Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 03:51:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Landmark Event For Bitcoin: First Full & Independent Wallet  (Read 10031 times)
oleganza

Activity: 200
Merit: 104

Software design and user experience.

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2013, 09:09:27 PM

Thanks for email address, I've sent you a message.

Offtopic: what do you mean by saying you are a "squatter"? Just for my education.

Bitcoin analytics: blog.oleganza.com / 1TipsuQ7CSqfQsjA9KU5jarSB1AnrVLLo

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
yokosan

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 09:17:21 PM

cool so when are you going to give the coins back to the people you stole from either intentionally or through criminal negligence?
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2013, 09:17:40 PM

Please don't do any more media appearances - this kind of work is better. - we appreciate this kind of work. Thank you Amir.

I am a squatter and anarchist. I'm not your yuppie making toy apps. I build tools for the people. If I don't conform to your vision of how Bitcoin should look like, then that's your problem.

+1  

Bitcoin is a worldwide community base from businessmen to anarchists, rich to poor and someday maybe even females will start to use it.  Smiley

Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 10:01:45 PM
Last edit: September 10, 2013, 10:19:32 PM by Carlton Banks

Very cool.

Though I'll repeat what I've told alternative implementers,

_Please_ do not mine on this until it at least passes the block tester. Inconsistencies in block validation can result in devastating forks which would be harmful to all Bitcoin users and not just the users of the inconsistent software. This is more of a risk today than it ever was since a majority of mining is just in three hands and so many people use SPV wallets.

This sounds just as much like a condemnation of the way the network has diversified as it does a plea to maintain stability for the common good. Has anyone ever come up with a good design for a non-sequential blockchain, i.e. the validity of one block does not depend upon network consensus? Sounds like a totally different logic to the Satoshi model, but I wonder whether so much reliance on the core dev client doesn't go against the decentralised ethos? "The Bitcoin model is that it has no central authority, apart from all the exceptions to this principle, of course"

Vires in numeris
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 10:13:57 PM

Nice! And much needed!
Down with all central points of failure!

Ente
ninjarobot

Activity: 761
Merit: 500

Mine Silent, Mine Deep

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 11:11:32 PM

cool so when are you going to give the coins back to the people you stole from either intentionally or through criminal negligence?

^ this. While I appreciate the work Amir is doing for the community, he left a lot of Bitcoiners hanging with Bitcoinica. Don't turn your back on us Amir.
Varicon

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 11:40:57 PM

Cool stuff.  If fewer people, businesses, and systems rely on the same systems, bitcoin becomes stronger.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 06:49:17 AM

Isn't there actually an Enterprise level bitcoin implementation independently written as well? I forget the name, but it's written by a hungarian guy.

more or less retired.
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2013, 07:20:09 AM

Isn't there actually an Enterprise level bitcoin implementation independently written as well? I forget the name, but it's written by a hungarian guy.
Bits of proof?

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
dave111223
Legendary

Activity: 1190

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2013, 07:48:03 AM

Offtopic: what do you mean by saying you are a "squatter"? Just for my education.

It's just a personal preference; requires some training though

crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 09:49:40 AM

Bits of proof?

Yez! Thats written from the ground up I believe, no?

more or less retired.
domob
Legendary

Activity: 1135
Merit: 1166

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2013, 10:51:14 AM

That's great news!  Regarding other implementations:  I think there's btcd in Go, is this what you guys mean?  I'm not sure about its status, but believe it is also going to be finished some time soon according to the initial comments.  I'm definitely looking forward to having multiple compatible but otherwise independent implementations!

Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/
Donations: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS | GPG 0xA7330737
meanig

Activity: 531
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 10:53:01 AM

Thanks for email address, I've sent you a message.

In the UK a squatter is a person who legally gains access to an abandoned building and starts living there. If the owner doesn't come forward to ask them to leave within a certain number of years the building eventually becomes the squatters property.

Up until last year it was a long and expensive process to evict a squatter in London but new rules have made it easier for a landlord to evict squatters from a residential home. It's still difficult to evict squatters from commercial buildings. In the case of commercial buildings police tactics are to raid the building because they believe there is a wanted person inside, then when they have everyone outside the landlord changes the locks.

London has an acute housing shortage. Planning regulations are extremely strict and the process of apply for permission to build a house can costs thousands of pounds. If you buy a field in the middle of nowhere and try to build a house it's very unlikely that the local council will allow you. There is no shortage of empty land around London. The regulations are in place solely to keep property prices high.

Successive governments have been stuffed full of property millionaires who only care about increasing the size of their portfolios. Banks have also played their part by allowing mortgage lending on large income multiples.

Building new homes and making accommodation cheaper is the antithesis of the landlord class politicians and the greedy baby boomers who vote for them. Anyone under the age of 35 who doesn't have rich parents is being screwed. Squatting is a perfectly reasonable way to say FUCK OFF to the politicians and banks. 

Just to show how fucking crazy London property is look at this shed for sale in north London. The asking price is £250,000!!!!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-36976334.html

Now look at the people who object to building homes. The green belt is the mythical area around cities which consists of empty fields. According to baby boomers saving these fields is more important than giving young people the chance to own a cheap home and start a family. These baby boomers are pure evil  Angry

I bet they all have defined benefit pensions too  Angry Angry

genjix (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1076

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 02:52:26 PM

Please stop this nonsense. I have given my heart and soul to Bitcoin for 3 years, opensource for 10+ years and profited nothing. I have 4 BTC and no other money. I have received no money from any of these rich & popular Bitcoin people. I am supported by good people who have not much themselves and don't really understand Bitcoin, but believe in me and what I value.

But I love Bitcoin, and am here forever. I promised myself this in summer 2010, and nothing has changed.
genjix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 02:56:43 PM

meanig gives a good explanation. The situation is deep, and the land is ours. It's been stolen by rulers and corruption. And then people work for a corrupt system that abuses, controls and limits them paying rent every month for a small box. But OK, if they want us to play this stupid economic game, we will just build our own markets, out-compete them and buy back the planet.

Empty property is everywhere in London. We occupied empty houses of the queen in January, and the police response was massive but we did a 9 hour resistance on the roof. The police would never react that way if your private property is occupied. The big response is for her majesty.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2257490/Riot-police-evict-squatters-exclusive-central-London-house-hold-rooftop-protest.html

In the G8, they sent 1000 police to arrest everybody protesting. I find it ironic that the G8 magazine had an article called "Protecting Digital Economies" talking about Bitcoin with such golden quotes like:

"alternative payment mechanisms, such
as Bitcoin and a host of others, can enable
criminal and terrorist groups to launder
money and fund their operations."

"Governments of the world have the ability
right now to ban these payment mechanisms."

"If treasuries and financial institutions
around the world were to block those
transactions and permit only legitimate
currencies to be used on the internet through
regulated payment service providers and
cards (such as Visa, MasterCard and American
Express), then the flow of many billions of
dollars to criminal groups would be stemmed."

"bring about a more safe and secure
internet environment for all citizens.
If the leaders of the European Union and
United States could be convinced to take a
lead on these initiatives, that would be a huge
contribution to making the internet a safe
place for financial transactions. At the same
time, it would also strike a blow against those
who would try to destroy the fabric of our the
world’s well-being."

I love the last sentence. Quick, the sleepwalking zombies are waking up!
genjix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 02:59:16 PM

libbitcoin is the first full reimplementation of the Bitcoin standard. It was started May 2011 by me and Patrick Strateman.

BitsOfProof and btcd are new entries into the space in the last few months, but there was nothing before.

This wallet is the first wallet (software you can use to do Bitcoin stuff, manages your keys in a wallet, creates transactions and has an interface) based off a full reimplementation. Other wallets either depended on bitcoind or were partial nodes.
saif313

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 07:40:33 PM

much needed Cheesy

LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2013, 12:04:58 AM

It's always appreciated to see an alternative and independent implementation. Thanks for your continuing efforts. I appreciate and sympathize with your values.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2013, 12:39:35 AM

Amir,

Well done! The more implementations we get the better able we are to see bugs (like the 0.8 issue).

Very cool.

Though I'll repeat what I've told alternative implementers,

_Please_ do not mine on this until it at least passes the block tester. Inconsistencies in block validation can result in devastating forks which would be harmful to all Bitcoin users and not just the users of the inconsistent software. This is more of a risk today than it ever was since a majority of mining is just in three hands and so many people use SPV wallets.

We need a robust plan for analyzing this; was one of the Bitcoin Foundation grants given to address this?

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
genjix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 01:33:04 PM

Can this client build Block templates and accept/propagate block solutions on the network? Does it have a name yet? (I thought sx was the name of your toolset?)

This is a wallet. libbitcoin is the client and can do any Bitcoin thing you want really because it has a powerful API: http://libbitcoin.dyne.org
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: