Bitcoin Forum
July 11, 2024, 09:12:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Shipchain airdrop - KYC???  (Read 316 times)
kriptonii1 (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 07:20:06 PM

Hey guys,

Recently I've applied for Shipchain airdrop. Today I received this message:
"ShipChain have asked us to verify your identity as part of their screening process. In order to proceed, you need to complete the following online form.

What do I need to do?

Please enter your details by visiting the following secure link:
We recommend completing the form on a computer or tablet for the best experience

Click here to verify your identity"

IT IS A KYC application, wow!

So, anyone else have received such an email? I tried to confirm authenticity in the Shipchain telegram, but no admin replied.

Thanks for your thoughts and opinion!

P.S. Sorry if there is another thread regarding this topic.
melamiras

Activity: 230
Merit: 14

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 07:43:32 PM
Merited by sister1001 (1)

I would strongly advise against any KYC for airdrops. Most likely it is a scam and likely to end up with your personal ID, mail and all the information scattered all over the Dark Web. Even if you go to an ICO think carefully if you trust the KYC company.

I recently got "subscribed" to a service using PayPal because someone got my email address and my data. Fortunately, I don´t have a paypal account in that email, but if not I would be paying who knows how much for nothing and whoever sent my data would probably get a referral fee for it.

I believe you can trust BitcoinSuisse and Onfido. Anything else... doubtful.
kriptonii1 (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 09:29:55 AM

I would strongly advise against any KYC for airdrops. Most likely it is a scam and likely to end up with your personal ID, mail and all the information scattered all over the Dark Web. Even if you go to an ICO think carefully if you trust the KYC company.

I recently got "subscribed" to a service using PayPal because someone got my email address and my data. Fortunately, I don´t have a paypal account in that email, but if not I would be paying who knows how much for nothing and whoever sent my data would probably get a referral fee for it.

I believe you can trust BitcoinSuisse and Onfido. Anything else... doubtful.

Thanks for your answer! Smiley

More or less, I wanted to know if it is a scam. I won't give my passport for some pennies, I will pass. Seems KYC for airdrop is becoming more and more mainstream - aweful trend.

Take care and good luck!
papagapa

Activity: 392
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 11:42:24 AM

I did not meet such airdrops, which on the day of drop send such messages. If you are requesting data about a card or an online wallet, then it’s definitely a scam!
pharaon

Activity: 753
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 11:48:58 AM

Hey guys,

"ShipChain have asked us to verify your identity as part of their screening process. In order to proceed, you need to complete the following online form.

What do I need to do?

We recommend completing the form on a computer or tablet for the best experience

So, anyone else have received such an email? I tried to confirm authenticity in the Shipchain telegram, but no admin replied.

There is nothing surprising in this. Now there are more cases with the passage of KYC in ICO and in airdrop. One example of airdrop with the passage of KYC is Polymath. So everywhere there is a risk, the choice is yours.
tahmad

Activity: 252
Merit: 14

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 11:55:56 AM

Don't post anything with your credential datas such your identity card, mobile number and etc like that just for airdrop.
It's very risky for all your accounts
kaya11

Activity: 1330
Merit: 110

SOL.BIOKRIPT.COM

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 12:03:43 PM

Hey guys,

What do I need to do?

There is nothing surprising in this. Now there are more cases with the passage of KYC in ICO and in airdrop. One example of airdrop with the passage of KYC is Polymath. So everywhere there is a risk, the choice is yours.

I have signed up to their airdrop and received the 250 Polymath token, it's nice when it's free but thinking of it now it was also risky that I have send my information to their data base. But I guess if they use it in malicious intent then I would probably call a lawyer and sue them. It would cost money though but I have a friend and I think he would help me.

There's a project that is now ongoing and haven't done their ICO yet.Their project is all about passing ICO KYC checks, and it's based on Blockchain. This  was something to think of and I realize they have a great Idea and plan ahead.

NetfetMiningCompany

Activity: 315
Merit: 8

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 06:51:20 PM

It asks for a passport or license. Screw that. I was kind of ok until they wanted actual documentation. Obviously crooks.

veil                            /////  PRIVACY WITHOUT COMPROMISE.  /////
https://veil-project.com/
Murloc

Activity: 322
Merit: 103

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 07:12:05 PM

Snipchain seems to be an absolutely legit project. I've got no idea why are you caring about your ID data that much. Those king of data can be easily find in darknet for 5$ per package. Besides those ICO there are thousands of people that have access to your personal information. For example if people that work in ID issuing governmental structures could ger 1$ per pic of 1 ID then I guess the could already be rich AF. Everything about the ID theft is not realy your problem. It is a headache of the service that accepted those data. You can drop all responsibilities from yourself just by sending the e-mail to that service saying like "guys, it's not me" and no one will have any questions to you. Ofc it is a stupid move to mindlessly send your ID to every shady ICO but it is way more stupid to keep it while thousands of people are already have an access to it.

NetfetMiningCompany

Activity: 315
Merit: 8

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 07:17:14 PM

That really has no tangible logic to it whatsoever. They can get it anyway, so send it without knowing why? They don't even mention why they need it. I think you really need to take a look at what you just said. You even say it yourself....."seems like a legit project"...Well seems to be isnt good enough for full on photo documentation for an airdrop. I have no idea why anyone would declare that stupid, but hey, you see something new everyday.

veil                            /////  PRIVACY WITHOUT COMPROMISE.  /////
https://veil-project.com/
MaiQwaN

Activity: 1036
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 07:29:19 PM

Often, only very weak projects declare the aidrop. If at the same time, these projects require you to provide personal data in order to receive these weak coins, then this is close to fraud.
muhdatha

Activity: 168
Merit: 11

Betrium 🎾 Worldwide Betting Exchange

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 07:29:36 PM

Why airdrops doing it? If somebody wants to spent his funds - ok, in this case KYC may be useful. For secure his investitions firstly.
When a bountist or an airdrop-dude takes some tokens for free what is the reason for KYC procedure?

gyun.094

Activity: 178
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 08:20:47 PM

I also received a letter from Shipchain today, I just deleted this letter and did not do anything.
Hanvis

Activity: 714
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 09:21:56 PM

I wanted to participate in Shipchain airdrop, but after I saw KYC verification, I realized that it is better for me to miss. Otherwise, having your data, scammers can clean you up, or steal your account.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: