Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:07:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Safebit Bitcoin Wallet - Bitcoin Evolved [UPDATE!!!]  (Read 17151 times)
Eli (OP)

Activity: 128
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 03:54:08 AM

I've got thinking about payment processes in the last few days, and came up with a short presentation.

I'd really like to hear what you think of this.

PowerPoint file

Click the image to download the presentation file.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Serith

Activity: 269
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 05:33:45 AM

I've got thinking about payment processes in the last few days, and came up with a short presentation.

Is it just a teaser, or do you have plans to embed http://spendbitcoins.com/ payment process into Safebit? My question is how do you plan to make it possible to pay with bitcoins on Amazon?
Eli (OP)

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 02:26:25 PM

Is it just a teaser, or do you have plans to embed http://spendbitcoins.com/ payment process into Safebit? My question is how do you plan to make it possible to pay with bitcoins on Amazon?

I have the technical plans laid out in my head, but the above is more of a vision, but on getting the "Pay with Bitcoin" button on Amazon.com is something that will require more widespread use of Bitcoins besides the technicalities that revolve around it.
MatthewLM
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 03:57:07 PM

It can be modified, just not re-distributed at this time.
I would much rather have a massive effort supporting one free and open source Bitcoin client than having a tug of war between otherwise identical clients over single features.

How is it open-source if it has re-distribution copyright limitations?

You can make money if you maintain a widely used version through things such as paid support and sponsors such as embedding amazon shopping features (As you appear to show) into the program for some commission or fixed deal.

I don't know how you plan to make money though.
Eli (OP)

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 12:51:55 PM

How is it open-source if it has re-distribution copyright limitations?

Open-Source means that the source is open for everyone to view and review, it doesn't necessarily means that you can do whatever you want with the source (i.e. use it under a different brand and say that you've made the product).

You can make money if you maintain a widely used version through things such as paid support and sponsors such as embedding amazon shopping features (As you appear to show) into the program for some commission or fixed deal.

I don't know how you plan to make money though.

Like you've already concluded, Safebit will generate profits using surrounding services, like the Smart address book, Secure Store for your wallet file, secure offsite backup, and other services that I'm still developing in my head.

You can check out a small presentation I'm working on for potential investors over here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34175.0
dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 04:12:05 PM

The thing I want most of all in all the whole wide world is a way of managing multiple wallets and distributing funds between them.
Having to keep track of multiple wallets is a nightmare using the official client. I'm sick of renaming wallet.dat files and then trying to work out which wallet has what funds.
I want 99 encrypted wallets and 1 unencrypted with my money distributed throughout them all. I'm happy to wait 1/2 an hour for the wallets to be generated.
Eli (OP)

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 08:07:54 PM

The thing I want most of all in all the whole wide world is a way of managing multiple wallets and distributing funds between them.
Having to keep track of multiple wallets is a nightmare using the official client. I'm sick of renaming wallet.dat files and then trying to work out which wallet has what funds.
I want 99 encrypted wallets and 1 unencrypted with my money distributed throughout them all. I'm happy to wait 1/2 an hour for the wallets to be generated.

You can see that in the initial mock-ups there is a small line that shows which wallet file you're using.

This feature, of managing more than one wallet, is something that I too think is essential in a Bitcoin wallet, and it's going to be baked in to the client from the get-go, so you're in luck Smiley

By the way, why the unecrypted wallet? for day-to-day use?
phorensic

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 08:19:25 AM
Last edit: August 05, 2011, 02:17:39 PM by phorensic

Am I missing something or is there a way to compile this and test it out on Linux?  Currently testing bitcoin-qt.  Missing instruction on how to test this beautiful app.
elements

Activity: 182

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 08:56:30 AM

When will there be a version to test (Mac or Win)?

Thanks.

Looks great by the way!

»A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.« - Douglas Adams
Use the trusted German Bitcoin exchange: https://www.bitcoin.de/de/r/5wcwts
Tips & donations: BTC : 1MAQYNLp2VJ9wWhPYg5BnrbUGzdhGXopZw | CGB: 5bgQivyHJcSWTgvLfVW87Zj23M7mcFCVBF
Eli (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 02:29:23 PM

When will there be a version to test (Mac or Win)?

Thanks.

Looks great by the way!

Basically you could run this on Mac or Linux right now.

That being said, I wouldn't recommend anyone to start using it in any form at this time, it's in early stages of development, and bad things can happen to your coins if something goes wrong...
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2011, 01:11:09 AM
Last edit: August 07, 2011, 01:27:02 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

Hey, Eli. "The Phin" (seems like this guy changes his name weekly) here.

I've commissioned my brother-in-law to fashion a physical hand tooled leather wallet based on your images at http://bitco.tumblr.com/. It should be ready by the end of next week, whereupon I'll showcase it here on this forum.

I'm having him go with the currency symbol B as shown, unless members here want otherwise. The first wallet will, of course, be a simple prototype. But trust me, it can be as elaborate as you wish it to be, bearing in mind that it would increase the price. As an example, he develop his own lacing technique that's killer (but probably won't be included on the prototype wallet).

His qualifications include: tooling three seats for Steven Tyler of Aerosmith; a commissioned project for Jesse James; a seat for a special built for the USO, signed by Jay Leno, then auctioned off for charity; a hockey themed seat for a bike first seen by the public when rolled onto the NHL ice arena; and a myriad more works of art. His old school hand tooled leather seats and accessories have been shipped to every continent (with the exception of the one with all that ice) as well as to the major archipelago island nations. He's been featured in over a dozen motorcycle magazines, as well.

You may post that he's a bit overqualified to fashion a physical Bitcoin themed wallet, but don't bother. He's been commissioned to tool many wallets, purses, saddlebags, gun and rifle holsters, etc. Although I'm not at liberty to offer up his name, as of yet (for he's to much of a rebel to be associated with Bitcoin), you can view his handiwork if you image search, on Google, the phrase (without quotation marks) hand tooled leather seats (his art work is on the very FIRST PAGE). http://www.google.com/search?q=hand+tooled+leather+seats&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1280&bih=685#um=1&hl=en&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=hand+tooled+leather+seats&oq=hand+tooled+leather+seats&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=0l0l0l175321l0l0l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=b25f5f7e794d3a65&biw=1280&bih=685

If anybody's in the process of a Bitcoin themed custom built bike, consider my B-I-L for the tooled leather works.

Eli (OP)

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 05:11:27 AM

Not sure what you mean by that, is it aimed at me? That's the only name I've used on this forum.

I've commissioned my brother-in-law to fashion a physical hand tooled leather wallet based on your images at http://bitco.tumblr.com/. It should be ready by the end of next week, whereupon I'll showcase it here on this forum.

I WANT ONE!

I have an ear-to-ear grin right now, this is just so awesome as an idea! Smiley

Here's the highest resolution image that I have of the wallet:
elements

Activity: 182

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 10:01:23 AM

the wallet should include a special little section where you can slide in a sd card Wink

»A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.« - Douglas Adams
Use the trusted German Bitcoin exchange: https://www.bitcoin.de/de/r/5wcwts
Tips & donations: BTC : 1MAQYNLp2VJ9wWhPYg5BnrbUGzdhGXopZw | CGB: 5bgQivyHJcSWTgvLfVW87Zj23M7mcFCVBF
NetTecture

Activity: 140

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 10:48:03 AM

That is awesome. Make sure you get it as vector image - modern windows versions use a vector based UI unless the developer insists on using outdated UI technology Wink Not for the icons, but for everything else you want to have the XAML based representation so it can be easily scaled.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2011, 01:38:52 PM

Not sure what you mean by that, is it aimed at me? That's the only name I've used on this forum.

I WANT ONE!

I have an ear-to-ear grin right now, this is just so awesome as an idea! Smiley

Here's the highest resolution image that I have of the wallet:

Eli

Sorry for the misunderstanding. "The Phin" joke was making fun of myself. On a couple of other post, I've used Bruno which truly is my real name.

Thanks for the blow-up. I read in the next post that a member wants to make sure there's a credit card holder (I think he meant to say a Bitcoin Card holder). There will be. I was in my brother-in-law's studio last night hashing out some of the details.

Seeing that there's a little traction, I may start a thread on this, but it won't be till later today, for I'll be busy loading 5,000 BF of barn lumber for a client.
phorensic

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 03:58:50 PM

I'm having him go with the currency symbol B as shown, unless members here want otherwise. The first wallet will, of course, be a simple prototype. But trust me, it can be as elaborate as you wish it to be, bearing in mind that it would increase the price. As an example, he develop his own lacing technique that's killer (but probably won't be included on the prototype wallet).
The other most popular symbol for Bitcoin is the Thai Baht symbol ฿.  He could make both versions.
MatthewLM
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 09:58:05 PM

It's not really open source in the normal sense of open source software unless you allow modification and re-distribution. The additional services can still be provided if people were to modify the software, right? And if people wanted to sue your additional services they'd use your version. I see no reason why you can't make this modifiable.
Eli (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 12:06:07 PM

It's not really open source in the normal sense of open source software unless you allow modification and re-distribution. The additional services can still be provided if people were to modify the software, right? And if people wanted to sue your additional services they'd use your version. I see no reason why you can't make this modifiable.

From Wikipedia.org:
The term open source describes practices in production and development that promote access to the end product's source materials.

It saddens me to see that people demand more when already given a lot.
Safebit is open-source so that people could validate that the code that powers the client is not harming them in any way. The reason that at this moment the license does not allow redistribution of the code is because I'm devoting a 6-8 hours a day on top of my regular day job in this project, and I don't have the resources or the manpower to launch this project properly before it is ready.
If the license would allow redistribution than someone else could use the code and invest the funds and resources that I cannot at the moment, and simply build a product out of something that I have started and trying to make a living off.

Open Source means only one thing - that the source is open for review and to play around, it doesn't mean that I should or must allow anyone to do what ever they want with it.

The other major reason why I don't think this project should have distribution rights to anyone but the main developers is the issue of fragmentation of software. I'm strongly against the notion of design-by-committee which in my eyes hurts the project in both the short and long terms.

The Safebit project is and will always remain open-source and free to use, if you really want to contribute to the project, and what you want is to make this project work, you can right now, without redistributing it. The only problem that people tell me about the license is that they can't create a new project using this code, and this is exactly what the license prevents.

I see no reason why you can't make this modifiable.

I'll say it again: You can modify it anyway you like, the only thing you can't do is post the code or your modified code under a different name or distribute it any other way than the main distribution channel for the project.
dinox

Activity: 126

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 07:06:01 PM

I'll say it again: You can modify it anyway you like, the only thing you can't do is post the code or your modified code under a different name or distribute it any other way than the main distribution channel for the project.

Uhmm, but that means we can't fork your project on github and how is we then going to send you pull requests?

blockchain.info/fb/1dinox - 1Dinox3mFw8yykpAZXFGEKeH4VX1Mzbcxe
Active trader on #bitcoin-otc - See here - Proof that my nick is dinox here
Eli (OP)

View Profile
August 10, 2011, 01:22:29 PM

Uhmm, but that means we can't fork your project on github and how is we then going to send you pull requests?

Join the dev team. Developers interested in contributing to the project will get pushing rights to the original repository.

If you are interested send me your github username and I'll add you to the project.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: