Bitcoin Forum
May 18, 2024, 03:29:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: hotel mining  (Read 1522 times)
coins4commies (OP)

Activity: 952
Merit: 175

@cryptocommies

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 07:18:25 AM

another cool fantasy for if profitability goes back up is to carry a rig around to cheap hotels and use the ac to cool it and the rig brings in the cost of the hotel.  I have a small ish 6 card rig that is about the size of a suitcase that could have brought in 40 dollars a day 2 weeks ago. 

Imagine this same concept with higher profitability.  You could travel for free.  My only question is how would airplanes feel about a mining rig in checked luggage?   Customs? 

I'd love to set this up in southeast asia and spend about 20 dollars a day on the hotel. 10 on food and live a life of free travel.  Just be worried about the rig being stolen.
JoyofCrypto

Activity: 198
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 07:22:18 AM

your rig needs a stable internet connection and cheap hotels never have it
Alyeska

Activity: 50
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 07:41:56 AM
Merited by philipma1957 (1)

your rig needs a stable internet connection and cheap hotels never have it
Not saying the OP's post is an actually doable scenario, but I enjoy the ingenuity of his thought process, so I will respond to you with a,

Not true at all!

Many under $40 US dollar a night rooms in Asia have much faster internet connections than the average American has in their home, just saying, From an experienced traveler, and some one that lives in the US, but regularly travels extensively throughout Asia...
jillscarbrough

Activity: 588
Merit: 335

Steady State Finance

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 07:50:33 AM

another cool fantasy for if profitability goes back up is to carry a rig around to cheap hotels and use the ac to cool it and the rig brings in the cost of the hotel.  I have a small ish 6 card rig that is about the size of a suitcase that could have brought in 40 dollars a day 2 weeks ago. 

Imagine this same concept with higher profitability.  You could travel for free.  My only question is how would airplanes feel about a mining rig in checked luggage?   Customs? 

I'd love to set this up in southeast asia and spend about 20 dollars a day on the hotel. 10 on food and live a life of free travel.  Just be worried about the rig being stolen.

that's very...very fantasy high class. you're the best miners dude.your fantasy beat Albert Einstein and Satoshi Nakamoto. good luck dude
HagssFIN
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1706

Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2018, 08:19:36 AM

Doesn't sound like a very handy and useful idea to me..

adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1711

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 08:42:02 AM

Lots of issues with this

1) GPU profitability can decrease like it did in the last week.

2) Most hotels have shitty wifi or it's down. You can complain but it won't get fixed until business hours next day.

3) Most likelt you only have 1 breaker to use. So you are limited to a few GPUs.

4) Most likely your computer equipment will get damaged somehow due to transport

5) Good chance of getting your stuff stolen.
shaninium

Activity: 489
Merit: 253

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 08:47:49 AM

Its free power so it has its merits. Ive considered a similar thing but it involves a winnebago, good ventilation and powered site fees at a caravan park and a thick extension lead. Internet from a mobile phone or satellite  or the caravan parks wifi.

sotoshihero

Activity: 850
Merit: 504

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 09:20:17 AM

another cool fantasy for if profitability goes back up is to carry a rig around to cheap hotels and use the ac to cool it and the rig brings in the cost of the hotel.  I have a small ish 6 card rig that is about the size of a suitcase that could have brought in 40 dollars a day 2 weeks ago.  

Imagine this same concept with higher profitability.  You could travel for free.  My only question is how would airplanes feel about a mining rig in checked luggage?   Customs?  

I'd love to set this up in southeast asia and spend about 20 dollars a day on the hotel. 10 on food and live a life of free travel.  Just be worried about the rig being stolen.

Seems a nice idea but something like unethical and when hotel find this, they might banned you. Also, it can start a fire in a hotel if something goes wrong. There are many risk involved here. Also, as what being stated above like there are many issues involved and factors that may affect the performance of your mining rig like the unstable internet an so forth.
spoonminer

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 09:40:34 AM

Wouldn't that be making like $8/day with current prices? I can think of better ways to make $8. Or even $40.
kriskarthik

Activity: 258
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 10:08:17 AM

You need to see how many rig you wanted to put in a $40/day hotel and how much power you intend to draw. In my opinion, you will end up making a loss by paying more for space than you make or end up burning their fuse  Grin Grin

DevelopmentBank

Activity: 406
Merit: 110

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 10:19:00 AM

This could probably work if you had a rig of TITAN Vs. Lol. Because you would need maximum power efficiency / density / hash rate to make up for the hotel limitations.

But thinking about it, your rig (TITAN Vs of whatever) would probably earn MUCH MORE if they just mined at a stable location then you just used the money to cash out and pay for your trip. Trying to save on electricity costs are nont worth it.
H0M

Activity: 12

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 10:25:24 AM

Does a 6 card rig used to make you $40 a day. I did not see that even when the ETH and other coins were at their highest. It was more like $30/month. It is worth to colocate a mining rig somewhere. However, just bare in mind that this is more like an alternative to the interest rate one might get paid, rather than an enterprise which would make you a lot of money in a long run. It is a nice additional source of income.
dhouse

Activity: 266
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 05:06:29 PM

Other good ideas:

Spend all day at a busy coffee shop. hook your rig up and mine all day.

Use those free Tesla supercharger stations to run your rig.

build a windmill in your backyard

ride a train, go into the bathroom and find an outlet, hook up your mining rig in the bathroom
nsummy

Activity: 1179
Merit: 131

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 05:36:03 PM

Other good ideas:

Use those free Tesla supercharger stations to run your rig.

build a windmill in your backyard

ride a train, go into the bathroom and find an outlet, hook up your mining rig in the bathroom

Even better, fly in an airplane that has an under seat outlet, run the rig on the seat next to you and use the the inflight wifi   Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 05:37:39 PM

Other good ideas:

Yeah I'm sure you'd get by with that.  Lol ... Less than 30 minutes and they'd be asking you what the fuck you are doing and kicking your ass out.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
androstan1234

Activity: 251
Merit: 6

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 05:42:41 PM

Dig tunnel to neighbor outdoor outlet, cover outlet with leaves/dirt, profit.
cyberdeity

Activity: 44

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 05:47:42 PM

Its free power so it has its merits. Ive considered a similar thing but it involves a winnebago, good ventilation and powered site fees at a caravan park and a thick extension lead. Internet from a mobile phone or satellite  or the caravan parks wifi.

I actually chuckled out loud at this one.  Love it  Grin

Instead of being in a park, I can just picture someone with an old RV out in the desert with solar panels on top and a cell connection mining away instead of making meth like on Breaking Bad.

As profitability declines, electricity becomes more and more of an issue for some, so I can appreciate the creativity of finding cheaper power!
nsummy

Activity: 1179
Merit: 131

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 05:54:59 PM

Noise would also be an issue.  Can you imagine trying to go to sleep at night in a cheap motel and the guy in the room next door is running 4 Antminers?  hahahaha
dhouse

Activity: 266
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 06:09:51 PM

oooh how about this. hide mining rigs in storage rooms of public libraries. leave them there. profit.
androstan1234

Activity: 251
Merit: 6

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 06:12:59 PM

oooh how about this. hide mining rigs in storage rooms of public libraries. leave them there. profit.

Get speeding ticket, show up at court to contest it, find storage closet, plant miner.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: