Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:33:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin has gone over $0.40 on mtgox  (Read 4194 times)
Nefario (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2011, 04:07:18 AM

Just had a look, it's staying steady over 0.40 and even hit a high of 0.45

I'm rich......er that I was, exciting times.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
chris200x9
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1011

View Profile
January 22, 2011, 04:25:29 AM

can it hit 50 cents by months end?
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12968

View Profile
January 22, 2011, 04:27:34 AM

I was just going through all of my account histories, and it struck me how hugely the value of Bitcoins have risen. Not even a year ago I was making trades like this:

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2011, 04:47:40 AM

Haha, I particularly like the canceled 1.4 cent trade.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12968

View Profile
January 22, 2011, 05:09:52 AM

My 0.003 trades were actually below the market rate of the time, and may in fact be the lowest-value BTC trades ever. I had measured that it only cost me 0.0007 USD per BTC in electricity (at 7.8 difficulty), so 0.003 seemed sufficient to me...

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Nefario (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2011, 05:43:59 AM

It is very possible, at this rate it could easily reach parity with the dollar by July.

There is the very real danger that btc is becoming a bubble. I think a lot of people buying into btc are doing it only because they expect it to rise. Which will happen, but wont continue forever unless it is being used to trade goods and services.

I think too little of bitcoin activity is around goods and services whike most is around exchanging.

Although, many people here are Libertarian, and are buying bitcoin for the long term as it is a Libertarians dream curreny( there is of course gold and silver, but until you can send those in the email then btc is better for international trade), but I'm not sure by what amount.

kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
January 22, 2011, 05:57:04 AM

I think too little of bitcoin activity is around goods and services whike most is around exchanging.

Exchanging is a very valuable purpose, especially in a world where it is hard to get money into bitcoin. I also think the number of goods and services are increasing.

You can already pay your phone bills directly in bitcoin, advertise on sites, tip people, magazine to write for, and so on.

I felt like I am getting riches from these sources of income since I now have 469.22 BTC.

Nefario (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2011, 05:59:17 AM

Exchanging is a very valuable purpose, especially in a world where it is hard to get money into bitcoin. I also think the number of goods and services are increasing.

You can already pay your phone bills directly in bitcoin, advertise on sites, tip people, magazine to write for, and so on.

I am already getting rich from these sources, and more.

A magazine to write for? Who is paying in btc for articles? What kind of articles are they looking for?

FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2011, 06:00:59 AM

It is very possible, at this rate it could easily reach parity with the dollar by July.

There is the very real danger that btc is becoming a bubble. I think a lot of people buying into btc are doing it only because they expect it to rise. Which will happen, but wont continue forever unless it is being used to trade goods and services.

Although, many people here are Libertarian, and are buying bitcoin for the long term as it is a Libertarians dream curreny( there is of course gold and silver, but until you can send those in the email then btc is better for international trade), but I'm not sure by what amount.

If I was going to launch a huge awesome killer app for bitcoin I'd buy up a bunch before announcing. There may be lots of hidden (to us) information driving the price.

kiba
Legendary

View Profile
January 22, 2011, 06:11:12 AM

A magazine to write for? Who is paying in btc for articles? What kind of articles are they looking for?

fabianhjr and I are working on content for next week's issue for The Bitcoin Times. We also already have two advertisers lined up.

We're the only writers at the moment, since nobody else wants to write for the magazine.

Nefario (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2011, 06:18:02 AM

fabianhjr and I are working on content for next week's issue for The Bitcoin Times. We also already have two advertisers lined up.

We're the only writers at the moment, since nobody else wants to write for the magazine.

pm me a topic or two and a general idea of size and I will see what I can do, you can decide after if you want to include it.

Cdecker

Activity: 489
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2011, 01:36:50 PM

I think the growth will be slowed down as soon as we hit 0.50$ because someone has an order in place, selling 20'000 BTC at 0.51$ and it will take some time to work that down. Hopefully we'll get over that one fast enough :-)

Want to see what developers are chatting about? http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/
Bitcoin-OTC Rating
Nefario (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2011, 02:03:21 PM

I think the growth will be slowed down as soon as we hit 0.50$ because someone has an order in place, selling 20'000 BTC at 0.51$ and it will take some time to work that down. Hopefully we'll get over that one fast enough :-)

I have not used mtgox, is he the one doing the exchange or is he just running a market?

If he is the one doing the exchane himself then yes the price will drop for a while( shouldnt be more than one or two weeks ). However if he is just running a market then it wont effect price at all, there must be a buyer for that 20,000 btc. It just means the market will be very liquid over that price for buying btc and under that price other btc sellers will be filling orders.

Either way mtgox moves that amount in one day at this point.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2011, 02:25:46 PM

I have not used mtgox, is he the one doing the exchange or is he just running a market?

If he is the one doing the exchane himself then yes the price will drop for a while( shouldnt be more than one or two weeks ). However if he is just running a market then it wont effect price at all, there must be a buyer for that 20,000 btc. It just means the market will be very liquid over that price for buying btc and under that price other btc sellers will be filling orders.

Either way mtgox moves that amount in one day at this point.

He is just running a market; others make the bids and asks. A large offer can slow down price movements. There is no guarantee that some person or people will want to pay that much. It could take a minute or months. We sat with with an order of at least 15k at 34 cents for a month I think, then it was all bought up in two days.

Sultan

Activity: 214
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 22, 2011, 02:32:14 PM

Something like MTGox is a good indicator of the price of BitCoin at that time considering there are many buy orders from many people (demand) and many sell orders from many people (supply).

It all reaches a natural equilibrium to relate its true price. But the worries are if the price is based on speculation or actual value at that time. Speculators will be the doom of BitCoin.

http://images.onbux.com/banner.gif
I then use the money to buy BitCoins. You can too!
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
January 22, 2011, 02:39:14 PM

It all reaches a natural equilibrium to relate its true price. But the worries are if the price is based on speculation or actual value at that time. Speculators will be the doom of BitCoin.

What ya talking about? We got a big crash from .50 cents at one time. It didn't doomed bitcoin.

Sultan

Activity: 214
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 22, 2011, 02:40:33 PM

That was a mini-Doom, but maybe there will be the major-Doom to come...

http://images.onbux.com/banner.gif
I then use the money to buy BitCoins. You can too!
Mahkul

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Every saint has a past. Every sinner has a future.

View Profile
January 22, 2011, 02:43:39 PM

What would you guys think would happen if someone bought those 20,000 of BTC today at 0.51$?
S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 22, 2011, 02:52:09 PM

then the barrier at 0.5-0.51 would be broken and prices ready to attack 1.0-1.3

caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 22, 2011, 03:13:18 PM

Speculators will be the doom of BitCoin.

No, they won't.
http://mises.org/daily/4466
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: