Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 03:30:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What would happen to bitcoin if someone went ahead with a 51% attack?  (Read 3398 times)
alexout (OP)

Activity: 256
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 10:58:56 AM

So I was talking to a friend who introduced me to bitcoins and he was telling me about how a 51% attack would cause a lot of instability to the bitcoin network.

I still havent fully understood exactly how that would work.

First,

how do you gain control of 51% of the network? Is it by having 51% of the mining power or just own 51% of the bitcoins?

Also if someone go through with it, what would happen?

and my final question is;

Is there anything that can be done to avoid this in the future? Can the code of bitcoin be reprogrammed to not have such a weakness?(because it seems like a pretty big weakness to me)

MA5H3D

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 11:29:18 AM

This question has been asked and answered too many times to count..
Search this forum for "51%" and you'll find some very comprehensive answers.
marcovaldo

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 11:57:07 AM

It does not take if you have 0% - 1% or 90% of the bitcoins.
What matters is if you have more than 51% of the mining power. Miners are accepting transactions. It is a decentralized currency. If you have more than 51% of the power, you can freely choose which transactions can proceed or not. No matter if the owner of the bitcoins wants to send them or not. You can do whatever you want, because you are the majority. That's like if you got 51% of the voting power, you can choose the president, no matter what.

There is some option to reduce the risk of 51% attack, you can do some research about it.

BITEX
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                              ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███

The First Locally-Embedded, Yet Global, Crypto-Bank
TELEGRAM    FACEBOOK   TWITTER    YOUTUBE    LINE

███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
               ███     ███     ███
                 ███     ███     ███

WHITEPAPER | ANN
JOIN WHITELIST NOW!
alexout (OP)

Activity: 256
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 12:01:35 PM

I went and read some of them.

I guess what surprises me is that why is so much faith being put into bitcoin when an entity like the US government could easily attack bit coins at will.

Arent we being naive to believe noone will actually try and do it once they understand that its possible?

The US government obviously never wants the the Dollar to lose its status as the world reserve currency. Wouldnt they do anything in their power to prevent anyone else from contending against the USD? I realize bitcoin cannot contend at this point in time and probably never will.

However bitcoin still makes it easier for people to move money around anonymously. This is obv something that the US especially would NOT be very thrilled about.

ld love for BTC to succeed, but the 51% attack that apparently cannot be prevented seems like a very very big flaw, that might ultimately kill bitcoin.

Is it not possible to prevent this type of thing?

Don't we need an upgraded form of bit coin that isnt susceptible to this type of kill switch?
Hyperbolical

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 12:40:48 PM

Arent we being naive to believe noone will actually try and do it once they understand that its possible?
People have been well aware for a long time that a 51% attack is technically possible, however the bitcoin network has a huge amount of processing power, for example: http://www.geek.com/news/bitcoin-mining-network-8x-faster-than-top-500-super-computers-1554946/, although admittedly the hashes/second are not directly comparable to FLOPS, it gives some idea of how difficult it would be to get enough processing power to perform a 51% attack.

Don't we need an upgraded form of bit coin that isnt susceptible
I'm pretty sure that if there was any obvious way to remove the risk of a 51% attack without sacrificing the advantages of bitcoin then someone would have implemented it. It's easy to complain about some theoretical weakness, but much harder to actually come up with a solution.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 12:58:05 PM

What matters is if you have more than 51% of the mining power. Miners are accepting transactions. It is a decentralized currency. If you have more than 51% of the power, you can freely choose which transactions can proceed or not. No matter if the owner of the bitcoins wants to send them or not. You can do whatever you want, because you are the majority. That's like if you got 51% of the voting power, you can choose the president, no matter what.

There is some option to reduce the risk of 51% attack, you can do some research about it.
You really don't have a clue what is a 51% attack...

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 01:25:55 PM

Actually you don't really have a clue what a 51% attack. What marcovaldo says is right.

People have been well aware for a long time that a 51% attack is technically possible, however the bitcoin network has a huge amount of processing power, for example: http://www.geek.com/news/bitcoin-mining-network-8x-faster-than-top-500-super-computers-1554946/, although admittedly the hashes/second are not directly comparable to FLOPS, it gives some idea of how difficult it would be to get enough processing power to perform a 51% attack.

Actually you just have to spend like 10 millions $ or so in ASIC to be able to successfully do a 51% attack.

jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 01:28:03 PM

Actually you don't really have a clue what a 51% attack. What marcovaldo says is right.

If you have more than 51% of the power, you can freely choose which transactions can proceed or not.

Roll Eyes

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 01:36:49 PM

That is right, you choose wich transaction get confirmed and wich not. As you know an unconfirmed transaction is epic vulnerable to double spend and cannot be trusted.

Tirapon

Activity: 898
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 02:40:16 PM

If you have more than 51% of the power, you can freely choose which transactions can proceed or not.

Roll Eyes

Well yeah, if you can hash faster than the rest of the network you have control. Statistically, you should be able to create new blocks at a rate which guarantees that your chain is accepted above all others, i.e. everything else gets orphaned. If you wanted to stall the system, you could create blocks with no transactions and nobody would be able to send or receive coins.
jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 02:49:26 PM

That is right, you choose wich transaction get confirmed and wich not. As you know an unconfirmed transaction is epic vulnerable to double spend and cannot be trusted.
My bad, I had something else in mind(mining on your side then releasing to the world). The attack you're talking about is so easily avoidable I keep forgetting about it.

If I understand them correctly, those two sentences are still wrong though:
No matter if the owner of the bitcoins wants to send them or not.
You can't force people to send their coins
You can do whatever you want, because you are the majority.
You can't change the protocol, nor steal coins for instance

elor70

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 03:24:02 PM

umm what is a 51% attack?

Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 03:26:08 PM

Wrong, you can. You can rewrite all the blockchain from start if you wish. Then you will have mined every block. Thus, all btc will be your and of course the btc and all the transactions of other people will disappear. It is the same concept of a orphaned block, just much bigger. If you find a block and then it is orphaned because someone else found a block in the same second, you "lose" btc, right? Sure, you can say that "well, you never had them, the block was orphaned", but it was orphaned only after you found it.

Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 03:26:36 PM

umm what is a 51% attack?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=51%25+attack

davidgdg

Activity: 551
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 03:39:27 PM

Wrong, you can. You can rewrite all the blockchain from start if you wish. Then you will have mined every block. Thus, all btc will be your and of course the btc and all the transactions of other people will disappear. It is the same concept of a orphaned block, just much bigger. If you find a block and then it is orphaned because someone else found a block in the same second, you "lose" btc, right? Sure, you can say that "well, you never had them, the block was orphaned", but it was orphaned only after you found it.

I'm not sure this is quite correct. My understanding is that this would require the attacker to produce a new blockchain that is bigger than the existing blockchain. That in turn would require not just having 51% of current mining power, but would require the attacker to do more hashing than the entire network has done in its history.  

"There is only one thing that is seriously morally wrong with the world, and that is politics. By 'politics' I mean all that, and only what, involves the State." Jan Lester "Escape from Leviathan"
davidgdg

Activity: 551
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 03:47:50 PM

Made my day Smiley

"There is only one thing that is seriously morally wrong with the world, and that is politics. By 'politics' I mean all that, and only what, involves the State." Jan Lester "Escape from Leviathan"
Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 03:57:21 PM

I'm not sure this is quite correct. My understanding is that this would require the attacker to produce a new blockchain that is bigger than the existing blockchain. That in turn would require not just having 51% of current mining power, but would require the attacker to do more hashing than the entire network has done in its history.  
That is exactly the point of a 51% attack, having more hashing than the rest of the network. Consider that the old blocks were mined with GPU or CPU, it does not take a lot of ASIC to do more hashing than that. It is perfectly doable, if the attacker invest enough money and time (10 millions or so $)
Also it is not you have to rewrite the chain from 0, if you want you can start for example from a year ago

Sheffield

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 07:19:35 PM

Ok this is stupid, the hash rate would skyrocket and while everyone else would make proportionally less lost to attack everyone would earn not as much for "whatever" and then they ask themselves, what are you doing? Even the attacker, but he would have to wait as long as it takes to clear out the rest of people that are not profiting and verifying books... mean time adding bandwidth to squash newcomers, with "2TH rigs by Jan." But 2T/H won't be close to enough by Jan.

Like any and all ventures in this nature, risk tolerance.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4490

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 08:26:41 PM

the perfect solution would be to have moral understanding that ASIC manufacturers wont send too many units out to one person....

..... life isnt perfect

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 09:14:20 PM

the perfect solution would be to have moral understanding that ASIC manufacturers wont send too many units out to one person....

..... life isnt perfect
A government/bank/whatelse can just start manufacturing their ASIC, it is not so hard for them.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: