Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 12:27:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: This man owed $134 in property taxes. The District sold the lien to an investor  (Read 1210 times)
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 04:12:28 AM

This man owed $134 in property taxes. The District sold the lien to an investor who foreclosed on his $197,000 house and sold it. He and many other homeowners like him were
Left with nothing.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/investigative/2013/09/08/left-with-nothing/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 05:47:40 PM

When I first read this early in the morning, I didn't know what to say; I was pretty upset that this actually happened.

I'm still mad.  This man's life was ruined over $134, as well as others.  It's just stunning how completely heartless people are when faced with the ability to accomplish a feat such as this.

Sage

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 05:55:13 PM

So long as there is property tax there is no private property ownership....  just rental from the government.  If this story doesn't make that illusion of private property visceral real I don't know what will.

This country would have never become the great country it ounce was without private property ownership.

It will never become great again until we re-install that basic tenant of prosperity, private property ownership.
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 05:56:49 PM

Are there any states which do not use a property tax system?

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 06:03:51 PM

After a quick search on the net, it seems all nations have property tax, but tax in a different way.  So it's true; there is no private land, anywhere.

Nigeria Prince

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 06:42:30 PM

It's normal in America.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 07:18:23 PM

It is shameful that the man gave up his house over a $134 tax bill. If he had only paid the $134, he wouldn't have lost his $200,000 home. This is an extreme example of "cutting off the nose to spite the face"!

Having said that, a system that allows the lien holder to keep the entire property regardless of the amount owed is definitely broken. I bet if that man sued the city, he would get his money back (and more)

Let's hope so.  I believe he has dementia; I'm unsure of what having that is like, but I presume it's one of the reasons he didn't rush to pay the bill before losing years of hard work; the only other reason would be lack of funds, which I can relate with.

nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2013, 07:33:59 PM

North Dakota did have a referendum on scrapping property taxes but I know not the outcome.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2013, 09:39:46 PM

The only jurisdiction I know of that charges zero property tax (unless the state and/or county stick their guns in it):
www.cityofstafford.com/home/welcome.htm

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
tinus42

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 01:49:34 PM

So if the house is auctioned off for say $150,000 the private investor can keep the full amount of the money that was raised? And not pay back the surplus to this guy? That seems wrong to me. It must be very lucrative to be in this business then. Roll Eyes
Ekaros

Activity: 728

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 02:54:27 PM

So if the house is auctioned off for say $150,000 the private investor can keep the full amount of the money that was raised? And not pay back the surplus to this guy? That seems wrong to me. It must be very lucrative to be in this business then. Roll Eyes

Must be one very great nation where this sort of stuff happens...

Is it in some third world country?

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 03:07:09 PM

No.  Although the OP makes it seem like that.  The house is foreclosed and sold at auction.  All creditors including the lien holder and mortgage company are paid any excess equity ends up going to the owner.  No different than any other foreclosure.

In this mans case he owed $134 didn't pay it, the lien was sold, 6 months passed and the lien increased to ~$5,000 due to interest, penalties, and fees.  That is likely predatory and some caps should be put into place but I would point out the lien holder "only" got $5K not $197,000.  The amount of his mortgage and lein were more than the house sold at auction so the residual equity was zero.  In other words the man was already broke before the foreclosure occurred.

I do agree with others that there is no such thing as owning property.  Not with perpetual property tax.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 08:59:04 PM

No.  Although the OP makes it seem like that.  The house is foreclosed and sold at auction.  All creditors including the lien holder and mortgage company are paid any excess equity ends up going to the owner.  No different than any other foreclosure.

In this mans case he owed $134 didn't pay it, the lien was sold, 6 months passed and the lien increased to ~$5,000 due to interest, penalties, and fees.  That is likely predatory and some caps should be put into place but I would point out the lien holder "only" got $5K not $197,000.  The amount of his mortgage and lein were more than the house sold at auction so the residual equity was zero.  In other words the man was already broke before the foreclosure occurred.

I may have misread the article, but I thought it said that the mortgage was paid off, and the lien holder got to keep all the equity, not just the amount owed.

If your interpretation is correct, then I don't think there is anything wrong with what happened.

No it never stated the mortgage was paid off only that tax lien holders are paid AHEAD of even the mortgage.  So hypothetical scenario the house is worth $197K, it sells in auction for $160K net.  The lien was $5K, the mortgage was $170K.  The lien holder gets their $5K (not bad if it cost them $134), the mortgage company gets $155K ($160K sale price - $5K) and take a $15K loss on the mortgage.  Homeowner loses home which potentially had $27K in equity because you are never getting top dollar in an foreclosure auction.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 12:03:32 AM

No.  Although the OP makes it seem like that. 

Don't shoot the messenger. I did not try anything. Just copy pasted the title of the article without any personal comments.

But of course you are free to see it differently.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: