Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:55:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin making alts useless  (Read 1627 times)
Praesidium

Activity: 409
Merit: 103

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 06:10:05 PM

So even If we have some people using alts currently because they believe they are better then bitcoin (which may be true), bitcoin is evolving and the development is super active and exciting times are coming. I honestly believe that this make alts useless (say, by the end of the year), your thoughts?
I agree with bitcoin's improvement for the past months it is really active, but we cant say that bitcoin makes alts useless, because there are some alts that has a perks if you're holding their token, plus we can't just hold a single type of crypto because there will be always misshape that may happen what if eventually bitcoin dies? You dont have extra assets in your wallet since you go all-in in a single coin, that's why investing into many kinds of coins/token is not a bad thing too.
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Rizwan Javed

Activity: 149
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 06:23:21 PM

I think some altcoins can be similar or like btc but they are different in popularity and i'm sure that btc is more popular because it's already better in many ways like mode of payments and a bank with own private keys.
ksiazek7

Activity: 154
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 07:09:09 PM

We probably have multiple alts that one could consider as better version of bitcoin but as you're noticing, bitcoin is gaining more popularity and a fast growth. The price is not a measure of a coin success so what I'm referring to here is the the number of ATMs, exchanges, stores, services, and people accepting it.

So even If we have some people using alts currently because they believe they are better then bitcoin (which may be true), bitcoin is evolving and the development is super active and exciting times are coming. I honestly believe that this make alts useless (say, by the end of the year), your thoughts?

This seems very extreme to me.  I mean if Bitcoin can keep the Transaction fees down and keep up super high TPS that are on par with newer coins that are directly trying to replace it sure those coins would become worthless imo.  So many other alts that are doing something different like setting up platforms for countless ideas many many many have very real world applications and will have a huge impact.

A T O M Z  ǁ  Cryptocurrency Investing Done Easy
▔▔▔▔▔▔  ❨❨   Token Sale Starts Soon   ❩❩  ▔▔▔▔▔▔
cryptotaste

Activity: 84

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 08:23:22 AM

I completely agree with you. A lot of coins will be made completely useless with time, because they will eventually lose the edge they have over bitcoin.
thorium232

Activity: 224
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2018, 09:01:36 AM
Merited by BigBoozie (2)

BTC is not evolving. It becomes more expensive due to the fact that it's getting smaller and more difficult to mine. There are some alts that have financial meaning - ETH, LTC, DASH. Especially ETH although in itself it does not refer to digital money like LTC. If we are talking about evolution alts are constantly evolving. As money and as part of technology.
coinnumber

Activity: 504
Merit: 5

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 09:07:32 AM

I disagree with that Bitcoin is not making Altcoins uses. All coins has their usefulness same as that bitcoin. To me the difference between Bitcoin coin and every other coin is the popularity and the achievement they have made before the arrivals of those other coin and I believe with time there will be competition Ethereum is already on the way.
W4terhouse

Activity: 147
Merit: 21

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 09:09:11 AM

There are a lot of helpful and meaningful altcoins so your Thread-Title is not that right. The diversity of the altcoins is extremly high.

Spiero7

Activity: 150

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 09:20:57 AM

Actually I begin to see it this way especially in recent weeks, Bitcoin price seems to be surging, I think still maintaining some equilibrium, while so many alt coins with ETH inclusive not getting anywhere near. I do believe, that Btc price should be a steeping stone for them all, but I have come to  realise that despite it seeming like that, every of these coins is the architect of either their misfortunes or fortunes
Bastime

Activity: 519
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 09:21:23 AM

I think it depends on an Altcoin project because there are some altcoins that is not related with Bitcoin and the market will decide what would be the price value of that coins.
There are more altcoins that is focusing on environment like WePower and Envion that would likely bring the best project in the future.
Soon and very soon Bitcoin will no longer paired into altcoins but also dollar or euro as well.

▄▄█████████▄▄
     ▄███▀▀       ▀▀███▄
   ▄██▀               ▀██▄
  ██▀ ▄▄             ▄▄ ▀██
 ██▀  ▐██████▄ ▄██████▌  ▀██
██▀    ██  ███ ███  ██    ▀██
██      █▄ ▐██ ██▌ ▄█      ██
██▄      ▀ ▐██ ██▌ ▀      ▄██
 ██▄        ██ ██        ▄██
  ██▄        ███        ▄██
   ▀██▄              ▄██▀
     ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
        ▀▀█████████▀▀
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██                                         
██████████  ▄▄  ██▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▄  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ██▄     
██          ██  ████████  ██  ████████  █████████  ████▄   
██          ██  ██        ██     ▄▄██▀  ██   ▄██▀  ██ ▀██▄ 
██          ██  ██        ██  ▄██▀▀     ██▄██▀▀    ██   ▀██▄
██████████  ██  ████████  ██  ████████  █████████  ██     ██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀     ▀▀

Finance

▄█▄    ▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
         ▄█████▄   ▀███████████
 █▄    ▄█████████    ██████████
 ███▄▄█████████▀   ▄██████████▌
 ████████████▀   ▄████████████
▐██████████▀   ▄█████████▀ ▀██
▐█████████▄   █████████▀     ▀
████████████▄  ▀█████▀
███████▀▀▀▀▀     ▀█▀

nguyenhoven

Activity: 248
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 09:26:50 AM

We probably have multiple alts that one could consider as better version of bitcoin but as you're noticing, bitcoin is gaining more popularity and a fast growth. The price is not a measure of a coin success so what I'm referring to here is the the number of ATMs, exchanges, stores, services, and people accepting it.

not at all. Not all altcoins are competitors to bitcoin, majority of them are just trying to be helpful somewhere else, mainly for ICO money raising purposes these days.

◈ HYPERQUANT ◈ Platform for Professional Asset Management  (https://goo.gl/wGkw41)
Bastime

Activity: 519
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 09:28:49 AM

There are a lot of helpful and meaningful altcoins so your Thread-Title is not that right. The diversity of the altcoins is extremly high.

Indeed, even with the altcoins today, they are valued without Bitcoin's pairing. Like Ripple, NEO and LiteCoin and other top altcoins.
Soon, there would be less market droppings because when Bitcoin dropped it will no longer drag down altcoins to it's price adjustments.

▄▄█████████▄▄
     ▄███▀▀       ▀▀███▄
   ▄██▀               ▀██▄
  ██▀ ▄▄             ▄▄ ▀██
 ██▀  ▐██████▄ ▄██████▌  ▀██
██▀    ██  ███ ███  ██    ▀██
██      █▄ ▐██ ██▌ ▄█      ██
██▄      ▀ ▐██ ██▌ ▀      ▄██
 ██▄        ██ ██        ▄██
  ██▄        ███        ▄██
   ▀██▄              ▄██▀
     ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
        ▀▀█████████▀▀
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██                                         
██████████  ▄▄  ██▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▄  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ██▄     
██          ██  ████████  ██  ████████  █████████  ████▄   
██          ██  ██        ██     ▄▄██▀  ██   ▄██▀  ██ ▀██▄ 
██          ██  ██        ██  ▄██▀▀     ██▄██▀▀    ██   ▀██▄
██████████  ██  ████████  ██  ████████  █████████  ██     ██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀     ▀▀

Finance

▄█▄    ▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
         ▄█████▄   ▀███████████
 █▄    ▄█████████    ██████████
 ███▄▄█████████▀   ▄██████████▌
 ████████████▀   ▄████████████
▐██████████▀   ▄█████████▀ ▀██
▐█████████▄   █████████▀     ▀
████████████▄  ▀█████▀
███████▀▀▀▀▀     ▀█▀

CONTRACT

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 09:43:34 AM

Bitcoin can not do all the altcoins useless, too many new and useful bring many altkoins, the market of altcoyins is very young and is actively developing, you are burying it early.

╞═◇═╡...CROWD MACHINE Powering the Next Generation of Blockchain App Builders...╞═◇═╡
WhitepaperLinkedinTwitterMediumTelegramYoutubeFacebookANN ThreadReddit
←←←←←←←←←←...WHITELIST Registration is OPEN...→→→→→→→→→→
LancelotRay

Activity: 168

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2018, 09:53:13 AM

What about the other way around? Won't new altcoins which are faster and perhaps an overall better coin (in tech, etc.) make bitcoin less important? One of the bigger things bitcoin has running for it is its hype and popularity. The altcoins are just smaller and less popular.
rocketbits

Activity: 532
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 10:09:51 AM

I believe altcoin is very useful, because altcoin is a source of revenues for crypto industry movement and will affect the price of bitcoin itself. So with altcoin it can make bitcoin prices change rapidly.
In my opinion, both bitcoin and altcoins have their own market and there is no way that bitcoin is making altcoins useless or vice versa. Both are being used for entirely different purpose and the ones who are investing in bitcoin have their own reasons to invest which are far different from the ones who have invested their money into altcoin. Bitcoin has nothing to do with the market of altcoin in any way.
Matdog
Copper Member

Activity: 462
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 10:34:57 AM

I believe altcoin is very useful, because altcoin is a source of revenues for crypto industry movement and will affect the price of bitcoin itself. So with altcoin it can make bitcoin prices change rapidly.
In my opinion, both bitcoin and altcoins have their own market and there is no way that bitcoin is making altcoins useless or vice versa. Both are being used for entirely different purpose and the ones who are investing in bitcoin have their own reasons to invest which are far different from the ones who have invested their money into altcoin. Bitcoin has nothing to do with the market of altcoin in any way.
If we have some people who use alts today because they believe that they’re better than bitcoin
I think some altcoins can be the same or like btc but they are different in popularity and when seen the price is not the size of the coin successful
usd.dev

Activity: 266

✹✹ Fluxorin.io ✹✹

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 10:38:41 AM

This story is far from new, in fact the market believes that Bitcoin should cost more and buy it in the hope of stable growth in x2 or x3. In the case of other coins, the risks are higher, and people are not willing to enter into them.  Cool

bitfornewbs

Activity: 168

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 10:40:29 AM

Indeed, even with the altcoins today, they are valued without Bitcoin's pairing. Like Ripple, NEO and LiteCoin and other top altcoins.
Soon, there would be less market droppings because when Bitcoin dropped it will no longer drag down altcoins to it's price adjustments.

Yes. Bitcoin is really taking the cake when it comes to attention. But there are so much good projects together with altcoins out there. Unlike bitcoin, altcoin comes with diversity. This what makes alt so good for us. There's a bunch of investors and a bunch of new fresh developments are coming through. It's just that most of them are getting dragged down by bitcoin during price dips but I don't think it will last because some alts are becoming better and better with their platform, system and other developments that are being done.
Cnut237
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1277

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 10:45:32 AM

I agree that bitcoin is doing well, and when LN arrives properly it will solve a lot of existing problems. Certainly many alts will become irrevelant, and many are irrelevant already.
However I don't think bitcoin makes all alts useless. Many of them have specific uses that are separate from the coin/token itself. For example even if bitcoin is lightning quick with low transaction fees, it doesn't offer smart contracts, and it doesn't offer complete anonymity, it won't be the best option for integration with IoT, etc.

Cookies_N_Cream

Activity: 94

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 10:50:04 AM

I think you have a point in this but we can't really blame BTC as it has been the first to be in crypto currency. Having alts on the contrary will make BTC have a little competition in the market so that it can improve its services. I think in the future there will be alts versus alts which is also happening nowadays.
wuvdoll
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1025

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 09:04:21 AM

I don't know why more people don't think about altcois for storage of value as well. There is Ethereum for example. The technology is superior to Bitcoin. It's like highspeed internet vs. dial-up.
Like they always say, when you are in Roman, you behave like a roman and as long as people are still seeing altcoins as a quick way to just make bucks, it would keep ending up that way. Not like some of them are not doing well, and some have grown over the years, so it is all about having patience on your holding, but no one can expect a coin to pump overnight and expect to see it keep growing. If the growth is not organic, then do not expect much. Moreover, bitcoin too had its own share, but that notwithstanding, it is obvious they are just in the shadow of bitcoin.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: