Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 05:17:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What is your average mining speed currently?
< 100 MH/s - 9 (5.2%)
100 - 200 MH/s - 6 (3.5%)
200 - 400 MH/s - 22 (12.7%)
400 - 600 MH/s - 12 (6.9%)
600 - 800 MH/s - 13 (7.5%)
800 MH/s - 1 GH/s - 14 (8.1%)
1 - 5 GH/s - 78 (45.1%)
5 - 10 GH/s - 12 (6.9%)
10 - 50 GH/s - 5 (2.9%)
> 50 GH/s - 2 (1.2%)
Total Voters: 173

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is your mining speed?  (Read 3565 times)
supersonic3974 (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 04:05:43 PM

I'm expecting there will be a nice bell curve, with an emphasis on the lower speeds.  Feel free to change your vote if you change or modify your mining hardware.  Have fun!   Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ampkZjWDQcqT

GNU is not UNIX

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 04:14:25 PM

Why you didn't just used a log scale?. This is nosense.

If you found my comment useful please express your gratitude by doing an action of similar magnitude towards a better society. Thanks you!.
supersonic3974 (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 04:17:00 PM

Why you didn't just used a log scale?. This is nosense.

Because then I would only have 10 MH/s, 100 MH/s, 1 GH/s, and 10 GH/s.  And that wouldn't give very many options.
ampkZjWDQcqT

GNU is not UNIX

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 04:26:52 PM

No. A logarithmic scale can be divided as finer or as coarser as you wish.

If you found my comment useful please express your gratitude by doing an action of similar magnitude towards a better society. Thanks you!.
supersonic3974 (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 04:30:10 PM

I tried to make the divisions so that they would separate the most commonly reported hashrates.  Why would I want to use a log scale for this?  Why would the hashrates of different miners fall into a logarithmic pattern?
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 04:31:40 PM

Roughly around 1400mhs . Hope to be by 10GHs by the end of December.
ampkZjWDQcqT

GNU is not UNIX

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 04:39:16 PM

If you already know approximately the distribution of the hashrates then this poll isn't going to tell you anything new. A logarithmic scale don't needs a logarithmic distribution to make sense. The irregularities of a graph in a regular scale convey useful information, irregular distributions in an irregular scale don't. Pick any book about basic statics!.

supersonic3974 (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 04:43:08 PM

If you already know approximately the distribution of the hashrates then this poll isn't going to tell you anything new. A logarithmic scale don't needs a logarithmic distribution to make sense. The irregularities of a graph in a regular scale convey useful information, irregular distributions in an irregular scale don't. Pick any book about basic statics!.

This is just a poll for fun.  And yes, you can still get useful information from an irregular scale.  I've taken Statics, but I think you meant to say Statistics.
ampkZjWDQcqT

GNU is not UNIX

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 04:48:15 PM

Indeed, thanks for the correction. Smiley

NetTecture

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 07:51:45 PM

It does not he a timeline though Wink

I have 2x5770 + 3x 6970 mining Wink

I have 5 x6970 coming next week.

I have 32 x 6970 coming the week after Wink

And I have 40 x 6970 coming 2 weeks after Wink
AngelusWebDesign

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 08:21:31 PM

Do you know something the rest of us don't?

Just hoping Bitcoin rockets up in price, eh? 

And you must be hosting those rigs in a building outside your home -- you can't exactly draw that much power at a residence.

I mean, there are plenty of guys on here content to make "a little", mine for fun, mine to pay for a % of new hardware which will be used for gaming, etc.
But you're obviously in this as a business, to make money plain and simple.

The 130-150 day payoff doesn't hold you back at all?

Besides the fact you physically won't be able to get your money back for 4 or 5 months (with no difficulty increases), we're also not factoring in the value of one's time -- I mean, unless you're unemployed, it's going to take some of your otherwise productive time to build all those rigs.

It made sense in late May when profitability was through the roof -- it WAS worth one's time to build and mess with rigs.

But now, it only makes sense for EXISTING operations to continue, perhaps strategically expand here and there.  Mining just isn't THAT profitable anymore, and it's still plenty risky.

Has anyone noticed that BTC haven't been over $14.20 for several days? And now the price is finally moving -- to $13.80.

Like I said, risky. Risking a few hundred bucks makes sense. But starting a business -- this late in the game? A bit foolhardy if you ask me.
Maxim Gladkov

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2011, 08:33:55 PM

2x 6990's —> 1500-1600 Mhash/s Tongue
NetTecture

Activity: 140

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 08:41:04 PM

And you must be hosting those rigs in a building outside your home -- you can't exactly draw that much power at a residence.

I mean, there are plenty of guys on here content to make "a little", mine for fun, mine to pay for a % of new hardware which will be used for gaming, etc.

Besides the fact you physically won't be able to get your money back for 4 or 5 months (with no difficulty increases), we're also not factoring in the value of one's time -- I mean, unless you're unemployed, it's going to take some of your otherwise productive time to build all those rigs.

It made sense in late May when profitability was through the roof -- it WAS worth one's time to build and mess with rigs.

But now, it only makes sense for EXISTING operations to continue, perhaps strategically expand here and there.  Mining just isn't THAT profitable anymore, and it's still plenty risky.

Has anyone noticed that BTC haven't been over $14.20 for several days? And now the price is finally moving -- to $13.80.

Like I said, risky. Risking a few hundred bucks makes sense. But starting a business -- this late in the game? A bit foolhardy if you ask me.

Well, lets jsut say it is less risky than some of the other items. I have the hugh luck to actualyl run a business Wink Result is that I now buy wholesale.

This is my "dc-0" plan that long looked for a reason to go into existence. I need some volume to make it worthwhile, including having industrial power which where I am requires me to take 63 amps and some minimum amount Wink

Plus I am not unemployed - to a degree where I can be happy to say that this whole oder if it is a total loss is a dent in my income for this year, but one that is... manageable. Time? Yes, 2 people working on that full time at the moment Wink

I dont really see that as "end of the line". The goal is to add a half rack (8 computers) every month for the foreseeable future, more and more financed by the mining income.

If it fails I am stuck with
* A lot of hardware to sell of
* A decent tax write off
* An experience that cost me maybe 2 months savings

Wink Not all that bad. The worst is a total crash in a month that measn I have no real write off but used hardware Wink And a really good experience. I may take chance to move that into an import business Wink

If I am right, I run this into the 16 full rack (16 computers each) setup next year.
Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 09:00:58 PM

IMHO it has always been risky getting into mining.  At this point in the game though there's significantly less risk than there was for early adopters.  At least now your gains/losses can be somewhat accurately gauged, whereas back then it was a total gamble.

Mousepotato
bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 09:47:32 PM

All investment of any kind is risk. Bitcoin mining is one of the least risky I've seen. In fact if I were less lazy I could essentially finance a huge undertaking like NetTecture, without use of almost any personal savings, and it would require bitcoin to crash and burn almost completely within about a month of my purchase for me to be out any significant capital. And to be fair, 40 6970s (I can't buy wholesale like he can, but I'll use his numbers) is essentially a job.

I enjoy bitcoin, but not enough to devote that kind of time to it however. Close, but not quite. If I didn't have to move states I might consider it heh.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2011, 10:15:07 PM

Well, lets jsut say it is less risky than some of the other items. I have the hugh luck to actualyl run a business Wink Result is that I now buy wholesale.

This is my "dc-0" plan that long looked for a reason to go into existence. I need some volume to make it worthwhile, including having industrial power which where I am requires me to take 63 amps and some minimum amount Wink

Plus I am not unemployed - to a degree where I can be happy to say that this whole oder if it is a total loss is a dent in my income for this year, but one that is... manageable. Time? Yes, 2 people working on that full time at the moment Wink

I dont really see that as "end of the line". The goal is to add a half rack (8 computers) every month for the foreseeable future, more and more financed by the mining income.

If it fails I am stuck with
* A lot of hardware to sell of
* A decent tax write off
* An experience that cost me maybe 2 months savings

Wink Not all that bad. The worst is a total crash in a month that measn I have no real write off but used hardware Wink And a really good experience. I may take chance to move that into an import business Wink

If I am right, I run this into the 16 full rack (16 computers each) setup next year.

Wholesale is not really that much cheaper then mail order.  In many cases, newegg=wholesale or within 5%. 

There really is no scenario where buying that much hardware NOW will pay off better then buying bitcoins.  The only way you could come out ahead is if difficulty goes down dramatically while price stays the same.  That simply will not happen.

If you buy JUST a video card and put it in an existing system it may pay off.  Buying a system you already wanted and putting it to mining can take down some of your purchase cost and make it worthwhile.  Buying a bulk load of systems can not pay off anymore.  You will loose more in depreciation then you will make back in the first few months.  Over the longer term the payout will be lower and lower and will not ever cover the full price of the hardware+electricity.

triforcelink

Activity: 112

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 10:29:04 PM

Currently at about 1GH/s will be at 2GH/s in about a week.

Kartoff

Activity: 187

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 11:00:33 PM
Last edit: July 14, 2011, 11:21:02 PM by Kartoff

Only 12 Gh/s... 2-3 Gh/s more coming soon these days... Wating for 5970 and couple of 5870's to arrive  Grin

But now, it only makes sense for EXISTING operations to continue, perhaps strategically expand here and there.  Mining just isn't THAT profitable anymore, and it's still plenty risky.

All you said sound total nonsense to me  Huh So if i listen what you say i will achieve nothing... I am unemployed and this is my chance to gather money at the moment then i have to do this and to buy equipment as much as i can... Now i am considering about making about 500pcs. of 5830 order soon... 6 months payoff is perfect in many ways so i cant understand why you are so scared of 130-150 days ?!?!?
Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 11:07:57 PM

If you buy JUST a video card and put it in an existing system it may pay off.  Buying a system you already wanted and putting it to mining can take down some of your purchase cost and make it worthwhile.  Buying a bulk load of systems can not pay off anymore.  You will loose more in depreciation then you will make back in the first few months.  Over the longer term the payout will be lower and lower and will not ever cover the full price of the hardware+electricity.

Careful there.  Sounds an awful lot like you're predicting difficulty and the price of the BTC.

Mousepotato
XRcode

Activity: 134

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 02:12:44 AM

Six 6970s @ 420Mhash each.

2.52Ghash
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: