Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 10:40:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: hotel mining  (Read 1522 times)
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 01:49:25 AM

I love all the people complaining about stealing electricity. While the idea of unsecured rigs and moving them around is the real actual issue, people seem so conditioned to just reply "stealing electricity!!!!!! you are a bad bad man" Chill out, a 6 card rig uses like $2-4/day. In hotels, you're going to stay only a few nights. Big deal....

Why don't you just call up a hotel, explain what you want to do, and ask for permission?  If it violates a fair use of utilities clause, it is stealing.  Theft is theft.  Doesn't matter if it's a candy bar or a truck load of flat screen tv's.  The dollar amount isn't what I have a problem with.  The moral compass of the person who is willing to do it without permission is what I have the problem with.  Slippery slope people.

Ok, so how is plugging in your laptop, phone, or toothbrush (as suggested above) not stealing? A hair dryer can use upwards of 2000w. A hotel guest could use anywhere from $0.01 to $1.00 in electricity fairly easily. Would taking 6 showers and blow drying my hair each time for 1 hour in one day be theft? No, you'd just be considered a weirdo.

Why is mining viewed differently? Where do you draw the line on energy consumption? Unless a hotel establishes a rule on maximum power consumption, what is the definition of stealing? One could make the argument that you can max out the breaker on the room for the entire time you have the room booked. As also noted above, many asian hotels only turn on the lights when you insert your room card by the door thereby establishing what acceptable energy use is: when you're in the room.

That doesn't establish what acceptable energy use is.  If you want to know the answer to that question, ask the hotel chain.  The entire idea is a bad idea for many other reasons that have been brought up already. 

What about people who take soaps and shampoo and robes , and have multiple long hot showers, are they stealing too? Hotels expect some people to do this, its factored into the price of the room. What if two women were getting ready to go out, both using hair dryers at same time or boiling a kettle and doing their hair. Has anyone in history ever overloaded a hotel room circuit? I dont think it happens because its extra effort for the hotel to stop what theyre doing and  fix your power or call for maintenance. A kettle would use around 2400w and 2000-2400w (240v) for a decent hair dryer. Thats 4400- 4800w you could use to run your rigs on just 2 outlets, even if it means disconnecting the tv.

I'm not a cheap ass, so I don't steal their shitty soap and shampoo.  I actually take my own when I go to a hotel, because I like the brand of soap, shampoo, and lotion that I use. Lol.  Stealing a robe from an expensive hotel in the United States would probably end up in them charging your credit card for it.  Maybe not, I don't know, because I've never taken one.  When they started banning smoking in hotel rooms in the United States, Marriott was charging a $300 cleaning fee to your credit card, if they had evidence that you smoked in their room.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
64dimensions

Activity: 578
Merit: 508

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 03:01:42 AM

Given the current air travel environment, wouldn't baggage charges reduce the chance for any profit?
shaninium

Activity: 489
Merit: 253

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 03:27:32 AM

Given the current air travel environment, wouldn't baggage charges reduce the chance for any profit?

Carrying a riserless rig in suitcases would be very heavy but you could take the case out and just have a motherboard with cards on a light weight surface to lighten the load. I never considered air travel and rigs, the metal detector  would go nuts. Im thinking of a traveller on the road with a vehicle. A self funding digital nomad who can get free accommodation  and travel by mining in a truck / winnabago with a powerful alternator , batteries, solar power, inverters etc. when travelling and using caravan parks or cheap hotels / motels for free power and recharging. Even better if one uses an electric vehicle. And if the markets keep going up then thats even better. All expenses covered by mining and crypto trading while on a never ending holiday on the road. No rent ,mortgage or land rates to pay with free power and just travelling the country. Obviously your power needs to be expensive in the first place to make this worth while.

gotminer

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 03:28:05 AM

I think more than that would reduce profit.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
coins4commies (OP)

Activity: 952
Merit: 175

@cryptocommies

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 04:06:06 AM

The amount you make off of rigs would be a lot of work unless you just stayed at the same hotel month long and wven then i dont know i would want to stay at a hotel that you pay 5-10 a night at.  Undecided

Exactly ... It's not like you're going to be able to go to a hotel and plug in several rigs (30 gpu's) in one room.  Lights out my friend.  Lol ... Aside from the fact that I don't think it is morally right, it's just a stupid idea that wouldn't be worth the hassle.  Hope it's an all-inclusive resort, because you wouldn't be able to afford to eat and pay to rent the room.

The premise is that you are in a place with a low cost of living.  A small, 4 card rig can make 30 USD regardless of where it is plugged in.  30 USD in many places won't be enough to pay for a hotel or eat but if you take that rig to the right place.  30 USD could cover a decent hotel (or airbnb) and 3 meals quite easily.   

https://www.expedia.com/Hanoi-Hotels-Green-House.h21851614.Hotel-Information?chkin=3%2F18%2F2018&chkout=3%2F19%2F2018&rm1=a2&regionId=6054458&hwrqCacheKey=90195000-d978-4501-a38d-e8da836a7b2cHWRQ1518753390125&vip=false&c=59bc626e-e5b0-4792-a2e4-9eed3777f7fb&mctc=10&exp_dp=9&exp_ts=1518753428468&exp_curr=USD&swpToggleOn=false&exp_pg=HSR
9 dollars per night and you can eat really amazing meals for 10 dollars at a full service restaurant and 1 dollar for street food.  the breakfast buffet at the hilton was 15 and a steak dinner at the other 5 star hotel was 20.

hotel: hanoi tulip- 9
breakfast: street pho: 1
lunch: bahm mi sandwich: 2
dinner: top tripadvisor restaurant: 10
10 Drinks: 5

Total: 27

You could essentially subsidize a basic life.  There are much cheaper hotels outside of the city and also sketchy hotels that aren't listed on expedia but are much cheaper and geared towards domestic travelers.  Even though a 2.5 star hotel for 9 dollars might seem unappealing, they actually aren't that bad. 
texasman86

Activity: 294
Merit: 104

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 04:22:32 AM

Rather than wifi, tether to your phone or something else.
spoonminer

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 06:28:11 AM

This whole thread is rather entertaining. I don't think anyone who can afford to build a $2-4k rig is going to consider living like this. We've got better things to do.
worldzuber

Activity: 11

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 10:20:32 AM

electricity is expensive
Tidsdilatation

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2018, 10:32:27 AM

You would get kicked out after they get their first bill  Grin "wtf how come we are using 4x power now??? roomservice, have u seen something weird when u cleaned the rooms???" Its a fun taught but i dont think its doable in reality  Sad
hack4love

Activity: 152

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 12:07:35 PM

come to my  home free electricity  just we pay 5 $  fixed every month  Grin

Sure.  And then I get shot dead, you keep my rig.  How will you dispose of my body?  In your country, probably easy.

why i dispose  of your body i will sell all your organs   Cheesy  and buy more cards  Cool
gotminer

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 01:20:59 PM

This whole thread is rather entertaining. I don't think anyone who can afford to build a $2-4k rig is going to consider living like this. We've got better things to do.

Exactly.

greenfailure

Activity: 145
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 03:48:23 PM

real scheme:

power included storage facilities, viable in cold climates where the storage units are located outside in sub-zero temps year around.

I might know a friend doing this, costs ~150$/month per unit, and each unit has enough power for a 12 gtx 1080 ti rig.

Owner/Operator of LARGEST Greater Toronto Area mining operation.

BUY BITCOIN
gotminer

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 03:59:27 PM

real scheme:

power included storage facilities, viable in cold climates where the storage units are located outside in sub-zero temps year around.

I might know a friend doing this, costs ~150$/month per unit, and each unit has enough power for a 12 gtx 1080 ti rig.

I can power 12 1080ti's for a little less than that at my house and have the convenience of having the rigs at my house using an internet connection that is already there.

Bob-Bit

Activity: 241
Merit: 6

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 05:27:38 PM

Here's my twist on this quite imaginative idea. So you use an 8 GPU rig that is approaching not being profitable(if you had to pay for power). Instead of staying at hotels/motels stay at Airbnb houses. Message the owner before renting their place to confirm the internet is good, and wired, and tell them "I need the internet for work, it is critical that it works, or I will be forced to find a new place. I build custom computers for people. I have a system I built that I will need to do testing on. I also need to confirm that there will be a spot to plug in my system near where the internet is located. Thanks." Then your not stealing anything. Also, usually nobody comes into your Airbnb for the week so there shouldn't be random maids running about the place, and you should be able to just lock your doors and not worry.

★ PRiVCY ➢ Own Your Privacy! ➢ Best privacy crypto-market! ★
✈✈✈[PoW/PoS]✅[Tor]✅✈✈✈ (https://privcy.eu/)
Bob-Bit

Activity: 241
Merit: 6

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 06:10:39 PM

Road trip!

★ PRiVCY ➢ Own Your Privacy! ➢ Best privacy crypto-market! ★
✈✈✈[PoW/PoS]✅[Tor]✅✈✈✈ (https://privcy.eu/)
squareware

Activity: 31

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 06:30:13 PM

Maybe get a job where you have your own office with airco.
Twice the income.
gotminer

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 06:53:56 PM

Twice the income.

You're FIRED!

leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 03:28:41 PM

Twice the income.

You're FIRED!

Lol, i remember one of the users seeking help on how to mine with office desktops unnoticed by the end users and so happens that he is the owner.  Cheesy call it maximizing resources.
FaithGlover85

Activity: 3

View Profile
September 05, 2020, 07:28:26 PM
Last edit: September 07, 2020, 06:57:31 AM by FaithGlover85

I have to agree that stealing very cheap soap, shampoo and towels from hotels is very stupid, and not only will the hotel require you to pay for everything that was stolen and also make you pay a fine. Although it happens that you rent a room for 1-2 days and not on purpose, you take shampoo and toothpaste with you. In general, you won't be able to make money on this, at least I don't think so. In general, the main goal of any hotel is to provide ideal conditions for relaxation. And first of all, each person needs to think not about how to make money staying in a hotel, but how to spend time most pleasantly. In general, it is important to find a good place to stay. For example, historic wedding venues Charleston is the perfect place where you can not only relax, but also learn a lot of interesting things for yourself.
RabbiTANK

Activity: 224
Merit: 18

Sovryn - Brings DeFi to Bitcoin

View Profile
September 06, 2020, 06:10:58 AM

another cool fantasy for if profitability goes back up is to carry a rig around to cheap hotels and use the ac to cool it and the rig brings in the cost of the hotel.  I have a small ish 6 card rig that is about the size of a suitcase that could have brought in 40 dollars a day 2 weeks ago. 

Imagine this same concept with higher profitability.  You could travel for free.  My only question is how would airplanes feel about a mining rig in checked luggage?   Customs? 

I'd love to set this up in southeast asia and spend about 20 dollars a day on the hotel. 10 on food and live a life of free travel.  Just be worried about the rig being stolen.
Carrying your mining rig up and down wont do you any good, I used to do this some years ago because of lack of electricity in my area so I travel to my friend place and get few gpu spoiled in the process, I can see few pill off connection at the back of the graphic cards

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: