Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 02:25:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethereum surpasses Bitcoin market cap - is Bitcoin then considered an Alt?  (Read 139 times)
etherflip (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 103
Merit: 7

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 10:53:04 PM

Or is the history of this term further rooted?

neatworld

Activity: 293
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 10:59:05 PM

I would say so. Bitcoin is the original cryptocurrency - the first time anyone ever heard of the the concept of blocks and chains. Which makes any other crypto that follows an Alernative Currency, i.e, an Alt.
lobo13hf

Activity: 2268
Merit: 507

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 11:32:10 PM

No, If ethereum surpass bitcoin and it doesn't mean a lot to us. Only the place of bitcoin will be replacing ethereum if it already exceeded the bitcoin. Bitcoin will be the same as bitcoin itself.
As long as the majority of crypto still use the bitcoin as the leading pair to theirs and then it should be considered as the first number of cryptocurrency based on its adoption by another altcoin.

████▄██████████▄
███▄████████████
▄███▀
████
████
████
▀███▄
███▀████████████
████▀██████████▀

▄██████████▄
████████████
███████████▀███▄
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
▀███▄███████████
████████████████
████▀██████████▀

▄██▄█████████▄██▄
▀████▄█████▄████▀
▀████▄▄████▀
███████████
▄███▀█████▀███▄
█████████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
▀███████████████▀

▄███████████████▄
█████████████████
████▀███▀██████▀
███████▄█████▀
████▄▄██████████▄
▀▀██████▀███████
▄██████▄███▄████
█████▀██████████
▀██▀███▀████████▀

████▄███████████
████████████████
▄███▀███████████
███████████████
██████████████
████████████████
███████████▄███▀
████████████
▀██████████▀
████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████
|
Listed
on
BINANCE
KUCOIN
Gate.io
|
ItsEzMkay

Activity: 303
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 12:54:00 AM

Can you guys actually see this happening though? I mean temporarily yes it probably can as things can quite close last year but I think if it happens it happens briefly and then things go back to normal. Just dont envision Ethereum being worth one fifth of Bitcoin when it is all said and done but I could be supremely wrong.

xcbjsuw

Activity: 420
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 01:12:24 AM

It would be very difficult to go beyond bitcoin,
look at ethereum price only 10% of bitcoin. in my opinion bitcoin and ethereum will remain like this.
Jpti

Activity: 560
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 01:20:43 AM

Bitcoin was the first of the cryptocurrency and this is a bitcoin forum. It discussed about bitcoin primarily and with the development of other cryptocurrencies, a section was designated for other alternative cryptos.
Alt coins is a just a relative term for this forum, Ethereum or other cryptocurrencies and their forum doesn't call themselves alts. Rather they may call everyone but them, alts.

=====================================================
BILLCRYPT - CREATING HISTORY
=====================================================
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 01:30:02 AM

never.

bitcoin will always be separate from others. nothing has the history that it does. actual market cap won't matter. and anyone using market cap as their be all and end all really should think again.

ethereum is all about utility. i have zero doubt that a better coin will come along at some point that does things simpler, safer and more securely. as a world computer it's... not great. at that point what happens when ethereum is flipped?

bitcoin is not in competition with ethereum. same goes for many other coins. the sooner they're regarded as totally different propositions the better. this flippening crap is tired and old.

the only thing they're competing for is pumper funds. as this is still regarded as the number one factor it goes to show how much further we have to go.
xiaoxz

Activity: 196
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 01:39:44 AM

I always think Bitcoin is a proxy for all cryptos and can not be surpassed, but now I believe Eth is likely to outperform bitcoin.
What Bitcoin represents is more about value storage and payment, while Eth stands for blockchain, and blockchain is going fast.
ismart1

Activity: 1008
Merit: 127

Make a difference, make it better.

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2018, 01:54:29 AM

The fact is that the term alt was issued referring to any other coin that is not bitcoin. So based on this conception, the term has nothing to do with its value, market dominance or other possibilities that can come to the crypto scenario, the term alt simply state the obvious: they came after and they are an alternative to the first. The same way that you can not go back to 2008 and invent the Ethereum or any other coin to have other alts to that coin, Bitcoin will always be bitcoin and all other will be alternatives to it, end of story.

imusify    Award-Winning Blockchain Music Platform    Presale starts March 1
Discord Product Demo O3 Wallet  ::  Get Whitelisted 
Whitepaper    ANNFacebookTwitterTelegramRedditMediumGitHubYouTubeLinkedIN    Explainer Video
kayvie

Activity: 1022
Merit: 257

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 02:02:55 AM

bitcoin is the mother of all altcoin, you wont compare an altcoin to bitcoin because altcoin will never ever surpass bitcoin. even ethereum who shows big potential in the market.
alyssa85
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 02:03:06 AM

Can you guys actually see this happening though? I mean temporarily yes it probably can as things can quite close last year but I think if it happens it happens briefly and then things go back to normal. Just dont envision Ethereum being worth one fifth of Bitcoin when it is all said and done but I could be supremely wrong.

About two years ago when they first started to talk about the flippening, it seemed impossible.

But as of today, Bitcoin's market cap is $128bn and Ethereum's is $75 bn. If you all in all the ICOs built on Ethereum's platform, it's already surpassed bitcoin.

Then look at the number of transactions done in a 24 hour period:

https://bitinfocharts.com/

bitcoin had 238,476, but Ethereum had 887,933. So on that measure Ethereum has already surpassed bitcoin.

All that is left is merchant adoption. Since bitcoin had that fee problem last december, merchants have been adding other alts. They usually Litecoin and Bitcoincash, but lots are adding Ethereum as well. The more this continues, the more of a network effect ethereum will have.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit InvestBox.|.BUY X10 AND EARN 10% DAILY.🏆
rezurect

Activity: 686
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 02:07:13 AM

I don't know about being considered an alt, bitcoin was still first. But it would probably be a turning point.
easytipz

Activity: 378
Merit: 102

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 02:20:42 AM

Let's wait, hope... and see!
PhucS

Activity: 742
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 02:21:02 AM

No, I don't think that will happen. Ethereum is gradually developing stronger, its potential is huge when a lot of supporters but to overcome Bitcoin is not easy, Bitcoin is in crisis but it is still very valuable. And although ETH has beaten Bitcoin, I think Bitcoin can't be considered an altcoin either, because it is one of the first cryptocurrency in the world. Altcoins are the coins that appeared after Bitcoin, based on Bitcoin's platform for development
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: