Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:59:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The beginner's guide on how to not get SCAMMED with cryptocurrency  (Read 287 times)
stefarion (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 10:38:11 AM
Last edit: February 07, 2018, 07:44:12 PM by stefarion
Merited by al1n (1)

[EDIT 2/7/2018] I will constantly update this post in order to include the best tips that you guys provide here. Your contribution will be added as a quote of your post. Let's make this an awesome resource for all crypto-investors, so that scammers will find it much more difficult to fool people! [/EDIT]

The purpose of this thread is to help beginners to stay safe in the cryptocurrency world. I think that as the cryptocurrency adoption widens, more and more non-technical users are making their first steps in this direction. Unfortunately, they are vulnerable in the face of so many clever scammers, who thrive on their lack of knowledge and awareness.

Let’s keep this a serious discussion and try to expose the most common scams beginners fall for nowadays. Please refrain from promoting services of any kind. It is ok to share some relevant tools which could help protect people from being scammed, but remember that the purpose of this thread is to increase the awareness regarding crypto scams.

My point is that if we help people who just now are starting with cryptocurrency become more educated, so that they could have a positive experience, then we will be one step closer to mass-adoption of cryptocurrency. On the other hand, it pisses me off that some scammers become rich at the expense of naive newbies. No to say how annoying it is when these newbies then give up on crypto and complain that everything regarding this domain is a scam, discouraging others from investing.

1. To start, I guess that the most common scam these days is the one circulating on Twitter. Let’s just call it “The reward the community SCAM”.

It goes like this:
- The scammer creates multiple fake accounts of influential people of the cryptocurrency world. They misspell the name, but only by a letter or two, so that people might mistakenly believe the acount is real. For instance, instead of “officialmcafee” they will write “officiaImcafee”. The difference is that instead of the “l” is an uppercase “i”. Then, they copy the profile picture and some posts of the target profile.
- Each time the target profile tweets something, the fake profile will respond (usually within a second, thanks to a bot) to that tweet with a text like this one below:

Another one:

It’s still amazes me how some people can be so naive. Believe it or not, lots of people fall for this and send money to the scammer. Of course, they never get anything back. When you encounter such scams, do your good deed of the day and report them to twitter at once. For amusement, you can check their address, to see how many gullible people fell for it. Some scammers made thousands of $ with this.

The takeaway from this is:
 - People don't just donate their cryptocurrencies.
 - Always check if the post belongs to the real profile. Look for the little check mark sitting right next to the name of the profile owner. If it exists, it means it has been verified by Twitter and it belongs to the respective person or organization. If not, stay away!
 - Don't rush into receiving free stuff. Usually that's not the case and you will get scammed.

2. ICO scams. Unfortunately, lately there have been some good ICOs that got hacked during the sale, so that the contribution address was changed by the hacker. In other cases, the emails of whitelisted people got into the wrong hands, so that scammers sent phishing emails to all who subscribed for the sale. The result: millions of dollars stolen. Read more about this here:
https://news.bitcoin.com/neo-icos-make-a-shaky-start/
https://news.bitcoin.com/the-bee-token-crowdsale-stung-by-400k-phishing-scam/

In other cases, fake twitter accounts of popular ICOs posted messages after the sale closed that, due to popular request, the sale has been reopened and they also provied an address to contribute. Such was the case with Arcblock, for which the public sale closed whithin minutes. A scammer managed to get a few millions of dollars from naive investors using this method. I wish I made a printscreen then.

- When visiting an ICO website, make sure you are on the right one (do some research, you’ll figure it out!). If you want to participate in the sale, bookmark it and only visit it again from the bookmarks. Don’t forget to check in your browser, left of the website address, if it’s secure.

- Only contribute to the address provided on the website (the right one). NEVER ever contribute to an address which was provided on email, twitter, reddit etc. Also, don’t follow links from any of these sources, to make sure that you don’t become a phishing victim. Remember, only acces the ICO website from your bookmarks.
- Remember that scammers are very creative, so that they will always come with new ways to try and take your money. Always check and double check whether you are contributing to the right address. If you have any doubts, just don’t do it. Better safe than sorry!

When researching an ICO, a good way to determine whether the project is legit or a scam is to:
verify the team through social media etc. I think team should make a video at least. Team members is the best important thing in projects.

It would be amazing if the more experienced members of this community shared on this thread their advice on good practices when dealing with crypto. Let’s try to keep this discussion on point and make cryptocurrencies safe for new and inexperienced users!

PS: If all you got from this thread is some ‘great ideas’ on how to scam people, then I hope karma will be unmerciful on you and that there is a special place in hell (or whatever it is called in other religions) / prison (for atheists).

CrowdToken ICO BOUNTY - 500 000 free CRTK tokens for the winner, others share another 2mil. CRTKs

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fileo

Activity: 658
Merit: 10

Rangers Protocol

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 10:59:08 AM

If this is for beginners why post here.? Better post this in beginners and help section.

By the way you have great heart to reach out new comers not to get scam.

|   Facebook   |     Twitter     |                    R A N G E R S                    |    Discord    |    Medium    |
|    Telegram    |                    ─────     PROTOCOL     ─────                    |    Gitbook    |
████  ███  ██  █          VIRTUAL WORLDS BLOCKCHAIN INFRASTRUCTURE          █  ██  ███  ████
blok

Activity: 93
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 11:02:33 AM

Thanks for that, pretty helpful to the new guys.
Yunica321

Activity: 27
Merit: 5

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 11:11:36 AM

thank you for sharing the information. this can help the beginners.
AlexZHankok

Activity: 336
Merit: 92

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2018, 11:17:28 AM

It's well written about Twitter. It is advisable to write down the rest of the rules about investing in ICO and analyzing upcoming projects. Then this article will be an excellent guide for beginners.

stefarion (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 12:47:22 PM

I'm glad you guys find this information useful.

If this is for beginners why post here.? Better post this in beginners and help section.

You're probably right, I'm considering asking a mod to move the thread there, maybe it will get more exposure.

It's well written about Twitter. It is advisable to write down the rest of the rules about investing in ICO and analyzing upcoming projects. Then this article will be an excellent guide for beginners.
You mean making a complete guide on how to invest in ICO's and review upcoming projects? For now, my intention is to raise the awareness of beginners, because it simply pisses me off when scammers get away with naive people's money.

CrowdToken ICO BOUNTY - 500 000 free CRTK tokens for the winner, others share another 2mil. CRTKs
rsmith30

Activity: 8

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 12:49:26 PM

People should also look at this awesome site, it is valid to other similar offerings www.whalegate.org
stefarion (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 01:08:05 PM

People should also look at this awesome site, it is valid to other similar offerings www.whalegate.org

What's wrong with you? You made a thread ( https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2875554 ) where you accused that website of being a scam and now you say it's awesome?

Tynovten_

Activity: 420
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 02:28:55 PM

What's wrong with you? You made a thread ( https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2875554 ) where you accused that website of being a scam and now you say it's awesome?

Wow there is unique thing happen when he says that's scam in his thread then he says that is awesome thing in his comment. And he's detail enough on giving the reason that is scam. But thus time he says that is an amazing project. Does he want to add the victim.

stefarion (OP)

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 05:33:38 PM

It seems there is a harsh competition among scammers  Cheesy. Check this printscreen I just made:

neuraminidase7

Activity: 32

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 05:40:26 PM

ICOs are the main source of scam. Don't fall in to ICOs before search.
vipercps

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

The market of algorithmic crypto trading strategie

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2018, 05:42:11 PM

Thanks to users like you the internet thrives thanks for all your collaboration I believe a lot in Your tips and I will follow them step by step lazy to type

██
                           ██████
                         █████████
                      █████████████
                    █████████████████
                      █████████████████
                       █████████████████
              ███        █████████████████
            ██████        █████████████████
          ██████████        █████████████████
       ██████████████        █████████████████
      █████████████████        █████████████████
       █████████████████        ████████████████
        █████████████████        █████████████
          █████████████████        █████████
           █████████████████        ██████
             █████████████████        ██
              █████████████████      
                █████████████████      
                 █████████████████      
                   █████████████████      
                    █████████████████      
                      █████████████████      
                       █████████████████      
                         █████████████████      
               ███        █████████████████
             ██████         █████████████████
           ██████████        █████████████████
         █████████████         █████████████████
          █████████████████        ███████████████
            █████████████████        ███████████
             █████████████████        ███████
               █████████████████        ███
                █████████████████
                  ████████████████
                   █████████████████
                     █████████████
                      ██████████
                        ██████
                         ██

●●  VISUAL STRATEGY BUILDER  ●● BOUNTY | ANN | WHITEPAPER 
●●  FOR CRYPTOTRADING  ●●●●●●●● TELEGRAM | FACEBOOK | TWITTER 
         ALGORITHMIC TRADING | STRATEGY OPTIMIZATION | COPY TRADING
99th

Activity: 196
Merit: 22

Las Vegas

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 05:50:21 PM

I agree with this: it would probably be best to post this in the Beginners and Help section. Decent write up, but this would probably get more use and be more helpful if in the right part of the forums.
dvsrydin

Activity: 48

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 05:55:13 PM

Thanks for the post!
swissgang

Activity: 462
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2018, 06:00:11 PM

Thanks for this guide, I think it is best to verify the team through social media etc. I think team should make a video at least. Team members is the best important thing in projects.

yoyolife121

Activity: 189

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 06:02:54 PM

The purpose of this thread is to help beginners to stay safe in the cryptocurrency world. I think that as the cryptocurrency adoption widens, more and more non-technical users are making their first steps in this direction. Unfortunately, they are vulnerable in the face of so many clever scammers, who thrive on their lack of knowledge and awareness.

Let’s keep this a serious discussion and try to expose the most common scams beginners fall for nowadays. Please refrain from promoting services of any kind. It is ok to share some relevant tools which could help protect people from being scammed, but remember that the purpose of this thread is to increase the awareness regarding crypto scams.

My point is that if we help people who just now are starting with cryptocurrency become more educated, so that they could have a positive experience, then we will be one step closer to mass-adoption of cryptocurrency. On the other hand, it pisses me off that some scammers become rich at the expense of naive newbies. No to say how annoying it is when these newbies then give up on crypto and complain that everything regarding this domain is a scam, discouraging others from investing.

1. To start, I guess that the most common scam these days is the one circulating on Twitter. Let’s just call it “The reward the community SCAM”.

It goes like this:
- The scammer creates multiple fake accounts of influential people of the cryptocurrency world. They misspell the name, but only by a letter or two, so that people might mistakenly believe the acount is real. For instance, instead of “officialmcafee” they will write “officiaImcafee”. The difference is that instead of the “l” is an uppercase “i”. Then, they copy the profile picture and some posts of the target profile.
- Each time the target profile tweets something, the fake profile will respond (usually within a second, thanks to a bot) to that tweet with a text like this one below:
https://imgur.com/XFCLhS1
Another one:
https://i.imgur.com/CdrVPy9.jpg
It’s still amazes me how some people can be so naive. Believe it or not, lots of people fall for this and send money to the scammer. Of course, they never get anything back. When you encounter such scams, do your good deed of the day and report them to twitter at once. For amusement, you can check their address, to see how many gullible people fell for it. Some scammers made thousands of $ with this.

- Always check if the post belongs to the real profile. Look for the little check mark sitting right next to the name of the profile owner. If it exists, it means it has been verified by Twitter and it belongs to the respective person or organization. If not, stay away!
 - Don't rush into receiving free stuff. Usually that's not the case and you will get scammed.

2. ICO scams. Unfortunately, lately there have been some good ICOs that got hacked during the sale, so that the contribution address was changed by the hacker. In other cases, the emails of whitelisted people got into the wrong hands, so that scammers sent phishing emails to all who subscribed for the sale. The result: millions of dollars stolen. Read more about this here:

In other cases, fake twitter accounts of popular ICOs posted messages after the sale closed that, due to popular request, the sale has been reopened and they also provied an address to contribute. Such was the case with Arcblock, for which the public sale closed whithin minutes. A scammer managed to get a few millions of dollars from naive investors using this method. I wish I made a printscreen then.

- When visiting an ICO website, make sure you are on the right one (do some research, you’ll figure it out!). If you want to participate in the sale, bookmark it and only visit it again from the bookmarks. Don’t forget to check in your browser, left of the website address, if it’s secure.
https://i.imgur.com/1ekc6he.jpg
- Only contribute to the address provided on the website (the right one). NEVER ever contribute to an address which was provided on email, twitter, reddit etc. Also, don’t follow links from any of these sources, to make sure that you don’t become a phishing victim. Remember, only acces the ICO website from your bookmarks.
- Remember that scammers are very creative, so that they will always come with new ways to try and take your money. Always check and double check whether you are contributing to the right address. If you have any doubts, just don’t do it. Better safe than sorry!

It would be amazing if the more experienced members of this community shared on this thread their advice on good practices when dealing with crypto. Let’s try to keep this discussion on point and make cryptocurrencies safe for new and inexperienced users!

PS: If all you got from this thread is some ‘great ideas’ on how to scam people, then I hope karma will be unmerciful on you and that there is a special place in hell (or whatever it is called in other religions) / prison (for atheists).

nice share pretty good information
photo123

Activity: 198

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 06:03:25 PM

It goes like this:
https://imgur.com/XFCLhS1
Another one:
https://i.imgur.com/CdrVPy9.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/1ekc6he.jpg

thanks for posting this great information here
Nana_Marini

Activity: 392
Merit: 103

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 06:15:20 PM

The manager always update about progress the ICO is one of sign to detect the ICO success. It is my experience and proved right. We can asking some questions to dev.  So, we know the progress of ICO Smiley
stefarion (OP)

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 07:48:37 PM

Thanks for this guide, I think it is best to verify the team through social media etc. I think team should make a video at least. Team members is the best important thing in projects.

Great tip! I added this to the original post as a quote. From now on, I will add useful tips, such as yours, to the original post.

I agree with this: it would probably be best to post this in the Beginners and Help section. Decent write up, but this would probably get more use and be more helpful if in the right part of the forums.

I already messaged a mod to move it, but he replied that it fits better here. Consequently, it will remain where it is.

gustavroy

Activity: 450
Merit: 122

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 08:14:43 PM

you start a good head but you should do it at beginners/help section.Moderator could relocate the thread.you spent much effort.This thread can be useful for everybody
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: