Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 11:37:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: hotel mining  (Read 1522 times)
coins4commies (OP)

Activity: 952
Merit: 175

@cryptocommies

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 07:18:25 AM

another cool fantasy for if profitability goes back up is to carry a rig around to cheap hotels and use the ac to cool it and the rig brings in the cost of the hotel.  I have a small ish 6 card rig that is about the size of a suitcase that could have brought in 40 dollars a day 2 weeks ago. 

Imagine this same concept with higher profitability.  You could travel for free.  My only question is how would airplanes feel about a mining rig in checked luggage?   Customs? 

I'd love to set this up in southeast asia and spend about 20 dollars a day on the hotel. 10 on food and live a life of free travel.  Just be worried about the rig being stolen.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JoyofCrypto

Activity: 198
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 07:22:18 AM

your rig needs a stable internet connection and cheap hotels never have it
Alyeska

Activity: 50
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 07:41:56 AM
Merited by philipma1957 (1)

your rig needs a stable internet connection and cheap hotels never have it
Not saying the OP's post is an actually doable scenario, but I enjoy the ingenuity of his thought process, so I will respond to you with a,

Not true at all!

Many under $40 US dollar a night rooms in Asia have much faster internet connections than the average American has in their home, just saying, From an experienced traveler, and some one that lives in the US, but regularly travels extensively throughout Asia...
jillscarbrough

Activity: 588
Merit: 335

Steady State Finance

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 07:50:33 AM

another cool fantasy for if profitability goes back up is to carry a rig around to cheap hotels and use the ac to cool it and the rig brings in the cost of the hotel.  I have a small ish 6 card rig that is about the size of a suitcase that could have brought in 40 dollars a day 2 weeks ago. 

Imagine this same concept with higher profitability.  You could travel for free.  My only question is how would airplanes feel about a mining rig in checked luggage?   Customs? 

I'd love to set this up in southeast asia and spend about 20 dollars a day on the hotel. 10 on food and live a life of free travel.  Just be worried about the rig being stolen.

that's very...very fantasy high class. you're the best miners dude.your fantasy beat Albert Einstein and Satoshi Nakamoto. good luck dude
HagssFIN
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1706

Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2018, 08:19:36 AM

Doesn't sound like a very handy and useful idea to me..

adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 08:42:02 AM

Lots of issues with this

1) GPU profitability can decrease like it did in the last week.

2) Most hotels have shitty wifi or it's down. You can complain but it won't get fixed until business hours next day.

3) Most likelt you only have 1 breaker to use. So you are limited to a few GPUs.

4) Most likely your computer equipment will get damaged somehow due to transport

5) Good chance of getting your stuff stolen.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
shaninium

Activity: 489
Merit: 253

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 08:47:49 AM

Its free power so it has its merits. Ive considered a similar thing but it involves a winnebago, good ventilation and powered site fees at a caravan park and a thick extension lead. Internet from a mobile phone or satellite  or the caravan parks wifi.

sotoshihero

Activity: 850
Merit: 504

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 09:20:17 AM

another cool fantasy for if profitability goes back up is to carry a rig around to cheap hotels and use the ac to cool it and the rig brings in the cost of the hotel.  I have a small ish 6 card rig that is about the size of a suitcase that could have brought in 40 dollars a day 2 weeks ago.  

Imagine this same concept with higher profitability.  You could travel for free.  My only question is how would airplanes feel about a mining rig in checked luggage?   Customs?  

I'd love to set this up in southeast asia and spend about 20 dollars a day on the hotel. 10 on food and live a life of free travel.  Just be worried about the rig being stolen.

Seems a nice idea but something like unethical and when hotel find this, they might banned you. Also, it can start a fire in a hotel if something goes wrong. There are many risk involved here. Also, as what being stated above like there are many issues involved and factors that may affect the performance of your mining rig like the unstable internet an so forth.
spoonminer

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 09:40:34 AM

Wouldn't that be making like $8/day with current prices? I can think of better ways to make $8. Or even $40.
kriskarthik

Activity: 258
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 10:08:17 AM

You need to see how many rig you wanted to put in a $40/day hotel and how much power you intend to draw. In my opinion, you will end up making a loss by paying more for space than you make or end up burning their fuse  Grin Grin

DevelopmentBank

Activity: 406
Merit: 110

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 10:19:00 AM

This could probably work if you had a rig of TITAN Vs. Lol. Because you would need maximum power efficiency / density / hash rate to make up for the hotel limitations.

But thinking about it, your rig (TITAN Vs of whatever) would probably earn MUCH MORE if they just mined at a stable location then you just used the money to cash out and pay for your trip. Trying to save on electricity costs are nont worth it.
H0M

Activity: 12

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 10:25:24 AM

Does a 6 card rig used to make you $40 a day. I did not see that even when the ETH and other coins were at their highest. It was more like $30/month. It is worth to colocate a mining rig somewhere. However, just bare in mind that this is more like an alternative to the interest rate one might get paid, rather than an enterprise which would make you a lot of money in a long run. It is a nice additional source of income.
dhouse

Activity: 266
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 05:06:29 PM

Other good ideas:

Spend all day at a busy coffee shop. hook your rig up and mine all day.

Use those free Tesla supercharger stations to run your rig.

build a windmill in your backyard

ride a train, go into the bathroom and find an outlet, hook up your mining rig in the bathroom
nsummy

Activity: 1179
Merit: 131

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 05:36:03 PM

Other good ideas:

Use those free Tesla supercharger stations to run your rig.

build a windmill in your backyard

ride a train, go into the bathroom and find an outlet, hook up your mining rig in the bathroom

Even better, fly in an airplane that has an under seat outlet, run the rig on the seat next to you and use the the inflight wifi   Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 05:37:39 PM

Other good ideas:

Yeah I'm sure you'd get by with that.  Lol ... Less than 30 minutes and they'd be asking you what the fuck you are doing and kicking your ass out.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
androstan1234

Activity: 251
Merit: 6

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 05:42:41 PM

Dig tunnel to neighbor outdoor outlet, cover outlet with leaves/dirt, profit.
cyberdeity

Activity: 44

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 05:47:42 PM

Its free power so it has its merits. Ive considered a similar thing but it involves a winnebago, good ventilation and powered site fees at a caravan park and a thick extension lead. Internet from a mobile phone or satellite  or the caravan parks wifi.

I actually chuckled out loud at this one.  Love it  Grin

Instead of being in a park, I can just picture someone with an old RV out in the desert with solar panels on top and a cell connection mining away instead of making meth like on Breaking Bad.

As profitability declines, electricity becomes more and more of an issue for some, so I can appreciate the creativity of finding cheaper power!
nsummy

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 05:54:59 PM

Noise would also be an issue.  Can you imagine trying to go to sleep at night in a cheap motel and the guy in the room next door is running 4 Antminers?  hahahaha
dhouse

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 06:09:51 PM

oooh how about this. hide mining rigs in storage rooms of public libraries. leave them there. profit.
androstan1234

Activity: 251

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 06:12:59 PM

oooh how about this. hide mining rigs in storage rooms of public libraries. leave them there. profit.

Get speeding ticket, show up at court to contest it, find storage closet, plant miner.
gotminer

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 06:13:59 PM

Just let me know which library's you leave them in, so I can go pick them up and claim that I left them there.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
coins4commies (OP)

@cryptocommies

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 08:44:36 PM

vehicle mining does sound like a good idea. it would be easy to get good airflow and electric charging stations are free.  You could uber drive a prius with the trunk full of mining rigs. 
brooklynite1

Activity: 630

In BTCz we trust. Organic slow growth.

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2018, 08:58:15 PM

First off that is against any terms of use for any hotel stay anywhere in the world. You know, the papers you sign? It includes unusual use of utilities and they can easily charge your deposit (credit card).

Second of all, that is theft.

Third, the maid will certainly notify the management and your rig will be confiscated as collateral and turned over the police, AND your credit card will be charged for the electricity use. The maid's job is not just to clean your room but also report on its condition.

shaninium

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 12:13:41 AM

another cool fantasy for if profitability goes back up is to carry a rig around to cheap hotels and use the ac to cool it and the rig brings in the cost of the hotel.  I have a small ish 6 card rig that is about the size of a suitcase that could have brought in 40 dollars a day 2 weeks ago.  

Imagine this same concept with higher profitability.  You could travel for free.  My only question is how would airplanes feel about a mining rig in checked luggage?   Customs?  

I'd love to set this up in southeast asia and spend about 20 dollars a day on the hotel. 10 on food and live a life of free travel.  Just be worried about the rig being stolen.

First off that is against any terms of use for any hotel stay anywhere in the world. You know, the papers you sign? It includes unusual use of utilities and they can easily charge your deposit (credit card).

Third, the maid will certainly notify the management and your rig will be confiscated as collateral and turned over the police, AND your credit card will be charged for the electricity use. The maid's job is not just to clean your room but also report on its condition.

Just leave a do not disturb sign on your door knob. That will help  keep maids out, Its not likely the hotel/ motels check power meter before and after they  give you keys and whether each room has its own meter is doubful. If there is nothing  specific in the clauses of the room hire about commercial electricity  use then by law your not doing the wrong thing, u paid for a powered room and thats what you should get. If they do see your rigs or asics just say your some IT technician and its part of your business. That covers you as most people who hire rooms are on business trips anyway  and they use their laptops etc anyway. Not a lot of maids would even know what crypto mining is. As long as it isnt a lot of miners it shouldnt look too strange but the keys is to power them off when maid visits and hide them in closet etc and Keep air con on. Asics would be easier, just choose a hotel/motel with good sound   deadening in the walls or use ducting to kill the sound.

gotminer

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 12:22:51 AM

Is this even a serious post?  I mean it's one of the dumbest ideas that I've ever heard of to get free electricity.  You're going to have so many problems moving rigs around all of the time.  Not to mention that you're fucking over someone else, because you are basicly stealing electricity.  I mean I guess I don't know what you pay per kwh, but at 0.10 cents usd, I'm still doing very very well if I were to cash out once a month at 6K btc.  I refuse to sell anything right now though.  I will fund the electric costs out of my own pocket for my farm and still mine, if it were to get to that point.  I'm here for what it could be a year from now ... two years from now ... three years from now ... ten years from now. 

Fucktards who are in this for the daily profit need to get lost.  I hope with the current crash, you've realized that this is not a get rich quick scheme.

nsummy

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 12:56:08 AM

Just leave a do not disturb sign on your door knob. That will help  keep maids out, Its not likely the hotel/ motels check power meter before and after they  give you keys and whether each room has its own meter is doubful. If there is nothing  specific in the clauses of the room hire about commercial electricity  use then by law your not doing the wrong thing, u paid for a powered room and thats what you should get. If they do see your rigs or asics just say your some IT technician and its part of your business. That covers you as most people who hire rooms are on business trips anyway  and they use their laptops etc anyway. Not a lot of maids would even know what crypto mining is. As long as it isnt a lot of miners it shouldnt look too strange but the keys is to power them off when maid visits and hide them in closet etc and Keep air con on. Asics would be easier, just choose a hotel/motel with good sound   deadening in the walls or use ducting to kill the sound.

3 months ago it would have kept the maids out.  The Las Vegas shooting has changed a lot.  Anything suspicious (like carting in a bunch of equipment) would be noticed immediately.  The shooting was able to happen because of the do not disturb sign,
gotminer

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 01:32:16 AM

Ok so serious question to the OP.  What do you do if the prostitute that you invite back to your hotel room steals your rigs? 

Ardasnails

Activity: 68

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2018, 10:56:08 AM

Nice id love to do this!
manji

Activity: 210
Merit: 174

BookiePro.Fun - The World's Betting Exchange

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 11:55:01 AM

how a solution for reducing noisy on RIG, and every hotel have to limit minimum for using electricity. sometimes internet connection unstable and using wifi rarely using wire. and some hotel has a rule additional charges if the customer brings goods not accordingly with hotel rules.

dhouse

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 07:48:47 PM

Just let me know which library's you leave them in, so I can go pick them up and claim that I left them there.

Pfff I'm obviously keeping the libraries I choose a secret  Roll Eyes
gotminer

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 08:06:05 PM

Pfff I'm obviously keeping the libraries I choose a secret  Roll Eyes

Do the libraries in your country typically allow people to just store shit for free?  Do they take responsibility for it when they do this?

pigfrown

Activity: 47
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 08:20:55 PM

OP I commend your entrepreneurial thinking.  Don't let the haters get you down, I think you have the base of a solid plan. Noise would definitely be an issue with people sleeping nearby. Maybe with a quiet GPU rig you'd be ok.

Personally I wouldn't want to leave my rig overnight/during the day in case it got stolen/confiscated.. it would be a big risk each stay (depending on where you stay).

How about you use cafes instead? You can use their wifi, plug into an outlet (might need to disguise your rig somewhat, a suitcase should do it), then buy 1 coffee every couple of hours whilst you browse a laptop. This way you save money and are with your rig at all times, in case a swift exit is needed. I'd leave a good tip. If you integrated a UPS into your suitcase-rig and added a fall back 3G dongle, you could even keep mining whilst you walk between cafes/back to your hotel.

You could even try it on public transport. There are trains with sockets/wifi, and depending on ticket prices/ride duration (it would be best to go for super discounted, very slow trains.. that way you get more running time per $ spent), it could be possible for your miner to pay for your train ticket and make a little profit. That way your miner would literally be paying for you to travel.

I'm sure there must be other places where you could do this (airports? train/bus stations?), but you may get moved on eventually.

Good luck OP!

Bitrated user: pigfrown.
subbit

Activity: 226

WALLFAIR

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2018, 08:24:35 PM

hotel mining very nice system for miners. future come for us

Alpacasino powered by Wallfair. The fairest casino of them all. Sign Up now and get 100% Deposit Bonus -> alpacasino.io
gotminer

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 08:40:00 PM

hotel mining very nice system for miners. future come for us

No.  It's called theft you cheap bastard.  If I were a hotel operator and caught you doing it in a hotel that I owned, I'd take your mining hardware away and kick your sorry little ass to the street.

Dlikrot

Activity: 228
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 08:53:15 PM

People who steal electricity actually does it from their own home. They bypass the meter.

To btc or not to btc - that is the electrum
thedue

Activity: 662
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 08:59:34 PM

Even though it´s theft.. nothing else..
You don´t need a wifi or stuff... just use a simple router with a sim card.. works fine for mining only..
gotminer

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 12:11:26 AM

So all of you think it's just fine to steal from someone else (the hotel), in order to increase your own profits? 

And by the way ... You're costing the hotel a hell of a lot more money in electricity than you are using their internet connection.  They probably don't give a rats ass about how much bandwidth you use and mining isn't a bandwidth hog to begin with.

gotminer

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 12:14:38 AM

Would it be ok with you if I moved into the house next door to you and just tapped off of your electricity to run my mining rigs?  I don't fucking think you would be ok with that.

HerbPean
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 12:32:12 AM

I actually chuckled out loud at this one.  Love it  Grin

Instead of being in a park, I can just picture someone with an old RV out in the desert with solar panels on top and a cell connection mining away instead of making meth like on Breaking Bad.

As profitability declines, electricity becomes more and more of an issue for some, so I can appreciate the creativity of finding cheaper power!

Breaking bad style... had the same vision for a moment !  Grin Grin Grin Grin
whoismoses

Activity: 247
Merit: 59

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 01:06:52 AM

So all of you think it's just fine to steal from someone else (the hotel), in order to increase your own profits? 

I was thinking the same thing while scanning this thread. Stealing is unethical. I know you guys know this. This kind of stuff is what gives miners a bad rap...

If you don't think mining in a hotel room is stealing, you are right, but I don't think that was the expectation of you when they rented the room. Lights, TV, charging phones and computers. That is all built into the cost... I get a single mining rig would only be about $3.5 a day for the hotel, but sometimes all they make on a room is $20-30, so that is a big hit.

Same thing for mining in your apartment when you don't pay electricity. Someone is going to pay for it. You and your neighbors will once the landlord raises the rent.
nsummy

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 01:13:55 AM

No need to waste money on a hotel room.  Just hit the streets of NYC:  https://nypost.com/2017/08/02/this-homeless-guy-has-found-the-ultimate-power-hack/
Kapz786

Activity: 697
Merit: 503

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 01:24:48 AM

Arent there plenty of datacentres that include internet/electricity that will host most miners for anywhere between $100-$150 a month? I think all these obscure idea's wont be anywhere near as competitive as that considering
Juggar

Activity: 242
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 01:26:34 AM

Arent there plenty of datacentres that include internet/electricity that will host most miners for anywhere between $100-$150 a month? I think all these obscure idea's wont be anywhere near as competitive as that considering

No, WTF?

Most of us dont live next door to a data center much less even know of one where such is feasible. I mean Christ I live 2+ hours away from the outskirts of Atlanta, thats the closest major city near me.

This idea wont work for like 99.9999% of people.
coins4commies (OP)

@cryptocommies

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 01:48:54 AM

This thread wasn't quite a joke but wasn't quite serious either.  Somewhere in between.  A hypothetical fantasy. 

So how much electricity can you use in a hotel before its considered stealing?  Is someone using their laptop to prepare their power point presentation stealing electricity as well?  Stealing is a strong word when you are paying for a room with electricity included. 

Stealing would be going into every hotel's business center and installing background miners that will perpetually mine to your anonymous monero account.   Wink
elgi76

Activity: 124

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 01:49:53 AM

many hotel in the world use a card or key you must place in your room for have electricity.
you can travel and stay in your room all the time, same of a jail ...

ps :
if you can do it, you participate to hotel make up her price (you think nobody show depense and earning on a hotel or over industry ?) or hotel close.
yes you can thinking only of your profit, same of the biggest company in the world who participate to kill all people in the world for make more profit ...
Kapz786

Activity: 697
Merit: 503

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 02:01:33 AM

No, WTF?

Most of us dont live next door to a data center much less even know of one where such is feasible. I mean Christ I live 2+ hours away from the outskirts of Atlanta, thats the closest major city near me.

This idea wont work for like 99.9999% of people.

Who said you need to live near one? The whole point is they host it and you get remote access to it 24/7 you would obviously need to ship it/drop it off to them but then that's it its not like you are going there everyday to reset the rig etc. Look at https://www.oregonmines.com/ the business model does have merit

A few months back there were mainstream datacentre's that allowed you to rent a server and you could send in a single graphics card (at your own cost) and they would allow you to mine with it on your rented server as long as you leased it for. Once the crypto profitability shot up it became a bit too much work but there certainly was such a service
shaninium

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 02:44:10 AM
Last edit: February 08, 2018, 02:54:53 AM by shaninium

The key here is to not get caught using the electricity. To not use too much power but enough to make it worthwhile long term. Hotels/ motels have a daily cost which erodes any reasonable profit. Unless your employer is paying for the room its not really worth it. Nows heres a scam that could  work..
Truck drivers have a few things that might work, if their load is refrigerated , they have a little excess space  ( either in the travel compartment or in the cooled storage area) , a Power source- a powerful alternator/ multiple batteries and a internet connection ( mobile or satellite depending on reception on the travel route.) Then couldnt they mine too on the companys dollar. Yes fuel consumption  would rise keeping everything cooled and mining. Water cooled rigs or custom cooled asics could be used inside the refrigerated compartment and the radiator for them installed outside the truck. When the truck driver sleeps the rigs may need to be shut down or more batteries installed to run them while alternator is off. ( Any cold storage truckers let me know how this works or if you even rest between destinations.) Truckers are paid well but this doing this and being undetected on every hour they work could add up longterm. Btw some people reading this thread may be laughing but when your paying .25usd/kwh and 1.2usd a day just to have a power  connection u wouldnt be laughing. However condensation on the miners could be an issue, but i figure cooling these days is  more frost free and low humidity then it used to be.

spoonminer

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 07:36:01 PM

I love all the people complaining about stealing electricity. While the idea of unsecured rigs and moving them around is the real actual issue, people seem so conditioned to just reply "stealing electricity!!!!!! you are a bad bad man" Chill out, a 6 card rig uses like $2-4/day. In hotels, you're going to stay only a few nights. Big deal....
gotminer

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 11:00:05 PM

I love all the people complaining about stealing electricity. While the idea of unsecured rigs and moving them around is the real actual issue, people seem so conditioned to just reply "stealing electricity!!!!!! you are a bad bad man" Chill out, a 6 card rig uses like $2-4/day. In hotels, you're going to stay only a few nights. Big deal....

Why don't you just call up a hotel, explain what you want to do, and ask for permission?  If it violates a fair use of utilities clause, it is stealing.  Theft is theft.  Doesn't matter if it's a candy bar or a truck load of flat screen tv's.  The dollar amount isn't what I have a problem with.  The moral compass of the person who is willing to do it without permission is what I have the problem with.  Slippery slope people.

Agozyen

Activity: 672
Merit: 252

Until the end

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 12:37:38 AM

I almost did this.  I had a job that required a lot of travel but I was laid off before I could get this off the ground.  Flying with something like this would have been a nightmare, I did all my traveling by car.  I think there's a market for small portable self-contained miners that people could plug in at work and mine with too. 
gotminer

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 01:08:26 AM

I almost did this.  I had a job that required a lot of travel but I was laid off before I could get this off the ground.  Flying with something like this would have been a nightmare, I did all my traveling by car.  I think there's a market for small portable self-contained miners that people could plug in at work and mine with too. 

Yeah, it's called a usb miner.  Just don't expect much profit at the risk of losing your job.  We fired someone at work for plugging in a wifi access point, so good luck with smuggling in a gpu mining rig ... Lol. 

wheelz1200
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1406

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 01:15:43 AM

The amount you make off of rigs would be a lot of work unless you just stayed at the same hotel month long and wven then i dont know i would want to stay at a hotel that you pay 5-10 a night at.  Undecided

███████████████▄▄
    ██████████████████████▄
  ██████████████████████████▄
 ███████   ▀████████▀   ████▄
██████████    █▀  ▀    ██████▄
███████████▄▄▀  ██  ▀▄▄████████
███████████          █████████
███████████▀▀▄  ██  ▄▀▀████████
██████████▀   ▀▄  ▄▀   ▀██████▀
 ███████  ▄██▄████▄█▄  █████▀
  ██████████████████████████▀
    ██████████████████████▀
       ███████████████▀▀
.Duelbits.
..THE MOST REWARDING CASINO......
   ▄▄▄▄████▀███▄▄▄▄▄
▄███▄▀▄██▄   ▄██▄▀▄███▄
████▄█▄███▄█▄███▄█▄████
███████████████████████   ▄██▄
██     ██     ██     ██   ▀██▀
██ ▀▀█ ██ ▀▀█ ██ ▀▀█ ██    ██
██  █  ██  █  ██  █  ██
█▌  ██
██     ██     ██     ████  ██
█████████████████████████  ██
████████████████████████████▀
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████▌
       +4,000       
PROVABLY FAIR
GAMES
   $500,000   
MONTHLY
PRIZE POOL
      $10,000     
BLACKJACK
GIVEAWAY
gotminer

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 01:25:01 AM

The amount you make off of rigs would be a lot of work unless you just stayed at the same hotel month long and wven then i dont know i would want to stay at a hotel that you pay 5-10 a night at.  Undecided

Exactly ... It's not like you're going to be able to go to a hotel and plug in several rigs (30 gpu's) in one room.  Lights out my friend.  Lol ... Aside from the fact that I don't think it is morally right, it's just a stupid idea that wouldn't be worth the hassle.  Hope it's an all-inclusive resort, because you wouldn't be able to afford to eat and pay to rent the room.

STATIK

Activity: 162

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 01:27:25 AM

I'd suggest getting a job at a nuclear facility in Russia. Free electricity and free miners  Grin
otto_diesel

Activity: 1078
Merit: 696

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 01:28:27 AM

i think it's a fantasy as you said, hotel staff will detect you if you try a action like this, because there are separate electricity counter for every room. they can detect it easily.
hack4love

Activity: 152

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 02:03:06 AM

come to my  home free electricity  just we pay 5 $  fixed every month  Grin
gotminer

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 02:39:36 AM

Sure.  And then I get shot dead, you keep my rig.  How will you dispose of my body?  In your country, probably easy.

spoonminer

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 12:37:11 AM

Why don't you just call up a hotel, explain what you want to do, and ask for permission?  If it violates a fair use of utilities clause, it is stealing.  Theft is theft.  Doesn't matter if it's a candy bar or a truck load of flat screen tv's.  The dollar amount isn't what I have a problem with.  The moral compass of the person who is willing to do it without permission is what I have the problem with.  Slippery slope people.

Ok, so how is plugging in your laptop, phone, or toothbrush (as suggested above) not stealing? A hair dryer can use upwards of 2000w. A hotel guest could use anywhere from $0.01 to $1.00 in electricity fairly easily. Would taking 6 showers and blow drying my hair each time for 1 hour in one day be theft? No, you'd just be considered a weirdo.

Why is mining viewed differently? Where do you draw the line on energy consumption? Unless a hotel establishes a rule on maximum power consumption, what is the definition of stealing? One could make the argument that you can max out the breaker on the room for the entire time you have the room booked. As also noted above, many asian hotels only turn on the lights when you insert your room card by the door thereby establishing what acceptable energy use is: when you're in the room.
gotminer

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 01:16:59 AM

Ok, so how is plugging in your laptop, phone, or toothbrush (as suggested above) not stealing? A hair dryer can use upwards of 2000w. A hotel guest could use anywhere from $0.01 to $1.00 in electricity fairly easily. Would taking 6 showers and blow drying my hair each time for 1 hour in one day be theft? No, you'd just be considered a weirdo.

Why is mining viewed differently? Where do you draw the line on energy consumption? Unless a hotel establishes a rule on maximum power consumption, what is the definition of stealing? One could make the argument that you can max out the breaker on the room for the entire time you have the room booked. As also noted above, many asian hotels only turn on the lights when you insert your room card by the door thereby establishing what acceptable energy use is: when you're in the room.

That doesn't establish what acceptable energy use is.  If you want to know the answer to that question, ask the hotel chain.  The entire idea is a bad idea for many other reasons that have been brought up already. 

shaninium

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 01:40:34 AM

Why don't you just call up a hotel, explain what you want to do, and ask for permission?  If it violates a fair use of utilities clause, it is stealing.  Theft is theft.  Doesn't matter if it's a candy bar or a truck load of flat screen tv's.  The dollar amount isn't what I have a problem with.  The moral compass of the person who is willing to do it without permission is what I have the problem with.  Slippery slope people.

That doesn't establish what acceptable energy use is.  If you want to know the answer to that question, ask the hotel chain.  The entire idea is a bad idea for many other reasons that have been brought up already.  

What about people who take soaps and shampoo and robes , and have multiple long hot showers, are they stealing too? Hotels expect some people to do this, its factored into the price of the room. What if two women were getting ready to go out, both using hair dryers at same time or boiling a kettle and doing their hair. Has anyone in history ever overloaded a hotel room circuit? I dont think it happens because its extra effort for the hotel to stop what theyre doing and  fix your power or call for maintenance. A kettle would use around 2400w and 2000-2400w (240v) for a decent hair dryer. Thats 4400- 4800w you could use to run your rigs on just 2 outlets, even if it means disconnecting the tv. Forget proper rigs just put a riserless rig like a pandaminer in a large suitcase and use your phone/tablet/laptop as a monitor. Carrying a few heavy suitcases wont arouse  suspicion especially  if you have multiple people per hotel room carrying each suitcase or just use asics and fit a few of them per a suitcase.

gotminer

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 01:49:25 AM

That doesn't establish what acceptable energy use is.  If you want to know the answer to that question, ask the hotel chain.  The entire idea is a bad idea for many other reasons that have been brought up already. 

What about people who take soaps and shampoo and robes , and have multiple long hot showers, are they stealing too? Hotels expect some people to do this, its factored into the price of the room. What if two women were getting ready to go out, both using hair dryers at same time or boiling a kettle and doing their hair. Has anyone in history ever overloaded a hotel room circuit? I dont think it happens because its extra effort for the hotel to stop what theyre doing and  fix your power or call for maintenance. A kettle would use around 2400w and 2000-2400w (240v) for a decent hair dryer. Thats 4400- 4800w you could use to run your rigs on just 2 outlets, even if it means disconnecting the tv.

I'm not a cheap ass, so I don't steal their shitty soap and shampoo.  I actually take my own when I go to a hotel, because I like the brand of soap, shampoo, and lotion that I use. Lol.  Stealing a robe from an expensive hotel in the United States would probably end up in them charging your credit card for it.  Maybe not, I don't know, because I've never taken one.  When they started banning smoking in hotel rooms in the United States, Marriott was charging a $300 cleaning fee to your credit card, if they had evidence that you smoked in their room.

64dimensions

Activity: 578
Merit: 508

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 03:01:42 AM

Given the current air travel environment, wouldn't baggage charges reduce the chance for any profit?
shaninium

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 03:27:32 AM

Given the current air travel environment, wouldn't baggage charges reduce the chance for any profit?

Carrying a riserless rig in suitcases would be very heavy but you could take the case out and just have a motherboard with cards on a light weight surface to lighten the load. I never considered air travel and rigs, the metal detector  would go nuts. Im thinking of a traveller on the road with a vehicle. A self funding digital nomad who can get free accommodation  and travel by mining in a truck / winnabago with a powerful alternator , batteries, solar power, inverters etc. when travelling and using caravan parks or cheap hotels / motels for free power and recharging. Even better if one uses an electric vehicle. And if the markets keep going up then thats even better. All expenses covered by mining and crypto trading while on a never ending holiday on the road. No rent ,mortgage or land rates to pay with free power and just travelling the country. Obviously your power needs to be expensive in the first place to make this worth while.

gotminer

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 03:28:05 AM

I think more than that would reduce profit.

coins4commies (OP)

@cryptocommies

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 04:06:06 AM

Exactly ... It's not like you're going to be able to go to a hotel and plug in several rigs (30 gpu's) in one room.  Lights out my friend.  Lol ... Aside from the fact that I don't think it is morally right, it's just a stupid idea that wouldn't be worth the hassle.  Hope it's an all-inclusive resort, because you wouldn't be able to afford to eat and pay to rent the room.

The premise is that you are in a place with a low cost of living.  A small, 4 card rig can make 30 USD regardless of where it is plugged in.  30 USD in many places won't be enough to pay for a hotel or eat but if you take that rig to the right place.  30 USD could cover a decent hotel (or airbnb) and 3 meals quite easily.   

https://www.expedia.com/Hanoi-Hotels-Green-House.h21851614.Hotel-Information?chkin=3%2F18%2F2018&chkout=3%2F19%2F2018&rm1=a2&regionId=6054458&hwrqCacheKey=90195000-d978-4501-a38d-e8da836a7b2cHWRQ1518753390125&vip=false&c=59bc626e-e5b0-4792-a2e4-9eed3777f7fb&mctc=10&exp_dp=9&exp_ts=1518753428468&exp_curr=USD&swpToggleOn=false&exp_pg=HSR
9 dollars per night and you can eat really amazing meals for 10 dollars at a full service restaurant and 1 dollar for street food.  the breakfast buffet at the hilton was 15 and a steak dinner at the other 5 star hotel was 20.

hotel: hanoi tulip- 9
breakfast: street pho: 1
lunch: bahm mi sandwich: 2
dinner: top tripadvisor restaurant: 10
10 Drinks: 5

Total: 27

You could essentially subsidize a basic life.  There are much cheaper hotels outside of the city and also sketchy hotels that aren't listed on expedia but are much cheaper and geared towards domestic travelers.  Even though a 2.5 star hotel for 9 dollars might seem unappealing, they actually aren't that bad. 
texasman86

Activity: 294
Merit: 104

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 04:22:32 AM

Rather than wifi, tether to your phone or something else.
spoonminer

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 06:28:11 AM

This whole thread is rather entertaining. I don't think anyone who can afford to build a $2-4k rig is going to consider living like this. We've got better things to do.
worldzuber

Activity: 11

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 10:20:32 AM

electricity is expensive
Tidsdilatation

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2018, 10:32:27 AM

You would get kicked out after they get their first bill  Grin "wtf how come we are using 4x power now??? roomservice, have u seen something weird when u cleaned the rooms???" Its a fun taught but i dont think its doable in reality  Sad
hack4love

Activity: 152

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 12:07:35 PM

Sure.  And then I get shot dead, you keep my rig.  How will you dispose of my body?  In your country, probably easy.

why i dispose  of your body i will sell all your organs   Cheesy  and buy more cards  Cool
gotminer

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 01:20:59 PM

This whole thread is rather entertaining. I don't think anyone who can afford to build a $2-4k rig is going to consider living like this. We've got better things to do.

Exactly.

greenfailure

Activity: 145
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 03:48:23 PM

real scheme:

power included storage facilities, viable in cold climates where the storage units are located outside in sub-zero temps year around.

I might know a friend doing this, costs ~150$/month per unit, and each unit has enough power for a 12 gtx 1080 ti rig.

Owner/Operator of LARGEST Greater Toronto Area mining operation.

BUY BITCOIN
gotminer

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 03:59:27 PM

real scheme:

power included storage facilities, viable in cold climates where the storage units are located outside in sub-zero temps year around.

I might know a friend doing this, costs ~150$/month per unit, and each unit has enough power for a 12 gtx 1080 ti rig.

I can power 12 1080ti's for a little less than that at my house and have the convenience of having the rigs at my house using an internet connection that is already there.

Bob-Bit

Activity: 241

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 05:27:38 PM

Here's my twist on this quite imaginative idea. So you use an 8 GPU rig that is approaching not being profitable(if you had to pay for power). Instead of staying at hotels/motels stay at Airbnb houses. Message the owner before renting their place to confirm the internet is good, and wired, and tell them "I need the internet for work, it is critical that it works, or I will be forced to find a new place. I build custom computers for people. I have a system I built that I will need to do testing on. I also need to confirm that there will be a spot to plug in my system near where the internet is located. Thanks." Then your not stealing anything. Also, usually nobody comes into your Airbnb for the week so there shouldn't be random maids running about the place, and you should be able to just lock your doors and not worry.

★ PRiVCY ➢ Own Your Privacy! ➢ Best privacy crypto-market! ★
✈✈✈[PoW/PoS]✅[Tor]✅✈✈✈ (https://privcy.eu/)
Bob-Bit

Activity: 241

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 06:10:39 PM

Road trip!

★ PRiVCY ➢ Own Your Privacy! ➢ Best privacy crypto-market! ★
✈✈✈[PoW/PoS]✅[Tor]✅✈✈✈ (https://privcy.eu/)
squareware

Activity: 31

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 06:30:13 PM

Maybe get a job where you have your own office with airco.
Twice the income.
gotminer

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 06:53:56 PM

Twice the income.

You're FIRED!

leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 03:28:41 PM

Twice the income.

You're FIRED!

Lol, i remember one of the users seeking help on how to mine with office desktops unnoticed by the end users and so happens that he is the owner.  Cheesy call it maximizing resources.
FaithGlover85

Activity: 3

View Profile
September 05, 2020, 07:28:26 PM
Last edit: September 07, 2020, 06:57:31 AM by FaithGlover85

I have to agree that stealing very cheap soap, shampoo and towels from hotels is very stupid, and not only will the hotel require you to pay for everything that was stolen and also make you pay a fine. Although it happens that you rent a room for 1-2 days and not on purpose, you take shampoo and toothpaste with you. In general, you won't be able to make money on this, at least I don't think so. In general, the main goal of any hotel is to provide ideal conditions for relaxation. And first of all, each person needs to think not about how to make money staying in a hotel, but how to spend time most pleasantly. In general, it is important to find a good place to stay. For example, historic wedding venues Charleston is the perfect place where you can not only relax, but also learn a lot of interesting things for yourself.
RabbiTANK

Activity: 224
Merit: 18

Sovryn - Brings DeFi to Bitcoin

View Profile
September 06, 2020, 06:10:58 AM

Carrying your mining rig up and down wont do you any good, I used to do this some years ago because of lack of electricity in my area so I travel to my friend place and get few gpu spoiled in the process, I can see few pill off connection at the back of the graphic cards

Etherion

Activity: 512
Merit: 260

View Profile
September 06, 2020, 12:33:11 PM

I wish a 6 gpu rig would make Hotale day rate. what a wonderfull world it would be
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: