Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:57:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why the Bitcoin price is not going to fall below a certain price point  (Read 387 times)
Viper1

Activity: 686
Merit: 320

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 02:19:41 PM

Theres no such thing as a cost of production for bitcoin. The bitcoin difficult is adjusted every 10 minutes to account for network competition. Mining doesnt affect price - other way around.

That's like saying that there is no cost for mining gold or other valuables because the price is determined when you sell it.
Sounds a bit like Schrodingers Cat.

Current Bitcoin difficulty and available mining gear does represent the cost of a Bitcoin.

No the price of mining gold is pretty fixed. You have tractors and digging and labor etc. and it's always the same regardless of the price of gold. The cost of mining gold is not a variable in a computer. You absolutely need a certain amount of money to mine gold regardless of how many people are mining gold. With bitcoin, on the other hand, if all the other miners except you stopped mining, then the cost of mining bitcoins would be 0 for  you.

Cost of mining is, at a bare minimum, your electricity. So no, not 0.
Its essentially 0. If youre the only one mining then difficulty levels would approach 0 and no matter how much power you used every 10 minutes you would get 12.5 bitcoins. You could be using 1hz or your cpu on your ipad, and your cost of mining one bitcoin is 1 cent. I dont think you can describe any kind of similar situation with gold - its strictly a feature of the bitcoin protocol in which bitcoin will survive and work exactly the same way no matter how many miners there are. Oh and some places have free power, but thats beside the point.
I realize you're trying to create scenarios that are far from the reality of the situation so you can justify your position, but there is a cost to produce bitcoin. Electricity is just one thing. You have your "labour" costs. ROI of your equipment, replacement costs yada yada yada yada. Yes, you can put together a scenario and claim that means it's zero, but that's not reality. I could play the same game you're doing and make the argument that it would cost me nothing to go out and mine some gold.

BTC: 1F8yJqgjeFyX1SX6KJmqYtHiHXJA89ENNT
LTC: LYAEPQeDDM7Y4jbUH2AwhBmkzThAGecNBV
DOGE: DSUsCCdt98PcNgUkFHLDFdQXmPrQBEqXu9

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Wilhelm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 02:22:27 PM

Theres no such thing as a cost of production for bitcoin. The bitcoin difficult is adjusted every 10 minutes to account for network competition. Mining doesnt affect price - other way around.

That's like saying that there is no cost for mining gold or other valuables because the price is determined when you sell it.
Sounds a bit like Schrodingers Cat.

Current Bitcoin difficulty and available mining gear does represent the cost of a Bitcoin.

No the price of mining gold is pretty fixed. You have tractors and digging and labor etc. and it's always the same regardless of the price of gold. The cost of mining gold is not a variable in a computer. You absolutely need a certain amount of money to mine gold regardless of how many people are mining gold. With bitcoin, on the other hand, if all the other miners except you stopped mining, then the cost of mining bitcoins would be 0 for  you.

Cost of mining is, at a bare minimum, your electricity. So no, not 0.
Its essentially 0. If youre the only one mining then difficulty levels would approach 0 and no matter how much power you used every 10 minutes you would get 12.5 bitcoins. You could be using 1hz or your cpu on your ipad, and your cost of mining one bitcoin is 1 cent. I dont think you can describe any kind of similar situation with gold - its strictly a feature of the bitcoin protocol in which bitcoin will survive and work exactly the same way no matter how many miners there are. Oh and some places have free power, but thats beside the point.

Well if some geologist finds a gigantic gold-pocket of 1B tons on some mountain terrain .....
If alternative materials are developed that are non-corrosive and have good electrical properties ....

At some point in the past the value of pepper was sky-high .... now every person has it in their kitchen.

All prices adjust....

Your argument is invalid Smiley

Bitcoin is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get !!
talkbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1032

All I know is that I know nothing.

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 02:23:14 PM

(snipped)

If you missed Fluffypony's interview, he already said that if somebody attempted to develop an ASIC for Monero, their team would break it.  And he said it really confidently too.

as much as i'd love to, i don't follow these stuff. but that makes sense.
i know that one of the ways of fighting with ASICs is to change algorithm often so that the hardware becomes obsolete.

.L I V E C O I N . N E T.
..PROFITBOX..
██  █████████████████████████
  █████████▄      ▄██████████
█████████████▄  ▄████████████
    █████████████████████████
  ██████████▀    ▀█ ▀████████
████  █████▀  ▄▄  ▀█  ▀██████
  ████████▀  ▄██▄  ▀█   ▀████
    ██████   ▀██▀   ██   ████
  █████████▄      ▄██████████
██  █████████▄  ▄████████████
  ███████████████████████████
██  █████████████████████████
  █████████████████████▀ ███
█████████████████████▀   ███
    █████████████▀     ████
  █████████████▀   ██    ████
████  █████▀     ██    ████
  ███████▀   ██    ██    ████
    █████    ██    ██    ████
  ███████    ██    ██    ████
██  █████    ██    ██    ████
  ███████████████████████████
fabiorem

Activity: 1400
Merit: 347

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 02:24:25 PM

The cost of mining is something bears dont take into account. Thats why we dont take them seriously. If they would be a bit reasonable about their predictions, we would listen more to them. The only bear which I think was realistic was sgbett, his prediction of a bottom is exact the same cost of mining, around $4100. We want more bears like that, that can call the bottom without doomsday predictions.

Of course, the difficult can be adjusted so that mining spend less energy, but this would attract more miners, which would increase the price again due to demand. So, even if it fall to $2500, it would be temporary, and I would consider that the "despair phase" of the elliot wave chart, the "return to the mean" being $4100.

I just sold a small fraction yesterday and put a buy order around that price. Maybe with I getting one for the team, the price will rise. I hope it does, at least starting from 16 february.
Samarkand (OP)

Activity: 658
Merit: 282

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 10:53:22 AM

(snipped)

If you missed Fluffypony's interview, he already said that if somebody attempted to develop an ASIC for Monero, their team would break it.  And he said it really confidently too.

as much as i'd love to, i don't follow these stuff. but that makes sense.
i know that one of the ways of fighting with ASICs is to change algorithm often so that the hardware becomes obsolete.

Changing the consensus algorithm from time to time may be able
to prevent ASICs from being used. However, it has several disadvantages.

What happens if you switch to an algorithm that is flawed in some way?
This could destroy the trust in the project and trust definitely is essential
for the success of any cryptocurrency.

There is not an unlimited amount of algorithms that you can use, which
would make it a cat-and-mouse game between developers and miners.
Due to the potentially large gains every miner is heavily incentivized to use
ASICs in order to increase the profit of his mining operations.

Regarding the BTC price:
So far the Bitcoin price is far away from the levels where miners would need
to prop up the price. As I already said I´m still confident that we will
never see 1000 $ / BTC again.

Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2449

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2018, 01:21:49 PM

If the returns from finding a block drop below the cost of mining, then miners will turn to another coin, or only accept transactions with high fees. This may be an outcome that the deep state would want to create, so it could be worth their while to depress the price of Bitcoin.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
Samarkand (OP)

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 01:30:26 PM

If the returns from finding a block drop below the cost of mining, then miners will turn to another coin, or only accept transactions with high fees. This may be an outcome that the deep state would want to create, so it could be worth their while to depress the price of Bitcoin.

This may be possible when you switch from mining one altcoin to another.
However, I´d argue that it is impossible if you switch from mining Bitcoin to
mining an altcoin for two reasons:

1. Bitcoin mining is only really possible usings ASICs these days and most altcoins can´t be mined
using these ASICs
2. The professional miners have a lot of hardware (=hashrate), switching to a different coin
would immediately destroy the profitability of mining the different coin

Only a high-market cap coin with a lot of active hashpower can absorb the kind of computing
power that goes into mining Bitcoin.

E.g. if you would switch from mining BTC to mining a random proof-of-work altcoin
you can´t switch thousands of ASICs without increasing the hashrate of the altcoin mining
by a magnitude, which would make it unprofitable.

Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2449

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2018, 02:21:19 PM

Surely you could switch some of the rigs though.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
Beerwizzard

Activity: 924
Merit: 148

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 10:30:14 PM

In my opinion the main influencing factor is the cost of mining.
Miners definetely lobbying their interests among the bitcoin community but the mining cost doesn't realy have such a great impact on the BTC demand and price. Then why can't we just somehow increase the mining costs to make Bitcoin moon again? Or why BTC did not became cheaper after people started mining on ASICs with a higher hashrate then gpu (literally made mining cheaper)? Bitcoin is not falling below some points mostly because the support level is forming on the charts that is determined by market psychology. BTC priced is formed by the market, if you produce something in real life and determine the price for the product it doesn't mean thet customer will have the same evaluation of this price.
Yuuto

Activity: 644
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 11:39:21 PM

Bitcoin will fall below $1,000 because there aren't enough people out there who want to buy bitcoin who will keep it that high. Miners can be incentivized all they want, it doesn't matter unless there are buyers out there. Why would anyone buy bitcoin now when they have so many options of alt coins, and bitcoin has so many major problems with scalability? They certainly are not buying bitcoin as a store of value since it is clearly failing as a store of value, and they aren't buying bitcoin to spend it as a currency since sending it to someone else requires nosebleed fees and often multiple days of waiting.

Why is bitcoin worth anything more than a tiny, speculative market cap? $100 million would be generous IMO, putting the price per bitcoin around $60 per bitcoin. That is a very optimistic/bullish estimate for the real value of bitcoin and where the price could end up.

If you think that bitcoin is already a speculative bubble, then why don't you think that altcoins are even more so?

I'll tell you this for sure. There are way more altcoins that are in a much larger speculative bubble compared to bitcoin. And they don't have the answer to scalability either. At least all altcoins that I know of, how a flaw one way or another.

Also, ask around on the forum, how many people think that this current price level, nearing $10k, is a good time to buy. Let alone $1k which I wish we could return to at the moment so that I can stock up on coins.

$60 is ridiculous. And you saying that miners have no impact on the network is more ridiculous.
gabmen

Activity: 1246
Merit: 529

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 01:48:52 PM

Well they've tried. Fuds everywhere timed with the correction made the price drop by more than 50%. I don't see anything that can make the price plunge any further than the support we bounced back from close to 5k. A few more dips probably but i feel confident we've seen the worst for now

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
Report to moderator 

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..███████████████████████████████
lablab03

Activity: 1064
Merit: 112

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 02:08:46 PM

Cost of mining a bitcoin is way higher than $60 so stop the FUD please Smiley
yes this is right the price will never go dip because there are still bitcoin miners nowadays, so even we panic selling the bitcoin will stop on its bottom because of some miners. and it will never go dip like our thought., so perhaps the bottom is 7k . And I think it will never decrease more because of the demand from the miners.  
aardvark15

Activity: 994
Merit: 510

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 03:15:03 PM

At some point, the price will get low enough that more buyers will enter the market than sellers. Bitcoin may already be at or near that point. Another thing that helps keep the price up is that there were a lot of buyers above $15,000. They will see $8000 as a cheap price compared to what they already paid for Bitcoin last year. These newer investors weren’t around when the price was $1000.
andrei56

Activity: 840
Merit: 254

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 04:29:34 AM

Bitcoin will fall below $1,000 because there aren't enough people out there who want to buy bitcoin who will keep it that high. Miners can be incentivized all they want, it doesn't matter unless there are buyers out there. Why would anyone buy bitcoin now when they have so many options of alt coins, and bitcoin has so many major problems with scalability? They certainly are not buying bitcoin as a store of value since it is clearly failing as a store of value, and they aren't buying bitcoin to spend it as a currency since sending it to someone else requires nosebleed fees and often multiple days of waiting.

Why is bitcoin worth anything more than a tiny, speculative market cap? $100 million would be generous IMO, putting the price per bitcoin around $60 per bitcoin. That is a very optimistic/bullish estimate for the real value of bitcoin and where the price could end up.
We get it, you do not like bitcoin, but what makes you think that is going to make any altcoin more valuable, when most coins are just cheap copies of the original, most coins claiming to have a better technology are just hyping their coins and nothing more, if bitcoin dropped that much in price most altcoins will drop even more besides if you were right the price will not be as high as it is now.
Samarkand (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 10:16:58 AM

Update:
Secretive Chinese bitcoin mining company may have made as much money as Nvidia last year

Based on conservative estimates of gross margin of 75 percent and operating margin of 65 percent,
Bernstein analysts calculate that Beijing-based Bitmain made $3 billion to $4 billion in operating profits in 2017.

This is a new CNBC article that shares this estimate of how much money Bitmain has made in 2017.
Now remember that 10-20M $ are enough to prop up the BTC price temporarily and you can see
that they have a huge warchest to do whatever is necessary to keep up the price. And this is only
a single company that is not even only a mining company nowadays.

If you think they will just let their business that generates 3-4 billion $ / year in profits fail and close their operations
you are completely delusional.

Bitcoin won´t fall below the average cost of mining a single Bitcoin and everyone who makes predictions
like BTC at 1000 $ or lower doesn´t understand the incentives in play here.

buwaytress
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 3437

Join the world-leading crypto sportsbook NOW!

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 11:40:38 AM

Update:
Secretive Chinese bitcoin mining company may have made as much money as Nvidia last year

Based on conservative estimates of gross margin of 75 percent and operating margin of 65 percent,
Bernstein analysts calculate that Beijing-based Bitmain made $3 billion to $4 billion in operating profits in 2017.

This is a new CNBC article that shares this estimate of how much money Bitmain has made in 2017.
Now remember that 10-20M $ are enough to prop up the BTC price temporarily and you can see
that they have a huge warchest to do whatever is necessary to keep up the price. And this is only
a single company that is not even only a mining company nowadays.

If you think they will just let their business that generates 3-4 billion $ / year in profits fail and close their operations
you are completely delusional.

Bitcoin won´t fall below the average cost of mining a single Bitcoin and everyone who makes predictions
like BTC at 1000 $ or lower doesn´t understand the incentives in play here.

Somehow missed this, I see you made this post a couple of weeks back. Now, I've always felt that miners play at least a small role in propping up Bitcoin prices - at least in the very act of selling the bitcoins they generate. If the overhead calculations are correct, then they would need to put up more than half of the coins they generate on the market for selling daily. I suspect that this is a lot less - a lot of other factors aren't taken into account (BTC isn't also the only coin mined).

But temper this: last year, when the price really rose, was also the year that saw a lot of new entrants into the mining industry - major players like Bitmain are not increasing, but losing their majority hashpower. They can't do much on their own ($20m is as you say only a temporary measure and this warchest is not liquid) and we've seen even post NYA that miners actually aren't the collective force we thought they might be.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██