Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 12:49:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin is becoming less and less adopted...  (Read 6149 times)
Conqueror
Legendary

Activity: 1354
Merit: 1020

I was diagnosed with brain parasite

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 05:22:01 PM

I strongly dissagree, its getting mainstream more and more from my point of view.
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 05:37:57 PM

I strongly dissagree, its getting mainstream more and more from my point of view.

That's true, more and more, but rate of the growth can't outpace growth of population. Today we all like Alice in Wonderland have to run to stay on the same place.
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2013, 11:19:27 PM

If you select the log scale you will see the trend-line shows the number of Bitcoin users doubling every year. I am fairly certain the world population is growing at slower rate. Looks like there was a large peak in the spring. They'll be back.

Where could I see these numbers?

On the left-hand side of that chart you linked to. Selecting the log scale simply converts exponential growth into a straight line so that you can clearly see the rate of growth with a trend-line.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
sevenVII

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 12:44:44 AM

The obvious solution is to kill those who refuse to adopt bitcoins, duh.

(sarcasm disclaimer: please don't kill anyone.)
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 06:43:52 AM

The obvious solution is to kill those who refuse to adopt bitcoins, duh.

(sarcasm disclaimer: please don't kill anyone.)

Pfft, lets just kill everyone and then all our problems would be solved Tongue

MoneyGod

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 06:46:48 AM

nobody is really interested in bitcoins, everybody is only interested in trying to double his money through bitcoin Sad

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4606
Merit: 1276

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 06:59:35 AM

Bitcoin is an unnecessary toy and interesting diversion at this point.  Some people playing with it are green and some red, but it's simply not competitive in most arenas with mainstream systems for a variety of reasons.  If/when that equation changes, I've always predicted that it will have little to do with Bitcoin and everything to do with mainstream financial systems.  The latter fracturing of course.  This is entirely possible, and (IMHO) pretty much inevitable on a long enough time horizon.  At that point Bitcoin will simply explode in popularity and value.  Or something like it will depending on what is out there at the time and robust enough to overcome the strains and stresses.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
amencon

Activity: 410

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 10:43:33 AM

Percentage-wise (the only relevant measure), Bitcoiners are growing much faster than global population.

True bitcoiners follow the advice of Mr. Nakamoto and use a new address each time, so it's hard to assess real numbers. But let's assume that each day roughly 100'000 new users join us (110k is the extremum on http://blockchain.info/charts/n-unique-addresses). Today the world population has been increased by 200'000 persons (350k born, 150k died). Tomorrow 200k will become 201k, then 202k and so on. Each day number of NON-bitcoiners becomes higher. Looks like a Zeno's paradox, doesn't it? Wink
Using your example, where each day 50% the number of new people in the world equals new bitcoin adopters, if that growth stayed steady then as the population approaches infinity the percentage of bitcoin users of the population would approach 50%.  50% is bigger than the percentage today.  Even using your ridiculous numbers and assumptions as a thought experiment I'm still not really sure what your getting at and the title to your thread still sounds wrong.
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 11:38:31 AM

Percentage-wise (the only relevant measure), Bitcoiners are growing much faster than global population.

True bitcoiners follow the advice of Mr. Nakamoto and use a new address each time, so it's hard to assess real numbers. But let's assume that each day roughly 100'000 new users join us (110k is the extremum on http://blockchain.info/charts/n-unique-addresses). Today the world population has been increased by 200'000 persons (350k born, 150k died). Tomorrow 200k will become 201k, then 202k and so on. Each day number of NON-bitcoiners becomes higher. Looks like a Zeno's paradox, doesn't it? Wink
Using your example, where each day 50% the number of new people in the world equals new bitcoin adopters, if that growth stayed steady then as the population approaches infinity the percentage of bitcoin users of the population would approach 50%.  50% is bigger than the percentage today.  Even using your ridiculous numbers and assumptions as a thought experiment I'm still not really sure what your getting at and the title to your thread still sounds wrong.

Tomorrow only 49% of the population will become bitcoiners. Then 48%, 47%, ... The title sounds correct to me.
amencon

Activity: 410

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 09:15:19 PM

Tomorrow only 49% of the population will become bitcoiners. Then 48%, 47%, ... The title sounds correct to me.
Why would that happen?  Where are the numbers to show the rate of growth day over day is higher for total population than bitcoin adoption?  In your example why would the 200k number go up each day but the 100k number stay flat?  You haven't shown this to be the likely case by any measure.
eafdeafd

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 09:45:32 PM

nobody is really interested in bitcoins, everybody is only interested in trying to double his money through bitcoin Sad

Eh. I don't entirely agree there. It's true that many people see Bitcoin as a get-rich-scheme. But I'm sure that there are many people (such as myself) who are interested in BTC itself. It's a really interesting and novel currency.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 09:48:10 PM

Eh. I don't entirely agree there. It's true that many people see Bitcoin as a get-rich-scheme. But I'm sure that there are many people (such as myself) who are interested in BTC itself. It's a really interesting and novel currency.

Yes, you're not alone there; Bitcoin is a revolutionary technology, and much more than just a currency to speculate on.

Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 10:11:01 PM

In your example why would the 200k number go up each day but the 100k number stay flat?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbolic_growth#Population

http://blockchain.info/charts/n-unique-addresses

PS: I think that's because

male + female leads to male + female + child

but

bitcoiner + bitcoiner doesn't lead to 3 bitcoiners

Smiley
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 10:16:00 PM

Nice link-quote bot you have there, is it markov chain based? Doesn't seem to include any real logical reasoning though.

Here's a link to chew on - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradigm_shift

It will come in handy later.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
Moogle

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

KUPO!

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2013, 10:33:00 PM

Bitcoin is a waste of time.

It is only good for turning $ into more $.

Nobody is really interested in Bitcoins, everybody is only interested in making more $ through Bitcoin.

There are plenty of people that will disagree with this. At the very least bitcoin will change the way we send money worldwide. Bitcoin > Western Union

there's probably more who do agree with it though

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: