ▄█▀█▄   █  █▀▀
               █▀▀   █  ▀███▀  █   ▀▀█
               ▀▀█     █    █    █     █▀▀
                   ▀▀█   █  █  █   █▀▀
                       ▀████████▀
                           █▄▄▄▄█
                 █        █▄▄▄▄█      █
             ▄▀ █▄                   ▄█  ▀▄
            █   █▀▄         ▀      ▄▀█    █
           █   █  █  ▌      ▀   ▐  █  █    █
           █   █▄▀▄▌      ▀   ▐▄▀▄█    █
           █       █          ▀        █       █
        █▀▀▀▀▀▀█                █▀▀▀▀▀▀█
        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀                ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
User-friendly
Token Creation
|
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 09:39:56 AM

There is nothing wrong with sig ads IMO.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 01:10:50 PM

you are entitled to your opinion no matter how ignorant I think you sound.

blockchain.info that hoe!

Truly painful.

I could do without all the colored crap turning my monitor into My Little Pony barf, but my eyes (and probably everyone elses') are trained to gloss right past text below the signature bar - so whatever.

I'd be a lot happier with sigs in general if they couldn't be formatted, aside from links.

jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 01:24:44 PM

I'd be a lot happier with sigs in general if they couldn't be formatted, aside from links.
Agreed
This is never addressed though

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Zaih (OP)

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 01:37:06 PM

thank me later Smiley

2/3 of my arguments were completely unrelated to me.
Kouye

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 07:39:09 PM

Agreed
This is never addressed though

I completely agree too.
An option to disable signature formatting (set to true by default, for new users) would be enough for me.

People who fancy a 1%-house-edge-full-colored-big-letters ad for a "refreshing" break during a long thread read could still enable it.

Please, theymos! Roll Eyes

EDIT : To make you more comfortable with this, I can assure you a lot of polluting signatures stand out much more than your official ads.
Which, obviously, make the official ads worth much less.

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2013, 07:58:09 PM
Last edit: September 05, 2013, 11:27:39 AM by Lethn

I find ads annoying as fuck, but oddly enough, because they're in the signatures I hardly notice them, this website seems to be nice enough not to do the typical ones most advertisers do which are horrible where there's lots of flashing etc. to annoy you on purpose. I do think there should be limits on the use of colour though, if they're just plain text I'm rarely bothered by them. I also approve that more advertisers like Tradefortress are offering up much fairer terms than even normal advertisers because they aren't trying to force websites to accept commission based payments, I bet you PPC style advertisers are going to die off eventually because everybody hates them.

I've actually been tempted by some of them, but they'd have to offer more if they want to spam my webspace and signature like they do or they'd have to play by my rules.
whiskers75

Activity: 658
Merit: 502

Doesn't use these forums that often.

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 08:05:32 PM

We need an 'Ignore sig' button Smiley

Elastic.pw Elastic - The Decentralized Supercomputer
ELASTIC ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD | ELASTIC SLACK | ELASTIC FORUM
stormlighter

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 08:08:43 PM

@whiskers75

thank me later Smiley

Profile>Look and Layout Preferences>Don't show users' signatures.

Problem solved
Kouye

Activity: 336

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 08:09:30 PM

We need an 'Ignore sig' button Smiley

No, we don't, as it already exists.
I like to read people signatures, but just want them not to take a third of my small screen and catch my eyes with flashy blinking huge links pointing to scam gambling sites.

EDIT : stormlighter was faster. Wink

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
Darktongue

Activity: 574

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 09:06:43 PM

Buying out users signatures as advertisements is being taken to the next level. There is far too many of them. Literally every 2nd post contains a signature violently advertising a gambling site or something along those lines.

To a newcomer this honestly makes the forum & Bitcoin as a whole look like one big joke. A bunch of people who have such little self respect that they use their signature to advertise for a measly $20 or so worth of BTC.

Not to mention the negative affect this has on the management team of the forum in relation to the ad revenue. Why would you want to buy a couple of ad's for a week when you could buy 300 peoples signatures for a month for half the price.

Thoughts?

I agree that a number of people that post with ads. Are not by any means quality. Posters.  I have my moments burned into history.  But I actually try to most of the time add to the convo not.

"Derail brought to you by coinlenders."

I put an ad in my sig because I know the owner.  I know it's for the most part legitimate.  And I've been paid timely to just roll normal.  It's like an exra hundred or so dollars a year.  That does help when you have hobbys.

I think rules over time will change.  A posters ignored level will matter. .. LoL. quack shit usually doesn't fly period.  The problem will root itself out
axus

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 09:41:18 PM

Sigvertisements have never bothered me, I think it's cool that people can make a little money for something small and easy.  There can be confusion about what is a sig ad, and what is a forum ad.  This could make theymos's job harder if something illegal/viral is advertised, but as long as those are deleted I don't see a problem.

Maybe provide your own bitcoin forum that doesn't allow advertisements?  I hear that reddit is popular.
minimalB
Donator

Activity: 674
Merit: 522

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 10:23:12 PM

The only problem i have with signature ads is that some of them are "effin' HUGE", but as mentioned before, you can turn them off in profile preferences.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 10:29:47 PM

Literally every 2nd post contains a signature violently advertising a gambling site or something along those lines.
"violently advertising" wat?

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: