Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 03:49:33 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: scam or stealing of accounts  (Read 539 times)
mamadmankan (OP)

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 05:33:09 AM

hey

i was wondering if you give out like your address like the BTC address to someone can they scam you or steal your coins or BTC from you ? or is there anything i can do do make it more secure like ive seen the sign in message and other things like signature and stuff like that !! what kind of security measures can i take ??

thank you
regards
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2013, 05:37:49 AM

Unless the algorithm of bitcoin is compromised, showing your bitcoin address (like the one in my profile) to people should never be able to result in the coins within it being stolen. You only need to protect the corresponding private key with your life.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
mamadmankan (OP)

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 05:49:23 AM

Unless the algorithm of bitcoin is compromised, showing your bitcoin address (like the one in my profile) to people should never be able to result in the coins within it being stolen. You only need to protect the corresponding private key with your life.

what do you mean the "corresponding private key" where do i find that sorry for the noobie questions

regards
Hyperbolical

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 02:14:58 PM

what do you mean the "corresponding private key" where do i find that sorry for the noobie questions
When you use bitcoin, you have a special "password" called a private key (this is stored in your wallet.dat file if you're using bitcoin-Qt). It's then possible to apply an algorithm to generate an address from this key, however, it's basically impossible to reverse that algorithm (so given the address, you can't find out the private key, hence you can safely share your address with anyone).

It turns out that it's possible to prove that you have the private key for a particular address, without revealing the private key itself. Proving that you have the private key for an address to the bitcoin network lets you spend any bitcoins sent to that address (this also means that you must NOT share your private key with anyone else, otherwise they will be able to spend all of your bitcoins). It's a good idea to encrypt your private keys with a strong password and then backup your private keys to several locations to ensure that your bitcoins are safe, even if your computer breaks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: