Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 11:09:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Difference between coins and tokens...  (Read 338 times)
britai ruby

Activity: 76
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 08:23:12 AM

Ethereum is a platform, with it’s own blockchain and Ethereum’s “coin” or better put currency is Ether. Ethereum is similar to Bitcoin in that Bitcoin also uses a blockchain data structure but has it’s own currency called Bitcoin.
A “token” by definition is a representation any fungible tradible good such as currency, loyalty points, gold certificates, in game items and more.

The idea of a token itself is niether exclusive to Ethereum nor any other platform. A token is really an abstraction. It represents that I own a underlying tradable asset.

Currently the Ethereum space is very hot with ICOs which are really token offerings. These tokens represent an exchange medium within the project. For example, Golem Project pays app developers who publish on the platform and CPU renters in GNT

Because GNT represents the internal medium of exchange in the golem project, people who want to participate in this ecosystem must have GNT.

If someone wants to buy GNT but only has ETH, they can offer to trade their currency ETH for my GNT at a price say 0.5ETH / GNT.

In a more real life example. You pay $2 at a pinball machine effectively exchanging your currency for 3 pin balls (tokens) to be used to play within the pinball game.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
minivan

Activity: 263
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 09:29:24 AM

Tokens have a wider functionality than coins, which act as payment means. ICO, which releases tokens, usually has some special purpose for using them
FiveReelsTwo

Activity: 140
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 09:36:57 AM

A simple explanation based on what I understood is that most coins are still not in the market and is not yeat ready for trading. Which sometimes or mostly are used in payments of such transactions on ICO's. While coins are already established one with there own blockchains used also for tading purposes of which tokens might develop on during ICO.

dlhezter

Activity: 434

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 09:49:34 AM

i think the difference of these two is, tokens are made/creates under the smart contract of each blockchain which you can find to all decentralized flatform like Ethereum, waves and so on, while Coins is the main crypto of each blockchain like BTC, Ethereum, LTC, XMR and so on.
foxbat

Activity: 484
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 09:54:46 AM

Haha it's almost always me everyday. Actually, I also regretted selling my pennies and it was x2, x3 for a short time. I know I was too hasty because of the money's draw. That is hardly anyone can resist. That deep, I draw a lot of experience and the best is still hold for a long time
Angel35

Activity: 154
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 10:57:59 AM

Really good question, because most people think that there is no difference at all. But the difference is that coin have it's own Blockchain.
Plimo

Activity: 185

Shopify Developer

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 11:20:02 AM

Coins are their own.
Tokens are a part of a ethereum platform.

marcuslong
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 02:01:58 PM

Hello everyone! as i read through the coin market is saw that there's a different window for the token market and coin market which made me wonder if there's a  difference. Right now, EOS leads the tokens while BTC leads the coins. I hope someone could explain this to me simply.
For my own thought the difference between coins and tokens was the coins is allign already with bitcoin list in the coinmarketcap.As usual if we talked crypto coins the first thing that comes our mind is bitcoin.So my point is coins was directed from bitcoin.So for tokens most of ICO's now are not given coins for their compaign offering to us,because they give us token as our reward.And for me we can't directed the tokens to bitcoin because tokens was converted first to ethereum coin and then after that you can pass through for bitcoin convertion. I would say that in processing method the coin is much nearly to convert bitcoin than the tokens because this two was differs from converting to bitcoin.
Satish147

Activity: 420

Harmony for One and All

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2018, 02:10:30 PM

Coins can be used as currency whereas tokens are used as utility tokens within the ecosystem or company and mostly tokens carry the definition of securites.

So think before invest twice or thrice .

katarin2030

Activity: 406

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 02:22:49 PM

Coins can be used as currency whereas tokens are used as utility tokens within the ecosystem or company and mostly tokens carry the definition of securites.

So think before invest twice or thrice .
Coins are like a medium of exchange, suppose if we have a coin either it could be a bitcoin or altcoin we can convert to fiat mode by means of exchange. Tokens like an asset or as you mentioned it is a utility, Tokens are typically considered a coin that is built upon another coin/platform. 
breeze170

Activity: 186

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 02:25:09 PM

In general coins use their own blockchain associated with them. Tokens use another coins' backbone blockchain. But some people use token as rewards too. Coins generally have higher prices than tokens.

Haunebu

Activity: 3052
Merit: 969

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 02:29:26 PM

Ethereum is a platform, with it’s own blockchain and Ethereum’s “coin” or better put currency is Ether. Ethereum is similar to Bitcoin in that Bitcoin also uses a blockchain data structure but has it’s own currency called Bitcoin.
A “token” by definition is a representation any fungible tradible good such as currency, loyalty points, gold certificates, in game items and more.

The idea of a token itself is niether exclusive to Ethereum nor any other platform. A token is really an abstraction. It represents that I own a underlying tradable asset.

Currently the Ethereum space is very hot with ICOs which are really token offerings. These tokens represent an exchange medium within the project. For example, Golem Project pays app developers who publish on the platform and CPU renters in GNT

Because GNT represents the internal medium of exchange in the golem project, people who want to participate in this ecosystem must have GNT.

If someone wants to buy GNT but only has ETH, they can offer to trade their currency ETH for my GNT at a price say 0.5ETH / GNT.

In a more real life example. You pay $2 at a pinball machine effectively exchanging your currency for 3 pin balls (tokens) to be used to play within the pinball game.
One of the best explanations that I have observed in a while for differentiating between a coin and a token in the crypto world. Initially, I admit that I was kind of confused regarding the difference between coins and tokens and never bothered to learn much about them until a while later. I learnt the difference between them through experienced members of this forum and I understood clearly that both coins and tokens may or may not be valuable, but coins are generally more valuable than tokens due to their separate blockchains and several other aspects which is why I tend to HODL both my coins and tokens for long term profits.

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
Barbut

Activity: 1694
Merit: 502

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 02:37:19 PM

How many wrong answer's in this topic, most of you wrote even you don't understand what you talk about. There are couple good comments, and comments close to the truth but most of the comments in this topic have not logical. Is it so hard to open google and to type some basic words and you will find a tons of informations of any kind, don't trust first one, look on couple places, compare articles and make your own opinion. By looking this thread I understand its too hard for some people to do that.
 'The main difference between altcoins and tokens is in their structure; altcoins are separate currencies with their own separate blockchain while tokens operate on top of a blockchain that facilitates the creation of decentralized applications.' From https://masterthecrypto.com/differences-between-cryptocurrency-coins-and-tokens/

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
alex_kir

Activity: 490

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 02:39:37 PM

Everything is very simple. Those projects that are based on a blockchain of some kind of platform are called tokens, and those projects that have their own blockbuster are called coins. As far as I know, it's all the difference that exists.
pawanjain

Activity: 2674
Merit: 713

Nothing lasts forever

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 04:52:27 PM

The difference between coins and tokens is that coins are actual cryptocurrencies which have their own blockchains and are created solely for a purpose whereas tokens are something that are derived from other coins. Tokens are created and run on other blockchains. For example: most of the ICOs these days create ERC20 token which are created in the Ethereum platform because of its flexibility. We can consider tokens as an essence of coins where coins have greater functionalities.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
dg2010

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 05:06:34 PM

The difference between coins and tokens is that coins are actual cryptocurrencies which have their own blockchains and are created solely for a purpose whereas tokens are something that are derived from other coins. Tokens are created and run on other blockchains. For example: most of the ICOs these days create ERC20 token which are created in the Ethereum platform because of its flexibility. We can consider tokens as an essence of coins where coins have greater functionalities.
i totally agree with your anwser. if we are just the normal investors, we just need focus on the quality of the project. we dont need consider it is coin or token. as long as it can help us get profit.
Murloc

Activity: 322
Merit: 103

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 05:20:02 PM

Altcoins are usualy made on their own blockchain while tokens can use ERC20 for example with all existed pros and cons of the chosen platform. Coins are normaly used as a currency while there is a variety of ways to use them for example as a currency on the particular project or as a share or this project (sometimes both). Also while dealing with tokens the transactions fees are normaly payed in the currency of the platform (ETH for ERC20) while the altcoin fees are taken in the same altcoins. Altcoins can be splited into smaller parts, like 0.1 ETH while you can't seld less than 1 token.

nikjain422

Activity: 126

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 07:50:05 PM

Hello everyone! as i read through the coin market is saw that there's a different window for the token market and coin market which made me wonder if there's a  difference. Right now, EOS leads the tokens while BTC leads the coins. I hope someone could explain this to me simply.
The major difference factor between coins and tokens are coins are mostly established and have been in the market for some time and people already know about them,Whereas tokens are something,which different companies launches their projects as ICOs and they try to promote that soo more and more people gets involved in it by investing their money.Tokens are generally initial stage of the new coin.
RoftheN

Activity: 546

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 08:12:22 PM

The main difference between altcoins and tokens is in their structure; altcoins are separate currencies with their own separate blockchain while tokens operate on top of a blockchain that facilitates the creation of decentralized applications.
wayaneka

Activity: 644
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2018, 02:50:06 AM

Coins is mineable and has own blockchain so everyone can to mine it by self but token is premined that mean only their developer can to create it and these token use other blockchain, Tokens also are actually built on other third platforms and they exist on that platform.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: